Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O' Connor's article about his daughter in the Sindo

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Read it, nothing noteworthy about it. A whiny dickhead has what he sees as a problem. Meh.
    I think it's disingenuous to view it as merely a subjective problem - I'd imagine anyone, whose new baby has Down's syndrome, is going to be gripped with anxiety and sorrow due to the difficult reality they're facing, and moreso what their child is facing.

Personaly, while I wouldn't agree with people who can't stand his media persona suddenly having "respect" for him as a journo because of this, I don't really see why there's a need for a complete lack of empathy and understanding of his situation either, just because of his media persona.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I have no opinions of Brendan O Connor (I'm not familiar with him at all), so what I'm about to say is actually unbiased.

I didn't think it was a good article. I thought it was poorly laid out, sloppily written and not particularly engaging. It probably was "straight from the heart" as some of you put it, but it still didn't make for interesting reading for me (mind you I only got halfway through it). It also strikes a nerve with me how often he says stuff along the lines of, "How naive I was/how foolish of me/if only I knew two weeks ago what I know now" etc - like he's suddenly some all-knowing expert on DS. She's only 2 weeks old and already he's writing things like:
    It still upsets me a lot to think about that half-hour, but images from it are burned on my brain

It's the kind of thing you expect to hear from someone who's child is many years older, who's dealt with more than the first 2 weeks of life.

All that said, I do think that Mary will teach him a lot. Everybody I know who has a relative with down's syndrome says they are so full of love and joy.

Advertisement