Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help fixing a Dell XPS M1330

Options
  • 22-09-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Having a problem with my Dell XPS M1330. Motherboard seems to be gone. Apparently it happens a lot due to overheating caused by graphics card I believe. Took this from Youtube:

"It's the video chip. What happen is the chip over heats and it slightly pops up off the board. What I do is I hot gun back on the board. My friend has the same identical laptop as your's and I read that the Dell M1330 has a GPU overheating issue. During extensive use the GPU gets hot and overtime it will pop off the board. That is why you have stream liens in your screen. What I did to my friends laptop is place copper shim which as a mini heat sink for the GPU to keep it cool."

Happened before and we had laptop under warranty. That's expired now. Questions are as follows.

1: Anyone got a landline number for getting in touch with Dell Tech Support(can't find one on saynoto11890.com (dislike calling 11850, 11890 numbers etc)?

2. Anyone know how much it costs to renew a warranty with Dell and if we do would it be cheaper than replacing the motherboard?

3: Has anyone had this prob themselves and what did they do?

4: Does anyone know of a laptop repair person in Dublin that would fix this prob and maybe advise on what to do to prevent it from happening again in the future?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

If it's under 2 years old ring dell and tell them about the problem. I had the same issue. My warranty was only 1 year. That problem is covred by 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭halkar

1: Anyone got a landline number for getting in touch with Dell Tech Support(can't find one on saynoto11890.com (dislike calling 11850, 11890 numbers etc)?

Dell used to have XPS support lines to call. Not sure if they still have it. You will through rocky roads on Dell support lines with many stupid questions asked :D Good luck on this one.
    2. Anyone know how much it costs to renew a warranty with Dell and if we do would it be cheaper than replacing the motherboard?

I don't think they will give you extended waranty after the mobo fried. They may but I think it will be costly. They did extend the waranty for this problem on xps 1330s for 1 year. If you bought your laptop 2 years ago you they should be able to replace. Again you may have to fight for this.
    3: Has anyone had this prob themselves and what did they do?
    I have the same laptop for almost 3 years now. Had the same problem during my 1 year waranty period. Got it replace. After waranty expired I put another heatsink on the gpu and used better paste. Similiar to the copper shim mode. I do not play games but still gets hot sometimes. I also clean the wents at the back regularly to keep the airflow. I have not had any issues since.
    4: Does anyone know of a laptop repair person in Dublin that would fix this prob and maybe advise on what to do to prevent it from happening again in the future?

You can buy replacement motherboards from Ebay or online retailers. I would guess they are around 200€ without cpu. If you know inside the laptop (you can get the documentation from Dell site), good with screwdrivers and brave enough, you can replace the mobo in less then hour. If you go for a repair it will cost you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pprendeville

€10 to fix it, i.e. get an engineer to come out an replace the motherboard. just going to look around and get prices in laptop shops. any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had a similar problem with mine (overheating and shutting down if I played a graphically intensive game for 1 minute), emailed them outside the 1 year warranty and they eventually caved in and came out and replaced the mobo free of charge.

This is a widely documented design fault, I wouldn't even consider paying to renew the warranty if I were you. Be prepared for a bit of a fight though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

€10 to fix it, i.e. get an engineer to come out an replace the motherboard. just going to look around and get prices in laptop shops. any recommendations?

10 euro for what ?

• Advertisement

sorry €410, not €10.

tman wrote: »
    Had a similar problem with mine (overheating and shutting down if I played a graphically intensive game for 1 minute), emailed them outside the 1 year warranty and they eventually caved in and came out and replaced the mobo free of charge.

This is a widely documented design fault, I wouldn't even consider paying to renew the warranty if I were you. Be prepared for a bit of a fight though!

what exactly do you say to them? i'm the one who needs the laptop fixed, not them who want to fix it if you know what i mean so i'm not sure how to make my case. how exactly did they cave in for you? should i just tell them they are obliged to help me out seeing as the fault lies with them, ask to speak to manage bla bla bla?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

what exactly do you say to them? i'm the one who needs the laptop fixed, not them who want to fix it if you know what i mean so i'm not sure how to make my case. how exactly did they cave in for you? should i just tell them they are obliged to help me out seeing as the fault lies with them, ask to speak to manage bla bla bla?

Don't go in all guns blazing just yet. Just give them a call and tell them the problem and take it from there.

sorry €410, not €10.

jayus :eek:, phone them up and say theres a manufacturing defect on it and you will sue them , and there are a few other threads of people who got them out and not being charged look them up

duckysauce wrote: »
    jayus :eek:, phone them up and say theres a manufacturing defect on it and you will sue them , and there are a few other threads of people who got them out and not being charged look them up

so ou think I shouldn't go for the softly softly approach and just DO go in all guns blazing. right, will look uo threads and see if others have done this. cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

How old is the laptop?

Don't go in all guns blazing. You'll have to go through all their useless checks. If it's under 2 years you'll have a tech out within 2 days to replace the motherboard.

Describe the problem to them and mention that you have read about it on line and your problem is as described on these threads.

If that doesn't work and you get no where then step it up a bit. Mention that it is not fit for the job it was built to do. Ask them if they have extended the warranty to 2 years then they admit there is a problem in the design and you would like it resolved. No joy there ask to speak to a manager. If that gets you no where maybe mention small claims court because the product you were sold is not fit for the use it was design for.

sorry €410, not €10.

I would not pay this much to get it fixed. Even replacements can fail again. For another hundred or two you can get a new laptop and piece of mind.

Just off the phone from Dell's Premium Support Service (1850 637 736) and got a very similar reply as Kimia’s (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68140028&postcount=34). Spoke to 4 separate people. Here’s how it went (took liberty of recording the conversation).

Person 1 (Name unknown, F): Took service tag and put me through to XPS Tech Support

Person 2 (Ruben, M): Explained to him that I called yesterday and spoke to a colleague of his who quoted me a price of €410 to replace the MOBO and €160 to renew the warranty. Also told him I had just got off the phone from the Irish National Consumer Agency (which by the way only took 1 minute to get through to and the first person I spoke to answered my questions clearly and concisely) and they had informed me of my rights according to The Sales of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 which entitled me to a repair, refund or replacement free of charge due to the fact that the original fault, which they fixed while the computer was under warranty, had returned, i.e. faulty motherboard. Also informed him that I got no quotations emailed to me which were promised in original conversation which took place yesterday (22 Sept 2010). Explained to him that this is a generic fault and I’m well within my rights. He said and I quote he “believed a replacement or a refund would definitely not be an option, however with regard to a repair, they would check what options are currently available.” He put me through to the out of warranty team (people I’d spoken to yesterday 22 Sept 2010)

Person 3 (Arun, M): Confirmed my ID, phone no, email. Discussed problem with laptop and he offered to organise a repair (no price mentioned at this stage) so I told him I’d researched this particular problem, i.e. MOBO frying cause of GPU heating up. Every chance of fault happening again even if it’s replaced, quoted what NCA told me, and told him I’m entitled to a replacement or refund. He told me “that was not correct…and they might be able to get the repairs done at a reduced price, it’s the maximum they can offer. The reason being…when they replace a peripheral they’re expected to cover it under warranty for a period of 90 days which has passed. The MOBO was replaced back then. The issue that I’m referring to was limited to a certain number of cards for which an external warranty of a years time is provided and that does not apply as the MOBO has already been replaced and the symptom for that is distorted graphics, not low power, in this particular case there is no power going into the computer. This issue does not come under any warranty……”. Went back to stating that The Act covers me regardless of what he just told me. Computer isn’t working, same fault apparently. Repeated that likelihood of problem occurring again is quite high and that there’s loads of reports on the internet about this particular fault. Reply was “there’s a lot of rumors about a lot of things on forums” and again repeated that this issue is not covered under any warranty. “If I want a service done it can be done at a reduced price”. Stated my desire to get a replacement laptop or a refund and was told those option are not available. Asked to speak to his supervisor.

Person 4 (Sarala, F): Had difficulty in getting this name for a while. Gave her the same old spiel about talking to NCA and what I believe I’m entitled to, i.e. a refund or a replacement machine (not bothering with the free repair anymore – going out all guns blazing). Told again that due to laptop being out of warranty, I can’t get a replacement or refund. Explained what I’d been told by NCA and I was holding out on that and if necessary would take the matter to the small claims court should I not receive what I believe I’m entitled to (not in a threatening manner however, was very courteous throughout). Was told I’d be getting a callback from customer relations tomorrow (24 Sept) between 10 and 5 as they deal with complaints. Asked would I be guaranteed of getting a call and she said “they’re as good as they’re word” in relation to getting a callback.

Total call time: 25:05

So this seems to be a similar situation to Kimia (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68140028&postcount=34). Wonder will they offer to repair the laptop for free. Going to stick to my guns and see how it goes. Will write a letter tonight and send it off tomorrow regardless what happens. Have the template for NCA so fingers crossed.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

how old is the laptop?

I had a motherboard replaced out of warranty under the extra year for nvidia issues as mentioned by a few people above. that one failed also and I had it replaced with an intel graphics version, been fine since.

Didn't pay for any of it, but took a fair bit of cajoling and constant pressure on them. Be persistant and polite..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Was told I’d be getting a callback from customer relations tomorrow (24 Sept) between 10 and 5 as they deal with complaints. Asked would I be guaranteed of getting a call and she said “they’re as good as they’re word” in relation to getting a callback.

ok, its now 16:42! did they call? what happened?

dont keep us in suspense! really want to know how this turns out!

sorry to keep you in suspense. we're having a cake sale tomorrow and were baking all day yesterday but I had my phone and my wife's phone (the alterntive number for getting in touch) by my side all day. and guess what, they didn't call. wasn't too surprised by that.

I've attached a .amr file which works for me on realplayer.basically it's the supervisors (Person 4: Sarala) guarantee that they would call me back. i didn't get a chance to write the complaint letter so I'd better do it asap. Oh I see that you cn't attach this type of file. Here's a link to where it can be downloaded.

http://www.box.net/shared/fcxyk0qjt8

Let me know your thoughts please. have to recover data from the hard drive next. was told a usb hard disk caddy is the way to go. where could i get one in Dublin does anyone know?

.... have to recover data from the hard drive next. was told a usb hard disk caddy is the way to go. where could i get one in Dublin does anyone know?
    You can get a drive enclosure here :

NEON 2.5" SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Polished Aluminium - Black Edition
    Based in Ireland. Should be quick for delivery.
    You need to take the hard drive of the laptop and put in the enclosure. Hard drive is on the left hand side and 4 screws holding it. Once screws out you just pull the drive out and take the handle of it off. You will be able to access the drive from any computer with Usb.

Dell site with instructions on how to remove hard drive.

got a dynamode caddy in PC orld for 20quid and worked a treat. thank God.

only prob now is there's a DVD stuck in the DVD drive and it's slot load. have posted a new thread in relation to this so don't want to double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

I had that proiblem for a clients HP Laptop. The Gpu needed to either be rebailed or reflowed. Ended up Reflowing it and it passes all stress tests so it work. I just need to get a copper shim for it as the cooling is terrible in the first place and lash on the artic silver, Does any one know in dublin where to get copper shims?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭liko

I have the same problem although it is second mobo in this Hell XPS ;/ I'm going to buy replacement in Hong Kong (100euro with shipment, new, unused mobo) and replace it my self... Service engineers in Ireland are all crooks they want to rob us in broad day light and still smile and say into your face that this is very complicated thing to do while it really isn't :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

liko wrote: »
    I have the same problem although it is second mobo in this Hell XPS ;/ I'm going to buy replacement in Hong Kong (100euro with shipment, new, unused mobo) :/
    Don't forget about tax, cuz customs office gonna charge You.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭liko

Hmm maybe I'll ask them to put "warranty return" label on it :) it is after all piece of second hand junk ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

same thing just happened me and my XPS-M1530 which is about 5 years old at this stage. The machine crashes and has visible lines, etc. on startup afterwards. Reflowing with a hairdryer works, but only for as long as it takes the GPU to heat up again, which is about 10 minutes of operation.

I'm trying to think of ways to salvage it... I may try and get a shim with new thermal paste.

liko wrote: »
    I have the same problem although it is second mobo in this Hell XPS ;/ I'm going to buy replacement in Hong Kong (100euro with shipment, new, unused mobo) and replace it my self... Service engineers in Ireland are all crooks they want to rob us in broad day light and still smile and say into your face that this is very complicated thing to do while it really isn't :/

did it work for you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Patrickmcd8

Hey guys I was wondering can I have advice, I got my xps 1330 in december 2008, and I'm not joking I've have dell engineers come out 5/6 times....I think it's being 5motherboards, 4 or 5 hard drives, 5/6heat syncs....etc....I have the extended warrantee for another 18months... Now they are refusing to fix my laptop, saying I have to fix the operating systems myself or they won't replace my parts...but they acknowledge that the laptop is faulty...in fact they came out 4 weeks ago and it's gone again.

I know of the graphics card problem and the overheating...but at this stage I'm sick of the stress of knowing my laptop dies all to often. I'm thinking small claims court.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Hey guys I was wondering can I have advice, I got my xps 1330 in december 2008, and I'm not joking I've have dell engineers come out 5/6 times....I think it's being 5motherboards, 4 or 5 hard drives, 5/6heat syncs....etc....I have the extended warrantee for another 18months... Now they are refusing to fix my laptop, saying I have to fix the operating systems myself or they won't replace my parts...but they acknowledge that the laptop is faulty...in fact they came out 4 weeks ago and it's gone again.

I know of the graphics card problem and the overheating...but at this stage I'm sick of the stress of knowing my laptop dies all to often. I'm thinking small claims court.

Any advice welcome. Thanks
    I recommend you go ahead and take them to Small Claims Court. It's only €18 but that's not the point. The point is is that they should have recalle these pieces of crap and refunded customers or gave them the option of an alternative replacement. As you are in warranty having, I assume, upgraded it, they can't refuse to fix it. Unfortunately I bought the laptop 2nd hand and had no right to go to SCC although I had made the application only to be told it wouldn't be upheld. Tried asking to person I bought it from to make the claim but he was in process of getting Irish citizenship so wouldn't which annoyed me but understandable I suppose. Dell should be thinking of customer service. I wouldn't buy from them again on this principle, not because of the quality of product but because of the customer service I got. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Patrickmcd8: Hey guys I was wondering can I have advice, I got my xps 1330 in december 2008, and I'm not joking I've have dell engineers come out 5/6 times....I think it's being 5motherboards, 4 or 5 hard drives, 5/6heat syncs....etc....I have the extended warrantee for another 18months... Now they are refusing to fix my laptop, saying I have to fix the operating systems myself or they won't replace my parts...but they acknowledge that the laptop is faulty...in fact they came out 4 weeks ago and it's gone again.

Same for me, i have the XPS M1530, its three years old this December, i bought the extended warranty thank god. Like yourself i have had the motherboard replaced 5 times, DVD drive replaced, hard drive replaced and some other minor bits. I really look after the laptop and will never buy a Dell again. I will buy a new laptop soon as once the warranty is up on the XPS as when it breaks again its going in the bin. Piece of s**t.

On a positive note i found the support to be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We have a XPS M1330 4yrs old and never had a problem with it. But its has lesser CPU and the Intel GFX, so it doesn't get hot.

Theres no point putting the same Nvidia board back in. It will just fail again. You need to get the Intel one. I'd also suggest if you have a fairly hot CPU replace it with something a little be cooler. The CPU's are cheap to pickup. Ours also has the bigger battery which raise up the rear of the laptop, further aiding the airflow underneath.

That Nvida chipset failed everywhere including Apple machines.

BostonB wrote: »
    We have a XPS M1330 4yrs old and never had a problem with it. But its has lesser CPU and the Intel GFX, so it doesn't get hot.

Theres no point putting the same Nvidia board back in. It will just fail again. You need to get the Intel one. I'd also suggest if you have a fairly hot CPU replace it with something a little be cooler. The CPU's are cheap to pickup. Ours also has the bigger battery which raise up the rear of the laptop, further aiding the airflow underneath.

That Nvida chipset failed everywhere including Apple machines.

Could you possibly send on links to these parts as to where they can be bought, i.e. CPU nd cheaper graphics card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its not a graphics card, the chip is on the motherboard. You have to replace the whole thing.

Motherboard with intel graphics is gm848
    The lowest CPU you can install is a T5250 1.50GHz 2M/667 SLA9S.

Search for either online will give you an idea of prices.

Just bear in mind you can buy a new laptop with Windows, full warranty and a much more modern spec, for 350~550. So don't spend too much on the old machine. If you can get it up and running for less than 150 its harder to call.

Advertisement