Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to save shannon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

If I ever win the euromillions I will buy it, surely they would be glad to offload it. I have great plans for it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Like it or not, but you cannot ignore Ryanair and run an airport these days unless you are running a major hub like Heathrow, Paris or Frankfurt (the proper ones).
    And Shannon is not even close to that category, so what you're left with is Ryanair or you're running an airfield that is a lawn full of Cessnas.
    I know the management in Shannon don't want to deal with Ryanair because they actaully have to get off their asses and work and produce results.
    But this is the way of things now, the glory days of being in a state job in the 70's and 80's and being paid vast sums of money for little or no work are over.
    It is simply a prestige thing to run an airport like Shannon and thinking how great it is, when in reality all they where doing for 30 years is make money of the cursed forced stopover.
    The only way to save Shannon is to get a party into government that is sympathetic to the airport, forcefully break up the link between the DAA and Shannon, fire everyone in the DAA and the SAA for good measure and recruit good people who actually have some credentials not only in the airline and tourism industry, but busniness as well.
    Business these days is sink or swim, money talks, etc...
    I did sign the petition, of course, since I think that Sannon is vital for the region, but sadly the powers that be want everything for Dublin and we are sadly expendable.
    Would you not kill off your own competition in business if you where handed the opportunity?
    The DAA would be crazy not to.
    Only other way:
    Go to the European Court and sue the DAA over anti-competitive practices.

Have to agree with you about Ryanair, like it or not they are realistically the only show in town that could change shannon's fortunes.

And Shannonman50 youre completely doting if you think some other white knight low cost carrier is going to come anywhere near shannon.
    Ryanair is our only option right now but the DAA have seen to that...

Shannon
    Transatlantic 442,147 574,843 746,551 780,917 713,556
    Britain
    1,062,915 1,139,970 1,253,570 1,286,317 1,162,942
    Continental Europe
    888,946 1,020,437 1,066,630 816,676 655,831
    Other International
    869 2,820 507 320 16
    Domestic
    52,448 96,836 89,034 100,484 95,238
    Transit
    347,238 334,623 464,331 654,332 674,841
    2,794,563 3,169,529 3,620,623 3,639,046 3,302,424
    Percentage change -11.8% -12.5% -0.5% +10.2% +37.9%

just released daa 3009 report shannons passenger numbers for last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

HI BOL11, what will this petition achieve? the government, etc know local people want Shannon saved. Airlines will base their operations on finances not a petition or facebook page. What are your plans for the complete petition whenever you decide it is finished?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've signed, but it does seem pointless. We're not talking bringing back a chocolate bar here, so I don't think an online petition will do much.

What are the intentions of this? To highlight the problems we all know about? We all want Shannon airport to continue and grow, but what till this petition do to facilitate it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Say you have a shop. Up the road there is another shop but the owner of that shop is allowed to run your shop until at some time in the future, you both are allowed to compete directly against each other. How much effort is the owner of the other shop going to put into developing your shop.

Sorry to be simplistic, but this is not about ryanair, the military or preserving jobs. This is about removing DAA from the equation while they attempt to pay for the outrageous Terminal 2. If Shannon subsequently fails, its a loss but its a business reality. Shame on the deafening silence from our local TDs. All one could legitimately ask for is the ability to compete and that is not allowed under the DAA regime.

Sign the petition, present it to the local TDs whose only interest is which way the wind is blowing currently. If there is an issue not related to the economy which they can get behind, they may do so.

On a related matter, the issue was raised on Matt Cooper the other night and the contributions from local contributors were weak and uninspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Good item on Clare FM "Morning Focus" this morning, many people responding texting in messages of support!

Page 2 of the weekend Limerick Leader not bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Signed - Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alanmartin

Southwest.com would be an excellent airline for Shannon to chase down.
    There has been talk of them in the past.
    Amazing hubs in USA, mainlhy in the older, smaller, nkicer and closer to city centre airports (Midway in Chicago, Hobby in Houston), loads of flights to Manchester, New Hampshire which is full of irish-Americans, and Philadelphia.
    They are a US domestic low cost airline, excellent service, checked bags free, so may not wish to sign for the Visa Waiver requirements, but as Shannon has US pre-clearance, this isn't an issue (i.e. flying a passenger back who is denied entry to US) as you kjust walk back out of the "US" to Irish soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

alanmartin wrote: »
    Southwest.com would be an excellent airline for Shannon to chase down.
    There has been talk of them in the past.
    Amazing hubs in USA, mainlhy in the older, smaller, nkicer and closer to city centre airports (Midway in Chicago, Hobby in Houston), loads of flights to Manchester, New Hampshire which is full of irish-Americans, and Philadelphia.
    They are a US domestic low cost airline, excellent service, checked bags free, so may not wish to sign for the Visa Waiver requirements, but as Shannon has US pre-clearance, this isn't an issue (i.e. flying a passenger back who is denied entry to US) as you kjust walk back out of the "US" to Irish soil.

What? Not going to happen this decade anyway. That would be like Ryanair going long haul and yes they want to and may do soon but it's a major transition, no one airport will sway that decision.

Also, something that could really help Shannon (as was mentioned) in the short term is to encourage the U.S Air Force to use it more but of course we'll get the protesters; the same people that usually try to stop any economic development in the Country :rolleyes:

Harsh !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I'm signing as well

Advertisement