Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading on a Kindle

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Enkidu wrote: »
    The people I've spoken to like the feeling of curling up with a book. However it seems my experience doesn't correlate with the general feeling. All the better, because it's a great device. Again it's not that fiction reader "must" dislike the kindle, it's just what I've seen, which apparently doesn't seem to be the trend generally.

I think many readers assume that will be their reaction only to find out that curling up with a Kindle is even better because it is lighter and easier to turn the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Question, I bought the Kindle 3 from Amazon.co.uk for my Mam for Christmas and was wondering
    how it works in Ireland for buying books.

Will she need a UK addressed credit card to buy books from the UK store or will an Irish one do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boyle.mick

im looking to but a kindle 3 tomorrow in ireland can anyone help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

One of the guys in work got one for his wife for Christmas, it arrived during the week, I am officially in like.

I can definitely see the appeal of a Kindle over certain large books - even Shantaram and Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell were awkward to hold and read, a Kindle resolves that.

I've never used one, but I'd like one.

I have a strange feeling I might be getting an e-reader for christmas / my birthday from a friend, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

I have too many books for the amount of space I have, and while I occasionally share books with a few friends having an e-reader wouldn't be enough to stop my impulse buying of books, so that won't change my sharing capabilities! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boyle.mick

ya sorr but i need to have it in my hand by today or tomorrow and when i tried to buy at amazon.co.uk i was directed to the american site and been made aware i may need to pay duty!!!!!!but still is need it as a present for sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

As far as I am aware they can only be bought online. You might be able to get one on ebay but to be honest I cant see it being delivered by Sunday. To their credit Amazon were very fast with shipping my kindle only took 3 days.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

sombaht wrote: »
    As far as I am aware they can only be bought online. You might be able to get one on ebay but to be honest I cant see it being delivered by Sunday. To their credit Amazon were very fast with shipping my kindle only took 3 days.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Hi sombaht,

Did you use .com or .co.uk? Do you download your books from .co.uk?
    Do they have the english spelling or is it Americanised?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

You need to purchase the kindle and books from the .com address so you are charged US prices. There are workarounds that allow you to order books from the .co.uk site. To be honest I have not found a huge difference in terms of price to implement the workaround.
    As for the spelling, I actually haven't noticed yet, must check when I get home! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

sombaht wrote: »
    You need to purchase the kindle and books from the .com address so you are charged US prices. There are workarounds that allow you to order books from the .co.uk site. To be honest I have not found a huge difference in terms of price to implement the workaround.
    As for the spelling, I actually haven't noticed yet, must check when I get home! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

Does anyone know if you buy the amazon vouchers, can they then be used to purchse books for the kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

Im thinking of getting one of these too.
    My books take up far too much space and this looks like a good solution.

But Amazon are having a big sale on 22 November called "Black Friday" sale.
    It might be a good idea to wait and see if they drop the price of the Kindle for that day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aileenhealy

From the posts I have read it seems one can only buy the Kindle from Amazon.com. I have 2 questions -
    1. Do customs charge duty seeing as it is coming from the US.
    2. Can I use an Irish Credit Card which obviously has an Irish address.:confused:
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The credit card is fine as Amazon say that you need to order from Amazon.com if you want it shipped to an Irish address.

When you get to the checkout page, you will see that you pay them a deposit for the import fees. This is explained in more detail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Whats the best case for these?

Why cant I purchase books from the UK store?

Is there any benefits from purchasing books from the US store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

At the end of the day. The actual content of the book is what matters.
    If you have to travel, this is a no-brainer.
    Sitting in an airport, you might have 2+ kilos of books in your bags. You might finish one book and realise that you don´t want to read anything else you have. You´d rather read the next installment of what you just consumed. No problem, in less than 2 minutes on the 3g you can download what you need, load your reader up and read away on the plane.

I put an 8gig micro SD into my nook, and its usually more than half full. I walk around with thousands of books in my bag, all hand picked by myself (ie not the entire proj. gutenberg library).

And it is actually easier to read with one hand. >_>
    I mean, if I´m lying sideways in a hammock or smoking or something, the device can change pages easily using the same hand you hold it with.
    I´ve been using the nook in a wide variety of situations, and its a fantastic device.
    Mine has already visited 14 countries in the 4 months I´ve had it.
    With physical books, I´ve often had to give them away because I didn´t have enough space in luggage to bring them home. I own perhaps only 10% of the physical books now that I bought in my life.

Advertisement