Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Geogregor wrote: »
    So, how far is design progressed before the tender?
    We pretty much know the dimensions of the bridge and how it will look like. Is that's it?
    Does the road authority designs the bridge in the sense that it decides about, let say, the type of foundations, how many piles have to be driven, reinforcement dimensions, etc and the the winning consortium only has to design how to build this thing (temporary supports, sequence of concrete pours etc)
    Or does everything have to be designed from scratch by the consortium?
    The second option might take a while.

Yes, you know the look and general concept of the bridge - you have to have that to get planning but it's the same as planning a house. You have the general concept when you applying for the planning, eg. house height, windows number and location, type of slate, etc. You won't have done the electrics design, a full foundation design, option between wood floors/concrete floors, etc. There's still a lot of the detail that has to be sorted out post planning. It will be the same for the bridge/road. It's not that everything needs to be designed from scratch but that the concept has to be brought to a stage where it can be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Luckily its not the first bridge that Bam and Dragados have built so the process should move forward quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Mellifera wrote: »
    Yes, you know the look and general concept of the bridge - you have to have that to get planning but it's the same as planning a house. You have the general concept when you applying for the planning, eg. house height, windows number and location, type of slate, etc. You won't have done the electrics design, a full foundation design, option between wood floors/concrete floors, etc. There's still a lot of the detail that has to be sorted out post planning. It will be the same for the bridge/road. It's not that everything needs to be designed from scratch but that the concept has to be brought to a stage where it can be built.

I suspect that at the stage of tender they must know more than just major dimensions and shape of the bridge. Even just to estimate the cost of it they have to know how much steel and concrete they will need.

The design might be actually well advanced by now as they might have proceeded with it before the contract signing. The consortium was known for a few months. They must have been 99% sure to get the job ;)

Anyway, it would be nice to have some insider info on what stage they actually are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Given that the contract was only signed recently I doubt a great deal of effort has been pumped into advancing the design much beyond what was done during the tender. Until the ink is dry on the paper there was no certainty, no contract & hence no money... can't see any company take that sort of gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Sod was turned today

https://twitter.com/LabourWexford/status/694149908006375424

According to George Lawlor, Howlin's local assistant
    Turning the sod on the New Ross bypass. Of all the projects in the past 5 years this one was the most difficult and legally challenging to get over the line. It will contain the longest 'estrados' bridge span in the world.

https://www.facebook.com/george.lawlor.9/posts/10208856334154052?pnref=story

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What is an Estrados bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Think they mean "extradosed"

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Swear an election coming up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

guylikeme wrote: »
    Swear an election coming up...

Good spade work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradosed_bridge
    sorta beam / sorta cable stayed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You mean like the Dundrum Luas bridge?

You mean like the Dundrum Luas bridge?

No, that's a normal cable stayed bridge. The deck is held up by the cables.

Extradosed cables pull the deck towards the pylon to prestress it, and the ylon holds the deck up

It's a subtle difference and one will merge into the other with no clear boundary as you scale the bridge up.

http://www.ijera.com/papers/Vol3_issue4/HR3414241429.pdf

Years ago I downloaded PDF file with quite detailed map of New Ross bypass.
    I don't remember from where so I'll post some pages converted to JPEGs here:

24705682331_52db4c8767_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-001
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

24772934356_3b69664c6d_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-002
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

24799176245_395216c37f_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-003
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

24170998984_3296b23b8a_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-004
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

24772926106_1114c36735_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-005
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

24705668061_bafbdea790_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-006
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

24799165955_b08a38f317_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-007
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

24172276223_732d253f84_b.jpg
    New Ross N25 Bypass-page-008
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

So there will be three at grade roundabouts (existing N25 tie-in west of New Ross, N25 tie-in east of New Ross and tie-in with N30). The only grade separated junction will be with R733. Pity they didn't think about grade separation where the bypass will tie-in to the existing N25, east and west of New Ross.
    Still I'm looking forward to follow this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

The 3 tower extradosed bridge will be the longest of its kind in the world.

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2016/02/09/bam-reaches-financial-close-of-e230m-n25-new-ross-bypass-ppp-project/

This will shorten the tramps heartbreak, the 3km stretch of dead straight road from Corcoran's cross towards Clonroche

There wasn't a house along this stretch of road when I was a lad

I notice there is still no drawn scale on the plans, Would it kill the TII to insist on one so we can see it on screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

This will shorten the tramps heartbreak, the 3km stretch of dead straight road from Corcoran's cross towards Clonroche

There wasn't a house along this stretch of road when I was a lad

I notice there is still no drawn scale on the plans, Would it kill the TII to insist on one so we can see it on screen?

Scale = 1:5000 H 1:1000 V @ A3 shown on all drawings

I'm waiting for them to start the website for the scheme with all the maps, drawings, updates and photos (once things start on the ground). The same applies to M11 Enniscorthy bypass.

Is this project partially EU founded (even if it is PPP)? In Poland on the schemes financed by the EU (which means most of them) information website is compulsory and run by the engineering consultancy company hired to oversee the main contractor.

As the same consortium will be running both N25 and M11 schemes will they consolidate management or do you guys think that they will run them pretty much separately?

Any news about renting premises for the management or hiring local staff?

tonc76 wrote: »
    Scale = 1:5000 H 1:1000 V @ A3 shown on all drawings

Yes. What size and zoom level is my screen?
    What are my printer margin settings?
    Is scale to fit set on my printing software.
    Too many variables.
    Draw a scale on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Too many variables.
    Draw a scale on the map.

There are chainage markers every 100m in plan and the profile is marked every 10m V and every 20m H. If you need a hand figuring them out let me know :cool:

Too many variables.
    Draw a scale on the map.

I have original PDF somewhere. If you send me your email I can send it to you.

Still, ideally it should be all available on the project website. Sooner it starts the better. I'm really waiting for more details about the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭josip

Too many variables.
    Draw a scale on the map.

As a young fella I used to be able to throw a stone out to the 1400 line from the turn of the Pink if that helps you to judge the distance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Geogregor wrote: »

Looks great!

Someone added New Ross Bypass to OpenStreetMap. Any of you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

What's the chance of a new government stopping this project?

Like FF & the other Healy Reas style parish pump politicans pandering to the "poor old whest gets nothing" types:mad:

New government formed, more cutbacks? Is the EU funding ringfenced for the bypass or can it be diverted to other projects? :pac:

Mu uncle has said for 15 years this will never get built in his lifetime, he's 65ish he could well be right! :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's the chance of a new government stopping this project?

Like FF & the other Healy Reas style parish pump politicans pandering to the "poor old whest gets nothing" types:mad:

New government formed, more cutbacks? Is the EU funding ringfenced for the bypass or can it be diverted to other projects? :pac:

Mu uncle has said for 15 years this will never get built in his lifetime, he's 65ish he could well be right! :mad:

Zero. This is a PPP project so once the contract is signed (which it is) there's no stopping it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

marno21 wrote: »
    Zero. This is a PPP project so once the contract is signed (which it is) there's no stopping it.

Plus the one good thing that FF did while in government was build roads! We wouldn't have the current motorway network without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Plus the one good thing that FF did while in government was build roads! We wouldn't have the current motorway network without them.

What?! The country was surplus with cash..any party would of done the same! Feck all to so with FF

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    What?! The country was surplus with cash..any party would of done the same! Feck all to so with FF

Apart from the LUAS, they seriously neglected public transport nationwide!!
    We are really feeling that now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Apart from the LUAS, they seriously neglected public transport nationwide!!
    We are really feeling that now....

Hard to argue with you but we shouldn't forget previously we didn't have a motorway network it was needed, now with network in place and yes it is Dublin centric it now needs to be expanded to include the inter connecting links to the other cities our rail infrastructure needs a serious look at and investment next. It shouldn't be quicker to travel from Galway or Cork to Dublin by car, rail travel should be a viable alternative but there is no incentive there at the moment.

Advertisement