Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

J C wrote: »
    I have to say that your cartoon is quite tasteless ... especially in view of the high rates of suicide currently in this country.

I would ask you to reconsider using it.

qdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gif

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

dlofnep wrote: »
    I would ask you to go to the shop and buy a sense of humour, and accept it in the light-hearted context it was intended.
    I have a good sense of humour ... and I accept that the cartoon was intended to be light-hearted ... but with our suicide death rates now at several times our road-death rate, anything that makes light of this very serious issue isn't a good idea.

I would ask you, as a fellow Human Being, to reconsider and reflect upon the use of the cartoon ... or, at least, edit off the head shot at the end, if possible.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Suicide-rate-rising-rapidly-in-Ireland-as-recession-grips-138771164.html

National road deaths are about 4 per week at present ... and suicide rates are running at about 20 persons per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

I have a good sense of humour ... and I accept that the cartoon was intended to be light-hearted ... but with our suicide death rates now several times our road-death rate, anything that makes light of this very serious issue isn't a good idea.

I would ask you to reconsider and reflect upon the use of the cartoon.

Last time I promise mods..

qdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gifqdgYU.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

...has this thread finally run its course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have to say that your cartoon is quite tasteless ... especially in view of the high rates of suicide currently in this country.

I would ask you to reconsider using it.

Don't be so intolerant. Hypocrisy makes you look fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Anyone else notice the way JC pointlessly edits his posts way after the initial posting? He just changed "I would ask you to edit it off." to "I would ask you to reconsider using it." 20mins afterwards.

He's said before it's the holy spirit inspiring him.

I reckon that's one bloody indecisive spirit.

sephir0th wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the way JC pointlessly edits his posts way after the initial posting? He just changed "I would ask you to edit it off." to "I would ask you to reconsider using it." 20mins afterwards.
    It means the same thing ... and I have noted that ye are refusing to remove it.

If you had to cut down a young man who had hung himself ... or break the news to his devastated family ... you wouldn't be so flippant about this issue.

I would appeal to anybody reading this thread who contemplates suicide to talk to somebody about your feelings. Talk to somebody ... anybody ... or phone the Samaratans on 1850 60 90 90.

There are many people who love you ... even though you may not realise it.

While I agree your posts are pretty bad J C, I wouldn't quite say they cause suicidal thoughts. Don't beat yourself up over it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Your love is faux-love. We don't want it. We only accept genuine love... from a pretty woman.

• Advertisement

Your love is faux-love. We don't want it. We only accept genuine love... from a pretty woman.
    I said that there are many people who love each individual ... and their love is often unsaid ... until it's too late.

... so tell the people you love ... that you love them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

National road deaths are about 4 per week at present ... and suicide rates are running at about 20 persons per week.
    Read your article again. The quoted figure of 20 per week appears to have been plucked out of thin air and the last reliably-recorded rates are from 2010, when around nine people per week were committing suicide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

We don't want it. We only accept genuine love... from a pretty woman.
    Or a hunky man :)

All false love. A good single malt and a fine Cuban cigar are where it's at. They'll never let you down.

robindch wrote: »
    Read your article again. The quoted figure of 20 per week appears to have been plucked out of thin air and the last reliably-recorded rates are from 2010, when around nine people per week were committing suicide.
    ... even based on this figure, it is at least twice the road death rate ... and the official Irish rate is also twice the British suicide rate per 100,000 of the population

It is also recognised that official suicide figures worldwide, are understated because of the reluctance of coroners courts to bring in verdicts of suicide, where any doubt exists about whether the death may have been due to misadventure.
    Why do you quibble over a minor statistical issue, when the human tragedy of suicide touches every community in Ireland - and is one of the biggest issues of Human Safety facing this country?

Why do you not ask your fellow atheists to reconsider their trivialisation of this very serious issue?

At a guess, I'd say it's because you're just trying to use it as a distraction from the fact you've failed for a couple of years now to provide that rigorous definition of cfsi that Dembski claimed he had.

And bam! Back on topic!

Sarky wrote: »
    All false love. A good single malt and a fine Cuban cigar are where it's at. They'll never let you down.
    They can also give you a hangover ... and Lung Cancer ... but the love of a Christian woman ... has never let me down.

... and the love of Jesus Christ can Save you for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

J C, can I ask your opinion as to why there are reindeer fossils in Spain?

Is it the same reason as what's generally accepted by the scientific community. i.e. something along the lines of they lived there during the last ice age which ended around 11,000 BC and then died off / migrated because the couldn't survive in the warmer climate or does intelligent design have another explanation for it?

Sorry for my ignorance on this. I'm not sure if the presence of these fossils contradicts ID's viewpoint of natural history or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Nonsense, I've been watching Star Wars for a good 20 years now, and it's always good.
    Ignorance is always blessing. You could watch new movies in all these wasted 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

They can also give you a hangover ... and Lung Cancer ... but the love of a Christian woman ... will never let you down.

... and the love of Jesus Christ can Save you for eternity.

Christian woman? I dunno, all those outdated christian morals could get in the way of a bit of fun :D
    dead one wrote: »
    Ignorance is always blessing. You could watch new movies in all these wasted 20 years.

And you could broaden your mind instead of relying on the word of ancient civilisations.

• Advertisement

And you could broaden your mind instead of relying on the word of ancient civilisations.
    The ancients are dead in their graves. Soon you will with your civilization. My mind thinks which you're not capable to understand.

The ancients are dead in their graves. Soon you will with your civilization. My mind thinks which you're not capable to understand.

Well I agree with you there anyway.

Well I agree with you there anyway.
    Hi Doc, Can you cure me. I used to die to ramble in the arteries of beautiful idols. So carry my dead body through the streets. Leaving the world, I would ramble one more time through those captivating places, because now I'm going to a place from which no one returns

Hi Doc, Can you cure me. I used to die to ramble in the arteries of beautiful idols. So carry my dead bogy through the streets. Leaving the world, I would ramble one more time through those captivating places, because now I'm going to a place from which no one returns

Please PM me the number of your dealer.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Every component contains CFSI ... and thus is intelligently designed.
    ... and the system works with excellent efficiency to protect your body against a vast array of potential threats that would rapidly kill you otherwise.

You haven't even defined what CFSI is, let alone proven that it exists. Therefore you can't assert it was intelligently designed.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    You haven't even defined what CFSI is, let alone proven that it exists. Therefore you can't assert it was intelligently designed.

Exactly. I can claim it contains ERND, and thus was designed by the lord Ra just as easily.

Hail Ra.

Christian woman? I dunno, all those outdated christian morals could get in the way of a bit of fun :D
    What 'outdated Christian morals' are you talking about?

Loyalty, Love and Faithfulness never go out of fashion ... and I can confirm that being married to a Christian woman increases the 'fun' ... but without the clinical and sub-clinical 'disease loading' that inevitably results from having multiple partners ... even if you do cover 1% of your body surface in micro-thin latex!!!

It always amazes me that the very people who would 'have a fit' if somebody even sneezed near them ... will go off and 'sleep' with somebody that they have never met before ... and probably never will meet again ... and who is obviously as promiscous as themselves.

It is indeed a very deep tragedy when somebody contracts an incurable STD that prevents them from having a normal sexual relationship ... with somebody they subsequently meet and truly love.

Loyalty, Love and Faithfulness never go out of fashion ... and I can confirm that being married to a Christian woman increases the 'fun' ... but without the clinical and sub-clinical 'disease loading' that inevitably results from having multiple partners ... even if you do cover 1% of your body surface in micro-thin latex!!!

It always amazes me that the very people who would 'have a fit' if somebody even sneezed near them ... will go off and 'sleep' with somebody that they have never met before ... and probably never will meet again ... and who is obviously as promiscous as themselves.

It is indeed a very deep tragedy when somebody contracts an incurable STD that prevents them from having a normal sexual relationship ... with somebody they subsequently meet and truly love.

The ones that are defined in a book that's a few thousand years old were the ones I was referring to.

I wouldn't have a fit if someone sneezed near me, nor would I go off sleeping with 'somebody I've never met before.' I also wouldn't wait until marriage to sleep with someone as it's pretty damn difficult to tell if you're compatible with someone until you do so. Aaaaanyway this is going just a little off topic. That wouldn't be what you want J C now would it? Because we all know you're just dying to tell us about all that robust evidence you've gathered for CFSI, right? Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Slavery, murder and selling children is pretty outdated to be fair. All promoted in the Bible.

• Advertisement

Teg Veece wrote: »
    J C, can I ask your opinion as to why there are reindeer fossils in Spain?

Is it the same reason as what's generally accepted by the scientific community. i.e. something along the lines of they lived there during the last ice age which ended around 11,000 BC and then died off / migrated because the couldn't survive in the warmer climate or does intelligent design have another explanation for it?

Sorry for my ignorance on this. I'm not sure if the presence of these fossils contradicts ID's viewpoint of natural history or not.
    If they are true rock-bound fossils then they probably were killed by the Flood ... but if they are found as bones in caves, then they are likely to be post-diluvian (and possibly quite recent) in origin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement