Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What power do off-duty guards have?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

CiniO wrote: »
    Let's involve a bit o maths.
    Let's assume car you are overtaking is 5m long, you change lane to right 15m before the car, and change back the same 15m after passing the car. Your car is 5m also.
    All you need is 40m.
    At speed difference of 10km/h (80km/h - 70km/h) you are travelling at 2.78m/s so you need just a bit less then 14.5s to overtake.
    At 80km/h 14.5s is a distance of 320m.

That's long, but not as you said "long long stretch of road".
    On a nice straight stretch with low traffic, it's absolutely possible to do.
    Perversely, it'd probably be safer to overtake them at 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

KamiKazi wrote: »
    The "Rules of the road" is not a legal document nor can you be prosecuted for not adhering to them.

No but you can be done for other offences as a result of not adhering to them. i.e. dangerous driving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

pippip wrote: »
    No but you can be done for other offences as a result of not adhering to them. i.e. dangerous driving

In which get you get prosecuted for driving dangerously, not for breaking the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Anan1 wrote: »
    Perversely, it'd probably be safer to overtake them at 100km/h.

Me either.
    I just wanted to point out, that it's far from being almost impossible, as someone stated earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

KamiKazi wrote: »
    In which get you get prosecuted for driving dangerously, not for breaking the rules of the road.

Thats exactly what I said, sorry if it didn't read right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

batman1 wrote: »
    Although you seem to have a thorough knowledge of car speedo's, you know feck all about GPS if you are relying on it to tell the accuracy of your car. GPS has errors which will mean it would not be accurate enough to determine that information accurately. Stick to your speedo.
    You need to buy a decent GPS unit which can Acquiring multiples signals easily. The more signals it get the more accurate the location.
    The New expensive ones are far more accurate and quicker in Acquiring multiples signals than the old ones despite the offset in Location in which the US military have control off.

The Cheap ones in Mobiles phones and most cars GPS navigation are poor and slow in acquiring signals.

Advertisement