Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 developers= 1 fcuked country

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Conor OH!

this country is a sham and i want out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Acronym Definition

FF Failure Factor
    FF Family Fortunes
    FF Fashion Freak
    FF Fast Forward
    FF Fat Free
    FF Fatally Flawed
    FF Feeding Frenzy*(gaming)
    FF Feeling Fine
    FF Fianna Fail*(Irish Political Party)
    FF Fire & Forget
    FF Flip-Flop
    FF Food Fight
    FF Foolish Four*(Motley Fool investment strategy)
    FF Forced Fumble*(football)
    FF Fraud Forum*(GSM Association)
    FF Free Fall
    FF Freedom Fighter*(video game)
    FF Freedom Forum
    FF French Fries
    FF Frequent Flyer
    FF Friendly Fire
    FF Friends Forever
    FF Fuchs Friends*(online community)
    FF Full Forward*(Australian football position)
    FF Full Funding
    FF Full-Fed*(animal science)
    FF Fully Functional

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

To be accurate we should also include a gullable public more than eager to get into debt.

Yes but the Gullable public still have to pay there credit loans back while mr developer gets away with no worries and still has the high life, while still getting his arse licked by the goverment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

sadly the vast majority of people in this country swallowed the Govt/Banker/Developer/Auctioneer/Solicitor spun crap about buying property and willfully walked themselves into a sea of debt.

of all the people who have mortgaged themselves to the gills, i cannot recall 1 single case where the borrower was coerced into signing the dotted line.

the greed was written large on their happy little faces as the clung to the keys of their brand-new shoe box flats 'er forgive me, luxury penthouse apartments and gleefully boasted to their mates down the pub "how me gaff had already gone up by 50 grand".

no sorry folks this mess was 100% homegrown.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

sadly the vast majority of people in this country swallowed the Govt/Banker/Developer/Auctioneer/Solicitor spun crap about buying property and willfully walked themselves into a sea of debt.

of all the people who have mortgaged themselves to the gills, i cannot recall 1 single case where the borrower was coerced into signing the dotted line.

the greed was written large on their happy little faces as the clung to the keys of their brand-new shoe box flats 'er forgive me, luxury penthouse apartments and gleefully boasted to their mates down the pub "how me gaff had already gone up by 50 grand".

no sorry folks this mess was 100% homegrown.:rolleyes:

You know despite what you think you know and attempt to tar all with the same brush, as hard it is for you to accept it seems, there actually was just decent people out there trying to get their schite together, do the right thing, move out of ma and da's, get married and buy a decent four walls and a roof so they could continue to contribute to Irish society in many ways in tax and further revenue.

Not all home buyers were the evil, profit seeing, money grabbing planks you would have us all thinking they were!
    They just wanted four walls and a roof, trying to grab them quick before the developers shoved up the prices more within an hour or before the banks upped their interest profits again!

This mess was created in Ireland as you say but the vast majority of people trying to get a home were decent struggling folk who's trust (and cash) were used and abused!

• Advertisement

sorry mate i know this may be difficult for you and many others to accept, but people in this little island were, and still are (imo) totally obsessed by/with property, especially property-ownership.

in no other country i know of is so much time and effort given over to discussing it, to advertising, and to selling/buying it.

the reason is i believe is because the vast majority of us are little more than 1, or maybe 2 steps from being peasant farmers. it's in our blood, our genes, our psyche.

i can only speak about the folk i met and interviewed from my time as a mortgage broker, but the overwhelming majority of my clients were falling over themselves to acquire property.

the reason we had a bubble, then a bang, and now a property hangover is because we had a property feeding frenzy.

Yes sorry to spell it out to you again, but thats ordinary folk getting themselves into a lather over BRICKS 'n MORTAR.:o

Silly buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Unless this country has a revolution the mess that is FF and it's cronies will never be sorted, the corruption is so deep rooted it's scary. We can thank Haughey for sowing the seeds of it all.

sorry mate...
    Silly buggers.
    Simple question, when it comes to your time to settle down and start a family, etc... are you going to try and buy or are you going to roam the planet like a renting nomad till you grow old?

If your hoping to buy, welcome to the "Silly bugger club" then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Simple question, when it comes to your time to settle down and start a family, etc... are you going to try and buy or are you going to roam the planet like a renting nomad till you grow old?

What the hell is wrong with renting? We Irish have this attitude that long-term renting is the equivalent of being a nomadic peasant. Thankfully the rest of Europe doesn't share our stupidity.

Confab wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with renting? We Irish have this attitude that long-term renting is the equivalent of being a nomadic peasant. Thankfully the rest of Europe doesn't share our stupidity.
    Nothing wrong with renting but why does that HAVE to be the only choice either!

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »

If your hoping to buy, welcome to the "Silly bugger club" then!

i bought my first property way back in the last century, since then i've bought a few others riding on the back of the silly buggers club.

i am now in the fortunate position of being entirely mortgage free.:P

i bought my first property way back in the last century, since then i've bought a few others riding on the back of the silly buggers club.

i am now in the fortunate position of being entirely mortgage free.:P

... And thats been done by you by hard grafting I assume - and well done.
    So why taint too easily, calling some others who wish to do similar just "silly buggers" too? :confused:

Nothing wrong with renting but why does that HAVE to be the only choice either!

Buying is for chumps imo. You stick a whetstone around your neck. For what? The ability to call four walls and a roof your own? What good does that do? You get tossed around the financial system at the mercy of the economic waves, furnish it, maintain it and pay ridiculous amounts of money to get it off your back, and then you die and your kids sell it to buy a speedboat (or in my case an LS460 and a plane).

Not worth it.

i effectively got out of the property game 'er sorry market in 1986.

the silly buggers didn't.

i mean people were paying €450k for a 1 bed flat 'er luxury penthouse apartment in Sth. Co Dublin ffs!:eek:

Buying is for chumps imo. You stick a whetstone around your neck. For what? The ability to call four walls and a roof your own? What good does that do? You get tossed around the financial system at the mercy of the economic waves, furnish it, maintain it and pay ridiculous amounts of money to get it off your back, and then you die and your kids sell it to buy a speedboat (or in my case an LS460 and a plane).

Not worth it.

Well that your opinion and I respect that but others have an opinion that is different.
    One that is based on their selective life styles and abilities in real time of making/having a choice.

...i mean people were paying €450k for a 1 bed flat 'er luxury penthouse apartment in Sth. Co Dublin ffs!:eek:
    The likes of that was/is stupidity but percentage-wise of those mad cases, in the rest of the country where young folk were starting out, they were more likely to be buying homes rather than apartments probably - so some mad cases in Dublin that one can speak of, doesn't automatically make it the over all norm' for the rest of the country.

Well that your opinion and I respect that but others have an opinion that is different.
    One that is based on their selective life styles and abilities in real time of making/having a choice.

yes but do make sure that the timing of your choices is correct!
    my advice to anybody is whatever this bloody FF Govt tells you to do, DO THE OPPOSITE!:cool:

yes but do make sure that the timing of your choices is correct!
    my advice to anybody is whatever this bloody FF Govt tells you to do, DO THE OPPOSITE!:cool:

No argument there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

i effectively got out of the property game 'er sorry market in 1986.

the silly buggers didn't.

i mean people were paying €450k for a 1 bed flat 'er luxury penthouse apartment in Sth. Co Dublin ffs!:eek:

Well done. You were one of the lucky ones.

But still, why do you feel that you have the need to so smarmy about it?

Is there something missing in your life - a void that you can only fill by trying to lord your sense of self importance over people who are effectively in the sh*t?

Methaphorically speaking, you are not just kicking a man when he's down, but you are also pissing in his tin cup.

All I can say is, that I hope it makes you feel good about yourself, because it certainly is of no benefit to anybody else.

Is there something missing in your life - a void that you can only fill by trying to lord your sense of self importance over people who are effectively in the sh*t?

Methaphorically speaking, you are not just kicking a man when he's down, but you are also pissing in his tin cup.

All I can say is, that I hope it makes you feel good about yourself, because it certainly is of no benefit to anybody else.

Do what I do and put the annoying/smarmy ones on ignore. Makes Boards a much more peaceful place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

A large % of the population did. Hell, the banks are still giving out stupid mortgages. A couple I know have one income (about 40K) and have just bought a house for 225k.

What is necessarily wrong with that? It all depends on the circumstances of the person/people in question, but those figures are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Let's be done with it and merge AH with Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows. It is so darn happy around here today.
    :eek:

Forgive me if i disagree with you.
    you have obviously, perhaps deliberately or not, entirely missed my point.
    it's got NOTHING (or very little) to do with luck.
    people made CHOICES (yes that awful word again!). many of those choices were poor, quite a few were downright stupid imo.
    nobody was forced or coerced to pay silly money for very ordinary properties.
    they made CHOICES, and must now live with the consequences.
    it's called the realworld, or as me Gran used to say "you make your bed. you .........."

people need to grow up and accept responsibility for the Sh1t (metaphorically speaking of course) they are now in!

i am!:P

...people need to grow up and accept responsibility for the Sh1t (metaphorically speaking of course) they are now in!...

Nice idea but lets be honest, our own leaders are failing to do that to start off with!

Nice idea but lets be honest, our own leaders are failing to do that to start off with!

sorry biggins they know only too well the mess we're in, but they're too busy looking after No.1

you don't honestly expect this shower of shisters to lose sleep over your or my problems, do you?;)

sorry biggins they know only too well the mess we're in, but they're too busy looking after No.1

you don't honestly expect this shower of shisters to lose sleep over your or my problems, do you?;)

No argument there.
    Sadly they might know of the mess but get them to accept their part? That takes a small miracle.

there is a deeprooted legacy of corruption and rotteness running through this Govt. that goes back to Haughey, P. Flynn, Ray Burke, Ahern, and more lately the pathetic Callely.

we the electorate (not you personally) have repeatedly voted this shower of dodgy shisters into office.

we need to accept our own culpability in this.

only once we as a people grow up and accept this, can we move forward imo.

Forgive me if i disagree with you.
    you have obviously, perhaps deliberately or not, entirely missed my point.
    it's got NOTHING (or very little) to do with luck.
    people made CHOICES (yes that awful word again!). many of those choices were poor, quite a few were downright stupid imo.
    nobody was forced or coerced to pay silly money for very ordinary properties.
    they made CHOICES, and must now live with the consequences.
    it's called the realworld, or as me Gran used to say "you make your bed. you .........."

people need to grow up and accept responsibility for the Sh1t (metaphorically speaking of course) they are now in!

i am!:P

You are really, very annoying.

You are really, very annoying.

and you my friend are really very slow!
    but i can cease to be annoying if & when i choose:D

LMAO!!!

• Advertisement

and you my friend are really very slow!
    but i can cease to be annoying if & when i choose:D

LMAO!!!