Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading on a Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Recently, I was lucky enough to win an iPad and one of the first apps I downloaded door it was Amazon's Kindle. Skeptical as I ewas I have to say I've found the experience quite pleasurable so far. For many of my future purchases I can picture it being used.

Having said that, I do have a fondness for physical media, I still buy albums because I just love the physical product, and it's hard to imagine that ever fully changing.
    I think there will always be demand for printed work.

The question is whether that demand will be sufficient to keep publishers afloat or rather to make physical copies of books a profitable endeavour; I suspect it won't.
    This post has been deleted.

I would say no more than you know you won't misplace a copy of a book. I accept what you're saying about floppy disks but that's physical media; once a book is bought on Kindle it can be downloaded to multiple devices so your books should always be there.
    Plowman wrote: »

Alll they have to do is keep a record of your purchase history; as the technology updates your library will be updated to the new format (ideally).

Not much of an issue in this country. :pac:
    However, I do miss not having page numbers, and I miss not knowing how many "pages" are left in a chapter, stuff like that.

I agree, it's weird adjusting to their page count. I'm sure I'll adjust in time or they'll improve the user interface. Ditto for making annotations, which is far more likely to be viable on a touch screen device than something like the Kindle.
    seamus wrote: »
    That said, I've held an iPad. It's too heavy for reading long-term and the proportions are all wrong. A Kindle is half (?) the size and less than half the weight. So in that respect, presentation medium is important to me.

Have to disagree with you there, the iPad sits comfortably in my lap for hours without feeling hot or heavy. It's easy to read it in bed too, where I do most of my reading, easier than reading a traditional book I'd say.

I'm surprised so many people have written it off in this debate as irrelevant based on the superiority of eInk alone. I dislike looking at screens for long periods of time but it's actually fine.

I think I,ll be doing a lot of reading on my iPad in the future. Not so much writing though. My battery power was at 80% when I started this post; it's now at 74%. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I don't own a Kindle, or other versions of ebook readers, but I do have an occasion to browse and read books online from my laptop and netbook, accessed from our massive USC electronic library (millions of books), where the search functions are spectacular for student account holders. My only limitation when reading from the laptop or netbook medium is that the crystal clear screens are poor in sunlight, which the Kindle, et al, are intended to overcome.

Setting aside improved efficiency of access and search functions, I do love tangible books: the feel, smell, texture, and turn-of-page progression. And don't let me wander off into the subsurface catacombs of USC's Doheny (Main) Library, where the stacks are tall, close, in winding enchanted spaces, with that aphrodisiac old book musty smell, or my skeleton with book-in-hand will be found years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

here's a thought...if I purchase a kindle book from any Amazon site can I load it onto my friends kindle???

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

PatDee wrote: »
    here's a thought...if I purchase a kindle book from any Amazon site can I load it onto my friends kindle???

No. You're Kindle is registered to your account and so any books purchased will only download to that device.

No. You're Kindle is registered to your account and so any books purchased will only download to that device.

Yeah so you have a kindle file on yer kindle...what's to stop you copying it to your laptop and sending it to your friends kindle??

• Advertisement

PatDee wrote: »
    Yeah so you have a kindle file on yer kindle...what's to stop you copying it to your laptop and sending it to your friends kindle??

Don't know the answer to that never crossed my mind. Maybe someone else can answer.

Ahhh Ha Haa this guy is something else...but he does go into a lot of detail...I guess he'll get to DRM soon enough....Thanks for the link.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Denerick wrote: »
    To get back to the point: I will never ever use a kindle, mainly for ideological reasons. Everything is too easy, too accessible nowadays. We know the price of everything but the value of nothing. In 5 years time your version of the Kindle will be obsolete, a new version will come out and you'll have to buy that. Buy a book and it'll sit on your shelf for centuries, it'll be your legacy on this world, for what its worth. ;)

Aye.

On the other hand my kindle will hold a fortune of books and take up less space than a magazine.

Our house has a load of books. The ones for the kids are growing outbof control. We're going to go down the ereader route for the eldest lad as we can't fit in any more bookcases.

Of course we'll still be buying bargain books....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

Eventually somebody will devise a really good ereader that can display textbooks and then it will start being used by school children and then it is game over for books as we know it except amongst old relics like some of the people on this thread :pac:;)

Books will go the way of vinyl and only be read by people for nostalgic reasons.

I've had a Kindle for the past week and it is one of the best gadgets that I have ever owned. Even if you were to never read a book on it, the ability to download as many newspapers as you like each morning is brilliant.

i'm thinking of buy this as a present but I'm not sure if she'd love it or hate it ... can it download girlie mags too???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

I started reading on a Palm Pilot in the late 90's, so obviously I am a big fan of ebooks! I have had to give away SOO many books over the years because I have no space to store them, and I often want to reread something I had which is now gone. One book in particular now sells for anything from $59 to $110 on Amazon Marketplace, so I won't be reading that again anytime soon.

The Palm Pilot was followed with several pocket-pc type devices (HP iPaq, Dell Axim), and when I got my first generation iPod Touch one of my first apps was Stanza. Interestingly I have only lost access to one book in more than ten years' time. Amazon may let you re-download your purchases now, but six years ago I was told that once I'd downloaded the book the transaction was fulfilled and f*** off and leave us alone. I would imagine they had to change that policy to have any success with the Kindle!

My birthday gift this year was the iPad, which I am really enjoying for the number of paragraphs I can have on one page. I've always preferred multi-function devices so I can carry one thing and have my books, games, music and movies with me all in one. For that reason I never seriously looked at Kindle or Sony Reader (or their predecessors).

These days print books (and I do still buy the odd one for "takeoff approach and landing" reasons) feel awkward to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭pavb2

Read through the posts and different opinions so what are the pros & cons of a Kindle V Ipad the Kindle on balance seems to be more popular.

Just downloaded Kindle for pc on Amazon so i'll try that but would be interested in people's advice

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I can see a use for the Kindle, but I don't think I'll ever be able to wean myself off the paper product either. I don't like the black flash when the pages turn, I find it very jarring. And I'd be worried about the obsolescence factor, I don't want to buy books only to lose them when file formats and devices change. There's also the availability issues and the implications of ownership. Technically, I believe books downloaded to a Kindle are only licensed, not bought - hence the situation a while back when users found a book had been deleted from their advice. Ideologically that troubles me, I prefer the security of a physical book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

Thinking of getting a Kindle for Christmas. What I can't stomach however is the content prices. Why is an electronic version of a book is more expensive that paper version?! Are they collecting buckets of electrons that makes books and replicating them by hand and delivering it electron by electron into the device? Greedy f*eckers!! I still fancy one though..!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

positron wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a Kindle for Christmas. What I can't stomach however is the content prices. Why is an electronic version of a book is more expensive that paper version?! Are they collecting buckets of electrons that makes books and replicating them by hand and delivering it electron by electron into the device? Greedy f*eckers!! I still fancy one though..!
    As I recall it is because books have no/lower VAT and electronical books don't get that discount and are slapped with full VAT (this may or may not explain the difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The price is chosen based on that people are willing to pay, not so much cost of delivery. As there is no warehouse space cost to encourage sales prices may be higher.
    For programming books where there is lots of competition on the same topics, the cost can be substantially less if you wait for the special offers.

Bought the kindle v3 and it's brilliant that my bookshelves will empty of thousand page obsolescent technical tomes in favour of a diary sized device.
    Maybe they'll be replaced with more finds from the local second hand shops.

Adding m.gutenberg.org which has kindle formatted books, including images, to the inbuilt web-browser has resulted in my reading out-of-copyright books that I found too tiring to complete on a heavy laptop with a backlit screen.

Barnes and Noble have a equivalent device and service which can offer time limited sharing of books so, if nagged, Amazon might start asking publishers for the same permissions.

The notes and annotations definitely need work. At the moment they are limited to sharing to facebook/twitter.

Is 3G version worth the asking or is wifi sufficient? And is there any bandwidth and/or coverage issue with their Whispernet (which if I read correctly is operating on Vodafone network?). Also, is there much point in paying for a newspaper subscription to have it auto-delivered, when you can browse the newspaper site for free (of those that allow that is, like IrishTimes for example) anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

positron wrote: »
    Is 3G version worth the asking or is wifi sufficient?

+1 on these questions.

I'm going to order one to my sisters address up the North. Can i link the kindle account to a paypal account for buying books or would it be best to get a UK prepaid credit card?

Tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Is 3G version worth the asking or is wifi sufficient?

Well how often are you going to find yourself outside of a wifi zone and you absolutely positively HAVE to download a book? I've only had my Kindle less than a week and any books I've ordered I've done from home wifi.
    I guess it will differ for each person.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Thanks for the comments, really helpful!

I plan to use kindle for train commutes. So I guess 3g would be handy in that way, but I am not too keen on browsing websites as such - except news sites may be - hence the question about newspaper subscription - is there any other way to get newspapers 'delivered' to kindle daily while you are on wifi (at home) - for example, can I not setup a little tool on my always on PC to grab and email all interesting news items to the Amazon email address that's configured to the Kindle? Would that not have the same effect as newspaper subscription without the silly subscription fees?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Valmont wrote: »
    For me, the one distinct advantage of an e-reader would be its ability to display PDF files. I'm doing a research postgrad and I'm sick of printing off 20+ page articles on A4 paper and then lugging them around losing bits here and there. If I could write notes on it, now that would be brilliant!
    This has been the best aspect of the Kindle for me. It's great to be able to just put lots of physics and mathematics papers on one device that I can read anywhere instead of basically drowning under a million A4 sheets.

I've also found it great for languages. Just upload a pdf with grammar or vocab. Although this sounds obvious, it is a surprisingly good way to learn.

I think, from listening to others, that the Kindle doesn't really suit people who read fiction. I can see the reasons, the "curling up with a nice book" feeling, however I never really read fiction (except mythology). I think it's one of the few inventions that have really changed how I work and live and my learning rate has exploded thanks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

You should get a digital copy if you buy the paperback. Put a code or something on it, Id buy a kindle then. i like having a large bookshelf filled with memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    You should get a digital copy if you buy the paperback. Put a code or something on it, Id buy a kindle then. i like having a large bookshelf filled with memories.

I've been using one for the past week. The physical act of reading on it has been surprisingly easy, the screen doesn't suffer from glare, and it is sturdy and light.
    Excellent for reading technical documents, even if the annotation can be clunky. I can't see myself ever using it for reading fiction, at the end of the day I love the tactile feel of a book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Enkidu wrote: »
    I think, from listening to others, that the Kindle doesn't really suit people who read fiction.

I don't think that's a given.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think a Kindle would be good for bringing on holiday or commuting but nothing can beat a nice new book. Perhaps if the Kindle could replicate that 'new book' smell I would be interested. :)

eoin wrote: »
    I don't think that's a given.
    Sorry, silly way to put it. Rather, in my own experience, from talking to others I find that those who read fiction heavily don't seem to enjoy it as much as others and are more likely to prefer a book. Not that one is a logical consequence of the other, just that it's what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Enkidu wrote: »
    Sorry, silly way to put it. Rather, in my own experience, from talking to others I find that those who read fiction heavily don't seem to enjoy it as much as others and are more likely to prefer a book. Not that one is a logical consequence of the other, just that it's what I've seen.

Perhaps anecdotally but I am almost exclusively a fiction reader and I love reading on my Kindle. And most fiction fans who have reviewed it seem to love it too.

I don't quite grasp why a fiction reader wouldn't like reading on a Kindle?

• Advertisement

Perhaps anecdotally but I am almost exclusively a fiction reader and I love reading on my Kindle. And most fiction fans who have reviewed it seem to love it too.

I don't quite grasp why a fiction reader wouldn't like reading on a Kindle?
    The people I've spoken to like the feeling of curling up with a book. However it seems my experience doesn't correlate with the general feeling. All the better, because it's a great device. Again it's not that fiction reader "must" dislike the kindle, it's just what I've seen, which apparently doesn't seem to be the trend generally.

Advertisement