Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatrout Devistated by maggot fishing

Options
  • 13-09-2010 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

What do people think about the small streams that have the best seatrout fishing in ireland and still produces seatrout up to 8lb, are being decimated by guys fishing with maggots.

Magot fishermen are killing all the baby seatout and salmon smols in my local river and taking them home...

im not going to name names but this has to stop.

there should be a maggot fishing ban on all seatrout rivers during the day

day fishing should be banned as there is no point being on the river during the day anyway...

BOF = you know the rivers im talking about......

the idea of releasing fish over a certain size is not working.....

and before any maggot fisherman gives out to me... ask yourself this ... how many times did a small salmon smolt or seatrout or brown trout eat your tiny hook and you could not get it out from deep down in this throat without killing it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

by the way im sure your wondering why someone is taking home 30+ baby fish every trip....

because in certain cultures it is acceptable to kill and eat fish that small...

by the way someone should put this thread on the flyforums.co.uk cus they got a majour bout of this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Deadbaits?

shblob wrote: »
    Deadbaits?

well all i know is the guys down on the river im on about are eating them...

but im sure in other areas thats going on to..

also another majour problem is kids with maggots groups of them killing all the small seatrout during the day....

and they kill a lot of small seatrout and salmon that have not gone to sea yet...

BOF needs to make these rivers night fishing only... and the river will be healthy in 3 years

by leting people take small fish off the river BOF has just given every muppet a licence to slaughter

the river has NO future

actually on the other hand.. i think everyone should put up names and addresses of the guys doing this.....:D

name and shame....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

In these parts - and people don't use maggots - there are byelaws outlawing the taking of sea trout - seems to be working very well and I believe sea trout stocks are improving.

Children should be persuaded to see the benefit of letting little fish go so they can catch them when they grow.

As for naming and shaming - not really an option, especially if what they are doing is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

This practise of maggot fishing for seatrout is nothing short of poaching and of course it should be illegal. The people who partake in such activity are disgusting ignorant savages. Cave man would have better ethics than these ‘kill and eat all that swims’ savages. But this is a matter of law and enforcement and again the IFI are light years behind the rest of the world. It is pathetic really totally pathetic what a waste of money the IFI is. At the very least we need laws to ban the use of maggots in rivers where game fish exist. But will such progressive policies be pursued? No, plough on with the heads in the sand ignore everything and do nothing.

snow ghost wrote: »
    As for naming and shaming - not really an option, especially if what they are doing is legal.

taking bags of undersized fish is far from legal..........name them...that is if you can pronounce their names that is........

taking bags of undersized fish is far from legal..........name them...that is if you can pronounce their names that is........

true... ... but iv seen irish men take large paint buckets of half pound seatrout out of the stream on maggots... and they also kill the baby seatrout and salmon.... as they cant get the hook out in time,.....

in the old days the english in ireland would shoot you on sight if you were seen doing this....

I think the camera phone is going to come in handy.... and a first name...

Anyone want to set up a new type of shooting club...LMAO.... lol with a camera of course...

true... ... but iv seen irish men take large paint buckets of half pound seatrout out of the stream on maggots... and they also kill the baby seatrout and salmon.... as they cant get the hook out in time,.....

yes we have enough indigenous uneducated savages.......they belong in the congo.

• Advertisement

yes we have enough indigenous uneducated savages.......they belong in the congo.

well we should all keep our camera phones handy....

and start plastering there faces and there bucket of evidence all over the net...:D

well we should all keep our camera phones handy....

and start plastering there faces and there bucket of evidence all over the net...:D

There would be legal implications for doing such.

name them...that is if you can pronounce their names that is........

Implied racism is less acceptable than taking undersize fish.

Perhaps education and byelaws are the only answer in combating the taking of undersize fish, etc.

As I said the sea trout no take zone here in mayo seems to be working, and many of the smaller game waters here would be fly only or sections of them which can help.

I don't mind someone using maggots or any bait as long as they are being sensible about it - i.e. if all the fish are deep hooked then they should reconsider.

if all the fish are deep hooked then they should reconsider.

problem is it takes alot of skill to not deep hook a baby trout/seatrout/salmon... with maggots.. and tiny hook...

and anyone with skill is not fishing during the day for small fish...

Implied racism is less acceptable than taking undersize fish.

What implied racism? Is racism an excuse to do nothing about educating non nationals and indeed indigenous nationals about the merits of conservation and sustainability, or maybe some people are so narrow minded and greed driven they don’t want to be educated.

problem is it takes alot of skill to not deep hook a baby trout/seatrout/salmon... with maggots.. and tiny hook...

100% correct.....trout and salmon parr will gobble down maggots and the pigs that use maggots know that.

What implied racism? Is racism an excuse to do nothing about educating non nationals and indeed indigenous nationals about the merits of conservation and sustainability, or maybe some people are so narrow minded and greed driven they don’t want to be educated.

"What implied racism" - cop on.

In these parts - and people don't use maggots - there are byelaws outlawing the taking of sea trout - seems to be working very well and I believe sea trout stocks are improving.

oh yes they do........i know it is slightly different but i have personally seen people fishing for brown trout on the Gweeston river with maggots.

sea trout stocks are improving on managed and private fisheries....i dont think this thread refers to those well monitored fly only fisheries.

I know what you are saying, that said there are a lot of people out there who want to get into angling or have just started and basically they are happy to catch fish by any means. I have faith that many will progress from maggots to more sporting methods.

There may well be a small number of idiots who don't care and want to catch loads of small fish and kill them regardless of the consequences, but to be honest there always will be in all walks of life.

100% agree... it is just in some cultures irish included, there are uneducated people with regards to what is right and wrong...to conservation to sustained a future of certain species...

• Advertisement

I know what you are saying, that said there are a lot of people out there who want to get into angling or have just started and basically they are happy to catch fish by any means. I have faith that many will progress from maggots to more sporting methods.

There may well be a small number of idiots who don't care and want to catch loads of small fish and kill them regardless of the consequences, but to be honest there always will be in all walks of life.

well if someone wants to learn they should go to a stocky bashing lake...

you can catch big fish and learn how to play them.. and hook them ... release them properly ... eat them , so when you go to a wild fishery and you only get about 4 decent rises from big fish in a day you will hook them....

oh yes they do........i know it is slightly different but i have personally seen people fishing for brown trout on the Gweeston river with maggots.

sea trout stocks are improving on managed and private fisheries....i dont think this thread refers to those well monitored fly only fisheries.

Ironbluedon,

I was talking about sea trout, tbh I had to look up the Gweeston river as I'd never heard of it. There would be a lot more coarse fishing in those parts than here, so I can imagine they use maggots there. Here in West Mayo angling shops don't stock maggots.

100% agree... it is just in some cultures irish included, there are uneducated people with regards to what is right and wrong...to conservation to sustained a future of certain species...

its nothing to do with racism. i am sick of cowards hiding behind racism. i don't care where a person is from the fact is there are laws and ethics, some of these people know little of laws and nothing of ethics....or i should say pretend to know little of laws.

Ironbluedon,

I was talking about sea trout, tbh I had to look up the Gweeston river as I'd never heard of it. There would be a lot more coarse fishing in those parts than here, so I can imagine they use maggots there. Here in West Mayo angling shops don't stock maggots.

that is true they don't stock maggots in the shops but the Gweeston is a trout and salmon river, tributary of the Moy fast flowing over a limestone bed. i have fished it for trout many times.....not many coarse fish there.

its nothing to do with racism. i am sick of cowards hiding behind racism. i don't care where a person is from the fact is there are laws and ethics, some of these people know little of laws and nothing of ethics....or i should say pretend to know little of laws.

yea i know i said i 100% agree with you:)

well if someone wants to learn they should go to a stocky bashing lake...

- Why? Because you said so? You're starting to sound like the landed gentry and British Landlords of Old dictating to people where they can fish!

that is true they don't stock maggots in the shops but the Gweeston is a trout and salmon river, tributary of the Moy fast flowing over a limestone bed. i have fished it for trout many times.....not many coarse fish there.

There would be more coarse fishing waters around those parts though.

As for the racism - I take it you were alluding to people with difficult to pronounce names in as gaeilge then. Right.

well if someone wants to learn they should go to a stocky bashing lake... QUOTE]

- Why? Because you said so? You're starting to sound like the landed gentry and British Landlords of Old dictating to people where they can fish!

Well i can tell ya that I learnt how to play big rainbows on 2lb and size 22 dry flys... and never lose one...(Stocky bashing lakes)

it is just some advice on how to catch and learn fast so when you go to a wild fishery you will be sucessfull...

:)

and if i was the gentry i would be ashamed ... they tried to teach us english and i cant understand half of ireland lol

There would be more coarse fishing waters around those parts though.

As for the racism - I take it you were alluding to people with difficult to pronounce names in as gaeilge then. Right.

snow ghost
    yes there would be some course fishing in those parts but those guys were IRISH and they were after wild trout, so i had to pack up and leave or face the prospect of those 'slob fishermen' trotting floats with maggots in front of me from the far bank.....

with regard to pronunciation many different people fish irish rivers and lakes.

gaeilge, english, scots, french, germans, poles, latvians, welsh, belgians, yanks, i even got talking to a brazillian once nice chap and a good fly fisherman too..........all with very odd surnames.....but sadly it has to be said the fact is that some behave different than others this is fact not racism.

• Advertisement

snow ghost
    yes there would be some course fishing in those parts but those guys were IRISH and they were after wild trout, so i had to pack up and leave or face the prospect of those 'slob fishermen' trotting floats with maggots in front of me from the far bank.....

with regard to pronunciation many different people fish irish rivers and lakes.

gaeilge, english, scots, french, germans, poles, latvians, welsh, belgians, yanks, i even got talking to a brazillian once nice chap and a good fly fisherman too..........all with very odd surnames.....but sadly it has to be said the fact is that some behave different than others this is fact not racism.

its kind of like the sport of shooting... in other countries they shoot everything... thrush blackbirds seagulls everything you can think of is fair game...

anyway the guys with the skill are not doing the damage.. it is they guys that need to be trained...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement