Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Please god"

Options
  • 21-09-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Just watching the news on RTE and caught that annoying president person at the ploughing championships doing her impression of a salt of the earth Irish person. "hopefully the economy will improve please god" or words to that effect.

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only god believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?

I don't care if our President has private religious beliefs but spare me the sanctimoniousness please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

<further ranting >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's a very Irish saying, get the fúck over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

What does OMG stand for OP? I'm an atheist yet I still use it from time to time and I don't really give a shit about its in depth meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

God wouldn't have been stupid enough to bail Anglo. Believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

She should have said 'please ECB'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't care if our President has private religious beliefs but spare me the sanctimoniousness please.

I wish you'd have spared us the bolloxology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

In before the lock, please god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

It's a slow night in AH tonight! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

have you any idea what "dia duit" literally means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It's a slow night in AH tonight! :(

Slow year, tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

davyjose wrote: »
    Slow year, tbh!

Why couldn't Michael Jackson have lived another year!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Jesus christ OP (Oops, there I go again with my religious ramblings, hope you're not offended.) get over it.
    Is it really that big a deal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Its just a saying! Get over it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Seems she represents most AH contributors anyway!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

wonton wrote: »
    have you any idea what "dia duit" literally means?

Tuigim am naith sin, gan amhras. Deirim "Hi" nó "Cén caoi 'bhfuil tú?" i gcónaí chun í a sheachaint.*

*I understand that phrase for sure. I always say "Hi" or "How are you?" to avoid using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Sod is God!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Seems she represents most AH contributors anyway!
    What are you on about? Aa said above, it's a phrase. It's like when you get a paper cut and say "sh1t!". You're not asking for excrement. It's just something you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Tuigim am naith sin, gan amhras. Deirim "Hi" nó "Cén caoi 'bhfuil tú?" i gcónaí chun í a sheachaint.*

*I understand that phrase for sure. I always say "Hi" or "How are you?" to avoid using it.

i was thinking you might say "steven hawkings duit" "steven hawkings richard dawkins duit".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Aidric wrote: »
    She should have said 'please ECB'.

At the ploughin'?! More like JCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Maybe its news to some of you but there are lots of people who do not regard the phrase "please god" as "part of what we are". I had hoped that people like the Pres and Marian "because I'm worth it" Finucane and her like were part of a dying breed.

Its a bit scarey to find out there's loads of people like her still around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just watching the news on RTE and caught that annoying president person at the ploughing championships doing her impression of a salt of the earth Irish person. "hopefully the economy will improve please god" or words to that effect.

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only god believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?

Oh for fucks sake! OP, you sound far more sanctimonious than any religious person. Are you a teacher perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Time to get down on my knees and please god..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Maybe its news to some of you but there are lots of people who do not regard the phrase "please god" as "part of what we are". I had hoped that people like the Pres and Marian "because I'm worth it" Finucane and her like were part of a dying breed.

You might not regard that as "part of what we are" but you'd be wrong.

Scary is it?
    What's scary is how petty your life must be to get annoyed by something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The president has to change her language to pander to non-believers? :confused:

More often than not peoples convictions won't be private. People are often enthusiastic about who they are and what they stand for, and what they are passionate about. If people are passionate about their faith this will come across, in the same way if someone is passionate about sports, or their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Crap Crap bullsh*t biffo biffo going forward what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Ah, the intolerance of the New Atheist movement still continues to astound.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

Well if this is the only thing you have to worry about right now OP, then I worry for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

its a bit scary that anybody gets annoyed by an innocuous phrase. That level of intolerance is the scary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Jakkass wrote: »
    The president has to change her language to pander to non-believers? :confused:

We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. - The Borg Collective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

It'll be "please IMF" soon.

Advertisement