Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the majority of cats in IKEA's advert white?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

god damn cats, coming in here, taking our acting jobs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Great example of a pisstake thread being hijacked by interesting, informative posting.
    Good work Anonoboy.

I was making it all up as I went along although I surprised myself in that it does make sense.

I never did my thesis on animals in advertising.

You don't have to do a thesis in clown college.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I was making it all up as I went along although I surprised myself in that it does make sense.

I always thought 'taught' and 'research-based' degrees were an awful waste of time. More credit should be given for making plausible ѕhit up on the spur of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I always thought 'taught' and 'research-based' degrees were an awful waste of time. More credit should be given for making plausible ѕhit up on the spur of the moment.

i think thats politics your on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

gurramok wrote: »
    Not around my way. Most are either jet black or black & white.

As I said, Ireland was not affected as much but that does not matter as the ad was not made here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In IKEA
    All cats are white
    In IKEA
    The textures coat my skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Saruman wrote: »
    As I said, Ireland was not affected as much but that does not matter as the ad was not made here.

It's broadcast here, I watched it last night!

Googling cat colours certainly does not bring up white coloured cats as the dominant cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It's broadcast here, I watched it last night!

Googling cat colours certainly does not bring up white coloured cats as the dominant cat!

It may be broadcast here but that means nothing. Very few ads are made in Ireland, they are usually made in the UK and broadcast here because we are the same market.

On the cat thing, it is very likely I am talking through my arse :p

It just strikes me that completely black cats are very rare, especially in the US and the reason I have always heard is that black cats were hunted down and killed during the witch trials etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Completely anything cats are rare - there's usually some big of mongrel in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Completely anything cats are rare - there's usually some big of mongrel in there.
    Dont let Pedigree cat breeders hear ya say that...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I saw the making of video of this ad a while ago. The cats all belonged to volunteers who brought them along to a British ikea one night and let them loose.
    I assuming the white thing is either to do with hair, as it might be easier to clean white hairs, or some of the long haired cats don't shed.

Its probably just an aesthetic thing though. It looks tidier and calmer to have cats of one colour. White being nice and neutral.

Saruman wrote: »
    It just strikes me that completely black cats are very rare, especially in the US and the reason I have always heard is that black cats were hunted down and killed during the witch trials etc

I disagree that black cats are very rare, i've seen a good few in number around.

Still, white cats are no way the majority of the cat population to be represented in the advert. In fact, other non-white cats of all colours were mostly excluded as cats of other colours way outnumber the white ones, bloody disgraceful :mad: ;P :D

Noodleworm wrote: »
    I assuming the white thing is either to do with hair, as it might be easier to clean white hairs, or some of the long haired cats don't shed.

Its probably just an aesthetic thing though. It looks tidier and calmer to have cats of one colour. White being nice and neutral.

Ah here, so other coloured cats are dirtier than white cats? wtf?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I was making it all up as I went along although I surprised myself in that it does make sense..

Good job though, you hit the nail on the head. I saw something about it on the net before.

prinz wrote: »
    Good job though, you hit the nail on the head. I saw something about it on the net before.

Link as to why white is better than black?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

in ireland black cats are considered good luck

Especially if you are trying to start a band called Thin Lizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Link as to why white is better than black?:eek:

Just to do with people with small housedogs more likely to be concerned with cleanliness, tidiness etc, so you have a spotless snow white little lap dog or something if the advert is filmed indoors as opposed to big drooling boxer for instance :pac: Basically as Anonoboy pointed out it was to do with where the ad was set, so an ad set in the outdoors would more likley feature a bigger rough-and-tumble dog.

prinz wrote: »
    Just to do with people with small housedogs more likely to be concerned with cleanliness, tidiness etc, so you have a spotless snow white little lap dog or something if the advert is filmed indoors as opposed to big drooling boxer for instance :pac: Basically as Anonoboy pointed out it was to do with where the ad was set, so an ad set in the outdoors would more likley feature a bigger rough-and-tumble dog.

Whats wrong with a lovely Black Labrador or a Chocolate or a Yellow one?!

Jayzus, people's perceptions of creatures based on their colour in order to sell stuff is really twisted.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The making of the Ad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

because one white cat had white kittens and then it was cheaper to use the family of cats they had rather than buying another black or tabby cat to prevent questions like this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

They picked the cats to complement the furniture they're advertising........duuuuuh, graphic design 101.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    because one white cat had white kittens and then it was cheaper to use the family of cats they had rather than buying another black or tabby cat to prevent questions like this one...

child labour :mad: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I read the title as cats (slang for people) and presumed the OP was gonna be slaggin' us honkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

omfg i love cats. all cats. in danish we call cats fisse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

omfg i love cats. all cats. in danish we call cats fisse.

Is that because, when you put them on the frying pan, they go "fisse"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

Is that because, when you put them on the frying pan, they go "fisse"?
    I c wat u did thar :P = ^_^ =

Advertisement