Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best android phone on the market to get

Options
  • 13-09-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys I currently have a Iphone 3GS and I am wanting to upgrade the Iphone 4 isnt that different enough to warrant me changing to it so I am thinking I need some android in my life :D
    Anyway I was thinking of going for the HTC desire but the fact its not amoled any more is kinda throwing me.
    Let me know what you guys recommend please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

HTC Desire HD. I believe it is out this month. Should be announced on the 15th AFAIK.

Of course you should wait to see what people think of it but I have high hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Kevo wrote: »
    HTC Desire HD. I believe it is out this month. Should be announced on the 15th AFAIK.

Of course you should wait to see what people think of it but I have high hopes.

Ya may do that actually tnx.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

I went from the iphone to a Samsung Galaxy S. The reason I went with the SGS was:

I liked using my iphone but felt I was restricted by it and had to jailbreak to get the most out of it.

I never felt android was at the point to offer me more than ios until I used a friends nexus and was blown away by 2.2. Couldnt justify spending 500 bills on one of them tho.

I use my phone as a browser/media device first and never really for gaming even though the SGS is great for this. I have 32gb of music and video on my microsd. I have tried the emulators and roms, they run well but I dont have the time to use them for more than 5 min at a time.

Cons

The Camera is great but there is no flash. I have not needed a flash on my phone before and think I will survive without one for now.

There is a lag issue with 2.1 on the SGS but I fixed that in 10 min through a 1 click lag fix I got through appbrain. 2.2 will be released before the end of this month and will make the SGS even more of a contender thanks to no lag and flash 10 on its brilliant screen.

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    I went from the iphone to a Samsung Galaxy S. The reason I went with the SGS was:

I liked using my iphone but felt I was restricted by it and had to jailbreak to get the most out of it.

I never felt android was at the point to offer me more than ios until I used a friends nexus and was blown away by 2.2. Couldnt justify spending 500 bills on one of them tho.

I use my phone as a browser/media device first and never really for gaming even though the SGS is great for this. I have 32gb of music and video on my microsd. I have tried the emulators and roms, they run well but I dont have the time to use them for more than 5 min at a time.

Cons

The Camera is great but there is no flash. I have not needed a flash on my phone before and think I will survive without one for now.

There is a lag issue with 2.1 on the SGS but I fixed that in 10 min through a 1 click lag fix I got through appbrain. 2.2 will be released before the end of this month and will make the SGS even more of a contender thanks to no lag and flash 10 on its brilliant screen.

A guy I work with has the SGS and I was very impressed with it the only issue I have is I am with O2 and they dont have it on bill. The other thing is the poor guy seems to be re charging it all the time lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Yeah the battery life isn't great, but I'm still breaking mine in (letting it go fully dead before charging) -maybe he never did this. I still get a bit of lag with OneClickLagFix but great phone otherwise. Just waiting on 2.2 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

funnyclub wrote: »
    Hey Guys I currently have a Iphone 3GS and I am wanting to upgrade the Iphone 4 isnt that different enough to warrant me changing to it so I am thinking I need some android in my life :D
    Anyway I was thinking of going for the HTC desire but the fact its not amoled any more is kinda throwing me.
    Let me know what you guys recommend please.

slcd is not any worse than amoled. just Samsung have squeezed their hole and not providing anymore. obviously this well affected htc as they had to stop production. desire isfar more advanced than sgs the copy of 3gs and the desire should be available to be upgraded to 2.2 seen you take it out of the box

you said you liked your friends N1 then you should go for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

the only issue I have is I am with O2 and they dont have it on bill.

You can get an SGS on O2 billpay from Carphone Warehouse. I did just that yesterday. And I'm very happy so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Cons

Didn't you have to root the SGS to get the 1 click lag fix?

As for the OP's question, I would wait and see on Wednesday as the Desire HD could be very nice (Desire internals with Legend body maybe?). The only thing is it might be after christmas before they become available here.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    You can get an SGS on O2 billpay from Carphone Warehouse. I did just that yesterday. And I'm very happy so far!

Ya I just rang them there and they have them. Its weird they are selling them and O2 arent.:confused:
    Did yours have internal memory?

jeromeof wrote: »
    Didn't you have to root the SGS to get the 1 click lag fix?

As for the OP's question, I would wait and see on Wednesday as the Desire HD could be very nice (Desire internals with Legend body maybe?). The only thing is it might be after christmas before they become available here.

The root is included in the lag fix, got it on appbrain and was very straight forward.

• Advertisement

A guy I work with has the SGS and I was very impressed with it the only issue I have is I am with O2 and they dont have it on bill. The other thing is the poor guy seems to be re charging it all the time lol.
    Yeah the battery life isn't great, but I'm still breaking mine in (letting it go fully dead before charging) -maybe he never did this. I still get a bit of lag with OneClickLagFix but great phone otherwise. Just waiting on 2.2 now

Regarding the battery. I play with mine so much I have to charge it everyday, but thank god thats how you are meant to. once they are broke in. My phone doesnt go under 30%, I had a family do on Sat and didnt take out my phone at all it lasted for 48 hours, 24 with below average use and 24 with above average.

I got it by changing from meteor to vodafone for 1 simple reason, I get free calls and texts to 5 numbers mobiles and landline, 150 min and 150 texts and 2gb data. €45 a month by buying online and it is only 109 buying online. I use textdroid to text anyone outside my 5 numbers, 600 webtexts a month and I dont really ring anyone else.

I have 8 days left on my billing month and I have used 10% of my 2bg data plan, 50 of my 500 webtexts and have 60 min left.

Regarding the battery. I play with mine so much I have to charge it everyday, but thank god thats how you are meant to. once they are broke in. My phone doesnt go under 30%, I had a family do on Sat and didnt take out my phone at all it lasted for 48 hours, 24 with below average use and 24 with above average.

I got it by changing from meteor to vodafone for 1 simple reason, I get free calls and texts to 5 numbers mobiles and landline, 150 min and 150 texts and 2gb data. €45 a month by buying online and it is only 109 buying online. I use textdroid to text anyone outside my 5 numbers, 600 webtexts a month and I dont really ring anyone else.

I have 8 days left on my billing month and I have used 10% of my 2bg data plan, 50 of my 500 webtexts and have 60 min left.

Thats good value alright mate. Is textdroid the same as the eirtext app for Iphone?

Thats good value alright mate. Is textdroid the same as the eirtext app for Iphone?

Yarp

Cool tnx that was one thing I was reluctant about changing from Iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I have the Galaxy S (switched from HTC HD2) and I absolutely love the phone, does everything I want it to, brilliant screen and amazing features and I wouldn't swap for the world now!

Wish it had a flash but not really an issue for me as not a big camera person. I recommend it completely :) Most smartphones have pants battery life, I bring a charger to work for me so all ok on that score :D

I am currently with O2 and could get the SGS with them or switch to Vodaphone and get it cheaper. Just wondering which is the best for internet access when not on wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

i got my htc desire from meteor last month, 12 mnth contract, 200mins, 200 txts, free meteor calls and texts and 1gb of internet for 35e per month

if you go for an 18month contract it would be 30e per month

not bad, not bad at all!

BArra wrote: »
    i got my htc desire from meteor last month, 12 mnth contract, 200mins, 200 txts, free meteor calls and texts and 1gb of internet for 35e per month

if you go for an 18month contract it would be 30e per month

not bad, not bad at all!

Whats the coverage like with meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Can anyone comment on the Vodafone VF845 Joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Whats the coverage like with meteor?

I've had no problems here in (East) Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anybody heard of the new white Desire coming soon to CFW? Think I saw something on a forum that they're due in the UK soon. I know someone looking for a Desire on Meteor as it's by far the best value for what they will use it for but they are like gold dust and she has been told it could be November before they are back in store. Any news on availability yet? If a white one was in the way she would plump for that otherwise it could be a Galaxy S as that looks great too.
    I have a Desire with AMOLED screen and I would say it's by far the best bit of kit I have ever put my hands on. 2.2 just rocks and with increased speed and lots of other features i reckon it is better than the Galaxy S even when that's updated to 2.2. I played around with the Galaxy S last week and it looks good but I would be weary about build quality and support as I have heard reports of them giving up the ghost after a while and none too good after and bit of hard knicks and knocks.
    Still If it's going to be November before the Desire is back in Stock I will recommend that my friend goes for the Galaxy S

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

tui0hcg wrote: »
    I have a Desire with AMOLED screen and I would say it's by far the best bit of kit I have ever put my hands on. 2.2 just rocks and with increased speed and lots of other features i reckon it is better than the Galaxy S even when that's updated to 2.2. I played around with the Galaxy S last week and it looks good but I would be weary about build quality and support as I have heard reports of them giving up the ghost after a while and none too good after and bit of hard knicks and knocks.
    Out of curiosity - is it just the build and support you'd be worried about? I tried both today and thought both had fine builds. If more people are getting the Samsung, is there not decent support?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ben D Bus wrote: »

How's the Video Calls?:)

I suppose build more than support would be the concerns as it seemed to be a little lightweight and plasticy to me. I think the Desire is a bit more chunky. Yes I presume support will be getting better if they are selling millions of devices.
    I also heard the Samsung version of Android is a little bit buggy and had a few issues with GPS and that the dialer is a nightmare but then again I am very happy with HTC sense and found it hard to get my way around the Galaxy S. Friend would not be interested in rooting so the ease of use would be why I also might go for the Desire with sense on board

I suppose build more than support would be the concerns as it seemed to be a little lightweight and plasticy to me. I think the Desire is a bit more chunky. Yes I presume support will be getting better if they are selling millions of devices.
    I also heard the Samsung version of Android is a little bit buggy and had a few issues with GPS and that the dialer is a nightmare but then again I am very happy with HTC sense and found it hard to get my way around the Galaxy S. Friend would not be interested in rooting so the ease of use would be why I also might go for the Desire with sense on board

I moved from Sense to Samsung and I have had no issues at all :)

angel01 wrote: »
    I moved from Sense to Samsung and I have had no issues at all :)
    What do you think would be the pros and cons of both Sense and the Samsung version of Android.?

Sense pros for me would be ease of use and the widget selection is pretty good.

The Galaxy had the Swype keyboard installed - nightmare. But then again that's easily replaced by the far superior SwiftKey keyboard. Also seemed like it took about 2 seconds for a voice call to kick in on the dialer

What do you think would be the pros and cons of both Sense and the Samsung version of Android.?

Sense pros for me would be ease of use and the widget selection is pretty good.

The Galaxy had the Swype keyboard installed - nightmare. But then again that's easily replaced by the far superior SwiftKey keyboard. Also seemed like it took about 2 seconds for a voice call to kick in on the dialer

I had the sense version of Windows mobile so not the same. You can use an alternative to Swype, I do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

+1 For Galaxy S, I love it and it can only get better once Froyo comes out.

On Meteor though, bugger all reception, try VF or O2 I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Poor hero doesn't get the love it deserves. Can't wait to see the desire HD though. Might be very tempting.

I'm on meteor btw and coverage has never been a problem, though my old 7610 used to switch to roaming in Galway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I can't believe you don't like swype. I have it on my desire and find it fantastic. Everyone who sees me texting thinks it's magic

Advertisement