Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help fixing a Dell XPS M1330

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

My M1330 died 2 days ago...again. I've had the board replaced once or twice for gfx and once for the USB ports. I'm not impressed it's gone again, last board was only in since last September but system is out of warranty now so was thinking about getting the intel gfx board myself to prevent further failures. I had a look online but still not sure if the intel board will just slot straight in as a replacement - as in, I think there's some issue with the heatsink for the CPU. Can anyone confirm if there's an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No idea. Maybe you could link to where your getting this info about the heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Got it sorted...Intel gfx board slots straight in...different CPU heaksink required though (YT243) as the new board doesn't have a gfx chip to cool and the new heatsink is shorter to just cover the north bridge. The single mounting point at the end of the heatsink is located in different places on the two boards.

Anyway...back up and running again, and hopefully the Intel board will prolong the life of the M1330. Regarding the economics of fixing an older laptop like this: The M1330 is good looking, slim and light, has a 13.3" LED screen, T7500 2.2 core 2 duo with 4 gigs of RAM and windows 7 installed. If anyone can point me to a modern replacement for that spec at around €350 - €550 I'd be extremely grateful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wipednwired

My m1330's been out of commission since the mobo died (again) last month. Was thinking of one last attempt to revive it. (The mobo was replaced 4 times under warranty, I did the copper mod 3 months ago cool the GPU but it was too late after a year of overheating).

Wondering: did you considering buying the motherboards advertised as having a 'revised' NVIDIA chip? These sellers are clearly targeting anyone who knows about the NVIDIA fault, but how do I know it's a revised chip? I don't want to go with Intel one because I already sunk 40 quid into replacing the heatsink/fan.

Anyone out there try the new revised one, or know how I can ID it as different than mine?

Got it sorted...Intel gfx board slots straight in...different CPU heaksink required though (YT243) as the new board doesn't have a gfx chip to cool and the new heatsink is shorter to just cover the north bridge. The single mounting point at the end of the heatsink is located in different places on the two boards.

Anyway...back up and running again, and hopefully the Intel board will prolong the life of the M1330. Regarding the economics of fixing an older laptop like this: The M1330 is good looking, slim and light, has a 13.3" LED screen, T7500 2.2 core 2 duo with 4 gigs of RAM and windows 7 installed. If anyone can point me to a modern replacement for that spec at around €350 - €550 I'd be extremely grateful :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If anyone can point me to a modern replacement for that spec at around €350 - €550 I'd be extremely grateful :pac:

You'll get an ASUS 13.3" laptop for €549 at komplett. It comes with a Pentium B950 and a Geforce 520M. Although 50% faster than your T7500 (Passmark), i'd rather recommend the same model with a 2nd Generation Core i3 for €599.

• Advertisement

My m1330's been out of commission since the mobo died (again) last month. Was thinking of one last attempt to revive it. (The mobo was replaced 4 times under warranty, I did the copper mod 3 months ago cool the GPU but it was too late after a year of overheating).

Wondering: did you considering buying the motherboards advertised as having a 'revised' NVIDIA chip? These sellers are clearly targeting anyone who knows about the NVIDIA fault, but how do I know it's a revised chip? I don't want to go with Intel one because I already sunk 40 quid into replacing the heatsink/fan.

Anyone out there try the new revised one, or know how I can ID it as different than mine?

There no point in replacing the Nvidia board with another one. Nvidia never fixed the problem. Which is why all the replacements failed for you. The revised chip sounds like a scam to me. If they'd corrected it, it would be widespread knowledge. Get the intel board only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pprendeville

BostonB wrote: »
    Its not a graphics card, the chip is on the motherboard. You have to replace the whole thing.

Motherboard with intel graphics is gm848
    The lowest CPU you can install is a T5250 1.50GHz 2M/667 SLA9S.

Search for either online will give you an idea of prices.

Just bear in mind you can buy a new laptop with Windows, full warranty and a much more modern spec, for 350~550. So don't spend too much on the old machine. If you can get it up and running for less than 150 its harder to call.

I'm going to China for a few weeks in the summer to visit my inlaws. I'm going to bring over this laptop and have these parts installed over there as I rekon it will work out much cheaper.

Just to confirm:
    1. Is it the motherboard, CPU & graphics card that need to be replacing?
    2. Does a standard intel graphics card come with a motherboard.

Sorry, not very tech friendly when it comes to computer components.

The graphic card on these laptops is integrated into the motherboard. Its all one part. Its called integrated graphics.

So its the motherboard only. (In most cases). The cooling fans, heatsinks I assume are different for the Intel motherboards the Nvida motherboard. As the Nvida one needs more cooling. You may need those parts also.

So it's just the mobo that needs to be replaced with the model you mentioned and the Nvidia graphics card can come out also? Can mention that a bit more cooling is desirable to laptop shop of which there are no shortage of in China.

Yes. Just the mothboard. There is no graphics card as such. Its just a chip on the motherboard. And no you can't replace it. Even if you could theres no point all the Nvidia chips have the flaw.

• Advertisement

Getting this fitted with a GM848 here in China for approx €60. Motherboards can be bought on taobao which is like the Chinese equivalent of eBay. Also took it to a Chinese computer shop on Parnell Street (Hanlin Cafe I think) in advance of this trip and they repaired it for about €50. A complete motherboard replacement with them was €100 to €150 but if you know Chinese people it's cheaper.

Advertisement