Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Please god"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Thank God for free speech, please God we will always have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I dont think the phrase "....please god, muhammed, buddha, confucious, ra, flying spaghetti monster, unspecified higher being or nobody" is gonna catch on anytime soon. Best stick to what we know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Min wrote: »
    Thank God for free speech, please God we will always have it.

eh, that went out of window long ago thanks to Irish blasphemy law . Also try to crack a joke about Islam and you'll see how far your "free speech" goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Somebody hand this fine fan of the Enlightenment a copy of voltaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Sure "MILEY" used always say "Well Holy God" and guess what, he was a self professed atheist? Just habit, I guess, using these OIRISH SAYINGS,,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Voltaire was a deist. He didn't go as far as to say God didn't exist :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When did people start becoming so whiny at the merest mention of God or religion? :confused:

May God watch over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Just watching the news on RTE and caught that annoying president person at the ploughing championships doing her impression of a salt of the earth Irish person. "hopefully the economy will improve please god" or words to that effect.

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only god believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?

I don't care if our President has private religious beliefs but spare me the sanctimoniousness please.
    Mary Banotti, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Maybe its news to some of you but there are lots of people who do not regard the phrase "please god" as "part of what we are".
    It's certainly news to me - I'd have thought most people don't really think about it.
    Can't really see where it was maintained that it's "part of what we are" either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Maybe its news to some of you but there are lots of people who do not regard the phrase "please god" as "part of what we are". I had hoped that people like the Pres and Marian "because I'm worth it" Finucane and her like were part of a dying breed.

WTF? Some people believe in God, some don't. Most people don't care what ye believe in as long as it doesn't affect them. It's a saying, when she says it, it probably has zero meaning and represents noone and even if she does mean it, so what?
    Even for AH that's a pointless rant and i'd wonder how anyone could get through their day if they even notice this stuff let alone be bothered by it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm an atheist and I have to say I quite like "Please god" and all of the other Irishisms - who wants a generic language with none of the history or personality to match the country that speaks it? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Jakkass wrote: »
    The president has to change her language to pander to non-believers?

Way to generalise there Jakkass. You never miss an opportunity, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

You're some dryballs OP biy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Just watching the news on RTE and caught that annoying president person at the ploughing championships doing her impression of a salt of the earth Irish person. "hopefully the economy will improve please god" or words to that effect.

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only god believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?

I don't care if our President has private religious beliefs but spare me the sanctimoniousness please.

And that is the most annoying thing that happened in your life today?

What's wrong with using common expressions, after all goodbye is a shortened version of "god be with you" Slán agus beanacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

She used the Lord's name in vain? Thanks for telling us OP. That's really shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why couldn't Michael Jackson have lived another year!?!?!

Propofol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My Gods; Madonna Kylie and Gaga as a blessed Trinity...

even they cant save the Irish Economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

efb wrote: »
    My God's Madonna Kylie and Gaga as a blessed Trinity...

god forbid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Jakkass wrote: »
    Voltaire was a deist. He didn't go as far as to say God didn't exist :p
    In fact he even implied that God does exist: "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

However he held him/her/it/whatever in contempt:

Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men.

Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.

The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning.

Every sensible man, every honest man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

at the gates of gethsemane

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's not exactly an Irish only phrase anyway. People will come to realise this some day, insha'allah.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Science preserve you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Oh my science...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Jesus wept.

And no wonder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Aww, baby's first opinion.

OP, try again when you're old enough to understand whatever it is you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

People get upset over anything these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

TheZohan wrote: »
    At the ploughin'?! More like JCB.

Hey Zohan! Don't come calling to my farm with your CV!

Advertisement