Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance neighbours...

Options
  • 21-09-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

My parents live in a mature estate in Limerick city where most of the residents are retired now...last year one of the houses on the street was bought by either the council or the HSE and new people moved in....Fair enough.
    Since they have moved in...the gardai have been on my parents street at least six times dealing with drunk and disorderly behaviour, fighting and even the drugs squad...doing a search of said house.....

I'm looking for advice in trying to get these people OUT....any advice would be welcome but please limit the advice to things that can be done legally.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

sounds like another formerly reputable estate being ruined...
    from reading various threads in this forum I think there's nothing you or rather your parents can do other than moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Know of a house with similar problems in Ballinacurra Gardens.

Late night noise and disturbances maybe four to five nights a week after 2am. Cars being parked in a manner beside other houses that makes it hard for people to drive in and out of their driveways safely.

Landlord was informed and the tenants responded by banging on the housewalls at all hours shouting "can you hear us?"

Empty beer bottles being thrown into the garden, and things like the hedges of the neighbours house, the owners being pensioners, getting ran through and jumped on at early hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I'm looking for advice in trying to get these people OUT....any advice would be welcome but please limit the advice to things that can be done legally.....

Legally? unfortunately nothing, as you and your parents are about to find out, you have no rights, scum unfortunately do, illegally? the sky is the limit.
    We had five years of it, they disappeared overnight and now we are left with a rat infested eyesore, before you ask, did we... yes we did, and nobody is responsible, all buck passing.

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Kess73 wrote: »
    Late night noise and disturbances maybe four to five nights a week after 2am. Cars being parked in a manner beside other houses that makes it hard for people to drive in and out of their driveways safely.
    Similar story, elderly couple make similar complaint, similar outcome -elderly couples windows are put in.
    Law abiding Joe PAYE has no rights in this situation it seems...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

is this the estate where a number of garda where doing their duty yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

langdang wrote: »
    Similar story, elderly couple make similar complaint, similar outcome -elderly couples windows are put in.

Nice.

I can imagine the scene.....

Social Worker parks 2010 Golf GTI outside Scumbags House at 3pm when all is quiet and civilised.

Rings bell...... Scumbags in greasy, smelly Pyjamas open door.

Social Worker explains very politely and ultra professionally that their Neighbours in no. 48, the O'Briens, have made a number of very serious complaints and that its not acceptable, just not acceptable at all.

Thugs scowl and deny it all as they have been raised to never be responsible for anything, anyone or any action whatsoever.

Social Worker takes a half-day and goes home to the Countryside far, far away from her 'Clients' to calculate her expenses/stress-leave/mileage/shopping needs.

Scumbags collect their 'binifits' and buy 3 Slabs of Dutch Gold, a 90 spot, a 2 litre of Drain Cleaner and Snoop Doggs Greatest Hits - Society at large can pay for their Kids needs, Healthcare etc. etc.

The O'Briens get their windows put in from 11pm to 4am - The Gardaí either don't arrive at all because they now are responsible for Bruff, Ardagh and LA or else 15 of them arrive in from Kranks about 8am to be ultra professional and sympathetic and check behind the Wheelie Bin for evidence.

Local Politicians promise to do something - Next time there is an Election on.

Social Workers promise to inform the Gardaí.

Gardaí promise to update the Social Workers once they've policed 8 Mile to their liking.

Residents who've paid their taxes to the Irish State for a lifetime and never broken a law, or ethical rule live in abject misery with nobody willing to take responsibility or control and no hope of improvement.

This is what we in Limerick call - 'Da Reginerashun' Bud.

langdang wrote: »

Yep landlord who dithers and comes out with the "it will never hapen again" line of crap, and gardai who never surface despite always having a car that is "on the way", and a local councillor living in the same estate who seems to blissfully unaware of any issues in the estate he lives in going by comments he has made to the Limerick Post in the past.

Basically tough luck on pensioners or anyone else who gets to put up with regular disturbances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

My parents live in a mature estate in Limerick city where most of the residents are retired now...last year one of the houses on the street was bought by either the council or the HSE and new people moved in....Fair enough.
    Since they have moved in...the gardai have been on my parents street at least six times dealing with drunk and disorderly behaviour, fighting and even the drugs squad...doing a search of said house.....

The HSE do not buy houses. This is probably a rent allowance house which is owned by one of your neighbours and being paid for by the HSE. The fault lies with the neighbour who rents to anyone without checking or following up on problems.

The HSE do not buy houses. This is probably a rent allowance house which is owned by one of your neighbours and being paid for by the HSE. The fault lies with the neighbour who rents to anyone without checking or following up on problems.

If it was me I'd get my Landlord Neighbours phone number and current address and subject him to what he is subjecting me to.

- Some People will be quite happy to let others suffer for 700-800 a month once they can turn their greedy little profiteering backs on it.

Raiser wrote: »
    If it was me I'd get my Landlord Neighbours phone number and current address and subject him to what he is subjecting me to.

- Some People will be quite happy to let others suffer for 700-800 a month once they can turn their greedy little profiteering backs on it.

i would also report the landlord to the PRTB for keeping nuisance tenents. Perhaps a call to revenue also for undeclared income from rental also might help.

• Advertisement

Know of a house with similar problems in Ballinacurra Gardens.

Landlord was informed and the tenants responded by banging on the housewalls at all hours shouting "can you hear us?"

Empty beer bottles being thrown into the garden, and things like the hedges of the neighbours house, the owners being pensioners, getting ran through and jumped on at early hours of the morning.

a person I know was dying and their neighbours were shouting "hurry up and die"

Nice.

I can imagine the scene.....

Social Worker parks 2010 Golf GTI outside Scumbags House at 3pm when all is quiet and civilised.

Rings bell...... Scumbags in greasy, smelly Pyjamas open door.

Social Worker explains very politely and ultra professionally that their Neighbours in no. 48, the O'Briens, have made a number of very serious complaints and that its not acceptable, just not acceptable at all.

Thugs scowl and deny it all as they have been raised to never be responsible for anything, anyone or any action whatsoever.

Social Worker takes a half-day and goes home to the Countryside far, far away from her 'Clients' to calculate her expenses/stress-leave/mileage/shopping needs.

Scumbags collect their 'binifits' and buy 3 Slabs of Dutch Gold, a 90 spot, a 2 litre of Drain Cleaner and Snoop Doggs Greatest Hits - Society at large can pay for their Kids needs, Healthcare etc. etc.

The O'Briens get their windows put in from 11pm to 4am - The Gardaí either don't arrive at all because they now are responsible for Bruff, Ardagh and LA or else 15 of them arrive in from Kranks about 8am to be ultra professional and sympathetic and check behind the Wheelie Bin for evidence.

Local Politicians promise to do something - Next time there is an Election on.

Social Workers promise to inform the Gardaí.

Gardaí promise to update the Social Workers once they've policed 8 Mile to their liking.

Residents who've paid their taxes to the Irish State for a lifetime and never broken a law, or ethical rule live in abject misery with nobody willing to take responsibility or control and no hope of improvement.

This is what we in Limerick call - 'Da Reginerashun' Bud.

is kranks not closed? what is 90 spot?

is kranks not closed? what is 90 spot?

Kranks used to be a patrol/parkup spot for Gardaí that liked Scobes in Lycra more than crime prevention, sorry for the outdated ref. :D

A 90 spot is 9 X 10 spots, in Limerick this is undoubtedly going to be smaller than anywhere else and prob mixed with faeces or peat or something to boost profits.

- Thats why you hear them saying they're smoking some gooood shít while you hurriedly and anxiously pass through the Peoples Park with your Kids etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

your first step is to find out who owns the house. council or private landlord .direct your concerns to them whatever way you see fit. get others involved don't be a island. if neccary get cc camera for back up to prove want ye have to put up will.best of luck .it's time a hard line is taken on this behaviour.not by you but by the powes that be.

i would also report the landlord to the PRTB for keeping nuisance tenents. Perhaps a call to revenue also for undeclared income from rental also might help.

The PRTB are actually not great at chasing up issues. Plus to make a third party complaint you have to pay €25 to them for them to look into it.

If the landlord is not registered with them, you can check on their website if a house is a registered rental house or not, all they do is bring an enforced registration onto the landlord and basically line their own pockets.

Kranks used to be a patrol/parkup spot for Gardaí that liked Scobes in Lycra more than crime prevention, sorry for the outdated ref. :D

A 90 spot is 9 X 10 spots, in Limerick this is undoubtedly going to be smaller than anywhere else and prob mixed with faeces or peat or something to boost profits.

- Thats why you hear them saying they're smoking some gooood shít while you hurriedly and anxiously pass through the Peoples Park with your Kids etc. etc.

A 90 spot is 9 X 10 spots, that is logicals ie 90 = 9*10. but what exactly are you talking about. What is a "spot"?

The PRTB are actually not great at chasing up issues. Plus to make a third party complaint you have to pay €25 to them for them to look into it.

If the landlord is not registered with them, you can check on their website if a house is a registered rental house or not, all they do is bring an enforced registration onto the landlord and basically line their own pockets.

revenue deal with landlords lining their pockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

A 90 spot is 9 X 10 spots, that is logicals ie 90 = 9*10. but what exactly are you talking about. What is a "spot"?

Hash, the stuff that greases the wheels of the Limerick economy

revenue deal with landlords lining their pockets

Only works if the landlord is not declaring his income though. A landlord can be declaring his income and paying taxes on it and not be registered with the PRTB.

AOwannabe wrote: »
    Hash, the stuff that greases the wheels of the Limerick economy

wow..... how out of touch am i then. or naive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

wow..... how out of touch am i then. or naive

I'm sure Raiser and a few others would be happy to fill you in on the idiosyncrasies of the local lingo.

I'm sure Raiser and a few others would be happy to fill you in on the idiosyncrasies of the local lingo.

I'm from Limerick

I've never bought Hash in my life - Used to hear my Primary School Teachers arguing over it...... Career Guidance Counsellor in my Secondary School used manage work placements/apprenticeships/Co-op for the Dundons, McCarthy's and Ryans :eek:

( Not really BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I always laugh and then cry when it becomes apparent that most of them got the fcuk out years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

who do you contact if you want to find out who the landlord is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I wonder if the Irish Govt. brought in ASBO to this country would it be any help, has it done anything positive in the UK.

campo wrote: »
    I wonder if the Irish Govt. brought in ASBO to this country would it be any help, has it done anything positive in the UK.

I don't know.

I'd be worried about offering FF and the Vegetable Party an opportunity to set up another massive and pointless bureaucratic Machine to waste revenue and resources just to hatch another 1000 useless Civil Service Careers in handing the things out to the Scumbags who would more than likely just be proud to receive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

campo wrote: »

In a word NO The sort of scumbags who get them wear them as a badge of pride:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

not all people from the regeneration areas are bad/scumbags.....:mad:

Advertisement