Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

How'd I end up in this thread?
    Oh.. very good Mr. robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Galvasean wrote: »
    How'd I end up in this thread?
    Oh.. very good Mr. robin.
    I think that any questions that I raise that cannot be satisfactorily answered on other threads are being moved to the OSN Thread.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Once again you show how insincere your posts are JC
    What was insincere about that post ... I took your statement ... applied it to yourself ... and pointed to its logical implication!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

J C wrote: »
    ... and the idea that I am 'melting the server' with my posts is surely delusional in view of the capacity of modern computers.

To clarify, I left that part in because I didn't want to leave out half of that bullet point when quoting.

I was merely suggesting you consistently post irrelevant material and repeat the same points over and over again, I'm aware the boards servers can deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So notice how much more active JC becomes when some one posts anything at all on this thread.

Can we all just agree not to reply to him any more? Maybe put up a sign for new arrivals?
    If we ignore him he'll get bored and find somewhere else to troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What was insincere about that post ... I took your statement ... applied it to yourself ... and pointed to its logical implication!!!

You asked what you had expressed, I said trolling, you said that all expression must be trolling. Given you aren't that stupid again you are simply trolling and being insincere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think that any questions that I raise that cannot be satisfactorily answered on other threads are being moved to the OSN Thread.

Remember in the Superman movie, the bad guy General Zod was running around and acting all crazy so Superman had to trap him inside a big sheet of glass and throw it into space? That's this thread. Think of it like a quarantine zone.

PDVD_396.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

That is certainly the impression I would have had about the Skeptic / A & A position ... yet I perceive that am under constant threat of being banned ... even though I always politely state my viewpoint, stay on topic and respond to fellow posters.
    That may be so, but in the six years that I've been (occasionally) reading your posts, I haven't noticed so much as the slightest change in position, tone, knowledge or approach, despite the debate taking place with some very smart people. This is a dialog of the deaf. Furthermore, it ignores rule three of the forum charter which requires posters to contribute, not to soapbox interminably. However, so long as you confine your posts to this thread, you will not be banned (assuming your maintain your current posting style).

That said, I do sincerely wish you would contribute something -- demonstrate that after six years you have at least learned the smallest iota about anything?
    Some fora do impose strict sanctions on alternative opinions
    A position I would find laughable, if I did not find it also contemptible. And one that says far more about the essential worthlessness of the opinion itself, not to mention its propagators who seem to feel that the best way to deal with an opposing point of view is to stick their fingers in their collective ears and go "la, la, can't hear you".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

King Mob wrote: »
    So notice how much more active JC becomes when some one posts anything at all on this thread.

Can we all just agree not to reply to him any more? Maybe put up a sign for new arrivals?
    If we ignore him he'll get bored and find somewhere else to troll.

I have suggested this before but people keep feeding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Morbert wrote: »
    I have suggested this before but people keep feeding him.

When this thread or the BCP one goes quiet JC likes to hijack other more interesting threads that usually add to our knowledge bank. The whole ruckus about the moon landing was because A&A regular Dave posted an excellent link to Phil Plait's blog in the interest stuff thread. JC, not happy with the coverage going on in the BCP and OSN threads decided to invade our gem of a thread.:( So, let this thread and the BCP one be his phantom zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

1279149703799.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Malty_T wrote: »
    When this thread or the BCP one goes quiet JC likes to hijack other more interesting threads that usually add to our knowledge bank. The whole ruckus about the moon landing was because A&A regular Dave posted an excellent link to Phil Plait's blog in the interest stuff thread. JC, not happy with the coverage going on in the BCP and OSN threads decided to invade our gem of a thread.:( So, let this thread and the BCP one be his phantom zone.

But why do people feed him when he wanders into other threads? The users here are fairly regular, and it would be very easy to push JC back to the Christianity forum, or at the very least force him to learn to contribute sensibly to discussion, by simply refusing to entertain him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Or just ban him for trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Morbert wrote: »
    But why do people feed him when he wanders into other threads? The users here are fairly regular, and it would be very easy to push JC back to the Christianity forum, or at the very least force him to learn to contribute sensibly to discussion, by simply refusing to entertain him.

I couldn't agree with you more, as Attenborough himself would say "It's takes a truly special kind of troll to survive for months, seasons and years. These are the trolls who despite their enormous size, frequent attempts at provocation and frustration always manage to entice the humble man or woman's mind into a state of rage so fierce that they cannot resist the temptation of feeding these masters of the internet."

Probably not enough adjectives. :(

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    That is certainly the impression I would have had about the Skeptic / A & A position ... yet I perceive that I am under constant threat of being banned ... even though I always politely state my viewpoint, stay on topic and respond to fellow posters.

Robin
    That may be so, but in the six years that I've been (occasionally) reading your posts, I haven't noticed so much as the slightest change in position, tone, knowledge or approach, despite the debate taking place with some very smart people. This is a dialog of the deaf.
    If it is a dialog of the deaf ... then there are 'deaf' people on both sides of this debate.
    I certainly have learned many things ... and I have no doubt that you guys are indeed very intelligent and eminent people in your own fields of expertise.
    wrote:
    Robin
    Furthermore, it ignores rule three of the forum charter which requires posters to contribute, not to soapbox interminably.
    ... where have I 'soapboxed'? ... I have directly addressed your postings, I have given my views, pointed out what I consider to be flaws in your conclusions ... and backed up my assertions with evidence ... what more do you want?

wrote:
    Robin
    However, so long as you confine your posts to this thread, you will not be banned (assuming your maintain your current posting style).
    This really intrigues me ... why do you want me to confine my posts to this thread ... why do you fear what I have to say so much that you want to keep me quarantined on this thread?

Quarantine is compulsory isolation, to contain the spread of something considered to be dangerous ... so what is so dangerous about what I have to say?
    ... is the Materialist case so weak that you fear that one person can bring it down single-handedly?

... if it isn't that weak, then why do you fear my contributions to other threads on your forum?

wrote:
    Robin
    That said, I do sincerely wish you would contribute something -- demonstrate that after six years you have at least learned the smallest iota about anything?
    I have learned a lot about about the materialist case over the past six years ... as I'm sure you also have done.
    I have also tried my best to contribute to any thread that I have posted on.
    With over 700 thousand views over on the BCP thread ... and this thread rapidly approaching 90 thousand ... many, many other people don't seem to share your view that I have contributed nothing to these threads, given the fact that I am the main proponent of the Creationist case on these threads!!!!

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    Some fora do impose strict sanctions on alternative opinions

Robin
    A position I would find laughable, if I did not find it also contemptible. And one that says far more about the essential worthlessness of the opinion itself, not to mention its propagators who seem to feel that the best way to deal with an opposing point of view is to stick their fingers in their collective ears and go "la, la, can't hear you".
    ... your liberal attitude would be commendable were it not for the fact that you are doing something very similar yourself by confining me to this one thread on your forum!!!
    ... is your objective in doing so, not the exact same as these other fora ... the protection of their/your cherished beliefs from any real challenge ?

Challenge LOL

Challenge LOL

I'm not sure which to believe..

tumblr_lef7qnONry1qcbrp0o1_400.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11477&g2_serialNumber=2

strobe wrote: »
    Remember in the Superman movie, the bad guy General Zod was running around and acting all crazy so Superman had to trap him inside a big sheet of glass and throw it into space? That's this thread. Think of it like a quarantine zone.
    PDVD_396.jpg
    ... so why do you consider my questions to be so dangerous to the materialist case ... that you want to effectively 'gag' me here on this thread?

Not dangerous or challenging J C, just infantile, annoying and previously dealt with.

Not dangerous or challenging J C, just infantile, annoying and previously dealt with.

+1

• Advertisement

Challenge LOL
    ... one minute you're laughing ... the next minute others are calling for me to be banned ... or to be quarantined ... because my questions are such a threat to your worldview that they could completely destroy it !!!!

... lads ... just face it ... Materialism doesn't 'cut it' ... when it comes to the 'origins issue'!!!

... I feel your pain ... I once was an Evolutionist too ... and it took me years to finally accept that God exists ... and created everything that exists!!!

... one minute you're laughing ... the next minute you are calling for me to be banned ...

Who me? Point out where I called for you to be banned or apologize immediately for talking out of your ass.

Who me? Point out where I called for you to be banned or apologize immediately for talking out of your ass.

I think he's talking about 'materialists' in general

That's just wishful thinking!!!
    ... I have given mathematical proof that an Intelligence of Divine proportions exists ... and that is the ultimate nightmare for a committed Materialist.

... please don't run away ... and don't shoot (or quarantine) the messenger!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

dIQATt

liamw wrote: »
    I think he's talking about 'materialists' in general
    .. my apologies ... Galvasean just laughed ... and it was the others who cried ... troll!!!

I accept your apology.

dIQATt
    ... moving gradually from something simple like from red to blue type isn't what is supposed to have happened with the abiogenesis and the evolution of life ...
    ... which is the equivalent of spontaneously producing a 30 million page encyclopedia (3 billion letters with 100 letters per page) ... with practically no typos ... and every article perfectly co-ordinated and cross-referenced with every other article!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

... which is the equivalent of spontaneously producing a 30 million page encyclopedia (3 billion letters with 100 letters per page) ... with practically no typos!!!!

Millions of people each year die from hereditary illness.
    That's a pretty major typo tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

... moving gradually from something simple like from red to blue type isn't what is supposed to have happened with the abiogenesis and the evolution of life ...
    ... which is the equivalent of spontaneously producing a 30 million page encyclopedia (3 billion letters with 100 letters per page) ... with practically no typos ... and every article perfectly co-ordinated and cross-referenced with every other article!!!!

No, it isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement