Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best android phone on the market to get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I have both phones and use them both fairly regularly.

I thought it was your father has the SGS.

There is as big difference between messing about with your old mans phone the odd time and actually using a phone as your primary device.

I also have an SGS, i've never had any lag problems, it does everything I want the device to do very well.

For me the primary function of these smartphones (besides being a phone) is to allow me do most of the things I do on my desktop on the move, surf the web, social media, games, email etc. I dont get the obsession with installing custom roms, to be honest I would say it is a very small proportion of power users who would have any interest in the world of custom roms.

The only thing you mention in your list of any interest to the average user is rooting to get access to the market. Which is pretty trivial on the SGS.

Do you think the average or even above average android user would give a toss about any of whats listed below.

NANO and BASH shell support for those into Linux
    Busybox
    Trackpad wake + The ability to choose what you reboot to (I.e. Reboot to recovery e.t.c.)
    Open VPN
    Perflock and CPU governors which can save battery power and provide much better CPU scaling.
    CIFS
    DSP Manager -> Equalizer and Compressor
    Ad blocking
    Custom boot animations
    Overclocking to 1.382GHz (Desire)
    Running a full Linux distro within Android

I have ubuntu linux installed on a partion of my desktop and I never use it why the hell would I want a full linux distro on my phone.

The Google Android OS has hidden its linux derived core for a good reason, the average person is not interested in it.

To be honest the only thing that would make the SGS better for me would be a flash, not for photos but as a torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Motjida wrote: »
    I think everyone gets you like the Desire over the SGS, and fair play to you, it's the beauty of having Android on many different handsets, there's a lot to choose from.
    Ok.
    But again, as a voice on the android board (one I'm beginning to question), telling new users not to buy the SGS, based on your limited experience and the fact that most of the bugs you've encountered aren't happening for most people, is just plain stupid.
    Limited experience? I've used the phone for many, many hours and have reflashed it about 6 times now trying to find a stable ROM. None are bug free but some are better than others. The thing is that for many new Galaxy S owners is that it's their first ever Android phone and they have nothing to gauge it against. They think "Wow, look at that, amazing" not knowing how it stands relative to other Android phones. The bugs I mentioned are well documented all over the internet particularly XDA.
    GPS is another well documented annoyance with the phone (So bad it's useless)
    The SGS is a great phone, and the difference between that and the Desire more or less comes down to the choice between Sense and TouchWiz, and either can be easily replaced should you wish to do so.
    I wish it were only that. Development for the Galaxy S is almost non-existant.
    The problem IS that people are listening to him, he comes off as very ill-informed and is very much misrepresenting the Galaxy S.
    Sorry to offend you by talking ill of a phone you happen to like. To be honest though, I would think that owning both phones I would be able to give something much more than "very ill-informed" opinions but c'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

leahcim wrote: »

There is as big difference between messing about with your old mans phone the odd time and actually using a phone as your primary device.

I also have an SGS, i've never had any lag problems, it does everything I want the device to do very well.

For me the primary function of these smartphones (besides being a phone) is to allow me do most of the things I do on my desktop on the move, surf the web, social media, games, email etc. I dont get the obsession with installing custom roms, to be honest I would say it is a very small proportion of power users who would have any interest in the world of custom roms.

The only thing you mention in your list of any interest to the average user is rooting to get access to the market. Which is pretty trivial on the SGS.

Do you think the average or even above average android user would give a toss about any of whats listed below.

NANO and BASH shell support for those into Linux
    Busybox
    Trackpad wake + The ability to choose what you reboot to (I.e. Reboot to recovery e.t.c.)
    Open VPN
    Perflock and CPU governors which can save battery power and provide much better CPU scaling.
    CIFS
    DSP Manager -> Equalizer and Compressor
    Ad blocking
    Custom boot animations
    Overclocking to 1.382GHz (Desire)
    Running a full Linux distro within Android

I have ubuntu linux installed on a partion of my desktop and I never use it why the hell would I want a full linux distro on my phone.

The Google Android OS has hidden its linux derived core for a good reason, the average person is not interested in it.

To be honest the only thing that would make the SGS better for me would be a flash, not for photos but as a torch.

Well said and I agree with every word. I wouldn't give a damn about any of those you list and the average Joe Bloggs wouldn't either.

He is misrepresenting the SGS, I again have no issues with lag and I think the phone is solid and I much prefer it to anything else.

The market issue is hardly their fault anyway.

Ok.

Limited experience? I've used the phone for many, many hours and have reflashed it about 6 times now trying to find a stable ROM. None are bug free but some are better than others. The thing is that for many new Galaxy S owners is that it's their first ever Android phone and they have nothing to gauge it against. They think "Wow, look at that, amazing" not knowing how it stands relative to other Android phones. The bugs I mentioned are well documented all over the internet particularly XDA.

Sorry to offend you by talking ill of a phone you happen to like. To be honest though, I would think that owning both phones I would be able to give something much more than "very ill-informed" opinions but c'est la vie.

Does your father ever get the chance to actually use the phone?

angel01 wrote: »
    Does your father ever get the chance to actually use the phone?
    :rolleyes:

To answer the question truthfully, he spends most of the time asking me to fix niggling issues with GPS reception and random issues with WiFi so i'd say no.

Seriously, why bother asking such pointless questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Motjida

Ok.

I consider myself to be well versed in the Android universe, and going by your definitions I know the Desire as the back of my hand as my colleague at work owns it and I've had the chance to play around with it every now and then for the past months...

I've been using the SGS as my primary phone for well over a month now and I've yet to see ANY issue bar the lag issue, which I mentioned earlier is pretty much non existent post JM1.

Either you're doing something wrong, or you've gotten a bad batch of the phone (which could've happened, it's not uncommon for phones).

I also frequent the XDA board's and it's not even close to being as bad as you make it out to be, primarily we're talking about the lag issue and the GPS issue, both of which are fixed for most users (though a few still report issues).

And once again, there developer community for the SGS is large, not as large as the Desire (given the Desire has a few months on the SGS), but it's there and it's thriving. Most people are waiting for the FroYo source to really get cracking on the Custom Roms and the like.

Finally, as I said in a previous post, you are the only one in this thread with horror stories about the SGS, everyone else is positive, makes me even more inclined to think you're doing something wrong, or have a phone from a bad batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Development for the Galaxy S is almost non-existant

What are you talking about, WTF do you think samsung does.

What you say just doesn't make sense. If the desire is so fantastic why do you need to install non stock roms.

I use it daily and am constantly trying out custom ROMs to try and get something decent running on the phone. He's constantly giving out about the phone seeing as I foolishly recommended him to buy a SGS a month ago.
    Really? The majority of the other owners of the SGS seem to have lag issues. I'd think having three lag fixes being released a few weeks after a phone's release as many reviews mentioning lag problems mean that this is a very real issue (Slashgear for example).
    It's not only power users who use custom ROMs. The SGS is the one device that needs custom ROMs and it's lacking in that department. Samsung's stock ROM is shoddy and they would have done better leaving it as stock AOSP.
    People who spend ~€500 on a smartphone generally attempt to use it to it's full potential. Your fault if you don't want to.
    Certainly would.

NANO and BASH shell support for those into Linux - Those who run Linux on their computers would use this quite a lot.
    Busybox - Needed for almost every rooted app like titanium backup
    Trackpad wake + The ability to choose what you reboot to (I.e. Reboot to recovery e.t.c.) - Much handier than pushing power to wake
    Open VPN - Enterprise users absolutely need this
    Perflock and CPU governors which can save battery power and provide much better CPU scaling. - With battery life as poor as it is that's a pretty useful feature.
    CIFS - Makes media streaming work flawlessly
    DSP Manager -> Equalizer and Compressor - Gives you full control over your music like any other MP3 player
    Ad blocking - Need I say any more?
    Custom boot animations - Who wouldn't?
    Overclocking to 1.382GHz (Desire) - Not for your average user but who wouldn't mind extra speed?
    Running a full Linux distro within Android - Many people would love something like that.
    They all have practical reasons applicable to the average user. Just because you don't know how they benefit the typical user does not mean they offer no benefit. Educate yourself on how your phone works and see how it is.
    /facepalm
    I don't think many people would be interested in looking at a bare Linux kernel. It's Linux, there is no one look or feel for Linux, nothing's being hidden.
    Great but many others don't hold the same views.
    Well said and I agree with every word. I wouldn't give a damn about any of those you list and the average Joe Bloggs wouldn't either.
    Only because you are still new to Android and (Sorry) haven't got the faintest idea what most of those features mean for the typical user.
    He is misrepresenting the SGS, I again have no issues with lag and I think the phone is solid and I much prefer it to anything else.
    No issues with lag? Coming from a Nokia N95 you would call it brilliant, coming from another similarly specced Android phone you would call it as laggy as a commodore 64

The market issue is hardly their fault anyway.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about, WTF do you think samsung does.
    Develop stock firmwares for their phones obviously. I amn't talking about stock development. After-market development is what I mean. Poor support from the developer community.
    What you say just doesn't make sense. If the desire is so fantastic why do you need to install non stock roms.
    To add new features to make it even greater and even better suited to your needs. It works fine out of the box, some prefer to fine tune it to their tastes in look and functionality. That's simply not possible on the Galaxy S (At least not on the same level as the Desire)
    I consider myself to be well versed in the Android universe, and going by your definitions I know the Desire as the back of my hand as my colleague at work owns it and I've had the chance to play around with it every now and then for the past months...
    Excuse me? I've been attempting to code a PSFreedom port for the Galaxy S for a good while now and i've had to research the phone in and out. My father is so pissed off with the phone that he just leaves it to me and tells me to try and get it's issues sorted out. I don't think "Ah shure g'is a go of yer Desire there" and flicking through it's homescreens counts counts as knowing it as the back of your hand.
    I've been using the SGS as my primary phone for well over a month now and I've yet to see ANY issue bar the lag issue, which I mentioned earlier is pretty much non existent post JM1.
    I doubt it. The lag issue is universal and tell me one thing, how useful is the GPS?
    Either you're doing something wrong, or you've gotten a bad batch of the phone (which could've happened, it's not uncommon for phones).
    Doubt i'm doing anything wrong and my sister also has a SGS and it suffers the same issues. (Both wanted a Desire like mine but thanks to the stock issue...)
    I also frequent the XDA board's and it's not even close to being as bad as you make it out to be, primarily we're talking about the lag issue and the GPS issue, both of which are fixed for most users (though a few still report issues).
    Why were they necessary? Does Samsung release shoddy half baked products and expect "power users" to fix their phones themselves?
    And once again, there developer community for the SGS is large, not as large as the Desire (given the Desire has a few months on the SGS), but it's there and it's thriving. Most people are waiting for the FroYo source to really get cracking on the Custom Roms and the like.
    I wouldn't call three ROMs in almost 2 months thriving tbh.
    Finally, as I said in a previous post, you are the only one in this thread with horror stories about the SGS, everyone else is positive, makes me even more inclined to think you're doing something wrong, or have a phone from a bad batch.
    As I said earlier. If you're going from any other dumbphone or a Nokia N95 for example to the SGS you'll be wowed and thrilled with the phone as relative to the N95 it's brilliant. If you're coming from another Android phone of similar spec you're going to be severely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I consider myself to be well versed in the Android universe, ........

not sure borrowing a buddies Desire would make you well versed in the Android world - I don't count myself as well versed but I would say party has probably got the most hands on experience of both devices and seems to have a lot of Android knowhow
    Finally, as I said in a previous post, you are the only one in this thread with horror stories about the SGS, everyone else is positive,........

Beg to differ....I don't see any dodgy stories about the Desire but I do see some about SGS....doesn't matter who they are from as they are still stories

IMHO - I have only held the SGS for a little while but it definitely seemed laggy for me and a call took about 2 seconds to hook up on one occasion and also I found it to be a bit flimsy in its build and very plastic feeling - not horror stories I know but all the same they are stories. also if you do any research and look at other Android sites you will see reports of lag and GPS issues and in general just stuff that should not be happening on a phone of this quality. Samsung just let a product get out to market before they were sure it would work 99.99% of the time.
    The only reason I would recommend the SGS is if the stock of Desires were to dry up completely also might even suggest that the SGS is number 3 on the list of smartphones after Desire and the other fruity type of phone we all love to hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

There is one smashed SGS screen horror tale on here, none for the Desire, which seems to like to throw itself down stairs and off bikes etc.

Sorry, just thought I 'd throw that in there. :pac:

Excuse me? I've been attempting to code a PSFreedom port for the Galaxy S for a good while now and i've had to research the phone in and out. My father is so pissed off with the phone that he just leaves it to me and tells me to try and get it's issues sorted out. I don't think "Ah shure g'is a go of yer Desire there" and flicking through it's homescreens counts counts as knowing it as the back of your hand.

Heh, it's not rocket science you know
    I doubt it. The lag issue is universal and tell me one thing, how useful is the GPS?

I've never applied any lagfixes and only ever flashed stock internal roms (JM1+), and the lag for me is non-existent, you can doubt that all you want, I don't care.

I've no issues with GPS at all, it's accurate and get's a lock in seconds. I use it for fun on the way home from work and it does turn by turn navigation just fine.
    Doubt i'm doing anything wrong and my sister also has a SGS and it suffers the same issues. (Both wanted a Desire like mine but thanks to the stock issue...)

Your sister has it now too, how convenient...
    Why were they necessary? Does Samsung release shoddy half baked products and expect "power users" to fix their phones themselves?

**** happens, and post JM1 internal firmwares are all pretty much lag free.
    I wouldn't call three ROMs in almost 2 months thriving tbh.
    What part of "waiting for FroYo source" don't you get?

I've never applied any lagfixes and only ever flashed stock internal roms (JM1+), and the lag for me is non-existent, you can doubt that all you want, I don't care.

I've no issues with GPS at all, it's accurate and get's a lock in seconds. I use it for fun on the way home from work and it does turn by turn navigation just fine.

I am not sure where the coming from a N95 came from either :confused: I came from a HD2 :)

You are wasting your energy, it is sad that people have a vendetta against a phone that is selling like hot cakes world wide!

JustinOval wrote: »
    There is one smashed SGS screen horror tale on here, none for the Desire, which seems to like to throw itself down stairs and off bikes etc.

You would want to be more careful I would have thought :D

I use it daily and am constantly trying out custom ROMs to try and get something decent running on the phone. He's constantly giving out about the phone seeing as I foolishly recommended him to buy a SGS a month ago.

Really? The majority of the other owners of the SGS seem to have lag issues. I'd think having three lag fixes being released a few weeks after a phone's release as many reviews mentioning lag problems mean that this is a very real issue (Slashgear for example).

It's not only power users who use custom ROMs. The SGS is the one device that needs custom ROMs and it's lacking in that department. Samsung's stock ROM is shoddy and they would have done better leaving it as stock AOSP.

People who spend ~€500 on a smartphone generally attempt to use it to it's full potential. Your fault if you don't want to.

They all have practical reasons applicable to the average user. Just because you don't know how they benefit the typical user does not mean they offer no benefit. Educate yourself on how your phone works and see how it is.

/facepalm

I don't think many people would be interested in looking at a bare Linux kernel. It's Linux, there is no one look or feel for Linux, nothing's being hidden.

Great but many others don't hold the same views.

Only because you are still new to Android and (Sorry) haven't got the faintest idea what most of those features mean for the typical user.

No issues with lag? Coming from a Nokia N95 you would call it brilliant, coming from another similarly specced Android phone you would call it as laggy as a commodore 64

The market issue is hardly their fault anyway.
    [/QUOTE]

So what now I am relatively stupid because none of those things are important to me or needed by me? :confused::confused:

tui0hcg wrote: »
    not sure borrowing a buddies Desire would make you well versed in the Android world - I don't count myself as well versed but I would say party has probably got the most hands on experience of both devices and seems to have a lot of Android knowhow

I was being funny, guess it wasn't that obvious :rolleyes:

I'm a fairly technical person, I've been working in IT for 10+ years,
    been messing around with Android for about a year and a half.
    Beg to differ....I don't see any dodgy stories about the Desire but I do see some about SGS....doesn't matter who they are from as they are still stories

You can find dodgy posts on every phone in existence, and there's plenty about the Desire on XDA.

I'm not saying the SGS don't have any issues, it does. I'm saying they're nowhere near as bad as PAMG makes them out to be, and certainly the SGS doesn't warrant the "don't buy" status PAMG gives it.
    IMHO - I have only held the SGS for a little while but it definitely seemed laggy for me and a call took about 2 seconds to hook up on one occasion and also I found it to be a bit flimsy in its build and very plastic feeling - not horror stories I know but all the same they are stories. also if you do any research and look at other Android sites you will see reports of lag and GPS issues and in general just stuff that should not be happening on a phone of this quality. Samsung just let a product get out to market before they were sure it would work 99.99% of the time.
    The only reason I would recommend the SGS is if the stock of Desires were to dry up completely also might even suggest that the SGS is number 3 on the list of smartphones after Desire and the other fruity type of phone we all love to hate

Earlier firmwares had obvious lag issues, but again, post JM1 they're pretty much non existent.

And again, mistakes happen, i seem to recall the iPhone 4 shipping with horrid antenna issues, doesn't stop the fanbois from flocking around it :pac:

I seem to recall someone having bad luck (it's all it is) with his/her Desire in this thread: Desire's impressive robustness

You are wasting your energy, it is sad that people have a vendetta against a phone that is selling like hot cakes world wide!

not sure there is a vendetta going - he is giving his opinion on the original topic " Which is the best android phone on the market to get"
    I would agree and would suggest that the Desire is the better as you don't see as many 'stories' about it. Also seems to have a bigger fan base but maybe the SGS will catch up.
    Dead right - if you came from a N95 you would be amazed with any smartphone and if its the SGS you go for fine but by the looks of things its not as reliable and bug free as the Desire - which by the way is selling like hot cakes too

And it's not exactly copying and pasting lines of code either :rolleyes:
    Whatever
    Do you by any chance attach your phone to the top of your car or something because the few times my father's used the GPS on the Galaxy S he's found it dire.
    Do you want a photo of the three phones side by side, Mr.Skeptic?

I only wish they were.
    Oddly enough the Desire is still awaiting the FroYo kernel source, in fact I sent HTC an email about that very issue yesterday.
    I am not sure where the coming from a N95 came from either :confused: I came from a HD2 :)
    Ah yes Windows Mobile, the epitome of speed and efficiency ;)
    I have no Vendetta, I recommended the phone to my favourite weeks ago. I now wish I hadn't and want to share my experiences with everyone else.

So what now I am relatively stupid because none of those things are important to me or needed by me? :confused::confused:
    Did I say that? Ignorance of something isn't the same as stupidity. When I first got my Desire months ago I was the same as you asking myself why anyone would bother going to the hassle of rooting. Now and only now, I see why people root their phones and use custom ROMs.

not sure there is a vendetta going - he is giving his opinion on the original topic " Which is the best android phone on the market to get"
    I would agree and would suggest that the Desire is the better as you don't see as many 'stories' about it. Also seems to have a bigger fan base but maybe the SGS will catch up.
    Dead right - if you came from a N95 you would be amazed with any smartphone and if its the SGS you go for fine but by the looks of things its not as reliable and bug free as the Desire - which by the way is selling like hot cakes too

Of course it is selling well, I think it has got to the stage where everyone is not going to agree, I love my Samsung, someone else will love their desire, there are good and bad points to both.

Yes, I am new to Android and I admit that but I am learning as I go and enjoying it. I did not come from a N95 so that isn't an issue. I speak from experience and find that Galaxy does everything I need it to.

Its getting a bit tit for tat now so I will leave it there, just don't think it deserves the "do not buy" tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I seem to recall someone having bad luck (it's all it is) with his/her Desire in this thread: Desire's impressive robustness

Oh yeah, didn't see that one. Thanks. :pac:

TBH I had problems with mine too, the camera auto-focus gradually gave up and it had to go back to HTC for repair.

Anyway, shouldn't we be saving our energy for when an iphoner wanders in here?

• Advertisement

Do you by any chance attach your phone to the top of your car or something because the few times my father's used the GPS on the Galaxy S he's found it dire.

Nah, I just held it in my hand.
    Oddly enough the Desire is still awaiting the FroYo kernel source, in fact I sent HTC an email about that very issue yesterday.

The HTC Desire benefits in many ways by being near identical to the Nexus One, this is one of those benefits. I would've thought you'd know that tbh.

Oh yeah, didn't see that one. Thanks. :pac:

TBH I had problems with mine too, the camera auto-focus gradually gave up and it had to go back to HTC for repair.

I've no beef with anyone, it just ticks me off that a user asking for advice on smartphones get directly warned against buying the SGS, based on over exaggerated problems and half truths.

yup I would fully agree - no phone deserves the Do Not Buy but I think the topic is getting a little dispersed and as you say tit for tat.
    Thread is " Which is the best android phone on the market to get " and IMHO I would say the Desire at the moment

At least until the Desire HD hits the shops:)

Nah, I just held it in my hand.

The HTC Desire benefits in many ways by being near identical to the Nexus One, this is one of those benefits. I would've thought you'd know that tbh.
    Sorry but you clearly have no idea about what you're talking about. They are identical in many ways but they do NOT share the same Kernel and in most cases nor the same ROM. They are similar and are nigh on identical but there are some differences in hardware and low level software that makes Kernel/ROM portability impossible.

I've no beef with anyone, it just ticks me off that a user asking for advice on smartphones get directly warned against buying the SGS, based on over exaggerated problems and half truths.
    You clearly seem to have something against me by the way you talk. Always attacking the poster rather than the post.
    Read the thread title once more
    "Which is the best android phone on the market to get?"
    Obviously they're asking for an opinion on which one of many phones to buy. A comparative opinion from someone who has both of the main Android phones at present surely offers more advice than someone who has either phone and has limited experience with any other.

:pac:

yup I would fully agree - no phone deserves the Do Not Buy but I think the topic is getting a little dispersed and as you say tit for tat.
    Thread is "Which is the best android phone on the market to get " and IMHO I would say the Desire at the moment

Too keep on topic.

I'd recommend the SGS (duh) based on the better camera, screen size and the fact that you can natively record 720p @ 30fps and play 720p .mkvs without 3rd party addons.

However if you can wait, I'd go with the Desire HD, the 4.3" screen is fk'ing awesome.

Thread is " Which is the best android phone on the market to get " and IMHO I would say the Desire at the moment

Sorry to quote your post in particular but I never explicitly said not to buy the SGS. It's quite a good phone as phone's go but relative to it's competition at it's price range it's simply not good enough.

Sorry but you clearly have no idea about what you're talking about. They are identical in many ways but they do NOT share the same Kernel and in most cases nor the same ROM. They are similar and are nigh on identical but there are some differences in hardware and low level software that makes Kernel/ROM portability impossible.

Erm... The ONLY reason the Desire had FroYo before the official release was due to the similarities between that and the Nexus One (and the fact that there was a beta leak of the Desire Froyo floating around).

Also, most of the current custom Desire roms are the official rom repackaged,
    OR based on the AOSP project
    You clearly seem to have something against me by the way you talk. Always attacking the poster rather than the post.

I'm saying that you are wrong in your bashing of the SGS, how is that attacking the person? Am I calling you a moron anywhere or anything?

Sorry to quote your post in particular but I never explicitly said not to buy the SGS. It's quite a good phone as phone's go but relative to it's competition at it's price range it's simply not good enough.

Yup agree with all the above - and I don't remember anyone saying Do Not Buy but someone with an SGS mentioned you said it in a round about way so that's all I was pointing out.

As everyone else is saying Desire HD. Avoid the Galaxy S if you can, it's really not up to scratch quality wise (Relative to HTC at least).
    :pac:

• Advertisement

OK that's my tuppence worth - I go for the Desire and I will recommend that to my friend

Advertisement