Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded Dear John

Options
  • 16-09-2010 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Came home this morning to a dreaded letter of regret from the PSNI however with a merit placing in the low 700's i didnt expect much else. Still disappointing tho :(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sorry to hear your bad news KB , thanks for posting to let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

and im out of the game for the 7th-ish (more than likely more) time

cant say im surprised considering i done my a/c 2nd week of may and heard naff all since, still bloody gutting though since its all i want to do :(

right im away for a gurn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Melmummo

Got my Dear John today too!! Good luck and hopefully I'll get a chance to apply again soon! Xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sammich

Got a letter too. Passed the AC and heard nothing else.
    Totally gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

I got in with a merit score of low 700's, it doesn't automatically ruin any chance you might have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I'm sorry for all you folks that got ' Dear John's ' , did anyone receive the more positive letter ( i.e. their application will progress ) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

What merit scores did those of you who received a 'Dear John' obtain?

i didnt bother finding out, i didnt see how knowing would benifit me, at the end of the day why torture yourself with a number that gives an indication of how far away or how close you are to your dream. best not knowing in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Melmummo

My merit place was 530-540! So half expected it, but still had a glimmer of hope! Ah well best to look at what I can change and that's how I would perform if I got another chance to apply!

Well... Received mine also this morning :rolleyes:
    Didn't bother me in the least though, it was obvious with a merit of 840's it was game over!
    I know it was mentioned a while ago that the dear johns had no mention of 50/50 (I'm on the phone here though so checking back for it is a pain!) but mine does mention it... Just wondering does everybody else's?

Meh... I will be back PSNI, stronger and better, you ain't getting rid of me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

sorry to hear that PIB and indeed the rest of you, when you got your score of 840 was that non RC?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I am half expecting the Dear John myself. Only think giving me a glimmer of hope is that no letter received as of yet and I have done my medical etc.

Merit score was 700-720. Though speaking to a cop yesterday he said he was the same and he got in.

1986j wrote: »
    I am half expecting the Dear John myself. Only think giving me a glimmer of hope is that no letter received as of yet and I have done my medical etc.

Merit score was 700-720. Though speaking to a cop yesterday he said he was the same and he got in.

RC or NRC? if you dont mind me asking.

sharan wrote: »
    sorry to hear that PIB and indeed the rest of you, when you got your score of 840 was that non RC?

Cheers, I'm NRC indeed...I would almost put money on it that everybody receiving these will be NRC's, especially if what that article put up a while ago said about no RC's that made it into the pool in the past have bee turned down is true. Not moaning about it though, as the letter says, I would have been unsuccessful regardless of 50/50...kick me while I'm down sure why don't ya! :rolleyes:

Gee-22 wrote: »
    RC or NRC? if you dont mind me asking.

RC and I don't mind at all.

Then i doubt that you will get a Dear John with that place on the list.

May i ask where you were. 700 seems low to me :(

May i ask where you were. 700 seems low to me :(

Im around the 300 mark, but a NRC.

Crossed wired

How on earth did you get that letter. Seriously. There MUST be more than 80 RC's in the top 300 surely?

Maybe they are expecting a tiny intake and anyone outside the top 250 regardless will be getting the latter.

Crossed wires somewhere.

I didnt get a Dear John letter.

I havent recieved vetting letters etc, thats what i was on about. :D

• Advertisement

Yea I just edited it there lol

unfortunatelt in this game getting vetted and medicals means faff all, 2 applications ago, i recieved both my vetting and med within days of eachother...follwed by a dear ves86 a week later...nothings guarranteed until the ring of the telephone

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

dear john, merit score of 650-670

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

sorry to hear that they seem to be coming now, are you Non RC? Sorry to be blunt!

It seems that an NRC under 500 have received THE letter.

Any RC received one yet? If so what merit place were you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

They are chasing 30 %.Of course all of you RCs who have passed the AC are getting in.This pretend apprehension is grating,if a little naive.They need you to make up numbers.Even those that finish with a merit score of 1000 plus......

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

cesc,
    I don't think it's pretend apprehension, to tell you the truth. While I understand that people who received the Dear John will, naturally be disappointed, as an RC with not a particularly great merit placing, I would certainly rather receive a Dear John now, than three months down the line following much agonising.

cesc,
    I don't think it's pretend apprehension, to tell you the truth. While I understand that people who received the Dear John will, naturally be disappointed, as an RC with not a particularly great merit placing, I would certainly rather receive a Dear John now, than three months down the line following much agonising.
    If we go on past history....in which all RCs have got in if they have passed the AC (and vetting/med)then it is not beyond the wit of man to assume that you are getting in as they are desperate to hit the 30 percentile.

In fairness,I agree with you in that I would rather you received a Dear John now rather than later....but I am guessing that you wont due to the obvious.

Apparantly all RCs who have passed, have received vetting....now ,its not for me to say but if an RC has 42 in their AC and is reading this page you are laughing ....unless the subsequent cost cutting excercise affects RCs too...
    not likely.

Im sure Ill be castigated for this honesty

Perhaps you are not aware of this salient fact catweasel...and you are now doing twirly dances in your room knowing that you have been accepted should you pass vetting/med...which im sure you will... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Honestly, I don't think any proposed intake from this campaign will be enough to reach the 30% threshold, going from what I've heard. The RC recruits would have to make up 50%, and if there only recruiting 220, or even 440 overall, it's not going to get to the overall magic 30% anyway, and it's not like they can do a 60/40 or 70/30 RC/NRC to reach it, so, as far as my application goes, I'm not guaranteed a place.

Advertisement