Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to save shannon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

A case of closing the door when the horse has bolted.....

best of luck with the petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I'd say more than a petition is needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

dont be negative just sign it

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Assuming maintaining Shannon Airport should be above politics, wouldn't this petition get more support if it didn't have political statement in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Signed

Who are you going to present this to when completed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

T'will make a grand spot yet, for the boy racers to let off steam:rolleyes:
    Them idle runways, would be perfect and our roads would be safer, were it not for the fact that they will probably one big pot hole :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Could we make it a US military base? They seem to like stopping there, and it'd create some local employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

kilburn wrote: »

done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Signed ............ There is noooooooooo way the can close Shannon. We'd be lost without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Signed. Is there a facebook page too? Something like that could really get things rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Signed ............ There is noooooooooo way the can close Shannon. We'd be lost without it!

If airlines decide not to fly in to Shannon ........... it's kaput.

How in God's name does anyone believe that signing a petition is going to in amy miniscule way possible influence the airlines.
    We already saw that when Aer Lingus, fckud off to Belfast a few years ago. All the ranting and raving and wailing and weeping and nashing of teeth had no effect whatsoever.
    Petition my arse:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Not being negative, being realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Not signing. It's a business, improve it to the stage that it's viable or shut it down.

Really surprised at some of the negative comments here, the airport is being run into the ground by the DAA so it can pay for Terminal 2 thats the state of play its up to the people to speak up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Triangla wrote: »
    Not signing. It's a business, improve it to the stage that it's viable or shut it down.

Its not as if we're talking about a fecking sweet shop here, Its a vital piece of infrastructure for the Mid-West.
    Shannon if released from the DAA and the clutches of Unions could thrive but the problem is its not being allowed to compete, the travel tax and the cutting of yet more ryanair services are just two more nails in the coffin.

This needs a serious facebook group set up .......... Opinions and ideas welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Signed. And while Im here,I think us in the Midwest are the only people who dont seem to constantly whinge on this site about Ryanair. The world DOES NOT revolve around Dublin or the DAA,so would you consider putting this up for a wider audience,not just the Clare forum?Can you tell me,OP,What are you going to do with this petition? AND fingers crossed something will be done before its way too late.:(

I am more than willing to run with this in a more proactive way with help.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Who will receive this? Will it one of these?

The Shannon Airport Authority?

The Shannon Board of Directors is made up of the following members:

Brian O'Connell (Chairman)
    Patrick Blaney
    Olivia Loughnane
    Ray Gray
    Dr Vincent Cunnane
    Mary Fitzgerald
    Mark Nolan
    Joe Buckley
    Audrey Costelloe

The Chairman Brian O'Connell will be telling Christy Curtin exactly who is running Shannon Airport (into the ground) in a meeting at Clare County Council, soon?

It is entirely possible that SAA is doing nothing, other than carrying
    out the orders of the DAA, where there is another 12 people running the show, (13 if you include Brian O'Connell) yes, he's on both Authorities, might just be a conflict of interest there.

Or maybe it should be given to the minster for transport, if there's a possibility that he gives a rat's ass, what happens to Shannon Airport...

Let's face it, there is no-one (with any clout), that's standing in Shannon's corner, without a powerful knight in shining amour, we are so screwed...

Unless, maybe Michael O'Leary?, sorry, not intended as a sick joke, but that's what it will take, a hard headed businessman with a vested interest in the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm sorry but I wont be signing it, call me negetive or whatever, but

The DAA dont give a hoot about Shannon. A petition is only going to make them laugh long at hard.

Shannon does not need to be encouraging Ryanair either- they have taken the airport for a ride and now left it with very little, they need to be gotten rid of. O' Leary doesnt do sentiment, thats pretty obvious. So hence he wont care either about a petition.

Comparing Shannon with Beauvais is also an unfair comparision. Talking about two very very different markets completely. While you talk about them generating 600 million after "Ryanair traffic"- the same could be generated from having any other airline fly out of Shannon.

What exactly is this the petition aiming to do? Asking O' Leary to come back and manifest rack and ruin again? A plea to other commercial airlines?

While I know jobs are at risk and lots of money to the economy etc, the damage has been done at this stage. If you feel it would do something work away with this etc but anyway thats just my 2c.

• Advertisement

Im not signing it either.

Shame on you!!! :(:mad::eek:

No Mike.......... shame on Timmy Dooley,killeen,etc who have allowed this to happen...... then again,the People of Clare voted for these people so we are reaping what we sow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dose anyone know where they keep the switch at this airport? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭golfball37

Isn't Ray Gray the Director of Finance for the DAA? Why is he on the SAA board?

What a joke of a country we live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I am more than willing to run with this in a more proactive way with help.

I'm with you there Kilburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shannonman50

As somebody who has lived in Shannon for over 50 years, I think that it is a disgrace what is happening to our airport. Shannon has traditionally been "top heavy" with fat cats who down through the years miked the system. Now that the majority of them have gone, they have been replaced with another lot of "fat cats" called the DAA.
    Shannon needs to be free from the clutched of the DAA, it also needs to get rid of Ryanair so that another low cost carrier might take up the routes vacated by them. I don't think that this will happen while Mr. Ruthless O Leary has a presence at Shannon.
    All of our local politians need a good bollicking when they come to our doors next time round.
    It is a thundering discrace that airports such as Kerry are allowed to operate passenger jet aircraft at the expense of Shannon. I recently flew from Kerry and never again...it is nothing but a shack....
    As far as I can tell, the country stops at Newlands Cross.
    Whatever Dublin want's Dublin gets and this will not change until Shannon breaks free from the DAA and until we get young proactive people into management in Shannon and market the airport properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The DAA are running it into the ground alright. A ton of the flights are going to Kerry airport because they don't have any bull**** charges. If they got rid of those you'd see things bounce back a little bit. At least the war in Iraq doesn't seem to be slowing down. 50k troops over there will keep the place ticking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shannonman50

Let's not forget that the stupid travel tax applies to all airports in this country. The biggest difference is that the regional airports such as Kerry are subsidised by the government /EU.
    This island is too small for all the airports that we have. Airports other than Dublin, Cork & Shannon should not be only used for light aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As somebody who has lived in Shannon for over 50 years, I think that it is a disgrace what is happening to our airport. Shannon has traditionally been "top heavy" with fat cats who down through the years miked the system. Now that the majority of them have gone, they have been replaced with another lot of "fat cats" called the DAA.
    Shannon needs to be free from the clutched of the DAA, it also needs to get rid of Ryanair so that another low cost carrier might take up the routes vacated by them. I don't think that this will happen while Mr. Ruthless O Leary has a presence at Shannon.
    All of our local politians need a good bollicking when they come to our doors next time round.
    It is a thundering discrace that airports such as Kerry are allowed to operate passenger jet aircraft at the expense of Shannon. I recently flew from Kerry and never again...it is nothing but a shack....
    As far as I can tell, the country stops at Newlands Cross.
    Whatever Dublin want's Dublin gets and this will not change until Shannon breaks free from the DAA and until we get young proactive people into management in Shannon and market the airport properly.

Like it or not, but you cannot ignore Ryanair and run an airport these days unless you are running a major hub like Heathrow, Paris or Frankfurt (the proper ones).
    And Shannon is not even close to that category, so what you're left with is Ryanair or you're running an airfield that is a lawn full of Cessnas.
    I know the management in Shannon don't want to deal with Ryanair because they actaully have to get off their asses and work and produce results.
    But this is the way of things now, the glory days of being in a state job in the 70's and 80's and being paid vast sums of money for little or no work are over.
    It is simply a prestige thing to run an airport like Shannon and thinking how great it is, when in reality all they where doing for 30 years is make money of the cursed forced stopover.
    The only way to save Shannon is to get a party into government that is sympathetic to the airport, forcefully break up the link between the DAA and Shannon, fire everyone in the DAA and the SAA for good measure and recruit good people who actually have some credentials not only in the airline and tourism industry, but busniness as well.
    Business these days is sink or swim, money talks, etc...
    I did sign the petition, of course, since I think that Sannon is vital for the region, but sadly the powers that be want everything for Dublin and we are sadly expendable.
    Would you not kill off your own competition in business if you where handed the opportunity?
    The DAA would be crazy not to.
    Only other way:
    Go to the European Court and sue the DAA over anti-competitive practices.

Advertisement