Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carp Fishing in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Planet X wrote: »
    Wow! Are you sure they weren't bream rolling. Fished both those lakes, Kilgory many times in the 90's, had Tench over specimen weight out of there but never saw or knew of carp there. It's a huge water as you probably know. Fishe dit for whole weekends or 3 nighters.
    Also fished Bribgets with The Tenchfishers. Again, a huge water but wouldn't be sure if there were carp in either. Unless I saw one on the bank. Sure you're not mistaking bream rolling at dawn and dusk?

Yep 100% sure it was not bream. Had a lovely clear view of them as they cruised at the surface. I have spent too much time on carp waters when I lived in the UK to ever mistake them for bream rolling. :)

Would have been in the last two years that I have noticed carp in the Kilgory and Bridget. If I had to guess at a size of what I saw in Bridgets, then I would be saying somewhere in the 12lbs to 15lbs range. But I suppose until somebody actually hooks and lands one, it is hard to prove they are there.

Kilgory was a great tench lake alright, not as good now though as certain types started keeping fish and lots of those big tench were never caught again.:( In fact pretty much all the coarse fish there suffered somewhat.

A lot of the really good fishing lakes in Clare have been hit hard by those who remove fish imho.

Dromore Lake
    Doon lake
    Rosroe Lake
    Lough Avoher
    Fin lake

all have had numbers and sizes drop dramatically over the last decade, and poor old Fin lake has no bream, roach, or tench left in it. It has a number of rudd and pike nowadays with a small number of perch and eel.

The one lake in the area to buck the trend seems to be Cullaunaheeda Lake. But I put that down to it being quite difficult to shore fish on. It is a very good lake to boat fish on, but it's size can make it hard for those looking for shoals. It does hold some very very big bream though as well as must other coarse species, and there are a number of big pike, as well as plenty of trout in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Is The Lough in Cork still fishing well? Bit of a drive for the OP but I seem to remember nearly every specimen Carp in the country being caught there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CocteauTwin

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep 100% sure it was not bream. Had a lovely clear view of them as they cruised at the surface. I have spent too much time on carp waters when I lived in the UK to ever mistake them for bream rolling. :)

Would have been in the last two years that I have noticed carp in the Kilgory and Bridget. If I had to guess at a size of what I saw in Bridgets, then I would be saying somewhere in the 12lbs to 15lbs range. But I suppose until somebody actually hooks and lands one, it is hard to prove they are there.

Kilgory was a great tench lake alright, not as good now though as certain types started keeping fish and lots of those big tench were never caught again.:( In fact pretty much all the coarse fish there suffered somewhat.

A lot of the really good fishing lakes in Clare have been hit hard by those who remove fish imho.

Dromore Lake
    Doon lake
    Rosroe Lake
    Lough Avoher
    Fin lake

all have had numbers and sizes drop dramatically over the last decade, and poor old Fin lake has no bream, roach, or tench left in it. It has a number of rudd and pike nowadays with a small number of perch and eel.

The one lake in the area to buck the trend seems to be Cullaunaheeda Lake. But I put that down to it being quite difficult to shore fish on. It is a very good lake to boat fish on, but it's size can make it hard for those looking for shoals. It does hold some very very big bream though as well as must other coarse species, and there are a number of big pike, as well as plenty of trout in there.
    went for a look around Kilgory and Bridgets a few weeks back, one dutch lad on Kilgory had a small pike and a couple of lads on Bridgets. You really need a boat on Kilgory as there are few pegs, i really hope there are carp in Bridgets cos its an awesome lookin lake

• Registered Users Posts: 1 karpis

Dickie82 wrote: »
    Sorry i realise that the nature of finding a good lake might be difficult and that the locations might be kept secret and not posted on a thread. But if someone could PM a few hints in the right direction it would be much appreciated and certainly worth a pint!

Thanks

Dickie

hi dickie82 carickmakros brothers lake.nise carp in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

karpis wrote: »
    hi dickie82 carickmakros brothers lake.nise carp in there.

Been 4 years. Hope he found at least one carp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lochmahon

There is also an option to visit lochmahon lakes, (3 lakes in total) look up lochmahon on facebook or lochmahon.com, tackle shop, 24hr fishing by approval, shower toilet etc

Advertisement