Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Improving

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Best of luck. With a 1.37 half you'll be well fit for 3.45 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Thanks Lads. Looking forward to it. Could be my last marathon for a while...may make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

How'd it go?

Only getting back to work today after couple of weeks off. Haven’t had a chance to update as only access boards from work. Anyway have sketched a few lines of a report below.

Florence Marathon 2012

Backround

Anyway, just a brief back round as to where this running lark started for me. Started running approx 2.5 – 3 years ago. Previous to that had not done any exercise in approx 18 years. Lots of drinking, some smoking and rubbish diet. In 2010, ran 3 times per week (15- 20 miles pw). 2011 increased this to 4 times per week (20 – 25 miles pw). Used Hal Hidgon Novice 1 Plan to complete DCM 11. That was my only marathon to date. Completed it in 4.13.07. Was with 4 hour pacers until mile 17, then hit wall big time and lost loads of time over last 8 miles. Was in mcgrattan’s afterwards, seen a few boardsies but felt a bit of a fraud and wasn’t happy with my performance.
    This year had increased training to 5 times per week. Had improved all my times a little across all distances. Had completed half marathon in Athlone in 1.37.54. Used Hal Hidgon Intermediate Plan 1 for this marathon
    At the start of the year my plan was to complete a marathon in Sub 4, this changed to sub 3.45 and after Athlone half marathon, was sub 3.40…..
    Decided to enter Amsterdam marathon in October, got injured, change of plan and picked Florence. Tied it in with a week’s holiday with herself.

Pre Race

Flew over to Florence on the Friday through Frankfurt. Was on the same flight as John Treacy and about 15 other’s who were running the Great Ethopian Run that weekend.
    Attended the Expo in Florence on Saturday. Tried not to spend too much time walking on Saturday, went out to Italian restaurant on Saturday night to carb up. Up early on Sunday morning and down to the start line. Went into the pen about 45 minutes before then start and done a bit of a warm up. Plan was to run at 3.35 – 3.40 pace and hold for as long as possible.

Race

Before the race, between all the moving of runner’s going to the front to get better positioning, I found myself ahead of the 3.30 pacers.

0 – 5 Miles

Started up a little to far up the field. Was about 200 meters ahead of 3.30 pacers for the first mile. Dying for a leak so pulled into a ditch with a couple of other runners at mile 1 (too much water drank & too long stuck in the pen before start of race). Anyway, lost approx 20 seconds and when I rejoined I was level with 3.30 pacers. Stayed with them for another mile, then decided to let them slowly drift on. I was happy to be running at 8.10 pace. Lots of people passing me in the first couple of miles. Took some water at mile 3, entered a big park area around mile 4 and we would spend the next 6 miles or so running there. Passed through 5km mark at 26.17. Happy enough with this.

5 – 10 Miles

Took my first gel at mile 6 and another drink of water. Had to go for another leak at mile 8 in the park. Was a little concerned at this stage (2 trips to the toilet in first 8 miles). Drank a lot of water the day before. Thankfully this was the last time it was needed. Again between 5 – 10 km mark, another couple of hundred people passed me. Passed through 10km mark at 51.47 (25.29 for second 5KM). Took more water at mile 9.Left the park at approx 9 mile marker and back onto the suburbs of the city.

10 – 15 Miles

Took my second gel at mile 11. Not too many people passing me at this stage and seemed to be holding my position. Still keeping an average of 8.10 pace on the garmin. Wasn’t finding it overly difficult but could slightly feel it. Water at mile 12. Passed through 15km mark at 1.17.42 (25.55 for this 5KM). At mile 13 we crossed the Ponte Nicollo, where my wife was waiting. This was just before half way mark and was only approx 2 minute walk from the start line. Gave her a high five running past, can’t say I was feeling brilliant or anything. Couple of moments later passed half way mark at 1.49.02 (3.38 pace). My target of sub 3.40 was still on but I had hoped I’d be feeling a little better.

15 – 20 Miles

Reached 25KM at 2.09.08. My last 2 5kms were averaging approx (25.30) so I was still keeping the same pace as I started off with. Took third an d fourth gels at miles 16 & 19. Was drinking water at all water stations and took sponges at miles 14 & 17.From miles 16 – 20 I passed loads of runners (must have been approx 200 – 300). Lots of people stopping, walking, slowly shuffling along. Reached 30K at 2.35.03 (25.55 for that 5KM). Still holding pace and happy enough.

20 – 26 Miles

Passed my wife at mile 21. Again this area was located very close to start/finish and half way mark. This was good idea as it enabled supporters to see the runners whilst on numerous occasions without having to walk very far. I was feeling ok at this point, having continued to pass lots of people and my pace was still pretty ok. From about mile 22 onwards though, things started to change. Passed 35KM mark at 3.02.16 (27.12 for 5KM). I had slowed slightly here and this 5km was approx 1 minute slower than all previous splits and was a sign of what was coming. Struggled through mile 22, then at mile 23 got a terrible cramp in my right hamstring. Thought about stopping to stretch or walk it off, but decided to keep running and slow down. Tried to run without bending my right leg very much. My leg was fairly straight and probably looked like I was running fairly awkwardly, but I didn’t care. Luckily after about 5 minutes, the cramp disappeared. I looked at my garmin with about three miles left and it read 3.14. XX. I thought if I was able to run three 8.30 miles I’d get sub 3.40 but I knew I was suffering now. For the last three miles I ran about 9.30 miles. We ran majority of these miles through the cobblestones of the historic centre. I found these cobbles very hard on the tiring limbs. At 40KM I was 3.30.42 (28.25 for last KM), 2.30 minutes slower than I was running these splits earlier on. Now it was about survival, getting to the finish without stopping (something I couldn’t do in DCM 11). Last 1 mile seemed to go on for ages. Coming up to the finish line, spotted the wife. Grabbed the tricolour from her, put it around the shoulders and ran up the finishing straight outside the historic Plaza Croce. Crossed the line in 3.43.35. Happy enough with this result. 30 minute PB on my previous marathon. Slightly disappointed I didn’t get sub 3.40 as I was on target up to last three miles. But gives me something to work on.

Anyway, enjoyed the rest of the week in Florence. For lovers of Art, Sculpture, Food, Fashion, it has it all. No more running in Florence, however, must have walked about 5 /6 hours every day visiting museums etc….

• Advertisement

Monday 03/12/12

3.00 - 29.04 - (9.42) - Very Easy

First run back after marathon. Found it ok, legs not too bad. Working through a four week post marathon recovery plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

PDCAT wrote: »
    Only getting back to work today after couple of weeks off. Haven’t had a chance to update as only access boards from work. Anyway have sketched a few lines of a report below.

Florence Marathon 2012

Backround

Anyway, just a brief back round as to where this running lark started for me. Started running approx 2.5 – 3 years ago. Previous to that had not done any exercise in approx 18 years. Lots of drinking, some smoking and rubbish diet. In 2010, ran 3 times per week (15- 20 miles pw). 2011 increased this to 4 times per week (20 – 25 miles pw). Used Hal Hidgon Novice 1 Plan to complete DCM 11. That was my only marathon to date. Completed it in 4.13.07. Was with 4 hour pacers until mile 17, then hit wall big time and lost loads of time over last 8 miles. Was in mcgrattan’s afterwards, seen a few boardsies but felt a bit of a fraud and wasn’t happy with my performance.
    This year had increased training to 5 times per week. Had improved all my times a little across all distances. Had completed half marathon in Athlone in 1.37.54. Used Hal Hidgon Intermediate Plan 1 for this marathon
    At the start of the year my plan was to complete a marathon in Sub 4, this changed to sub 3.45 and after Athlone half marathon, was sub 3.40…..
    Decided to enter Amsterdam marathon in October, got injured, change of plan and picked Florence. Tied it in with a week’s holiday with herself.

Pre Race

Flew over to Florence on the Friday through Frankfurt. Was on the same flight as John Treacy and about 15 other’s who were running the Great Ethopian Run that weekend.
    Attended the Expo in Florence on Saturday. Tried not to spend too much time walking on Saturday, went out to Italian restaurant on Saturday night to carb up. Up early on Sunday morning and down to the start line. Went into the pen about 45 minutes before then start and done a bit of a warm up. Plan was to run at 3.35 – 3.40 pace and hold for as long as possible.

Race

Before the race, between all the moving of runner’s going to the front to get better positioning, I found myself ahead of the 3.30 pacers.

0 – 5 Miles

Started up a little to far up the field. Was about 200 meters ahead of 3.30 pacers for the first mile. Dying for a leak so pulled into a ditch with a couple of other runners at mile 1 (too much water drank & too long stuck in the pen before start of race). Anyway, lost approx 20 seconds and when I rejoined I was level with 3.30 pacers. Stayed with them for another mile, then decided to let them slowly drift on. I was happy to be running at 8.10 pace. Lots of people passing me in the first couple of miles. Took some water at mile 3, entered a big park area around mile 4 and we would spend the next 6 miles or so running there. Passed through 5km mark at 26.17. Happy enough with this.

5 – 10 Miles

Took my first gel at mile 6 and another drink of water. Had to go for another leak at mile 8 in the park. Was a little concerned at this stage (2 trips to the toilet in first 8 miles). Drank a lot of water the day before. Thankfully this was the last time it was needed. Again between 5 – 10 km mark, another couple of hundred people passed me. Passed through 10km mark at 51.47 (25.29 for second 5KM). Took more water at mile 9.Left the park at approx 9 mile marker and back onto the suburbs of the city.

10 – 15 Miles

Took my second gel at mile 11. Not too many people passing me at this stage and seemed to be holding my position. Still keeping an average of 8.10 pace on the garmin. Wasn’t finding it overly difficult but could slightly feel it. Water at mile 12. Passed through 15km mark at 1.17.42 (25.55 for this 5KM). At mile 13 we crossed the Ponte Nicollo, where my wife was waiting. This was just before half way mark and was only approx 2 minute walk from the start line. Gave her a high five running past, can’t say I was feeling brilliant or anything. Couple of moments later passed half way mark at 1.49.02 (3.38 pace). My target of sub 3.40 was still on but I had hoped I’d be feeling a little better.

15 – 20 Miles

Reached 25KM at 2.09.08. My last 2 5kms were averaging approx (25.30) so I was still keeping the same pace as I started off with. Took third an d fourth gels at miles 16 & 19. Was drinking water at all water stations and took sponges at miles 14 & 17.From miles 16 – 20 I passed loads of runners (must have been approx 200 – 300). Lots of people stopping, walking, slowly shuffling along. Reached 30K at 2.35.03 (25.55 for that 5KM). Still holding pace and happy enough.

20 – 26 Miles

Passed my wife at mile 21. Again this area was located very close to start/finish and half way mark. This was good idea as it enabled supporters to see the runners whilst on numerous occasions without having to walk very far. I was feeling ok at this point, having continued to pass lots of people and my pace was still pretty ok. From about mile 22 onwards though, things started to change. Passed 35KM mark at 3.02.16 (27.12 for 5KM). I had slowed slightly here and this 5km was approx 1 minute slower than all previous splits and was a sign of what was coming. Struggled through mile 22, then at mile 23 got a terrible cramp in my right hamstring. Thought about stopping to stretch or walk it off, but decided to keep running and slow down. Tried to run without bending my right leg very much. My leg was fairly straight and probably looked like I was running fairly awkwardly, but I didn’t care. Luckily after about 5 minutes, the cramp disappeared. I looked at my garmin with about three miles left and it read 3.14. XX. I thought if I was able to run three 8.30 miles I’d get sub 3.40 but I knew I was suffering now. For the last three miles I ran about 9.30 miles. We ran majority of these miles through the cobblestones of the historic centre. I found these cobbles very hard on the tiring limbs. At 40KM I was 3.30.42 (28.25 for last KM), 2.30 minutes slower than I was running these splits earlier on. Now it was about survival, getting to the finish without stopping (something I couldn’t do in DCM 11). Last 1 mile seemed to go on for ages. Coming up to the finish line, spotted the wife. Grabbed the tricolour from her, put it around the shoulders and ran up the finishing straight outside the historic Plaza Croce. Crossed the line in 3.43.35. Happy enough with this result. 30 minute PB on my previous marathon. Slightly disappointed I didn’t get sub 3.40 as I was on target up to last three miles. But gives me something to work on.

Anyway, enjoyed the rest of the week in Florence. For lovers of Art, Sculpture, Food, Fashion, it has it all. No more running in Florence, however, must have walked about 5 /6 hours every day visiting museums etc….

Well done pdcat, great running especially given ur recent injury problems. Been following ur thread with a while as similar profile ......started running this year after 10 years of nothing since I packed up gaa. Similar bad habits with the drink and the few smokes! Ran first dcm last month in 4.15 so hoping to do sub 4 next time. Will be analysing ur log again as interesting your one of the few I see using the Hal Hig inter plan. Taking 30 mins off ur last marathon time is some improvement but in fairness it seems ur training is consistent and ur shoter distances are impressive. Never easy for a rebel to acknowledge black and amber success but well done again!

tomred1N wrote: »
    Well done pdcat, great running especially given ur recent injury problems. Been following ur thread with a while as similar profile ......started running this year after 10 years of nothing since I packed up gaa. Similar bad habits with the drink and the few smokes! Ran first dcm last month in 4.15 so hoping to do sub 4 next time. Will be analysing ur log again as interesting your one of the few I see using the Hal Hig inter plan. Taking 30 mins off ur last marathon time is some improvement but in fairness it seems ur training is consistent and ur shoter distances are impressive. Never easy for a rebel to acknowledge black and amber success but well done again!

Thanks tomred1N. Yeah, last year's DCM was a harsh lesson learned. I thought by running 4 times a week with mileage of peaking at 40 miles per week, that i would run sub 4. How wrong i was?
    If i've learned anything is that i need to increase my mileage and my pace's to see improvements. Also what i've read from others on boards is about consistency of running. Except for injuries i make sure to run every week. I find by printing up a plan and sticking it on wall at home, it forces me to go out each time. Also i look to run approx 1 race every 6/8 weeks. It gives me a goal to aim for.
    Used Hal Hidgoin Intermediate Plan 1 for this marathon. It meant i increased by running to 5 days per week. Big differences was i was running a MP run of 5 - 8 miles on Saturday's and LSR's were slightly longer than the Novice Plan.

Having finished Florence, i can see straight away that my stamina is still a big issue for me. All my times for shorter distances seem much stronger than my marathon times. For example 5k - 20.32, 5 Mile - 35.16, Half - 1.37.54. My marathon times always seem to be much slower in comparison. A few people whom ran the half with me in 1.40's (slower than me) completed DCM this year in 3.30's.

Think when i run another marathon, i might use Hal Hidgon Intermediate 2. Will incorporate a 22 mile run and two 20 mile run's. Will keep running MP run's on Saturday's. And will incorporate more speedwork during the week.

Congrats on your DCM performance. 4.15 in your first year is better than what i could manage. It took me 18 months of running to get to complete a marathon. I would say the consistency of running, good mileage and some speedwork have been the three biggest reasons for improvement's i've seen this year. Trying to balance this without getting injured has been the hardest thing for me to achieve.

Wednesday 05/12/12

3 X 1Mile Repeats.

Working off Hal Hidgon post Marathon recovery plan (Intermediate).

This i the first week and it called for 3 X 1M repeats at MP, with 4 minutes slow jog in between reps.

Completed these on the road this morning. Roads very slippy and could feel the feet sliding a bit. Anyway no issues, legs in good shape.

Mile 1 - 8.19
    Slow Jog - 4 Mins
    Mile 2 - 8.23
    Slow Jog - 4 Mins
    Mile 3 - 8.21

Plan for tomorrow is 3 mile Easy.

Thursday 06/12/12

3.00 - 26.07 - (8.42) - Easy

Have changed my pace's since the marathon. Using Mcmillan recommendations based on my marathon time in Florence and half marathon time in Athlone. Their's good bit of difference in his recommend pace's depending on which time i use. Have decided to split the difference. I found running at this pace not as easy as it was supposed to. Putting this down to the fact that only home from work at 3.30am this week and up running at 10am. Legs seem to be tired.
    Hopefully, by running between 8.45 - 8.50 pace for easy run's over next couple of weeks, the legs will get used to it.

• Advertisement

Friday 07/12/12

4 Mile Tempo

Plan called for 1 mile easy, 2 mile Tempo (MP), 1 mile easy.

Mile 1 - 9.18
    Mile 2 - 3 - 8.24
    Mile 4 - 9.03

First two miles were the hardest as the legs are heavy these mornings due to late night finishes at work. Last two miles, felt good.

Monday 10/12/12

4.00 - 38.32 - (9.36) - Recovery

Missed Sunday's run due to laziness, drink & other life stuff (busy weekend). Decided against going down to GAA Pitch to run in the dark, so went into to Fit4Life training session. First time i have been in there since May. Just my luck, session was cancelled due to icy patches on the track. Decided whilst in there to do a 4 mile run on the ring road around the city. Ran it at a slow pace. Due to run 3 miler at 10k pace tonight. Not sure where to do this (GAA Pitch inthe dark or icy roads again in ring road). Not sure either is a good choice to be doing a fast session.

Wednesday 12/12/12

3 X 1Mile Repeats.

Plan called for 3 X 1M repeats at 10k pace, with 4 minutes slow jog in between reps.

Completed these on the road in the afternoon.

Mile 1 - 7.22
    Slow Jog - 4 Mins
    Mile 2 - 7.18
    Slow Jog - 4 Mins
    Mile 3 - 7.17

Plan for today is 4 mile Easy. Not sure whether i'll go into Fit4Life and do some speedwork instead. Will decide later on.

Thursday 13/12/12

4.00 - 34.41 - (8.39) - Easy

Little bit faster than i would have liked. However, went ok. Late for Fit4life training so just jogged by myself on the ring road.

Saturday 15/12/12

4 Mile Tempo

Plan called for 1 mile easy, 2 mile Tempo (MP), 1 mile easy.

Mile 1 - 9.10
    Mile 2/3 - 8.18
    Mile 4 - 8.58

Drove up to Amphibian King in Ballymount to get a new pair of runners. Bought another Saucovny Triumph. Also went into My Home Fitness.ie store beside Red Cow to look at Treadmills.

Sunday 16/12/12

8.00 - 1.11.28 - (8.56) - LSR

8 miles constitutes an LSR at the moment. Little faster than planned. Need to slow down a little.

Monday 17/12/12

5.00 - 48.06 - (9.37) - Recovery

Nice and handy this morning. Enjoyable run, under no pressure.

Tuesday 18/12/12

3 X 1Mile Repeats.

Plan called for 3 X 1M repeats at 5k pace, with 4 minutes slow jog/Walk in between reps. Dreading this as it's so long since i ran at this pace. And hardly ever do speed session on the road.

Mile 1 - 6.41
    Walk - 4 Mins
    Mile 2 - 6.42
    Walk - 4 Mins
    Mile 3 - 6.40

Fairly consistent times for each rep. First one was the toughest and lungs were feeling the pace. Decided to walk between each rep as legs were feeling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

PDCAT wrote: »
    Tuesday 18/12/12

3 X 1Mile Repeats.

Plan called for 3 X 1M repeats at 5k pace, with 4 minutes slow jog/Walk in between reps. Dreading this as it's so long since i ran at this pace. And hardly ever do speed session on the road.

Mile 1 - 6.41
    Walk - 4 Mins
    Mile 2 - 6.42
    Walk - 4 Mins
    Mile 3 - 6.40

Fairly consistent times for each rep. First one was the toughest and lungs were feeling the pace. Decided to walk between each rep as legs were feeling it.

Id try keep the same pace for the next session of this and try reduce the recovery time.I always find the first rep the toughest especially if you havn't done anything like this in a while.

How did the treadmill hunting go?

Id try keep the same pace for the next session of this and try reduce the recovery time.I always find the first rep the toughest especially if you havn't done anything like this in a while.

How did the treadmill hunting go?

Yeah, good idea for me to reduce recovery time. Definitely plan to do this.

Treadmills - Had a look in the place beside Red Cow on Saturday. Was looking at two Body Image models (cant remember names of models).
    Both looked pretty good. Ran on both for about 3/4 minutes. Both priced at 1,850 euro (bit more than i was thinking of paying). Also Elverys have a NordicTrack t14 for about 1,499.
    I'm having problems choosing as my concern is with regard to after sales service if their is an problem with them. From what i've read, it can be difficult to get someone out to fix, when issues arise.
    Have until February before i really need one. Treadmills will get alot of use next year as my wife also runs. She's expecting twins in late February and both of us will probably be using treadmill instead of going on road for a while.
    Need to do a bit of reading over the next few weeks and then make a decision.

Overall happy enough with how the past 12 months have gone.
    Reached most of my targets that i set out at the beginning of the year.

Highlights (In no particular order)

1. EL Teide - Hiking up EL Teide (Highest mountain in Spain). Nine hour trek. Something i've wanted to do for a couple of years.

2. Florence Marathon - Complete a sub 4 hour foreign marathon.

3. Connemara Half Marathon - Brilliant day, brilliant atmosphere and a PB by 5 minutes. Doesn't get any better than this race.

4. Hiking Carrauntwohill, Benekerragh & 6 other Mountain Peaks in one day in April. Possibly the toughest day i've had this year, but worth it.

Goals for 212 -

5K - Sub 21.00 - 20.32 (Portlaoise 17/03/12) - Achieved

4 Mile - Sub 28.00 - 27.56 (Tinryland 25/08/12) - Achieved

5 Mile - Sub 36.00 - 35.16 (Rock GAA 29/04/12) - Achieved

10K - Sub 45.00 - 47.04 - (Heart of Laois 27/05/12) Not Achieved:mad:

10 Mile - Sub 1.16.00 - 1.16.43 (Dungarvan 29/01/12) Not Achieved:mad:

Half Marathon - Sub 1.43.00 - 1.37.54 (Athlone 15/09/12) Achieved

Full Marathon - Sub 4.00.00 - 3.43.35 (Florence 25/11/12) Achieved

El Teide (Spain) - (May 2012) Acheived

Have to work out a set of targets for 2013. With two babies on the way, not sure how agressive these will be. Main target maybe just to keep fit and get in as much as i can. Will set a list of goals later in the week.

Thursday 20/12/12

5.00 - 43.51 - (8.46) - Easy

Enjoyed this run. Used a route with a dog of a hill (about 3/4 mile long). Very steep, and takes abit out of the body.

• Advertisement

Update on runs over Xmas. As per usual done the dog on drinking and smoking over the xmas. Got some run's in as well, nothing major, but tried to keep fitness levels up.

Saturday 22/12/12

5 Mile Tempo

Plan called for 1 mile easy, 3 mile Tempo (MP), 1 mile easy.

Mile 1 - 9.10
    Mile 2/3/4 - 8.24
    Mile 5 - 9.06

Sunday 23/12/12

10.00 - 1.29.50 - (8.58) - LSR

Monday 24/12/12

5.00 - 47.32 - (9.30) - Recovery

Wednesday 26/12/12

St Stephen's day Charity Walk = 5 miles approx

Saturday 29/12/12

5.00 - 45.37 - (9.07) - Easy

Sunday 30/12/12

Cullahill 5K Road Run

Decided to to this 5k road run as i only live 5 minutes away. Wasn't in the best of form due to overindulgence over the christmas. Hadn't ran a 5k since March. PB was 20.32 and was hoping to run close to that. Didn't think i was in any shape to do better. Run didn't go great, found it tough. Due to my lack of speedwork in the last 9 months, legs were found out.
    Also the route was hilly, definitely lost quiet a few seconds here and i wasn't the only one. Finished the run in 21.24 (52 seconds slower than PB in March), but i can put the majority of that to the hilly route. On a flat route, think i'd have came close to the PB.

Have decided not to train for marathon next year. With twin babies on the way end of February, it would be just too hard. So i've torn up my training plan for the next couple of months. I have to sit down now and try to get a plan together to bring me to the due date. Will probably plan a 5 day week training with 2 speed sessions, one LSR and couple of easy runs.

When baba's arrive end of Feb, any plan's out the window.

Saturday 05/01/13

5.00 - 44.50 - (8.58) - Easy

First run of the New Year. Slow to get going. Decided to run this by 'feel'. Mcmillan has set my training pace at 8.40 - 8.45 for Easy Pace based on my race times. Ran this pace a couple of times in December and can't say i found it that easy. Wanted to run this easy without looking at Garmin to see what my easy pace is.

Sunday 06/01/13

10.00 - 1.32.22 - (9.14) - LSR

Again ran this by feel. Trying to run at a slow pace to see what pace to run my LSR's for next couple of months. Mcmillan has my LSR pace at 8.50 - 8.55 which isn't a slow pace for me. Think i'll continue to run LSR's at 9.10 - 9.15 pace for the timebeing.

Stick with what's comfortable for a couple of weeks PDCAT and the paces will start coming down towards McMillan targets. I think we are all in the same boat coming back after the xmas, i.e. thinking all our fitness is gone, when in reality it's just hiding behind the extra lbs we've probably all put on!

belcarra wrote: »
    Stick with what's comfortable for a couple of weeks PDCAT and the paces will start coming down towards McMillan targets. I think we are all in the same boat coming back after the xmas, i.e. thinking all our fitness is gone, when in reality it's just hiding behind the extra lbs we've probably all put on!

Yeah, thanks Belcarra. Think that's what i'll do. I think the times for Easy and LSR pace will drop after a few weeks back.

Monday 06/01/13

Decided against running marathon this year due to arrival of twins end of Feb. Just can't guarantee that i'd have the time to give to training for one. Changed my Training Plan for next 8 weeks to concentrate more on speedwork than long run's.

Went into Fit4Life training on track last night. First time i've been in there since last May so a bit apprehensive.
    Ran six laps of track on my own before training.
    Then with group done 4 lap Warmup, followed by 4 X 200m reps, 6 X 100m reps and 4 lap cooldown. Stiff breeze one side of the track so 100m reps are abit skewed.

Total Distance = 7.2K

2.4K (9.11 minute per mile pace)

1.6K (8.09)

4 X 200m reps (39, 39, 35, 34) (200m walk in between reps).

6 X 100m reps (17, 16, 17, 15, 17, 15) (100m walk in between reps).

1.6K (8.06)

Probably a wise decision changing tack and going for the shorter stuff.
    I keep saying to myself that I should spend 6 months doing this kind of stuff but no sooner is the thought in my head and somehow I've sub-consciously registered for another marathon!!:rolleyes:

belcarra wrote: »
    Probably a wise decision changing tack and going for the shorter stuff.
    I keep saying to myself that I should spend 6 months doing this kind of stuff but no sooner is the thought in my head and somehow I've sub-consciously registered for another marathon!!:rolleyes:

Think it's probably for the best. After Florence, plan was to run Paris & Berlin this year. Was told off at home for even contemplating this. So decided i'd do Connemara instead (just a handy jog i said). Still was'nt feeling the love at home. So as i couldn't guarantee the training for last 6 weeks of marathon plan, decided to concentrate on shorter stuff. Have done little or no speedwork in the last 9 months so the practice will come in handy.

Wednesday 09/01/13

5.00 - 43.33 - (8.42) - Easy

On ring road around the city last night. Felt ok. Plan to go to Fit4life for some speework tonight.

Thursday 10/01/13

In with Fit4Life last night. Done 5 laps warm up by myself before training started. Then another 4 laps easy with the group. Then plan was to run 4 laps hard, one lap walk/jog and repeat this three times in total.

Total Distance = 9.0K

2K (8.59 minute per mile pace)

1.6K (8.36)

3 X 1.6K reps (6.17 pace, 6.11, 6.19) (400m walk/Jog in between reps).

Happy enough with the pace i managed to hold for these reps.

• Advertisement

Saturday 12/01/13

5.00 - 44.12 - (8.50) - Easy

Legs stiff/sore starting off due to Speework session on Thursday evening. First couple of miles pretty slow (9.11, 9.11). Legs loosened out and last three miles felt very good (8.30 pace).

Sunday 13/01/13

10.00 - 1.31.06 - (9.06) - LSR

Lovely early morning run in the frost down country roads.

Monday 14/01/13

5.00 - 47.50 - (9.33) - Recovery

Again legs stiff/sore starting off. Didn't feel great during this run. Very slow pace. Afterwards noticing a soreness in the left leg (shin area). Very like an injury i've had a couple of times before which has kept me out for couple of weeks. I need to watch this closely and take a few days off if it continues. Put Deep heat on this today. Should probably apply an ice pack to the leg tomorrow. Not due a run until Wednesday.

Advertisement