Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Bridge Roundabout

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

445279.ie wrote: »
    16 new sets of traffic lights for the city :eek:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-city-to-get-16.6550558.jp

oh god, thats gotta be a joke. but then again i bet its not a joke at all, its a sad reality of limerick city council that they think this is the way forward. What on earth are these plannes trying to do to the city - totally strangle the place. Its a city, cities have traffic, traffic needs to move into and out of the city quickly without p*ssing off all the motorists. Conspiracy theory or not, if more and more people do use the tunnel, guess what happens - more and more people decide not to come into the city centre. In the last 5 weeks the traffic across the whole city is moving fairly well (apart from the Salesians fiacso - now sorted I hope). From the Dublin Road, Dock Road, O'Connell Ave and Ennis Road, I am rarely delayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

16 new sets of lights!!!Are these dictators in city hall trying to close the city down?Who gets the contract to supply all these traffic lights and who is getting a brown paper bag in the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-city-to-get-16.6550558.jp
    But tunnel general manager Tom King described this as a "conspiracy theory".

Mr Murray also dismissed the claims: "No, the lights are not designed to force people into the tunnel. We need to balance the needs of motorists commuting through the city with the needs of other people in the city, including schools and local traffic," he said.
    tech2 wrote: »
    It's a strange coincidence alright given the Tunnel has only been open a few months and already there have put a new set of traffic lights on the alternative relief road(condell rd) out of the city. :rolleyes:

It was not strange coincidence. It was deliberate by Limerick City Council and NRA. Before the Tunnel was built I went to Two talks about the construction of the Tunnel and new Road and in Q&A after the Talks, when others have ask what if people are going to avoid the Tunnel to avoid paying the Toll. Both answers where the similar, that the City will be adding Traffic Lights and Changing Traffic Flows and adding more Pedestrians Streets, removing streets from vehicles traffic to on the Year before and after the Tunnel is built to encourage people to use the Tunnel. He said Travelling through the city will be made a lot more difficult. While Direct Route is not responsible for the Traffic Lights and change in Traffic Flow.
    The Real ones who are the Limerick City Council/NRA are Fully responsible to the disaster in the Traffic Flows and very deliberate about it which in turn will kill more business in the city centre.

its all well and good encouraging people to use the tunnel if you don't want to go into the city, but what about those who actually still want to go into the city to shop, work or go to schools. they are making it impossible. time to write to all my councillors again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 springwell7616

The town planners in Limerick couldn't plan a piss-up at Murphy's Brewery, never mind planning roads in Limerick!

• Advertisement

The town planners in Limerick couldn't plan a piss-up at Murphy's Brewery, never mind planning roads in Limerick!
    They did do planning. The Plan is to make life more difficult for drivers with the city bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Brillantly said lol..

The council havent a clue, build bus lanes to bring people into the city, then they put traffic lights every few meters that arent needed. People will not use buses to come shopping in the citys, when there is a local supermarket and shopping centre rite on there doorsteps where they can drive to, park for free..stay out of the rain..

Way of getting people into the city...

Provide better roads to move in and about the city, provide proper parking and loading bays....the footpaths are wider now than the roads, a complete joke they are so slippy on wet days that I now no longer EVER walk down thomas street, I will admit it looks great but looks arent everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

tech2 wrote: »
    It's a strange coincidence alright given the Tunnel has only been open a few months and already there have put a new set of traffic lights on the alternative relief road(condell rd) out of the city. :rolleyes:

What co-incidence?

The pedestrianisation and traffic management plans were always meant to be in place after the tunnel opened. No city centre should have the "through traffic" that Limerick has, it's effectively running a dual carriageway through the centre of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr Sense

It has been confirmed that the story about 16 sets of traffic lights is false. The correct number is 4 confirmed at Council meeting this evening by senior director .
    What we really need to consider is what kind of City Centre we want in Limerick. Do we what a city centre dominated by cars or do we want a city centre where pedestrians and cyclists can move about safely.
    I have 2 friends who were knocked down by cars in the last two years and I myself was knocked down as a teenager. Thankfully none of us were seriously hurt.
    What we must remember is that if you are in a nice warm car moving through a city then its not really a big deal to wait at traffic lights for a minute or two. It warm and you probably are listening to a radio show. Think about the poor pedestrians on a wet day waiting for a gap in traffic to cross the road. Too many pedestrians and cyclists are killed each year. Make the roads safer. I for one say the Councillors are correct to take the opportunity of the new City By-Pass to return the streets to the people who live in it and particullary to those who walk around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Agree with the idea of making the City centre people friendly and pleasant to move around in. Got very nearly killed by a car today on Henry street.
    Not sure if some of the traffic lights make it safer though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Agree with the idea of making the City centre people friendly and pleasant to move around in. Got very nearly killed by a car today on Henry street.
    Not sure if some of the traffic lights make it safer though.

Were you jaywalking, or did you use the pedestrian lights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Was cycling and had moved to centre of road to turn right at a junction when someone overtook me at high speed.

This threa is tittled shannon bridge roundabout so Iwill defer from airing my views on pedestrianisation

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Since moving down to this neck of the woods I was shocked that people dont walk the extra 50m to a pedestrian lights they just jaywalked when they want to cross the street expecting the cars to stop for them. Having said that cars do not stop at pelican lights for people. I personally know a grandmother and one month old baby that was killed using pelican lights.

So its a two way thing traffic lights will only make things safer if used correctly with all users of the road.

Mr Sense wrote: »
    It has been confirmed that the story about 16 sets of traffic lights is false. The correct number is 4 confirmed at Council meeting this evening by senior director .
    What we really need to consider is what kind of City Centre we want in Limerick. Do we what a city centre dominated by cars or do we want a city centre where pedestrians and cyclists can move about safely.
    I have 2 friends who were knocked down by cars in the last two years and I myself was knocked down as a teenager. Thankfully none of us were seriously hurt.
    What we must remember is that if you are in a nice warm car moving through a city then its not really a big deal to wait at traffic lights for a minute or two. It warm and you probably are listening to a radio show. Think about the poor pedestrians on a wet day waiting for a gap in traffic to cross the road. Too many pedestrians and cyclists are killed each year. Make the roads safer. I for one say the Councillors are correct to take the opportunity of the new City By-Pass to return the streets to the people who live in it and particullary to those who walk around it.
    There have been four installed already, but another 8 Traffic lights to be installed. I read this on the local newspapers again over the weekend. They listed the locations, 1 set for the dock road near the clarion hotel, more on O'Connell street, One for replacing the (abbey bridge) roundabout on the N20/N7
    http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.666339,-8.619096&spn=0.001184,0.001591&z=19
    as well as the Shannon Bridge roundabout. There more but these are the ones I could think of.

Several City Councillors are beginning to object to the removal of roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

limklad wrote: »
    There have been four installed already, but another 8 Traffic lights to be installed. I read this on the local newspapers again over the weekend. They listed the locations, 1 set for the dock road near the clarion hotel, more on O'Connell street, One for replacing the (abbey bridge) roundabout on the N20/N7
    http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.666339,-8.619096&spn=0.001184,0.001591&z=19
    as well as the Shannon Bridge roundabout. There more but these are the ones I could think of.

Several City Councillors are beginning to object to the removal of roundabouts.

How can they get more lights on O'Connell Street, there's one on every block.

hope you're not right about lights at the Clarion Hotel - on Dock Road I suppose. god almighty you won't be able to get into or out of the city. I came down Mallow Street at 8.30 this morning and there wasn't a car in sight on any of the approach roads to the roundabout except what was coming over the bridge. what the hell are these planners thinking of?????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

foinse wrote: »
    How can they get more lights on O'Connell Street, there's one on every block.

No there isn't - none on Cecil St or Glentworth St, if you include The Crescent, then Harstonge St and Barrington St have no lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

phog wrote: »
    No there isn't - none on Cecil St or Glentworth St, if you include The Crescent, then Harstonge St and Barrington St have no lights.

Oh yeah, but there's absolutely no need for lights on Cecil or Glentworth st's, Barrington and Hartstonge st are on O'Connell Ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Off topic - But who'd risk driving between Limerick and Cork anyway?

- That road must have been better 200 years ago......

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

What are they thinking about?:confused:

Current system works very well - why mess it up with lights? Why change it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

foinse wrote: »
    Oh yeah, but there's absolutely no need for lights on Cecil or Glentworth st's, Barrington and Hartstonge st are on O'Connell Ave.

Hate to correct you again, Hartstonge St is on the junction of O'Connell St and The Crescent. Barrington St is on the junction with The Crescent and Quinlan St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

With the amount of lights going up somebody in the council must have shares in a company that installs them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Not to hijack this thread, but on the subject of lights, what's making my blood boil recently are the couple of pedestrian lights that insist on turning amber, then red, without any human intervention of any kind.

One set of the offending lights is the one on Brookville Avenue near the entrance to Caherdavin. I drive that road frequently and in the past few weeks, I found myself stopped for the 'phantom' pedestrian.
    these lights turn red when no-one is waiting to cross the road.

I was making my way home on foot from the Woodfield House last week at around 11.30pm and as I approached the lights, they turned red, stopping the solitary motorist whom, I'd guess, was cursing me and wondering why I had to turn the lights red when there was just one car on the road at the time.

Maybe these pedestrian crossings are haunted? :confused::(

I see the lights near the Lee Estate are behaving in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

They have now also put a new set of pedestrian lights on the condell rd at the westfields pk area.

those new lights won't really stop the traffic much (I hope) - they ones at Barringstons pier are very quick. I know the ones on Brookville road are very slow to change to green for the pedestrian and I've often seen the pedestrian long gone in a gap in the traffic before the lights turn green for them. Cars stopped then for no reason at all. Saw a kid out on Fr Russell Road press the lights just for fun this evening. Stopped cars in both directions while he just walked on aaaaaggggggghhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Stopped cars in both directions while he just walked on aaaaaggggggghhhhhh

you should have kicked his fcukin face off. that'd learn him.

Advertisement