Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Medicine

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shaz84

pc11 wrote: »
    If that were true, then why are they using the GAMSAT score as a method to rank applicants? Either it's a pointless exam and the colleges are being highly negligent in using it and ACER's years of research are useless, or the college is being disingenuous.

Interestingly, The University of Nottingham recently released data on how UKCAT scores correlated with academic achievement on their undergraduate Medicine course. The results showed that high UKCAT scores were no indicator of academic performance on the course (paper available on sBMJ online). As such, the UKCAT is being utilised as a selection tool.

There will always be hoops to jump through, if an entrance exam score is sufficient for a university, then who are we to question it. It's not like we have under qualified doctors incapable of carrying out their duties... the medical schools develop good, competent doctors, with the skills required to be successful in their future careers. But you still need to work hard at university to ensure that you pass all the exams over the 4 years, not to mention all the professional qualifications during the rest of our careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

So, just said I'd post in here and see if there are any UL-bound peoples looking forward to starting the course in September. Just gonna say a congratulations to anyone that has successfully received an offer and I hope to see you soon!!! if anyone has any questions or wants recommendations on books to get, or even links to PDF's I have for them to get a head start feel free to PM me and I can help sort ye out.
    Also I know there are great plans for the 0 week this year so I would definitely recommend getting stuck in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 s.jennings2

I'm a UL bound person! I would love any information that you could send to me although I do not know how to PM. Just off hand however, are the terms of the UL-Ulsterbank loan good? I have never had to get a loan or anything like that before so I'm new to this craic. Oh and what is zero week and what are these plans? thanks in advance for anything!

I'm a UL bound person! I would love any information that you could send to me although I do not know how to PM. Just off hand however, are the terms of the UL-Ulsterbank loan good? I have never had to get a loan or anything like that before so I'm new to this craic. Oh and what is zero week and what are these plans? thanks in advance for anything!

I ha e the Ulster Bank loan myself!! I let the parents handle all the loan stuff but the terms seemed good to them. I think the way it works is that you basically have the loan and depending on how much you need for fees you can "draw down" as needed. So say you needed to pay 10,000 in the 1st semester, you could take the full amount or just 8,000 if you had 2,000 to spare yourself. You'd have to go in and ask for interest rates etc yourself.
    I'm a second year so I'm back the 2nd of September, you'll start course work on the 9th of September. 0 week for you guys is the week of 2nd semester where tours of the campus and events will be organised in order to get people to know each other and familiar with the campus etc... If you join your years Facebook group you should have information by the time it all rolls around. Search for UL Medicine class of 2017 or something like that. I'll PM you so keep an eye out for an indication or an e-mail

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mapa

Has anyone received some sort of Wellcome pack from limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Qamsharif

SmileyRK wrote: »
    I ha e the Ulster Bank loan myself!! I let the parents handle all the loan stuff but the terms seemed good to them. I think the way it works is that you basically have the loan and depending on how much you need for fees you can "draw down" as needed. So say you needed to pay 10,000 in the 1st semester, you could take the full amount or just 8,000 if you had 2,000 to spare yourself. You'd have to go in and ask for interest rates etc yourself.
    I'm a second year so I'm back the 2nd of September, you'll start course work on the 9th of September. 0 week for you guys is the week of 2nd semester where tours of the campus and events will be organised in order to get people to know each other and familiar with the campus etc... If you join your years Facebook group you should have information by the time it all rolls around. Search for UL Medicine class of 2017 or something like that. I'll PM you so keep an eye out for an indication or an e-mail

Hi I have an offer from limerick and am a uk student I was wondering if you could clear up if the loan would be available to me seems to be a lot of confusion on the forum and on the limerick website says nothing about residency just that you need an offer ?

Qamsharif wrote: »
    Hi I have an offer from limerick and am a uk student I was wondering if you could clear up if the loan would be available to me seems to be a lot of confusion on the forum and on the limerick website says nothing about residency just that you need an offer ?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure but I think you may have to get the loan in the UK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

SmileyRK wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure but I think you may have to get the loan in the UK!!
    Is it possible to just take part of the loan then? Say if you just needed 5 or 10 grand each yeah, is that an option with ulster bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 face_plant

I was under then impression that as UK citizens we wouldn't be eligible for the irish loans. And my (admittedly brief) search didn't turn up any UK banks that offer similar facilities.

letsdothis wrote: »
    Is it possible to just take part of the loan then? Say if you just needed 5 or 10 grand each yeah, is that an option with ulster bank?

That is indeed how it works, once you get approved for the loan, the full amount is available to you, but when it comes to paying for the college fees, you can "draw down" as much as you need yourself. You only pay back what you draw down.

I'm almost certain that UK citizens can't get a loan here....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 riversrock

Hi Im hoping to get into UL. All the places in UL have been filled but they expect the other colleges to make offers so if people except all on 53 will get into UL. Will people except UCC over UL. Do you think RCSI will offer to people on 56?

Advertisement