Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carp Fishing in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello everyone

I moved to Ireland from the UK and really miss my carp fishing. Does anyone know any lakes stocked with carp? I live in the Dublin region.

Ideally stocked up to at least 30lbs.

Cheers

Dickie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dickie82

Sorry i realise that the nature of finding a good lake might be difficult and that the locations might be kept secret and not posted on a thread. But if someone could PM a few hints in the right direction it would be much appreciated and certainly worth a pint!

Thanks

Dickie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Maynooth fishery and corkagh park fishery in Clondalkin are the only two carp fisheries close to Dublin.
    For the more serious angler there is a syndicate fishery in Tipperary called Decoy which you pay an annual fee to fish. not sure if they do day tickets.

If you want to travel a bit there is Gaulmoylestown in Millingar, the Lough in Cork and some other private fisheries around the country.

Sorry for lack of links, posting from my phone but you will find all info needed typing the names into google.

Tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Dickie82 wrote: »
    Hello everyone

I moved to Ireland from the UK and really miss my carp fishing. Does anyone know any lakes stocked with carp? I live in the Dublin region.

Ideally stocked up to at least 30lbs.

Cheers

Dickie

Your in luck! Check out http://carpfishingireland.com/. There is loads of places around, not as good as the uk but still plenty about.

Maynooth fishery and corkagh park fishery in Clondalkin are the only two carp fisheries close to Dublin.
    For the more serious angler there is a syndicate fishery in Tipperary called Decoy which you pay an annual fee to fish. not sure if they do day tickets.

If you want to travel a bit there is Gaulmoylestown in Millingar, the Lough in Cork and some other private fisheries around the country.

Sorry for lack of links, posting from my phone but you will find all info needed typing the names into google.

Tight lines!

Thanks very much! Better start making my boilies again!!!

skipz wrote: »
    Your in luck! Check out http://carpfishingireland.com/. There is loads of places around, not as good as the uk but still plenty about.

Thanks, im registering now. Looks like there might be a few places alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Wouldn't know much about it but maynooth seems to be quite a good spot. I do a spot of trout fishing out there and judging by the pics in the clubhouse there are some monster fish in the carp lake. The lads there are bang on too very helpful. Not too far from Dublin either

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Maynooth, very shallow, intensely fished, small man made lake. Was on the syndicate the year it opened. Very tight.
    Ballinafid, Co. Westmeath, outside Mullingar, nice lake, hard, good fish but run by a Mafia type. Believe you me. Been there, got the t-shirt.
    Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan. Brothers lake just outside town. Good craic, fish to double figures. Action. Busy, can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dotz

i haven't heard of much up around your part of the country but i would highly recommend a visit down to the west. i know of a lake outside killaloe in co clare. it is called "paddy mc's" i have been fishing it for a few years. it is a very challenging lake but i love it. it isnt stocked or maintained as far as i know but i do know that there is some tasty fish in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gitman

Planet X wrote: »
    Maynooth, very shallow, intensely fished, small man made lake. Was on the syndicate the year it opened. Very tight.
    Ballinafid, Co. Westmeath, outside Mullingar, nice lake, hard, good fish but run by a Mafia type. Believe you me. Been there, got the t-shirt.
    Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan. Brothers lake just outside town. Good craic, fish to double figures. Action. Busy, can be.

dude how do you mean I was thinking of going there but Im having second thoughts now. I understand if you dont want to elaborate. pm maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

dotz wrote: »
    i haven't heard of much up around your part of the country but i would highly recommend a visit down to the west. i know of a lake outside killaloe in co clare. it is called "paddy mc's" i have been fishing it for a few years. it is a very challenging lake but i love it. it isnt stocked or maintained as far as i know but i do know that there is some tasty fish in there.

That is (Paddy) McNamaras lake.

It was stocked years ago, and has some nice fish there now. It has some nice tench, bream, rudd, perch, a couple pike, and a nice head of small to mid sized carp that have bred well and thrived there.

As you say, it can be a challenging little lake, especially the western and southern shorelines, but very rewarding and very relaxing at times. There are a lot of great little lakes within 10 or so miles of that lake, if you take the Broadford/Doon road that is beside the lake.

We may have stared across the lake at one another at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Kess73 wrote: »

It was stocked years ago, and has some nice fish there now. It has some nice tench, bream, rudd, perch, a couple pike, and a nice head of small to mid sized carp that have bred well and thrived there.

As you say, it can be a challenging little lake, especially the western and southern shorelines, but very rewarding and very relaxing at times. There are a lot of great little lakes within 10 or so miles of that lake, if you take the Broadford/Doon road that is beside the lake.

i read that it was/is heavily poached. True yes/no?
    http://www.carpfishingireland.com/carp-lakes-f6/paddy-mac-s-lost-cause-or-worth-a-shot-t2378.htm?highlight=paddy+mac

i read that it was/is heavily poached. True yes/no?

Yes it was at one point. But thankfully there were plenty of locals and fishermen who quick to report any dodgy activities they spotted, plus a number who were quick to step in themselves to "discourage" poachers.

The carp seem to have recovered well and although most are small to mid size, you can spot a few larger specimen cruising along the surface every now and then.

I have spotted carp in Kilgory lake and Bridget's lake as well, so somebody must have transported carp between the lakes at some point over the years as those lakes are not a million miles from McNamara's lake.

plus a number who were quick to step in themselves to "discourage" poachers.

it seems to be the only way........delighted about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

what do you mean crap fishing in ireland maybe your a carp fisher man......... sorry i couldnt resist

rossit wrote: »
    what do you mean crap fishing in ireland maybe your a carp fisher man......... sorry i couldnt resist

eh rossit, i do think you need to get out more................:D:D:D:D

ha ha ha. probably did. one of the lads had a 25lb carp out of it, no word of a lie. it took us three days of continous fishing but we got her. best day ever.

ha ha ha. probably did. one of the lads had a 25lb carp out of it, no word of a lie. it took us three days of continous fishing but we got her. best day ever.

Yeah there are a couple of really big fish in there. Massive fish when the size of the lake is taken into account.

Have seen one or two cruising on the surface that I would have put in the 15lbs to 20lbs mark, so am not too surprised to hear of a 25lbs carp there.

I think the lake is listed as being hypereutrophic, which would help explain the very fast growth of many of the fish there and the large head of fish compared to lake size . The algal blooms that explode on the North to north west side of the lake would support the idea that the lake is eutrophic at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dimaer

Hi guys I may sound stupid :) But I am not Irish and thinking to do some fishing (including carpfishing) as a hobbie here.
    So I wonder can you keep the fish you caught? Perhaps depends on a venue, but how it is in general?

Dimaer wrote: »
    Hi guys I may sound stupid :) But I am not Irish and thinking to do some fishing (including carpfishing) as a hobbie here.
    So I wonder can you keep the fish you caught? Perhaps depends on a venue, but how it is in general?

jesus no dude. you take a fish from the water and you would literally be shot. its not looked upon too lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dimaer

Hehe. Well I asume that I will not get shot or smth :) But just wondering about general practice in here. When I have been in states in most cases people let fish go back.
    I my home country it is other way around.

• Advertisement

People who fish for carp, and other coarse fish in Ireland care about their fish and have a strong conservation ethos. You wont make too many friends killing carp in this country. We have a tradition of killing trout and salmon (a hangover from days of plenty that are now no more) Gladly but slowly most conscientious game anglers (those who fish for trout and salmon) are following where coarse anglers lead and are/have been coming around to a conservation way of thinking too. So if you kill too many you wont be welcome in many places.

If you get noticed keeping carp and other coarse fish, you will be doing well to avoid being put into the water yourself. To say it is frowned upon to kill coarse fish would be puttling it very mildly.

Catch the fish, handle them with care and then return them. That way they will be there the next time you fish and may even grow a bit bigger.

If a person wants proof that they caught fish, then bring a camera.

If a person wants to eat fish, go to a fish monger and buy some, but leave the coarse fish in the rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

jesus no dude. you take a fish from the water and you would literally be shot. its not looked upon too lightly.
    If you get noticed keeping carp and other coarse fish, you will be doing well to avoid being put into the water yourself. To say it is frowned upon to kill coarse fish would be puttling it very mildly.

Catch the fish, handle them with care and then return them. That way they will be there the next time you fish and may even grow a bit bigger.

If a person wants proof that they caught fish, then bring a camera.

If a person wants to eat fish, go to a fish monger and buy some, but leave the coarse fish in the rivers.

I didn't realize coarse fisherman were so protective of the coarse fish stocks. I've only ever fished for trout in freshwater and on a lot of trout lakes, coarse species would often be regarded as a pest.

Does this attitude apply equally to other coarse species? I can see how people would react negatively to someone killing a carp as they are relatively rare in Ireland. But what if someone were seem taking a perch for example, would that elicit the same negative reaction?

aidanf wrote: »
    I didn't realize coarse fisherman were so protective of the coarse fish stocks. I've only ever fished for trout in freshwater and on a lot of trout lakes, coarse species would often be regarded as a pest.

Does this attitude apply equally to other coarse species? I can see how people would react negatively to someone killing a carp as they are relatively rare in Ireland. But what if someone were seem taking a perch for example, would that elicit the same negative reaction?

I pretty much return everything I catch in terms of coarse fish. From Pike to roach.

I can understand a person taking the odd fish, say a roach or similar if they were to use it as deadbait for pike, I can undertand maybe someone taking the odd coarse fish if they like the taste and if there were no problems wiuth the numbers of that species, but I don't like the idea of fish being taken in large numbers from rivers and lakes with no thought for future numbers, many often just being left on the bank to die.

It really is simple. If people keep killing fish and have no involvement or interest in helping to conserve/maintain fish numbers, then at some point we stop having good fishing in many places, something that has already happened on a number of rivers in this country.

I have come across dead pike just left on the bank in twos and threes, some twenty feet from the water. What is the point in that?

Not to long ago there were seven or eight dead pike found together by the shore of Lough Derg. Again what is the point in that?

I have also come across carnage on the bank where someone has had a field day catching bream, roach etc., and gutted what they wanted to keep and just left the rest of the fish and the left overs from the gutting on the bank.

You are a trout man. Imagine you going to your favourite stretches of water and finding dead trout just dumped on the banks, or seeing people catching large numbers and then taking their pick from them and just leaving the rest behind to die on the shore.

Or people paying no heed to size or bag limits when on trout waters and just taking as much as they can away with them.

We all love to fish, but we all need to do our bit to try and make sure that there are still fish there for us to catch again, and for future generations to enjoy.

Good post kess. I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

I'm only back to fishing this year so I haven't seen the kind of wastage you mentioned in your post. I can't understand the type of person who would mindlessly kill a pile of fish like you describe.

Having said that there's a big difference between someone who kills fish indiscriminately without any thought to future stocks and someone who carefully returns most fish they catch but takes the occasional one for the pot.

I've caught a few coarse fish by accident this year and returned them all safely. However if I did decide to take one for the pot I'd be very annoyed to find myself shot or put into the water :)

Incidentally, re Pike killing that you mentioned in your post seems to be a common problem on some trout fisheries. In fact is seems to be officially sanctioned in that the fisheries board grants exemptions to trout clubs to have pike killing competitions (link) and doing pike culls on some of their fisheries.

aidanf wrote: »
    Incidentally, re Pike killing that you mentioned in your post seems to be a common problem on some trout fisheries. In fact is seems to be officially sanctioned in that the fisheries board grants exemptions to trout clubs to have pike killing competitions (link) and doing pike culls on some of their fisheries.

Where I have come across the dead pike was not on or near trout fisheries though. Most of the dead pike I have seen have been around Lough Derg or on the Shannon just below it.

Have seen some disgraceful taking and killing of fish at O'Briens Bridge in Clare over the years.

Other anglers and I have had some right anger exchanges with "fishermen" literally loading three or four full sized black plastic bags of bream etc into boots of cars.

Gardai have been called (useless for the most part as they rarely show up), pictures have been taken of the cars and the bags going into then as well as those doing it (this has worked and gotten people caught for what they did, but it does not replace the fish), and I have heard;) that there have been times when the poacher's gear somehow has gotten destroyed in the confusion, with the odd dunking or sore jaw being had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

gitman wrote: »
    dude how do you mean I was thinking of going there but Im having second thoughts now. I understand if you dont want to elaborate. pm maybe?

Ive heard about the "mafia" guys there, dont know the details to be honest. From what i hear, the lake is very hard. I considered fishing it before, drove into the lake one evening to have a look, i was disgusted. The car park resembled a rubbish dump, i have literally never seen a place so covered in rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hehe. Well I asume that I will not get shot or smth :) But just wondering about general practice in here. When I have been in states in most cases people let fish go back.
    I my home country it is other way around.

what country are you from? i know in some countries that carp have been introduced illegally, and have destroyed the local eco systems, and in those places, its illegal to return a carp! think in some southern states of the US this is the case.

its quite the opposite here though! they are stocked for anglers to catch and return, and i believe they are en expensive fish to stock!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yes it was at one point. But thankfully there were plenty of locals and fishermen who quick to report any dodgy activities they spotted, plus a number who were quick to step in themselves to "discourage" poachers.

The carp seem to have recovered well and although most are small to mid size, you can spot a few larger specimen cruising along the surface every now and then.

I have spotted carp in Kilgory lake and Bridget's lake as well, so somebody must have transported carp between the lakes at some point over the years as those lakes are not a million miles from McNamara's lake.

Wow! Are you sure they weren't bream rolling. Fished both those lakes, Kilgory many times in the 90's, had Tench over specimen weight out of there but never saw or knew of carp there. It's a huge water as you probably know. Fishe dit for whole weekends or 3 nighters.
    Also fished Bribgets with The Tenchfishers. Again, a huge water but wouldn't be sure if there were carp in either. Unless I saw one on the bank. Sure you're not mistaking bream rolling at dawn and dusk?

Advertisement