Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Ireland's greatest person

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Michael Collins
    Coleyoscar wrote: »
    The Blueshirts were not founded until ten years after Michael Collins was killed. To call Michael Collins a 'Blueshirt' is a bit like calling Daniel O'Connell a Progressive Democrat.

Don't be ridiculous

Collins was the leader of the pro-treaty Sinn Fein which became C na G/FG. Don't Forget O'Duffy was a Collins loyalist too.

What are the links between Daniel O'Connell and the PDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

Mary Robinson
    Surprised Michael Collins didn't win and surprised how wrong the AH poll was...ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

James Connolly
    Interesting that the boards poll was wrong

Testimony to the over-representation of Shinners online, I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Michael Collins
    You have to be Sinn Fein to vote for Collins now?

Tell me more......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Michael Collins
    SF voting for Collins? LOLOL

• Advertisement

James Connolly
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    SF voting for Collins? LOLOL

Over the other options? For sure.
    In any case, it does appear that the Irish nation as a whole differ in opinion from the inhabitants of AH. That says plenty to me about how representative opinions in here are.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

It's a Disgrace that Arther Griffith wasn't even mentioned tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Michael Collins
    In any case, it does appear that the Irish nation as a whole differ in opinion from the inhabitants of AH. That says plenty to me about how representative opinions in here are.
    Yes, thats right, SF people will all vote for the man who separated this country, then got Brit help to shell his mates.

James Connolly
    civichead wrote: »

How many rising members do you want? They made up 40% of the final list, ffs.
    The nation didn't begin and end in 1916. Like the OP, I'm saddened that the very many Irish nobel prize winners, inventors, explorers and medics didn't get a look in, while a singer and a president who quit did.

Michael Collins

So SF will vote for Collins over Connolly.....

And the AH crowd are wildly different from the rest of the country despite the fact that Collins came second in the actual poll ......

• Advertisement

James Connolly
    Nodin wrote: »
    So SF will vote for Collins over Connolly.....

And the AH crowd are wildly different from the rest of the country despite the fact that Collins came second in the actual poll ......

They're wildly different because Hume came fourth here and won the real vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

How many rising members do you want? They made up 40% of the final list, ffs.
    The nation didn't begin and end in 1916. Like the OP, I'm saddened that the very many Irish nobel prize winners, inventors, explorers and medics didn't get a look in, while a singer and a president who quit did.

Griffith wasn't a rising member, he actually fought for home rule and was the second signatory on the treaty. He would be on my list ahead of Connelly, Robinson and Bono; and yeah Robert Boyle should be on the list along with Parnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably alot of Republicans and Pinkos voting! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Michael Collins

And how do you know that Hume winning isn't the result of a distortion with regards to voting on the late late.....?

James Connolly
    And how do you know that Hume winning isn't the result of a distortion with regards to voting on the late late.....?

CT forum ======================>

:D

Michael Collins
    CT forum ======================>

:D

Doesn't require a conspiracy
    You stated

How do you know that the ones who voted for hume were any more representative of "the Irish nation as a whole"? This wasn't conducted as a referendum, you know....

James Connolly
    Doesn't require a conspiracy
    You stated

How do you know that the ones who voted for hume were any more representative of "the Irish nation as a whole"? This wasn't conducted as a referendum, you know....

Statistics 101.
    How many people voted here?
    How many people voted in the actual poll?
    Which therefore is more representative?

Michael Collins

Of course the provos voted for Collins. He was a right wing sellout who eventually fell in love with the brits and was seduced by the potential trappings of office.
    civichead wrote: »

Why? The provos also support the idea of dual monarchy now do they? Griffith loved the King more than anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Anyone else think it's a tad disrespectful rounding up all our historical greats and making us choose the greatest of them? I mean, it's making a bit of a charade of their achievements.

They're all great in their own way, comparing Michael Collins and Bono is just ridiculous imo. Asking people to choose between is just even more ridiculous.

Michael Collins
    Statistics 101.
    How many people voted here?
    How many people voted in the actual poll?
    Which therefore is more representative?

...but unless both groups are - at the outset - a proper cross section of society......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Surprised Michael Collins didn't win and surprised how wrong the AH poll was...ah well.

Goes to show how niche boards is really

Michael Collins
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's a tad disrespectful rounding up all our historical greats and making us choose the greatest of them? I mean, it's making a bit of a charade of their achievements.

They're all great in their own way, comparing Michael Collins and Bono is just ridiculous imo. Asking people to choose between is just even more ridiculous.

Any sh1te will be shown on TV if it will get viewers

James Connolly
    ...but unless both groups are - at the outset - a proper cross section of society......

Statistics 102: the law of big numbers. The bigger the sample, the more representative it is.

Michael Collins
    Statistics 102: the law of big numbers. The bigger the sample, the more representative it is.
    Representative sampling is a type of statistical sampling in which a researcher attempts to select individuals which are representative of a larger population. In statistical sampling, people gather data from a small group and try to extrapolate the results to make generalizations about a larger group. Truly representative sampling is extremely hard to accomplish, and researchers may dedicate a great deal of time and funding to getting the most representative sample possible.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-representative-sampling.htm

Gaybo:

Roll it there Colette

It started on the late late show

There's one for everyone in the audience

Tubs:

Take a sweet from my jar to prove u approve of my mundane questioning

No personal questions please

My family are part of the ff cohort that screwed the economy but I'll act liberal in my economic discussions

Oh and. U like my tweed sports jacket and brown cords

James Connolly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers
    In probability theory, the law of large numbers (LLN) is a theorem that describes the result of performing the same experiment a large number of times. According to the law, the average of the results obtained from a large number of trials should be close to the expected value, and will tend to become closer as more trials are performed.

Translation: The more people you poll, the closer to the opinion of the entire populace you get.

Don't forget the law that states I guess boards voters will tend to be a more geeky younger it savy demographic than ye olde oirish tv phone voter who are capable of remembering past a certain jaundice film about Mick collins

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

McDougal wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous

Collins was the leader of the pro-treaty Sinn Fein which became C na G/FG. Don't Forget O'Duffy was a Collins loyalist too.

What are the links between Daniel O'Connell and the PDs?

I think you're missing the point. My argument is that is it ridiculous to say that Michael Collins was a 'Blueshirt'. He wasn't. He couldn't have been. There are groups of people who visit Bodenstown every year and claim Wolfe Tone for their own but it would be daft to say Tone was a 'Provo' or a 'Fianna Failer', for example. I think we should rise above the name calling is all I'm saying.

Michael Collins
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

Translation: The more people you poll, the closer to the opinion of the entire populace you get.

....but people aren't being polled. RTE ran a few programmes and asked its viewers "what do yez think". Thats rather different from conducting a nationwide poll or referenda.....

• Advertisement

James Connolly
    ....but people aren't being polled.

Who do you think voted then, zebras?

Advertisement