Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Improving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Thursday 24/05/12

5.00 = 43.37 - (8.43) - Easy

Only occasionally does a run feel perfect to me. Today was one of those days. Went out at 10.30am this morning in the basking sunshine. Went down to GAA Pitch and ran 5 miles at a quickish pace for me. Felt good and right leg gave no problems. That's two days in a row with no bother from the leg. Will leave the physio alone this week and see how it goes.

Next run is Heart of Laois 10k on Sunday. Current PB is 47.58 from two years ago. Start of year target was sub 45.00. Will probably start off targeting sub 44 and see where it takes me. Based on my recent race's sub 45 looks on but not sub 44.

Sunday 27/05/12

Heart of Laois 10K

Less said about this race the better. Absolute disaster for me. Wife said to me in the morning, we should be going to the beach not running in that heat.
    Anyway, i got my way (i'm sorry now i did) and off we went. PB is 47.58 (2 years old) and target was sub 45 maybe sub 44. (What a joke).

Plan was to run 4.23 per kilometer at 7.04 per mile pace. Started near the back of the field as i like to pass people in the first mile. First 4K's were fine, passed a lot of people pace was at 7.03 per mile pace and on target for 44minutes. Slowed in the 5th Kilometer and hit half way at 22.22. Knew then sub 44 was out the window and i was starting to struggle big time. Second half of this race was an absolute disaster, saw my pace slip from 7.03 minute per mile to 7.13, then out to 7.25. Was dieing in the heat, couldn't get shelter anyway on the route. Nobody was passing me so i knew others must be suffering as well.

A club runner i know (who ran 42.xx) last week was in front of me. He stopped to walk and i passed him. At about 8.5k came to a hill, decided to walk up this hill as my pace was so slow, that it was nearly as quick walking. Two guys passed me, going really slow. At top of the hill i started back running - last 1.5k went ok and towards the end i increased my pace, passed three runners coming towards the finish line.
    Finished in 46.53 by my watch but chip time is stating 47.04 PB.

Can't understand the difference in the Chip time and my watch time tbh.
    Doesn't really matter. Even though this was a PB of 54 seconds, it was a disaster for me. Felt rubbish the whole run, was'nt within an ass'es roar of sub 44/45.

Got back to my car and the temperature read 28 degrees. Hydrated well the day before and the morning of the race, but i seemed to be really affected by it. Other's too were struggling pretty badly. One girl had to be supported over the line and carried to the shade where she sat there for a prolonged period of time. An ambulance came, not sure if she was put into it or not. But she was in pretty bad shape....

Feel pretty pi**ed off all day. Think the heat may have affected my run. 20.32 (5k) and 35.16 (5 mile) shouldn't translate to a 47.00 10K. Think i can run in proper conditions a couple of minutes quicker than this. Plan is to do another 10k as soon as possible and try and get some confidence back. Sooner i put this rubbish effort behind me the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I wouldnt worry about it PDCAT your definately in 44/45 shape with those 5k and 5 mile times. We havent had this heat at all this year so a jump of over ten degrees and running at race pace is not a good combination for feeling good! Plenty of more races to be had in the next few weeks to put it right!

Thanks Bob. Yeah i'm looking to get a decent run in fairly soon, to try and put that behind me. Looking at Little South Run (4 Mile) and Pink Rock (10k), both early June. Might run 6 mile run as part of Kilkenny Road run series on Wednesday night.

Monday 28/05/12

5.14 = 56.12 - (10.56) - Recovery

Legs felt fairly sore after Sunday's run. Hopefully they'll be better for tonight.

Tuesday 29/05/12

6.27 = 54.56 - (8.46) - Easy

Wasn't sure how to approach this. Legs were very stiff/tender from Sunday. But wanted to run at a decent clip. Started off handy enough and just ran at whatever i found easy. Didn't look at the watch. After about three miles, legs felt better and i started to increase the pace for the final three. Happy enough with this. Might do 6 mile Kilkenny Road run series tonight. If i do, it will not be at full pelt, more tempo pace.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 30/05/12

Kilkenny Road Run Series - 6 Mile

Decided to to this tonight as after Sunday's race, wanted a bit of confidence back and to run a race without dying on my feet. Was about 19 degree's but unlike Sunday there was a nice cool breeze.
    Bout 150 people ran this. I started at the very back of the field.
    My PB for this distance was 45.41 ran last July. Target tonight was just to beat this, run the first half of the race relatively easy and push on in the second half. Most of all to enjoy the race.

As i started at the back of the field, the first 2 miles, i spent passing out loads of people. These two miles were slightly uphill and i took it fairly handy. Ran these two in 7.40 & 7.44. As i moved through the field, the gaps between runners widened. i spotted a few Female club runners a bit ahead whom i normally finish bout 1/2 minutes ahead of.

Decided to up the pace a little and try and catch them. Third mile was about 7.20. From here on, i more or last ran as best i could. Not sure what times the last three miles were, my average pace improved over these miles from 7.35 to 7.20 so must have been running them approx low 7 minute miles. On Mile 4 passed about eight people including the female club runners, pushed on as best i could and opened up a gap on those behind me. Didn't pass anyone after this. Closed up on about 5/6 runners in front over the last 2 miles but could not catch them.

Time by my Garmin was 43.54 PB - waiting on official results. PB by 1 minute 40+ seconds. Apart from first two miles, ran this as fast as i could. Could have ran faster for the first 2 miles, but probably would have paid for it afterwards. More importantly, enjoyed the race, well organised and good friendly atmosphere. Will try and do this road series next year.

Having run this race, am not confident of hitting sub 45 for the 10k. This was my target for the year, will have to improve a bit in order to achieve this.

Friday 01/06/12

7.00 = 1.06.10 - (9.27) - Easy

Supposed to run 8 - 10miler but due to late going to Cork for the weekend and repair man due to the house, only managed to get in 7 mile. Legs sore, but got through it ok.

Saturday 02/06/12

Down in West Cork - based in Bantry for the weekend. 6.30 Hours of hillwalking in terrible weather. Never stopped raining heavy all day and got soaked. Climbed Hungry Hill (682 meters) and finished at 7pm - it couldn't have come soon enough.

Sunday 03/06/12

In contrast to Saturday, this was really nice day, particularly the afternoon. Walked for 4/5 hours on Sheep's head, a lovely area of the country. Lot easier walking than saturday with no big mountains.

Monday 04/06/12

Decided to rest the legs on monday and no running.

3 mile walk - took it handly.

Tuesday 05/06/12

5.00 = 52.29 - (10.30) - Easy

Ran on GAA Pitch with the wife. Took it very easy. Both legs still sore - Talking during the whole run, made me forget about them.

Saturday 09/06/12

8.00 = 1.11.31 - (8.56) - LSR

Hadn't ran since Tuesday as my calves are really sore, aching alot. Think this is due to the fact that i raced two 10k's last week on them as well as four other runs and two long days hillwalking.
    Ran this 8mile on saturday, calves still sore. Was planning to run Little South 4 mile run on Sunday but decided against it.
    Not sure what to do now, starting marathon training next monday and want my legs in decent shape starting this.

Got wife to massage legs on saturday night. Bought some ice to have an ice bath, maybe tonight. Might do a 5mile recovery this evening. Not sure what to do tbh. Will decide when i get home from work.

Tuesday 12/06/12

3.71 = 35.03 - (9.27) - Easy

Hadn't ran since Saturday due to sore calves. Was concerned about how bad the legs were feeling with marathon training starting next week, so took a couple of days off. Took this very easy last night. Legs a lot better, still need to be careful. Had an ice bath on Monday night, seems to have helped. Will plan another very easy 3 milers today to keep ticking over.

Wednesday 13/06/12

3.70 = 35.02 - (9.28) - Easy

Found this tougher on the calves than Tuesday's run. May get something done with it this weekend. Definitely calves need a good massage.

• Advertisement

Friday 15/06/12

8.00 = 1.15.29 - (9.26) - LSR

Decided to run weekend LSR on friday night as i wanted to go to Physio on Saturday morning. Raining fairly heavy but actually liked this run. Calves felt a lot better. However, left calf now seems to have a niggle.

Saturday 16/06/12

Went to Physio, 2 hours in waiting room as he was fairly busy. Spent about 15 minutes with me, gave me a quick MOT.
    Went for a 3 mile walk later that evening to loosen up.

Monday 18/06/12

3.00 = 30.57 - (10.19) - Recovery

This was the start of my Marathon Training Plan (Hal Hidgon Intermediate 1). Ran this around GAA Pitch. Found it very easy except my left calf is still acting up. Need to keep a watch on this.

Friday 22/06/12

5.00 = 46.04 - (9.13) - Easy

Bit of a disaster since last Monday. Calf muscle on left leg was very sore after Monday's run. Rested the leg since then, had couple of hot baths and taken nurofen since Tuesday to help it improve.
    As it's first week of Marathon training, was anxious to get out today and do a few miles on it to see how it felt. Ran 5miles around GAA Pitch. Felt a niggle in the leg the whole way through, not really sore though. Continue taking the Nurofen for the next couple of days.
    Am planning 5 miles at (MP Pace) tomorrow morning and 8 miles LSR on Sunday morning. Will see if it continues to improve or gets worse. Not a great first week for marathon training.

Sunday 24/06/12

5.00 = 42.23 - (8.29) - MP

Leg started to flare up again after Friday's run, so off to the physio again at 7am Saturday morning. She worked on it for a good half hour. She told me not to run on Saturday as leg maybe a little sore. So waited until Sunday morning, down around the GAA Pitch - first time i've ran MP whilst training and was a little concerned about how tough i'd find it. Wasn't too bad. Leg a little sore all day yesterday, could be because of the work physio carried out. Not too bad this morning. Plan is to run the weekend's LSR (which i missed) tonight (8 miles). Will see how it goes.

Monday 25/06/12

8.00 = 1.15.30 - (9.26) - LSR

Done Sunday's LSR last night as missed it at the weekend. Got through it fine, left leg sore all way through due to physio working on it Saturday. Leg feels a bit weak this morning, hoping it's ok for a 5miler tonight. Will see....

Wednesday 27/06/12

5.00 = 46.11 - (9.13) - Easy

Felt niggle in the leg throughout, felt ok once the run finished. Hopefully it's getting better. If not seeing improvement over the weekend, it's off to physio for third session on Monday.

Friday 29/06/12

3.01 = 27.42 - (9.13) - Easy

Saturday 30/06/12

5.00 = 45.35 - (9.07) - Easy

Sunday 01/07/12

9.00 = 1.24.02 - (9.20) - LSR

Monday 02/07/12

3.01 = 31.15 - (10.23) - Recovery

Ok few days. Managed to get a few runs in. Also couple of walks to loosen up the muscles. Left Calf still acting up, so went to another Physio this morning and he worked on it for 40 minutes. Hoping to see some improvement soon.

Thursday 05/07/12

5.00 = 45.58 - (9.11) - Easy

Took the last two days off due to injured left calf as per physio. Physio said it should be fine after he worked on it Monday. He was wrong - felt a niggle in the leg the whole run and now few hours later it's sore. No better than before i went to see him. That was my third visit to two separate recommended physio's and no improvement. Will ring him tonight. Will be couple of days before i have the time to see him. Will keep doing the run's as per the plan and see how it goes. It's pi**ing me off now.

Haven't logged anything here in the last couple of weeks as having a disaster trying to get rid of my left calf injury. After last visit to a different physio, went for a run, didn't work. Went back to the first physio - he said it was the covering on the shin bone was inflamed (like shin splints). He worked on it for a few minutes, gave me couple of anti inflammitories and told me to rest for three days and then go running. I did as he said, except i didnt' run for six days to allow for extra rest.

Friday 13/07/12

3.00 = 27.32 - (9.10) - Easy

Done the above three miles and leg was sore again afterwards. Off to the physio again the next day. He wasn't there himself so his assistant had a look at it. Much the same feedback as the week before. Told me not to run on it until the following Thursday, do some cycling and some stretching. Decided to go to the gym and use the exercise bike to keep fitness levels up as best i could.

Saturday 14/07/12

Exercise Bike - Level 12 - 20K - 41.34 - 28.83KPH

Sunday 15/07/12

Exercise Bike - Level 11 - 40K - 1.26.28 - 27.73KPH

Monday 16/07/12

Exercise Bike - Level 10 - 15K - 34.03 - 26.38KPH

Have enjoyed using the exercise bike to keep fitness levels up. I'm inclined to do nothing when injured normally. Going to look into buying a bike so i have access to one when i get injured from running in future. Plan this week is to use exercise bike tomorrow (Tuesday) and then try running on Thursday and Friday as per physio's request. If it's still at me, i'm going back to physio to see what's next.

Due to the amount of session's i've missed (about 10 - 12 sessions) in the first five weeks of marathon training and with injury still affecting me, i've decided to drop out of Amsterdam Marathon and target another marathon maybe in November/December timeframe. Will start a plan as soon as i'm back running.

Tuesday 17/07/12

Exercise Bike - Level 12 - 25K - 54.43

Used gym in work today. Will rest now and try run an easy 3miler on Thursday. Not really holding out much hope.

Thursday 19/07/12

3.00 - 29.48 - (9.56)

Back running today after only 2 run's in three weeks. Took this really handy watching for soreness/pain in the calf. Seemed to be ok, done some stretching when i came home and put ice onthe leg for 30 minutes.
    Not getting too carried away. Will do the exact same tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Friday 20/07/12

3.00 - 29.05 - (9.41)

Again, ran same route as yesterday, nice and easy. Can still feel something in the left calf but not sore. Came home, done some stretching and iced it for 30 minutes. Going to get a massage on the legs tomorrow to loosen out the calf muscles. If all ok, might do a 5 miler easy on Sunday.

Fair play PDCAT. Must be tough but you're keeping the fitness up in fairness to you. Hope you're back asap

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Fair play PDCAT. Must be tough but you're keeping the fitness up in fairness to you. Hope you're back asap

Cheers Bob. Yeah have been finding it tough alright. Injury has been there now for about six weeks (since i overdone it on one particular week). Have been on/off running now during this time and missed most of last three weeks with only about 2/3 short run's. Getting some time on exercise bike so i'm doing something. Would love to shake this thing off and start a marathon plan. Have more important life stuff going on at the moment. That's taking priority so don't have time to feel miserable about missing the run's.

I hear ya on the life stuff. I find having a good ol run can really clear the head which can help, so its still crap when you cant get out. The bike is good idea as it would mean you'd be getting a bit of freah air still. best of luck with it and I hope it works itself out soon.

Went and got massage on both legs on Saturday. Fortunately, my wife own's a beauty salon and one of the girls that works for her is pretty good at sports massage. Got a good rub down on the calf muscles on both legs to loosen them out. Wanted to see would it help with the injury i have.

Sunday 22/07/12

6.27 - 1.00.08 - (9.35)

Supposed to do a 5 mile run, decided to keep going a small bit further. Leg wasn't too bad when running. Was sore enough later on in the day as i had to do a fair bit of walking around on it. Plan to run a 3 miler this evening nice and easy. Am keeping a close eye on the injured leg to see if it's getting better, worse or just staying the same. May switch to another physio close to me this week, if i'm not happy with progress.

Monday 23/07/12

3.00 - 30.08 - (10.03) - Recovery

Leg was fine all day. Decided to do a very slow 3 miler. Stretched and put ice on leg when i returned. Plan to do 5 miler tonight.

Tuesday 24/07/12

5.00 - 46.03 - (9.13) - Easy

Thursday 26/07/12

3.00 - 27.34 - (9.11) - Easy

Taking it easy at the moment. Can still feel niggle in the leg when running, not really sore though. No problem's once i stop running. Will keep tipping away and see what happens.

Saturday 28/07/12

5.00 - 42.32 - (8.30) - MP

Ran this 5miler around the GAA Pitch early on Saturday Morning. Beautiful morning for it and found it relatively comfortable.

Sunday 29/07/12

8.01 - 1.14.41 - (9.19) - LSR

Again, early morning run, found it fairly comfortable. Again lovely weather for it. The left leg still continues to cause concern. Can only feel a very slight niggle when i run. Couple of hours after the run is finished it can get slightly sore if i do alot of walking on it. If it's getting better, it's taking it's time about it. If it gets worse, i'll be back to a physio about it. Went to watch Kilkenny after this run, few beers afterwards. Missed my 3mile run today, will do it instead tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 31/07/12

3.00 - 30.15 - (10.05) - Recovery

Miserable morning. Went down to the GAA Pitch and done a few slow miles.

Advertisement