Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadows of the Damned. New Mikami/Suda 51 game

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Very annoying trophies in the game. You must complete it three times, on easy, normal and hard, as it doesn't give you trophies for any difficulty below the one you've completed.
    Maxing out your upgrades (collecting all available red gems trophy) is not possible by simply playing the game through, you either have to use a glitch in the game or spend an upsetting amount of time (or an insane amount of time on hard) farming white gems in a small number of sections of that game that respawn enemies.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

bugs wrote: »
    Very annoying trophies in the game. You must complete it three times, on easy, normal and hard, as it doesn't give you trophies for any difficulty below the one you've completed.
    Maxing out your upgrades (collecting all available red gems trophy) is not possible by simply playing the game through, you either have to use a glitch in the game or spend an upsetting amount of time (or an insane amount of time on hard) farming white gems in a small number of sections of that game that respawn enemies.

I@d imagine they will patch in a new game+ - Can't believe they overlooked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It could be Suda ripping the piss to be perfectly honest. The man has been known to punish players who wanted an easy ride. He has a very unique sense of humour when it comes to these things. Even the five headshots in a row achievement is infuriatingly impercise.

Not much further, but still enjoying it. Bosses are great fun, even if easy and overreliant on red weak points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

It could be Suda ripping the piss to be perfectly honest. The man has been known to punish players who wanted an easy ride. He has a very unique sense of humour when it comes to these things. Even the five headshots in a row achievement is infuriatingly impercise.

Not much further, but still enjoying it. Bosses are great fun, even if easy and overreliant on red weak points.

Dial back the aiming sensitivity, you'll get the five headshots in the row in the intro in garcia's apartment, its easy enough.
    Very much doubt the trophy was intentionally broken, as the game itself is a cake walk, so adding a requirement that doesn't make it harder, just more annoying, makes no sense (then again....).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dial back the aiming sensitivity, you'll get the five headshots in the row in the intro in garcia's apartment, its easy enough.
    Very much doubt the trophy was intentionally broken, as the game itself is a cake walk, so adding a requirement that doesn't make it harder, just more annoying, makes no sense (then again....).

Play No More Heroes, and apparently Flower Sun... is even worse. The man loves pissing you off with time consuming menial tasks :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I hate when games do that , either make the achievements for difficulty stack or don't put them in. 99% of the time when you play a game on easy it lacks any sort of challenge and becomes boring quickly.

Finished it last night. It's a deeply flawed game, but one I definitely enjoyed at the same time. The combat is the weirdest of all - at times, the absurd destructive force of the Dentist was giddy fun altogether, while often times the Skullblaster just felt spectacularly ineffectual and inaccurate. I liked the bosses for the most part mainly in terms of scale, but honestly barely any of them provide a major challenge and it's all just shoot the red weakpoint - at least the delivery is inventive. It's fun, and often a compelling mix of Resi Evil and Dead Space, but overall a mixed bag.

Writing and storytelling were also a wee bit all over the place. I'll admit I got a laugh out of the levels parodying
    Evil Dead and Ghostbusters
    , but there was always a dodgy penis joke for every moment of genuine wit. Although the.. ahem... ballsiness of the Red Light District section was endearingly mental, even if the cannon gameplay was a bit inexact. Ending was bizarre altogether though.

The one pretty endearing success was the art and character design. It's a compellingly visceral view of hell with tongue in cheek. The merchant, surrounded by neon blue flowers, is brilliantly ghastly design - I'll be honest I shivered a little everytime he made his horrific appearances and started vomiting out red gems.

It's a shall we say 'colourful' game all in all. Immature, but admirable in its insistence to surprise and shock the audience (although it's weird for a game that occasionally uses the 'cword' any sexualised obscenities are instantly beeped). I honestly thought the running time was grand at under eight hours - any longer and I could certainly see myself getting bored. Also enjoyed the second last act for breaking the repetition with some imperfect but still welcome pacebreakers. It's a rambling mess from two clear visionaries, but not the masterpiece it could have been. Oh well, at least it's totally mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Heard it has been a complete flop, sales-wise, as has Child of Eden. [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Was always going to happen, kids these days only buy games of certain franchises unfortunately.

I'll still get it next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Oh well, at least it's totally mental.

That's me sold! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Game gets a bit boring from the half way point on (after a very storng start), overall its good but i had just finished the very polished, very enjoyable F3AR so all the faults were magnified. Maybe if i wasn't under so much pressure to get it finished i would have enjoyed it more but thats life.

Game sales for these kinds of games will be low, the only way to sell big in the first 2 weeks is to spend a fortune on hyping the game up ala Homefront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Im on halfway through act 3 and i have to agree with grumpypants the intro was very well done but im starting to feel the game being dragged on abit , so far 7/10 from me

Ok i take back what i said this game is so awesome

Just finished it their , absolute joy the game was , loved every minute of it 8.5/10 from me loses marks from not having no challenge modes or new game plus .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i love the title screen where the zombie leaps up to try and catch the bird on the tree branch, cracks me up every time! :)

i loved the game, i can understand the bad reviews, some of the humour was terrible but you have to just go with it sometimes!

if anyone is interested in buying the game, i have it on adverts for 30€, lookie here.....
    http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/shadows-of-the-damned-xbox-360/712541

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GT_Dublin

Anyone seen this new for around €20 in Dublin?

Cheapest I can find it is about €30. I want to pick it up but the budget is very tight at the minute.

Even online it's still kind of expensive. I'm worried the game is going to disappear sooner rather than later and the price will go up rather than down.

SOrry to dig this up but picked it up for all of €5 at the weekend :)

In essence it's an average 3rd person shooter, but the script, voice acting, music and humour raise it to a well above average game!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

calex71 wrote: »
    SOrry to dig this up but picked it up for all of €5 at the weekend :)

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Also got this in Gamestop for €12 last week, first copy I have seen for sale in any shop for the 360 since it was released. Wacked it on for a bit last night.
    Have been waiting to get it since release at a low price, due to the bad reviews.

LOVE IT! Dont understand the bad reviews at all, its so over the top/cheesy script.
    More tonight!

Anyone think there will be a sequal? Or have EA forgotten about it already?

Where?

XtraVision, but it was used and had no cover hence the cheapness.
    Anyone think there will be a sequal? Or have EA forgotten about it already?

Love to see a follow up !!!! Finished it tonight and while it trailed off a little towards the end it was over all 10 times better than many of the games i've played recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Also sorry to resurrect but just picked this up for €5 and was surprised to see such a tiny thread. For a fiver I can't complain, I got Alien Isolation for the same price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's kind of not that great.

There's some really funny moments but there's also some really juvenile ones and the gameplay is like crappy Resi 4.... like Resi 6 :P

Advertisement