Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the majority of cats in IKEA's advert white?!

Options
  • 17-09-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7vXP3tHzhA&feature=related

This ad struck me as odd. It starts off with a non-white cat but as the ad progresses, the vast majority of cats are white.

From my observational experience of cat colours over the years, most cats are either black & white or just black with a minority been white or ginger or just a mixed bag of colours(:D) but IKEA used mostly white ones.

Are they trying to get a subliminal message across that only white cats are welcome in their stores? :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What is this? I don't even...........

EDIT: Also it's basic product psychology. Regarding colour/cuteness/or something/maybe. I'm more worried that you thought there was a racist slant to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

conspiracy forum
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i blame the clan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Cos white pussy is more prevailant in Sweden

• Advertisement

'cause black cats are unlucky.

in ireland black cats are considered good luck

Not if you cross them heading east and the striaght line distance between you and the cat is greater than 50 feet.

in ireland black cats are considered good luck

I'm presuming that the ad isn't made specifically for Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I actually did my college thesis on this subject.

Research into the way animals in adverts are perceived has shown that a black coloured domestic animal encourages viewers to think of dirt and grime in the home whereas a white animal comes across as cleaner and fresher. Obviously when advertising household furnishings and the like the cleaner, fresher feeling is one that they want to inspire in viewers.

Conversely in outdoor pursuits ads, a darker coloured animal was found to be preferable as it conveyed danger and excitement - exactly what outdoorsy types are looking for.

For a safe middle ground zebras and penguins are often used. Hence the P-P-Pick a Penguin campaign and the Zobra the Zebra line of Pantie liners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm presuming that the ad isn't made specifically for Ireland though.

It was on Irish tv last night :)

It was filmed in a Wembley, London store.

Are English cats majority white or something?!:confused:

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Research into the way animals in adverts are perceived has shown that a black coloured domestic animal encourages viewers to think of dirt and grime in the home whereas a white animal comes across as cleaner and fresher. Obviously when advertising household furnishings and the like the cleaner, fresher feeling is one that they want to inspire in viewers.

Conversely in outdoor pursuits ads, a darker coloured animal was found to be preferable as it conveyed danger and excitement - exactly what outdoorsy types are looking for.

For a safe middle ground zebras and penguins are often used. Hence the P-P-Pick a Penguin campaign and the Zobra the Zebra line of Pantie liners.

Deep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Well holy god.

That's pretty damned interesting actually and pretty much ends this thread :p

lol wut?

Agreed most comprehensive ending to a thread ever.

Thread Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

gurramok wrote: »
    most cats are either black & white or just black with a minority been white or ginger or just a mixed bag of colours(:D) but IKEA used mostly white ones.

This is completely untrue. Black cats are incredibly rare. In times gone by they were killed because of stupid religious types associating them with the devil and witchcraft and BS like that.

To find a black cat now is a very rare thing, less so in Ireland were we did not have as much burning at the stake but on mainland Europe and to a degree in the UK and a very large degree in the US you will be hard pressed to find a Black cat.

You will usually only find cats that are black with white patches on their paws and underside.

Anyway, that said and possibly being one of the reasons, I would say it is more down to contrast.

Did you notice that must of the furniture was also white? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The cats used there ,in my opinion are not common cats.

The DSHC is not evident, you know the type, striped geezers with M over the nose area.

Yep, I'd say they were going for the middle class or pure bred cats there.

saw a few Burmese and Siamese..

interesting thread indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

+1, most notably with the Pedigree Chum outdoorsy border collie and the Cesar dog foods use of a snow white West Highland indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:confused: OP most of them in that ad are pedigree cats...not just the random moggie you find on the street. Theres prob about €5ks+ worth of cats in that ad...Birmans, Ragdolls,Sphynxs (black hairless cat).Domestic Shorthairs are moggies (ginger and white kitten).

How you can get a racist tone off that ad baffles me. Its one of my favs on tv at the moment. Unreal amount of cuteness in it :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

prinz wrote: »
    +1, most notably with the Pedigree Chum outdoorsy border collie and the Cesar dog foods use of a snow white West Highland indoors.

Noisy, vicious little feckers... Thats why I don't eat Pedigree Chum.

Why would you need a reason not to eat Pedigree Chum ...?

Saruman wrote: »
    This is completely untrue. Black cats are incredibly rare. In times gone by they were killed because of stupid religious types associating them with the devil and witchcraft and BS like that.

To find a black cat now is a very rare thing, less so in Ireland were we did not have as much burning at the stake but on mainland Europe and to a degree in the UK and a very large degree in the US you will be hard pressed to find a Black cat.

You will usually only find cats that are black with white patches on their paws and underside.

Anyway, that said and possibly being one of the reasons, I would say it is more down to contrast.

Did you notice that must of the furniture was also white? :eek:

Not around my way. Most are either jet black or black & white.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    :confused: OP most of them in that ad are pedigree cats...not just the random moggie you find on the street. Theres prob about €5ks+ worth of cats in that ad...Birmans, Ragdolls,Sphynxs (black hairless cat), Domestic Shorthairs (ginger and white kitten).

How you can get a racist tone off that ad baffles me. Its one of my favs on tv at the moment. Unreal amount of cuteness in it :p

So its a class issue?;)

Your indicating most pedigree cats are mostly white while the common cats are mostly non-white.

Why did they not use cats to reflect the wider society?:confused:

more a brandy man?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Are they trying to get a subliminal message across that only white cats are welcome in their stores? :mad:

I think they would prefer fat cats instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

more a brandy man?

After a nice meal, please :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Your indicating most pedigree cats are mostly white while the common cats are mostly non-white.
    Whaaa? No i didnt feck sake...

Janey an argument really can be made out of anythin these days...or you've too much time on your hands to be reading things into an IKEA ad! Next you'll be asking why cats were used and not dogs :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Next you'll be asking why cats were used and not dogs :rolleyes:;)

Well now that you mention it I did a research masters on that very subject........ ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Great example of a pisstake thread being hijacked by interesting, informative posting.
    Good work Anonoboy.

Did you notice that must of the furniture was also white?
    How do white cats contrast with white furniture? Black cats' shed hair would probably be a less welcome contrast with the white furniture.

• Advertisement

Whaaa? No i didnt feck sake...

Janey an argument really can be made out of anythin these days...or you've too much time on your hands to be reading things into an IKEA ad! Next you'll be asking why cats were used and not dogs :rolleyes:;)

You did so!

Black cats have rights too you know! And they can miaoww on the catwalk pedigree style. Defo discrimination in that advert.

Advertisement