Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Ah that was me being all optimistic and forgetting half the traveller will have to sit on the already constructed bit, not just float in mid-air!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

These last bits seem to be taking ages :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

These last bits seem to be taking ages :D

True but they probably need to do something to prestress the structure so it has the same stress and loading along the whole length of the deck.

If you look as some of the pictures it looks like the final join will be made with the sections out of alignment with each end pointing downward.

My guess is that all has to be "straightened" out as the last sections are poured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The new ross bypass 14/05/19 (pics fb page)
    boVtMKH.jpg

Hd4kAST.jpg

WajLFUQ.jpg

VmWjGGA.jpg

sTIFMXK.jpg

The rfk bridge on top of the world 14/05/19
    Z0u4x20.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

m17 wrote: »
    eagerv wrote: »
    Will it be completed next year?
    Yes it will opening end of march 2019 all work will be completed by May 2019
    What's the latest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

I really hope that the people in this house were allocated enough money from the project for decent triple glazing and sound proofing.
    What they're about to experience is going to be very different to whatever they were used to up to now.

aTfUgZd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭prunudo

I presume the cable reels in the 3rd picture are going to be for the cheese grater style crash barriers. I don't know why they are still specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

josip wrote:
    I really hope that the people in this house were allocated enough money from the project for decent triple glazing and sound proofing. What they're about to experience is going to be very different to whatever they were used to up to now.

The low noise tarmac is amazing though! You can really tell the difference down at the Glenmore roundabout works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

josip wrote: »
    I really hope that the people in this house were allocated enough money from the project for decent triple glazing and sound proofing.
    What they're about to experience is going to be very different to whatever they were used to up to now.
    gman2k wrote: »
    The low noise tarmac is amazing though! You can really tell the difference down at the Glenmore roundabout works.
    Even despite that, I'm surprised not to see even a little bit of noise barrier on the road beside them - surely not that much would be needed, or maybe it's not in place yet?

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 17/05/19 (pic N25 on twitter )
    cFYxNeL.jpg

The barrow crossing 16/05/19 (pic bam ireland)
    LpMH0PX.jpg

Rising out of the mist
    LkwI9s4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gman2k wrote: »

the newest section of the M11 has this and it's incredible the difference in road noise compared to the sections on either side of it (drainage is much better as well).

loyatemu wrote: »
    the newest section of the M11 has this and it's incredible the difference in road noise compared to the sections on either side of it (drainage is much better as well).

Is there any impact on stopping distance with the lower friction surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

From The Wexford People
    Project Liaison Officer Sean Dobbs, of Wexford County Council, confirmed that the two sides of the bridge on the New Ross Bypass are due to meet in the middle in July.

Mr Dobbs said people are witnessing history in the making as construction on the massive 887m bridge nears its conclusion. A new Portuguese crew has been drafted in to help finish the bridge, which is at the heart of a 14km bypass of New Ross town, stretching from Corcoran’s Cross roundabout to Glenmore.

‘It’s progressing very well and is due to be completed in quarter four,’ Mr Dobbs said.

The dual carriageway includes the world’s longest three tower extradosed bridge, a type of cable-stay structure, spanning the River Barrow.

Traffic will not be on the bridge and bypass until late autumn, early winter, Mr Dobbs confirmed, as once the bridge’s central spans – which are the longest in the world – meet, a significant amount of work will remain to be completed, including final improvements, the installation of monitoring equipment and finishing works, meaning crews will be on site throughout the autumn.
    It will be the longest bridge in Ireland at almost 900m and it features the longest central type span of its kind in the world.’ Camera crews have been recording the bridge as it nears completion and it has already featured in engineering magazines abroad.

It's a pity they didn't highlight that it was the longest of its type.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

It's a pity they didn't highlight that it was the longest of its type.

Yeah, it surely deserved a mention!

Yeah, it surely deserved a mention!

It did mention it, didn't want to quote the whole article
    The dual carriageway includes the world’s longest three tower extradosed bridge, a type of cable-stay structure, spanning the River Barrow.

jd wrote: »
    It did mention it, didn't want to quote the whole article

Ah yeah like, but they could have maybe mentioned it more than just the once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭prunudo

I woupd have thought at the rate they've been going it be sooner than July.
    Any significance to them bringing in a new crew rather than an extra crew. Probably badly worded but implies the old crew weren't up to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

jvan wrote: »
    I woupd have thought at the rate they've been going it be sooner than July.
    Any significance to them bringing in a new crew rather than an extra crew. Probably badly worded but implies the old crew weren't up to the job.

Probably new crew are cheaper and will work for less.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

my3cents wrote: »

Or maybe they have the skills required to tension cables rather than pouring concrete and moving scaffold up a bit, and pouring more concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭corm500

my3cents wrote: »

Judging by the Spanish flag on top of the bridge I would say the Portuguese crew might not get a great welcome from the existing crew :D

Ah yeah like, but they could have maybe mentioned it more than just the once!

/me wakes up...

The barrow crossing 21/05/19:(pics fb page)
    euocoyf.jpg

QCbaHa2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Really starting to take shape now!

The barrow crossing 20/05/19 (pic LinkedIn )
    aa2PX91.jpg

Was that a tour group in the photo?

• Advertisement

Was that a tour group in the photo?

According to the LinkedIn post, it was a tour given to the BAM Ireland office team.

Nice field trip!

There are some other good photos and videos on LinkedIn if you search for “New Ross bypass” and filter for ‘content’

Advertisement