Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatrout Devistated by maggot fishing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

snow ghost
    yes there would be some course fishing in those parts but those guys were IRISH and they were after wild trout, so i had to pack up and leave or face the prospect of those 'slob fishermen' trotting floats with maggots in front of me from the far bank.....

with regard to pronunciation many different people fish irish rivers and lakes.

gaeilge, english, scots, french, germans, poles, latvians, welsh, belgians, yanks, i even got talking to a brazillian once nice chap and a good fly fisherman too..........all with very odd surnames.....but sadly it has to be said the fact is that some behave different than others this is fact not racism.

ironbluedun,

I wouldn't disagree with many of your points on this matter.

I just don't have a problem with anglers using other methods, such as maggots, as long as they are being responsible.

For example, say your average joe wants to get into angling - trout angling - and had no knowledge whatsoever of it, he would be faced with a fairly daunting plethora of tackle, techniques, etc, etc. Easiest thing for him to do, and is often the case, is to buy a basic all round baitfishing rod and reel combo a few hooks and some ball sinkers, stick a worm or a few maggots on the end and catch a fish... and also hook himself on the thrill of it all.

Now I have faith that many of these same people who start out like this will progress to othe rmethods like fly fishing.

I think the biggest problem with the persistent losers who continue to fish irresponsibly and against the law is that the inland fisheries board seems to lack the resources, or desire, to properly police our waterways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

snow ghost wrote: »
    ironbluedun,

I wouldn't disagree with many of your points on this matter.

I just don't have a problem with anglers using other methods, such as maggots, as long as they are being responsible.

For example, say your average joe wants to get into angling - trout angling - and had no knowledge whatsoever of it, he would be faced with a fairly daunting plethora of tackle, techniques, etc, etc. Easiest thing for him to do, and is often the case, is to buy a basic all round baitfishing rod and reel combo a few hooks and some ball sinkers, stick a worm or a few maggots on the end and catch a fish... and also hook himself on the thrill of it all.

Now I have faith that many of these same people who start out like this will progress to othe rmethods like fly fishing.

I think the biggest problem with the persistent losers who continue to fish irresponsibly and against the law is that the inland fisheries board seems to lack the resources, or desire, to properly police our waterways.

i agree with what you are saying 100%.....young boys start out worm or maggot (mostly worm) fishing for trout and in later life they progress onto more conservation minded methods..... but the people we are talking about are mature adults and not in the learning stage....they are a minority but they are there fishing irresponsibly and without concern to others or the environment they fish within.

To the young lad starting out worm fishing taking the odd trout or two i have no problem with, sure i did that myself many moons ago. Having said that when i started there were no stockie fisheries in Ireland. These days there are loads of them all over the country and if someone wants to learn they are good places to learn rather than on wild fisheries where wild fish need conserving.

the campaign for conservation continues.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

i agree with what you are saying 100%.....young boys start out worm or maggot (mostly worm) fishing for trout and in later life they progress onto more conservation minded methods..... but the people we are talking about are mature adults and not in the learning stage....they are a minority but they are there fishing irresponsibly and without concern to others or the environment they fish within.

To the young lad starting out worm fishing taking the odd trout or two i have no problem with, sure i did that myself many moons ago. Having said that when i started there were no stockie fisheries in Ireland. These days there are loads of them all over the country and if someone wants to learn they are good places to learn rather than on wild fisheries where wild fish need conserving.

the campaign for conservation continues.........

well in my opinion if someone is caught maggot fishing irresponsibly, for punishment they should be subjected to 5 days fly fishing LMAO and they wont maggot fish again....

anyway how sexy is maggot fishing ... LMAO... it is no wonder not many women take up fishing... get people on the fly at any age..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

BOF = you know the rivers im talking about......

Do they? Since you haven't given one shred of info about where these rivers are, and your location is hidden, how would they know? And what is BOF anyway??
    Have you reported this to IFI?
    Have you contacted local clubs/fishery owners to get support for a byelaw to ban maggot fishing?
    Do you know the process for getting such byelaws introduced?
    Or do you prefer to moan from behind your keyboard rather than doing something constructive about it???

Its not the first time you've been on here making allegations about fisheries staff without backing them up...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66109596&postcount=26
    actually on the other hand.. i think everyone should put up names and addresses of the guys doing this.....:D

name and shame....

Yes, lets post photos of guys fishing legally on the internet and imply that they're breaking the law :rolleyes: What a clever idea!

I suggest you don't do this on boards, at least read the charter before posting libellous material. :rolleyes:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do they? Since you haven't given one shred of info about where these rivers are, and your location is hidden, how would they know? And what is BOF anyway??
    Have you reported this to IFI?
    Have you contacted local clubs/fishery owners to get support for a byelaw to ban maggot fishing?
    Do you know the process for getting such byelaws introduced?
    Or do you prefer to moan from behind your keyboard rather than doing something constructive about it???

Its not the first time you've been on here making allegations about fisheries staff without backing them up...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66109596&postcount=26

here we go ....

if you actually read this in the way you were intended you should see quite a lot of humour.. but anyway if you taste sour you are sour....

no one was saying anything about BOF...

and no one was moaning...

i was only brining it to peoples attention...

[Comment deleted by Mod]

and yes you are able to post your photos on the net... by the way... and if there is evidence in the photo of a bucket of fish ... hahahahahah

are you worried.... im not... get your cam phones out and take some photos... love to see all the poachers.... named and shamed...

have to admit i dont like poachers... ill take any net i see on the river...

and no that salmon river is not the seatrout river im on about... BOF know what river... not to hard to guess... not many rivers were classified as the best seatrout river in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

here we go ....

if you actually read this in the way you were intended you should see quite a lot of humour.. but anyway if you taste sour you are sour....

no one was saying anything about BOF...

and no one was moaning...

i was only brining it to peoples attention...

and its just people like you that are a pain in everyones hole

and yes you are able to post your photos on the net... by the way... and if there is evidence in the photo of a bucket of fish ... hahahahahah

are you worried.... im not... get your cam phones out and take some photos... love to see all the poachers....

Actually, I think you'll find you did say something about BOF - you still haven't explained what that is though...
    Your OP was moaning about people killing small fish by fishing with maggots. Nowhere did you mention the name of the river, or say that it was illegal. Either its on a river where its illegal, or its not. If its not, you clearly want that changed. So I suggest you do something about it.

Read the list of questions I posed to you. Actually read them and think about them.

Get out from behind the keyboard and do something about it. IFI (not BOF) cannot legislate without public consultation, so why not kickstart that consultation by getting angling clubs/fishery owners/other anglers from those rivers who share your views to write and ask for a public consultation with a view to getting byelaws passed??? That's how the Corrib trout byelaws were introduced, from anglers making their concerns known and doing something about it.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Actually, I think you'll find you did say something about BOF - you still haven't explained what that is though...
    Your OP was moaning about people killing small fish by fishing with maggots. Nowhere did you mention the name of the river, or say that it was illegal. Either its on a river where its illegal, or its not. If its not, you clearly want that changed. So I suggest you do something about it.

Read the list of questions I posed to you. Actually read them and think about them.

Get out from behind the keyboard and do something about it. IFI (not BOF) cannot legislate without public consultation, so why not kickstart that consultation by getting angling clubs/fishery owners/other anglers from those rivers who share your views to write and ask for a public consultation with a view to getting byelaws passed??? That's how the Corrib trout byelaws were introduced, from anglers making their concerns known and doing something about it.

i think a load of photos of poachers will do the trick.. no need to go to the IFI or BOF or clubs..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ok I'm closing this thread down as its run its course & seems to be degenerating into racist and personal comments.

I dont mind this forum used to air views or raise awareness, but I dont see the point of three pages of finger pointing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement