Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case for Evolution.

Options
  • 18-02-2012 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to discuss the case for Evolution, and why I accept that it has been scientifically validated at every level. Evolution is often (erroneously) accused of having no evidence to support it. Clearly, it is a reactionary statement by creationists - who hear it time and time again, and feel that they can parrot it willy-nilly.

Firstly, before we delve into the evidence for evolution - I think we should state from the get go what evolution is NOT.

Evolution does not discuss the origins of life. If your argument against evolution is based on whether or not we have sufficient evidence for how life originated, then you're not arguing against Evolution I'm afraid - but against abiogenesis. (Which in itself is a fascinating topic, but not pertinent to the current topic)

Evolution is not where a dog turns into a cat, or where a crocodile turns into a duck. That is magic, and we don't believe in magic. We believe in gradual changes over long periods of time, which can eventually result in speciation.

So with evolution, over time you should find something like this:

article-1324243-0BCB8805000005DC-203_468x286.jpg

And not something like this:

monkeytoman.png

Fossil Record

When people think of Evolution, they think of fossils. While the fossil record at present is remarkable, it is not the most compelling evidence for Evolution. Or at least, not the only evidence for evolution.

We can look at the fossil record in two ways. One - is as an overall glance at how life advanced over 100's of millions of years. We see in the rock layers, the most simple forms of life in earlier rock, progressing on to fish, early amphibians, reptiles, mammals and birds and so forth..

geologictime1.jpg

We will never find humans before dinosaurs in the fossil record. Homo habilis will always pre-date homo sapiens in the rock timeline. And this is exactly what we would expect in a world with evolution by natural selection.

There are so many species that are well documented in the fossil record. The horse, fish to tetrapods, whale and humans are amongst these. The evidence for these transitions is clearly visible for anyone who wants to see them.

In human evolution, we see an increase in intelligence, brain-size, tool competency, and language over the course of a very long period of time all the way back to Australopithecus right up to modern day Homo Sapiens and less recently, Neanderthal. Creationists never really agree on which member of the Homo genus is man, and which is ape. What we do see however is a genus becoming less ape-like in it's traditional sense, and more human-like as time progresses. Homo erectus for example had an average brain size about 3 quarters the size of a human. So while these guys were not Einstein, they were clearly much more remarkable than the earlier Homo Habilis, who in turn was more intelligent than the even earlier Australopithecus Afarensis.

Typical arguments against the fossil record, always refer to the 'missing link'. There will always be missing links between any set of species. We are very lucky to have the record that we have. But that doesn't mean that we can't get a very solid picture with the fossil record that we have. We have a number of intermediary species, which give us more than ample information on the evolution of humans.

In the fish to tetrapod transition, we see weight bearing limbs gradually form over time along with a more tetrapod shaped head.

Abz7LnwCEAAWuHO.png

In the evolution of the horse, we see the animal grow in size, become more sturdier, turn from a multi-toed mammal, into a single-toed mammal, eventually into a hooved mammal.

Horse-evolution-pr7967.jpg

Old traits that remain in modern species.

The idea of a flightless bird seems almost ironic. Why would a God create a bird if it could not fly? Would it not seem much more appropriate to give them the ability to fly, or to make them a mammal if they are going to spend all of their time on the ground? The real answer is that wings on flightless birds are vestiges of a time, when they could once fly. We know this based on fossil evidence and DNA analysis.

Some, like the Kiwi have wings so small that they are virtually useless. But we can see through natural selection why their wings would lose purpose. Having spent a large period of time in an area with little to no dangers on the ground - they had no need for flight. This can be of benefit to the Kiwi who can mobilise on the ground a lot easier than it's flying cousins.

A potential drawback of this however - anywhere where predators have been introduced to the areas of similar flightless birds like Kakapo, they have been hunted to almost extinction or indeed, total extinction. The problem is that evolution by natural selection doesn't happen overnight, and evolution by natural selection cannot occur quick enough to deal with a rapid threat, such as the instant introduction of a non-native predator like a cat. Once again, this is exactly what you would expect from Evolution.

Some other flightless birds, who may have lost their ability to fly - have not completely lost use in their wings. In Ostriches, we see that they have adapted their wings to serve a new purpose - balance whilst running at high speeds, for matural rituals, and for shading their young from the African heat. The penguin has obviously adapted their wings to allow them to swim.

So being able to fly is advantageous, but being more mobile on land, where there are no native predators or swimming swiftly in fish-filled waters can be even more advantageous where the habitat permits it.

We also see day's of an older time visible in other species. The whale is a great example. It curiously has a pelvis, and hind limb. If you go back slightly further to one of it's predecessor, Durudon - you see even larger limbs at 2 feet long - but yet surely spent all of it's time in the water. Even more curious is the atavisms that exist in Whales. 1 in every 500 whales is born with the remnants of it's old legs. Dormant genes which contain these features can be re-activated in an array of different species. Dormant genes from a time gone by where the Whale's ancestor had functional legs, and walked on land.

Figure_1.png

So it's clear - the evidence for evolution is compelling. Opponents of it either do not understand what the theory of Evolution states, or expect impossible evidence such as a step-by-step, fossil-by-fossil sequence of every animal that has ever existed from single-celled creatures to modern day humans. That is simply not feasible, given that fossil occurances are very rare. But it doesn't stop us from being able to build a picture - a picture that shows the important transitions.. The arrrival of early fish, the transition from lobe-finned fish to tetrapods, the evolution to reptiles, then to mammal-like reptiles, on to mammals.. The arrival of the primates is well documented, and their evolution right up to modern day homo sapiens.

So anyone who says there is no evidence for Evolution is either lying, or has not bothered to look at the evidence in an honest and rational manner. Some opponents even accept evolution within a species which they label 'micro-evolution', but 'macro-evolution' is simply micro-evolution over a much longer period of time, which results is a much greater and noticeable change.

Feel free to add any particulars to support evolution in this thread.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Your post is perfectly valid, but I think the problem is that creationists don't accept the fossil record in the sense that you (and science) describe it: http://www.creationism.org/topbar/fossils.htm

They're starting from such a biased and irrational position (Biblical inerrancy) that no amount of evidence is going to convince them otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Those taxonomical trees turned out to be fairly accurate once genetic analysis became advanced enough to compare DNA and protein sequences, which can compare species by the similarity of those molecules. We don't have much in the way of ancient DNA or protein sequences (Some have been discovered or inferred from some very particular fossils, actually!), but the resulting Phylogenetic trees lend further weight to the type of thing dlofnep has mentioned above. Some minor changes were necessary as it turned out that some species are slightly misclassified, but on the whole genomic analysis gives very strong evidence that we're on the right track with the concept of evolution. It helps confirm what science already suspected was very likely.

A lot of my work involves studying the similarities of secondary metabolism in different bacteria; chemical pathways that aren't necessary for a cell to survive, but which still confer some useful advantages like the ability to produce antibiotics that kill off competitors. These pathways evolved from other, more essential pathways thanks to the imperfections of genetic replication. Here's a paper that explains a fair amount about how polyketide synthase (they produce several antibiotics) genes evolved from fatty acid synthesis genes in bacteria. There are some pretty pictures that show what I mean, if you're not biochemically or microbiologically inclined. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Concise and all as your post is, dlofnep, as soon as this thread turns in a second evolution v creationism thread (and it will) it'll be locked and the crazy-talk posts deleted.

If it's consolation I can still link to it in one of the stickies for reference. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Dades wrote: »
    Concise and all as your post is, dlofnep, as soon as this thread turns in a second evolution v creationism thread (and it will) it'll be locked and the crazy-talk posts deleted.

If it's consolation I can still link to it in one of the stickies for reference. :)

I think that's a good idea, the first post really is an excellent introduction to evolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This thread would go nicely with this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That thread is great, if you don't mind me saying so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

OP. You're on a hididng to nothing really. Generally speaking, open minded, scientificaly thinking type people already "believe" in evolution. I say "believe" cos it's not really a belief if you can show evidence!
    As for creationists, well let's call a spade a spade - they're fúcking headcases! As with any religious belief, the old mysterious ways, is their get out of jail free card. "The fossils are there to test our faith" Do you mean to test the faith that your omnipotent creator made and really shouldn't need to test, after all it's his fault if it doesn't work, does he not guarantee his work or what! Eh, well he works in mysterious ways - yes he certainly does!!
    I think a big stumbling block people have with evoultion, and particularly abiogenises (i personally think the 2 are inextricably linked) is that life is some mysterious thing that needs magic to explain it. I personally think the line between living and not living things is not as clear cut as some might imagine, therfore it's a very small leap of faith, if you will, to say that life could well have evolved from non life, without any need for magic - take a look at this talk when you have a few minutes - i found it absolutely fascinating (it's not any new age crystals are alive bullshít by the way, it's real life science by a real life scientician:D)

http://www.ted.com/talks/martin_hanczyc_the_line_between_life_and_not_life.html?quote=1159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

One thing I've always been curious about is whether the moment that one group of animals becomes distinct from another group - that is, becomes a distinct species - has ever been observed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Amtmann wrote: »
    the moment that one group of animals becomes distinct from another group - that is, becomes a distinct species - has ever been observed.
    Have a read up on Ring Species:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species

Indeed - Ring Species is a perfect example of speciation in action. You just have to first define what a species actually is. The most widely used is the biological species concept, which basically states that a natural population of interbreeding individuals is a species.

The reasons for this was because with certain creatures like birds and insects, it's sometimes almost impossible to find any discernible differences between two different species from a visual standpoint. One study highlighted in Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne looked at an insect (name evades me right now) that looked identical to it's neighbouring insect, but couldn't mate with it. So at first glance, outside of the BSC - they would have been classed as the exact same species. But that's where the BSC shines.

That's essentially what you're talking about with Ring Species. The Californian salamanders are a great example. I'm sure they are on the wiki page for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

I know I'm going to get beaten up and shouted down and possibly called some names for this but the Cambrian Explosion sort of turns Darwin's Tree of life on its head doesn't it, whatever evidence there is to support Darwin's theory - and I admit there is good evidence for it - but the Cambrian Explosion has to be a major blow to it surely. If you disagree then can you explain how the Cambrian Explosion supports Darwin's theory? This is not a jab, I'd really like to know your thoughts. Now before you say that organisms that came before those found in the Cambrian period were too soft bodied to have left fossils, there have been fossils found of very soft bodied organisms in layers beneath the Cambrian, so if fossils of soft bodied creatures have been found there then why hasn't any harder bodied direct precursors to Cambrian creatures been found also? If Darwin's theory is really true then you'd expect these no?

You don't have to quote my OP to ask a question. It clutters the thread up. And nobody is going to beat anyone up for asking questions. So long as the question is intellectually honest, I have no problems with them.

The Cambrian explosion does nothing to impact the theory of evolution by natural selection. Firstly it's important to understand that contrary to popular creationist belief, it did not happen suddenly. It was a short period of time in the geological time-scale, but on a human time-scale, it was an immensely long period of time. In the order of millions of years.

As I stated in my original post - the fossil record isn't the only evidence for Evolution. It is not a step-by-step account of every single species that has every lived. It is snap-shots of certain periods, based on the fossils that we have found so far. The further back you go, especially at earlier periods of life - the looser the record becomes.

The reality is - we have a period of 100's of millions of years where the fossil record is quite compelling, and demonstrates the advancement of all of today's major animal groups - like fish, amphibians, reptiles, mammals and birds. Jerry Coyne probably said it best:
    many animals and plants do not show up as fossils until well after the Cambrian explosion: bony fishes and land plants first appeared around 440 million years ago, reptiles around 350 million years ago, mammals around 250 million years ago, flowering plants around 210 million years ago, and human ancestors around 5 million years ago. The staggered appearance of groups that become very different over the next 500 million years gives no support to the notion of instantaneously created species that thereafter remain largely unchanged. If this record does reflect the exertions of an intelligent designer, he was apparently dissatisfied with nearly all of his creations, repeatedly destroying them and creating a new set of species that just happened to resemble descendants of those that he had destroyed.

If you are not convinced by my original post that it gives a solid argument in favour of Evolution being a scientific face, then perhaps you'd care to critique it.

dlofnep wrote: »
    You don't have to quote my OP to ask a question. It clutters the thread up.

I just deleted the quoted OP.
    And nobody is going to beat anyone up for asking questions. So long as the question is intellectually honest, I have no problems with them.

OK
    The Cambrian explosion does nothing to impact the theory of evolution by natural selection. Firstly it's important to understand that contrary to popular creationist belief, it did not happen suddenly. It was a short period of time in the geological time-scale, but on a human time-scale, it was an immensely long period of time. In the order of millions of years.

But according to standard Darwinian principles the changes take place over vast time scales. Is a few hundred million years enough time to get from basic microbial life to the plethora of significantly more advanced organisms found in the Cambrian? If it happened that way then the changes are not really that slow at all. Under the theory you'd expect fewer forms and in a significantly more privative state than are actually found.
    As I stated in my original post - the fossil record isn't the only evidence for Evolution. It is not a step-by-step account of every single species that has every lived. It is snap-shots of certain periods, based on the fossils that we have found so far. The further back you go, especially at earlier periods of life - the looser the record becomes.

Yeah I get that.
    If you are not convinced by my original post that it gives a solid argument in favour of Evolution being a scientific face, then perhaps you'd care to critique it.

Like I said I'm not saying that it hasn't got good evidence to support it, it has, plus I don't have the time - or possibly the adequate know how - to adequately critique your OP, but lets stick to Cambrian Explosion for now. The Cambrian Explosion is at best, evidence that the process works much faster than is predicted by the theory or at worst counts against the theory completely. Can you explain the speed differential at this early epoch compared to other epochs?

Amtmann wrote: »
    One thing I've always been curious about is whether the moment that one group of animals becomes distinct from another group - that is, becomes a distinct species - has ever been observed.

That's not necessarily true.

First of all, the statement is anthropocentric, though admittedly for the good reason that as far as we know humans are the only species on Earth with the capacity to make such an observation and to understand its significance.

Secondly, it is only quite recently in human development that we have acquired the knowledge and the technology to make it possible to observe, record and analyse the significance of a "speciation event". For most of the history of the human species, people might have observed "a moment" when a distinct species occurs - but would not have been able to record and analyse this, or even to understand what they were observing.

Species last a blink of an eye in terms of the age of the Earth, but they last a very long time in terms of human lifespan. Since the dawn of "urban" human civilisation about 11,000 years ago, there have probably been a relatively small number of "speciation events". Unless humans happened to be in the right place at the right time, how would they observe one of those events? And if they did, how could they understand what they were seeing, given their lack of scientific knowledge?

And in any case 11,000 years is too generous a timescale to consider. For most of that, humans didn't really have a clue how species came about, and certainly lacked the scientific know-how and the technology to test and research the subject. We've only had a grasp of the concept of evolution by natural selection for about 150 years, and only had a grasp of what DNA is for about 60 years. That is an absurdly short timescale by reference to the age of the Earth or the lifespan of a species. If you were to pick any 60 year time slot in Earth's history and travel back in time to study in it, you would have to be very lucky indeed to spot and record a "speciation event".

One big problem for anyone trying to get their heads round evolution - and it is a problem with which creationists are terribly afflicted - is that the timescales involved are mind-bogglingly huge. Humans can just about get a feel for a time period of 70 to 100 years, but beyond that we really find it hard to conceptualise the effects of the passing of time. And the timescales involved in evolution are colossal. Thus, one might consider anatomical features such as shells or bones to be too complicated to evolve - until we realise that living things were around for almost 3,000 million years before this development took place.

A good parallel is the area of geology and plate tectonics. Plates (and the land on top of them) move really slowly, typically about 2 or 3 centimetres a year. You wouldn't notice that (though it can be measured), but over a long time it adds up to a lot. It's 65 million years since the extinction of the dinosaurs. In that time, a bit of land will have moved anywhere between 1,300 and 2,000 kilometres across the surface of the Earth.

And that's before we get into any debate about what exactly constitutes a species. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But according to standard Darwinian principles the changes take place over vast time scales. Is a few hundred million years enough time to get from basic microbial life to the plethora of significantly more advanced organisms found in the Cambrian? If it happened that way then the changes are not really that slow at all. Under the theory you'd expect fewer forms and in a significantly more privative state than are actually found.

There was actually a lot more than basic microbial forms plodding around before the Cambrian. There have been many clearly defined members of what is now called 'the animal kingdom' found living long before the 'explosion'.
    I also appears that diversification during the 'explosion' was not particularly quick either.
    There's a good write up on it here (although some terms are bit techy, but should be gooleable enough - although I'm sure some regular posters will be happy to help out):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion#How_real_was_the_explosion.3F

To put it in context, the 'explosion' is usually measured as having lasted between 80 and 100 million years. Consider the giant dinosaurs of the Cretaceous were wiped out in a mass extinction roughly 65 million years ago. At that time the largest/most complex mammals were no bigger than rats. In only 65 million years said mammals have diversified into elephants, humans and even whales that dwarf the largest of dinosaurs.
    Surely the advances evolution made during the 'Cambrian Explosion' don't seem all that spectacular when compared to that which has occurred in the last 65 million years?

But according to standard Darwinian principles the changes take place over vast time scales.

Actually it doesn't. Change can be gradual over long periods of time, or it can be relatively quick over shorter periods of time. (We're talking the geological time scale). One theory discussing this is the theory of Punctuated equilibrium. Essentially it states that a species can have very little change over long periods of time, but when the environment requires adaptation - it can happen a lot quicker.
    Is a few hundred million years enough time to get from basic microbial life to the plethora of significantly more advanced organisms found in the Cambrian? If it happened that way then the changes are not really that slow at all. Under the theory you'd expect fewer forms and in a significantly more privative state than are actually found.

I've already stated that the fossil record is imperfect, and the fossilization process is a very rare event. There are a number of theories as to why life evolved at a much faster rate during the Cambrian explosion.

Let's take a hypothetical scenario. Suppose we have a species. We'll call him Irelanditicus. Irelanditicus spends 10 million years living in the forests of Sahara Africa. It is a successful animal, and because it is successful - it sees relatively little change, if any over those 10 million years.

Then suddenly (over the course of 250,000 years) - the climate dries up, and the forest retreats, leaving grassy plains behind it. The Irelanditicus goes from have a varied diet of fruit, insects and leaves - and is forced now to live on a much plainer diet of grass.

In order to be successful at this - natural selection might favour those who are smaller, have better jaws for chewing the grass, wider teeth, a larger appendix, etc.. So after another 250,000 years - the Irelanditicus sees drastic change and becomes an entirely new species. But looking back at the fossil record, all we see is a species which appears stable over 10 million years, and then suddenly becomes drastically different over 250,000 years. It's only later when we analyse the plant-life and acknowledge the receding of the forests that we understand the pressures that forced this evolution.

So - Evolution doesn't state that all species will evolve at the same rate, or that there is a set period of time that a species must have before it evolves. It is completely arbitrary and solely dependant on a number of conditions and environmental pressures.

I hope this clears it up for you.

The Cambrian Explosion is at best, evidence that the process works much faster than is predicted by the theory or at worst counts against the theory completely. Can you explain the speed differential at this early epoch compared to other epochs?

What speed differential? Originally, it was thought that the speed of evolution and diversification of species was sharply different to other periods, but more modern statistical analysis demonstrates that it wasn't sharply different to what came afterwards. The rate of evolution of new animal species was certainly faster than what went before - but that is to be expected and is consistent with natural selection theory.

What does stand out about the Cambrian Explosion is the surge in species disparity (different shapes, sizes, ecosystem niches and so on). The fact that this was greater than in pre-Cambrian times is (again) to be expected. What makes for an intriguing question is why this disparity levelled off rather than continuing to expand exponentially. However, more recent research suggests that in fact the "surge in disparity" took place over a longer period than the Cambrian Explosion. While the question is intriguing, it hardly amounts to "counting against the theory". It just means that more work has to be done to test the hypotheses and come up with answers.

So - Evolution doesn't state that all species will evolve at the same rate, or that there is a set period of time that a species must have before it evolves. It is completely arbitrary and solely dependant on a number of conditions and environmental pressures.

And in fairness, my point about long timescales might on the face of it seem to contradict the above, but it doesn't. My point is not about how long any specific "bit of evolution" should take to happen - it's about how long a human would have to be around so that a sufficient amount of evolution would take place to make a difference to what they would see in the landscape around them.

And in fairness, my point about long timescales might on the face of it seem to contradict the above, but it doesn't. My point is not about how long any specific "bit of evolution" should take to happen - it's about how long a human would have to be around so that a sufficient amount of evolution would take place to make a difference to what they would see in the landscape around them.

Well, we can witness over a human life in a species that has a very short generational life - like bacteria etc.. But I think what opponents to Evolution want is someone more in their face, like the speciation of a mammal. It's an unrealistic expectation, driven by either ignorance or by intellectual dishonesty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I know I'm going to get beaten up and shouted down and possibly called some names for this but the Cambrian Explosion sort of turns Darwin's Tree of life on its head doesn't it
    No.

• Advertisement

Well, we can witness over a human life in a species that has a very short generational life - like bacteria etc.. But I think what opponents to Evolution want is someone more in their face, like the speciation of a mammal. It's an unrealistic expectation, driven by either ignorance or by intellectual dishonesty.

I think the intellectually dishonest don't really have the unrealistic expectation - but they're smart enough to know how to play to the gallery of the ignorant.

Ironically, looking at species the way we do is both a help and a hindrance.

It helps people to understand the notion that species developed and that evolution by natural selection makes sense as a mechanism for this to happen.

It hinders by creating illusory demands and expectations; a new species appearing before our eyes, a crocodile that turns into a duck, or a never-ending search for missing links. :rolleyes:

We're all missing links, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hmm, I'm getting a warning from trying to click that link, apparently it 'contains content from psdtutorials.org, a site known to distribute malware[...]'.

strobe wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm getting a warning from trying to click that link, apparently it 'contains content from psdtutorials.org, a site known to distribute malware[...]'.

Yep me too.

Weird I visited it the other day (It's the Short History Of Almost Everything thread). Afraid to now though :o

Galvasean wrote: »
    Weird I visited it the other day (It's the Short History Of Almost Everything thread). Afraid to now though :o

Have your read the book? One of my favs (except for the chapter on botany), must read it again sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I was there the other day and it was fine. Having a look now, the only PSD reference I see in the source is Daftendirekt's Stop SOPA Ireland sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Cossax wrote: »
    I was there the other day and it was fine. Having a look now, the only PSD reference I see in the source is Daftendirekt's Stop SOPA Ireland sig.

The warning appears to be gone now in anyway... Not sure what the deal was...

Oh Jesus, what if the malware viruses have evolved to circumnavigate googles warning systems!?

Annnnddd.... thread back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I love this forum.

If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion for this thread, though. I think it would better serve if it was confined to evidence for evolution rather than a debate as it will be quickly swamped by folks like J C and the thread will devolve into a ****fest.

Thanks.

I'm not sure. Having a place where people can ask honest questions about evolution (like SoulWinner did) can only be a good thing IMO. This thread is a great place to learn. Unlike the 'other' thread where one must filter through mounds of waffle to find anything worthwhile.
    Perhaps arrange to move any CSFI related crap to the 'other' thread.

• Advertisement

Like I said - I've no problems with questions, so long as they are intellectually honest. Something certain posters are not capable of doing. Perhaps if a moderator could remove all posters that are not presenting evidence for evolution, or discussing evolution (including this post) - It will make the thread a lot easier to read.

Advertisement