Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why do you guys still reply to JC?
    i was bored last night. i last three posts, not bad going.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

This thread being permanently top of the list here must put a lot of people off hanging around A&A...

Oh. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Dave! wrote: »
    Thought I posted Phil Plait's article in the 'interesting stuff' thread anyway?

He was just trying to pull you into an argument by pretending to be a completely moron who doesn't understand how vacuums and temperature work.

He doesn't actually believe the crap he posts, but he knows it's so painfully stupid people will be very tempted to point out the massive flaws in the post.

It's quite sad that he had to either go to a different thread or go back a lot of pages to do that.

He must have been getting bored and lonely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thought I posted Phil Plait's article in the 'interesting stuff' thread anyway?
    Yes, I bumped it over here earlier on this morning to keep it in context. Hope you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Back to the topic, it looks like Mr. Lenihan will have plenty of time on his hands to appear at any more book releases the author has..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

This is ridiculous...
    Why do you think it is ridiculous?

... this teacher is having a hard time reconciling his scientific views (on Creation) with the current law requiring that evolution is the only viewpoint that can be taught.

... he is in a similar dilemma (for the opposite reasons) as John T Scopes was in over 80 years ago ... he had a hard time reconciling his scientific views (on Evolution) with the law, at the time, requiring that Evolution couldn't be taught.

The irony is that they both are/were teachers in Dayton, Tennessee.

I think that both John T Scopes and this science teacher are correct ... and, for a complete education on the matter, they should be allowed to teach both the Creation/ID and the Spontaneous Abiogenesis / Evolution hypotheses.

I freely admit that the law banning the teaching of Human Evolution under which John T Scopes was charged and convicted was an illiberal piece of counter-productive legislation ... but I also think that the current law requiring that Evolution be the only hypothesis taught in public schools in Tennessee is also illiberal ... and possibly will be just as counter-productive, from an evolutionist perspective, as the original law turned out to be from a Creationist perspective.

It's certainly currently providing plenty of employment opportunities for Creation Scientists ... who are teaching children Creation Science privately throughout America and beyond.

It's a truism ... that banning a viewpoint often makes people even more determined to promote it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

J C wrote: »
    Why do you think it is ridiculous?

Do you google "boards.ie creationism'?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Do you google "boards.ie creationism'?
    So banning Creation Science in American Public Schools now is somehow more 'liberal' than banning the Evolution Hypotheses in the 1920's?

... if we stop banning the free exchange of ideas ... and start behaving with respect towards other peoples viewpoints ... everybody might be all the more enlightened as a result!!!

Once again J C, you ignore the point proposed to you.
    Same bull, different thread.

Once again J C, you ignore the point proposed to you.
    Same bull, different thread.
    ... you could say that!!!
    ... I prefer to describe it as the same lack of substantive answers by Evolutionists ... when their illiberalism and ideas are challenged.

We are living in a liberal society that respects all viewpoints and doesn't discriminate on the basis of religious belief.
    I think that it is healthy to challenge other ideas ... and in turn be challenged on our own.

• Advertisement

Call it what you will J C. Your perceptions do not alter reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can we not just ban him? Trolling, spamming, whatever?

Plant some drugs on him if ya have to

Call it what you will J C. Your perceptions do not alter reality.
    Perhaps ... but, just like Dr Martin Luther King said, "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

If and when Evoluion and Creation are accorded equal status, both Evolutionists and Creationists will learn many things from each other through a mutually respectful and free exchange of ideas.

Can we not just ban him? Trolling, spamming, whatever?

Plant some drugs on him if ya have to
    Is this where we find ourselves in the 21st Century ... silencing other viewpoints ... even to the point of planting criminal evidence in order to do so?

Where now for the Boards.ie slogan "now ye'er talkin"???

Challenge me, by all means ... tell me where I am wrong ... and even if I don't accept what you say, if you are right, everyone else will know the truth.

This thread is entitled 'The Hazards of Belief' ... and one of the hazards of any belief (including my own) is that some day we will find an insurmountable challenge to it ... and if this occurs, I say, so be it !!!

... however, if we filter and suppress all challenges to our own cherished beliefs, then we are never going to learn if we are mistaken in our ideas ... and we may go on living on the basis of a false premise!!!

Atheists and Materialists regularly visit the Christianity Forum ... and regularly post thought-provoking challenges to the Christian Faith ... and I find this to be intellectually stimulating rather than something that should be silenced.
    Surely this should also be the case ... when I visit you guys?

Ending up like J C, the true hazard of belief.

Ending up like J C, the true hazard of belief.
    No ... by far the greatest hazard of belief is when somebody decides to impose their belief on others or silences people of other beliefs from expressing their ideas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Atheists and Materialists regularly visit the Christianity Forum ... and regularly post thought-provoking challenges to the Christian Faith

And regularly get banned for trolling. You posting on Boards.ie is a privilege not a right, one you consistently abuse.

Wicknight wrote: »
    And regularly get banned for trolling. You posting on Boards.ie is a privilege not a right, one you consistently abuse.
    I would certainly contest the idea that freedom of thought is a privilege and not a right ... but be that as it may ... I have not abused either my rights or my privileges on the Boards.

I have posted on topic, I have robustly challenged ideas when I have thought that a challenge was necessary ... and in turn, I have had my ideas also robustly challenged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Is this where we find ourselves in the 21st Century ... silencing other viewpoints
    Since this forum was set up, no viewpoint, politely stated, has been silenced.

You will find that in most religious forums, ideological censorship varies from mild to total.

I think Matthew had something useful to say about specks, planks and eyes.

I would certainly contest the idea that freedom of thought is a privilege and not a right

Boards.ie is a private organisation and has no legal nor moral requirement to indulge your "freedom of thought". You are invited to become a member of this website and invited to post here and as such it is a privilege to do so, one you should respect rather than dishonor.

No one is stopping you from forming your own private enterprise to publicly express your views with regard to any subject you like. Many disgruntled Boards.ie members have done so in the past.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Since this forum was set up, no viewpoint, politely stated, has been silenced.
    That is certainly the impression I would have had about the Skeptic / A & A position ... yet I perceive that am under constant threat of being banned ... even though I always politely state my viewpoint, stay on topic and respond to fellow posters.
    robindch wrote: »
    You will find that in most religious forums, ideological censorship varies from mild to total.

I think Matthew had something useful to say about specks, planks and eyes.
    I cannot speak for any forum, nor do I want to.
    Some fora do impose strict sanctions on alternative opinions ... but I should have thought that free-thinking A & A people wouldn't see this as the standard to which they would aspire??

Boards.ie is a private organisation and has no legal nor moral requirement to indulge your "freedom of thought". You are invited to become a member of this website and invited to post here and as such it is a privilege to do so, one you should respect rather than dishonor.

No one is stopping you from forming your own private enterprise to publicly express your views with regard to any subject you like. Many disgruntled Boards.ie members have done so in the past.
    Could you please tell me which 'freedoms of thought' that I have expressed are not allowed on the Boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Could you please tell me which 'freedoms of thought' that I have expressed are not allowed on the Boards.ie?
    You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:
    *post irrelevant Material, repeatedly post the same or similar Material or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Boards.ie servers or infrastructure

But no point playing the victim yet, you're still here, despite this.

No ... by far the greatest hazard of belief is when somebody decides to impose their belief on others or silences people of other beliefs from expressing their ideas!!

The very fact that you are allowed to continue to post on boards.ie shows that you are not being unfairly silenced (despite your transgressions).

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Pygmalion
    Quote:
    You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:
    *post irrelevant Material, repeatedly post the same or similar Material or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Boards.ie servers or infrastructure."

But no point playing the victim yet, you're still here, despite this.
    So you have no example of where I abused 'free speech' ...

... and nearly everything I have posted has been in response to sombody else's posting ... and if they are repeating what they have said themselves, or what somebody else has posted ... how can I be responsible for that?
    ... and you guys routinely accuse me of not answering postings ... even when I have done so repeatedly elsewhere on the thread ... and now, you say I am repeating myself, when I do answer a repeated question.
    ... so according to your logic I'm damned if I do answer ... and I am damned if I don't answer !!!

... and the idea that I am 'melting the server' with my posts is surely delusional in view of the capacity of modern computers.
    ... and as there is voluminous postings from hundreds of other people over on the 'mega-thread' ... it is also delusional to go blaming me for the size of that thread, as well!!!

The very fact that you are allowed to continue to post on boards.ie shows that you are not being unfairly silenced (despite your transgressions).
    What transgressions???

... and why am I being threatened with being banned on spurious unfounded grounds ... like being a troll or a spammer ... when I do not engage in such activity???

The "freedom of thought" that is trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

What transgressions???

... and why am I being threatened with being banned on spurious unfounded grounds ... like being a troll or a spammer ... when I do not engage in such activity???
    Aww... that's adorable.

The "freedom of thought" that is trolling.
    ... so 'freedom of thought' is trolling ... on that basis all free-thinkers should be banned for trolling ... you first, Wicknight !!!:(

I must say that I am genuinely surprised at the lack of defense of cherished materialistic assumptions on these threads ... and the general default of asking that I be silenced ... rather than presenting any evidence/opinion in support of your positions.

Most materialists that I personally know, are open-minded people who value freedom of thought ... and don't 'cry off' when faced with valid questions about their ideas.

• Advertisement

... so 'freedom of thought' is trolling ... on that basis all free-thinkers should be banned for trolling ... you first, Wicknight !!!:(

Once again you show how insincere your posts are JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement