Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Vaccines are safe?" - Family awarded $1.5 million damages

Options
  • 13-09-2010 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

So, we're constantly told vaccines are unquestionably safe..

It would appear that a vaccine court for the first time has conceded defeat that a young girl, Hannah Poling suffered brain damage as a result of vaccination.

read full article here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

So, we're constantly told vaccines are unquestionably safe.

It would appear that a vaccine court for the first time has conceded defeat that a young girl, Hannah Poling suffered brain damage as a result of vaccination.

read full article here

I notice that you failed to mention that Hannah Polling had a pre existing encephalopathy, and the vaccine just exacerbated this serious illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

i'm not trying to prove vaccines are safe or unsafe, merely highlighting the story.

the main reason the Poling family won this case is because they had the money to see it through until the end.

most families could not afford the court costs so this win is great news for many victims of vaccines we never hear about in the mainstream news.

I know you probably hate seeing someone finally get justice they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

i'm not trying to prove vaccines are safe or unsafe, merely highlighting the story.

Sure.

And who says vaccines are 'unquestionably' safe? Any medication carries risk - and I don't know any government or health body that says otherwise.

Lovely.:rolleyes:

Not so fussed about the 'lack of respect' shown there eh, nullzero? What a surprise.

Then why put "vaccines are safe" in the title, in inverted commas?
    the main reason the Poling family won this case is because they had the money to see it through until the end.

No as I understand it the main reason they won the case is that in this case the claim was valid. Because the vaccine exacerbated a pre existing condition. The vast majority of children who receive vaccines dont have serious brain illnesses.

most families could not afford the court costs so this win is great news for many victims of vaccines we never hear about in the mainstream news.

You do realise you read this on CNN?

Nice to see you thank this post nullzero, with all your high and mighty talk about people leaving out personal attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Di0genes wrote: »
    You do realise you read this on CNN?
    Technically it's CBS but your point still stands ;)

Also I find the claim that the autism-vaccine link isn't mentioned in the media hilarious, considering it was an entirely media generated panic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

So, we're constantly told vaccines are unquestionably safe.
    Firstly - nobody says this. If anybody says this then they do not know what they are talking about. Even read the packaging of vaccines and you will see that the risks are clearly layed out. What is being said is the risk of being injured from a vaccine is much much less than the risk of getting injured because a vaccine was not administered. That is proven fact.
    Read this piece from Dr. Offit as it explains what happened here:
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp0802904

This child should not have been awarded any compensation.

axer wrote: »

Read this piece from Dr. Offit as it explains what happened here:
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp0802904

This child should not have been awarded any compensation.

Thank you. It's also interesting to note that far from being hidden by the mainstream media, this case has received massive attention

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right, I've deleted the majority of posts on this thread because they were pointless bickering. Alastair and Di0genes, if you ahve a problem with a post, you report it. You DO NOT derail a thread by bitching about it. It stops now, ni this thread and all others. You will not get another warning.

humanji wrote: »
    Right, I've deleted the majority of posts on this thread because they were pointless bickering. Alastair and Di0genes, if you ahve a problem with a post, you report it. You DO NOT derail a thread by bitching about it. It stops now, ni this thread and all others. You will not get another warning.

I did report the post. And I notice it's not been infracted, can I take it that such a post is allowable then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

alastair wrote: »
    Yeah he explained that:

was:

I guess that wraps it up for you then? Entirely satisfied with that explanation?

I guess I'll have to report pablo then - since you're in agreement that the comment isn't abuse.

Actually that would be much better rather than killing an interesting thread!

Perhaps you could have stayed on the subject instead of getting back at "nullzero" for some previous perceived slight!

For what its worth from the outside it looks like you're the source of all the "personal attacks"!

I was briefly tempted to check the 9/11 thread for the history of your grievance but I suspect it was more of the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

humanji wrote: »

Cheers - post 3 reported.

Thank you. It's also interesting to note that far from being hidden by the mainstream media, this case has received massive attention
    Not sure if you spotted this (I didnt at first) but the father of Hannah responded to the piece which Dr. Offit subsequently responded back:
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc086269
    Very interesting read and its a pity Hannah's father did not continue to respond but Id say that he knew he was out of his depth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought everyone at this stage knew that vaccines can't cause developmental disorders.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I thought everyone at this stage knew that vaccines can't cause developmental disorders.
    Tell that to Jenny McCarthy from the university of google and funnyman carey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I did report the post. And I notice it's not been infracted, can I take it that such a post is allowable then?

I would imagine given the amount of posts that were deleted and had to be read through and the amount of posts reported that he just hasn't had time to do anything about it

I have been busy in work so only getting to look at it now, as Humanjii has already actioned on this thread I will leave it for him to come back and answer later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Tell that to Jenny McCarthy from the university of google and funnyman carey.

Jenny McCarthy is clearly a retard.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Jenny McCarthy is clearly a retard.
    Did she get a vaccine herself then i wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

In the title, there should have been a question mark "Vaccines are safe"? and then point out the damages awarded, i've modified it for what it's worth.

People can say she didn't deserve them but it's clear the Vaccine Court couldn't win and the next stage was a Civil Court which would have opened a can of worms, so before the inevitable showdown, the US government settled.

Many families don't have the finances to get past the Vaccine Court.
    That's the whole idea of it, exhaust the finances of your claimant before they receive a fair case.

That's my opinion. You're all entitled to your own, but please refrain from insulting me and trying to shove your own opinion down my throat.

I'm glad the girl was awarded damages, she deserves every cent.

<SNIP>

Torakx wrote: »
    Did she get a vaccine herself then i wonder.

Probably.
    What's more, she has no problem injecting her face with Botulinum toxin, one of the most powerful neuro-toxins on the planet.

So all her and her follower's faff about toxins and stuff seems even more ridiculous and uninformed.

• Advertisement

In the title, there should have been a question mark "Vaccines are safe"? and then point out the damages awarded, i've modified it for what it's worth.

People can say she didn't deserve them but it's clear the Vaccine Court couldn't win and the next stage was a Civil Court which would have opened a can of worms, so before the inevitable showdown, the US government settled.

That's the whole idea of it, exhaust the finances of your claimant before they receive a fair case.
    [

Filing a claim with the Court of Federal Claims requires a $250 filing fee, which can be waived for those unable to pay. Medical records such as prenatal, birth, pre-vaccination, vaccination, and post-vaccination records are strongly suggested, as medical review and claim processing may be delayed without them. Because this is a legal process most people use a lawyer, though this is not required.[4] By 1999 the average claim took two years to resolve, and 42% of resolved claims were awarded compensation, as compared with 23% for medical malpractice claims through the tort system.[

The vaccine court takes a whopping $250 fee, doesn't require a lawyer and gives compensation to nearly every 2nd case.

God it sounds monstrous.

No the whole idea of it was to have a court where the complexities of vaccines could be understood instead of having a court with a jury that would be swayed by a sob story of some child that was perfectly fine one day then got a vaccination and within a few hours had become autistic. Yes those are sad stories but they are not evidence that autism and the likes is caused by vaccines but yet juries would be swayed by the mother and father crying while testifying that "she was such a sweet little girl.....".
    Why does she deserve "every cent"? The parents were looking for someone to blame for their daughters illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

That's my opinion. You're all entitled to your own, but please refrain from insulting me and trying to shove your own opinion down my throat.

Honestly just use the ignore function.It really does clean up the threads.I am still on the fence with the vaccine issue.
    On one hand i "believe" or in my gut feel that it is dangerous and increases a childs chances of being autistic or have some retardation.
    I see alot of people in large housing estate areas with symptoms of aspergers for example and other mental illness possibly caused by this and also maybe something in the water.
    But also if i had kids i would be very worried about the things the vaccines are supposed to prevent.
    Its a really tough choice for parents to take their childs life in their hands and decide on the future there and then.Most find it easier to let the governemnt decide for them so it shifts the blame onto someone else for their childs life changing forever.
    I welcome all documentaries on this conspiracy.As i surely think if these vaccines are doing what i think, someone may have conspired to cause these effects.I often ponder if doctors are really being trained to kill people while taking money off them.Just a thought i have now and then when i remember the mistreatment i recieved fo very simple issues to fix.
    I would honestly love to get the the bottom on this one.
    I would be so happy to be able to say to people yes i checked,they are actually 99% safe.
    I think that % is not right as it stands.But i also know autism can be genetic or think so anyway.

On one hand i "believe" or in my gut feel that it is dangerous and increases a childs chances of being autistic or have some retardation.
    Lots of epidemological studies have time and time again disproved any link between autism and vaccines. For instance 10 studies have been performed on the MMR vaccine. No link has EVER shown up.
    I see alot of people in large housing estate areas with symptoms of aspergers for example and other mental illness possibly caused by this and also maybe something in the water.
    From what I have read it looks like autism might be genetic but really they do not know for sure. It is possible that it is caused by environmental factors but there are so many variables it is going to be hard to prove either way. One thing is for sure though - it is not vaccines that is causing autism.
    But also if i had kids i would be very worried about the things the vaccines are supposed to prevent.
    Exactly the risks as calculated from epidemiological studies (so they are accurate and realistic) make the decision of taking a vaccine over not doing so a no-brainer decision.
    Its a really tough choice for parents to take their childs life in their hands and decide on the future there and then.Most find it easier to let the governemnt decide for them so it shifts the blame onto someone else for their childs life changing forever.
    No, there is plenty of scientific evidence and studies out there to read. I don't think it is that hard of a decision for a rational parent.
    I welcome all documentaries on this conspiracy.As i surely think if these vaccines are doing what i think, someone may have conspired to cause these effects.I often ponder if doctors are really being trained to kill people while taking money off them.Just a thought i have now and then when i remember the mistreatment i recieved fo very simple issues to fix.
    Documentaries spouting false science are causing deaths of children every year when parents believe their sh'it.
    I would be so happy to be able to say to people yes i checked,they are actually 99% safe.
    I think that % is not right as it stands.But i also know autism can be genetic or think so anyway.
    Read this book by Dr. Paul Offit it is an excellent read and will explain the whole situation including the science behind vaccines:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autisms-False-Prophets-Science-Medicine/dp/023114637X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284391395&sr=8-1
    Dr. Offit is one of the inventors of a rota virus vaccine that has saved countless lives. All profit from the above book is donated to researching the cause of autism.

No, there is plenty of scientific evidence and studies out there to read. I don't think it is that hard of a decision for a rational parent.
    You don't even really have to read any studies.

Penn and Teller explain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo
    Warning: Naughty words.

I find it highly ironic that one of the few known causes of autism is rubella infection of the fetus.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Honestly just use the ignore function.It really does clean up the threads.I am still on the fence with the vaccine issue.

Well i have 2 sons, my first one got all his vaccines, the second one got NO vaccines at all.One of them has autism, the other doesnt.Il give you one guess which one it is.........

Well i have 2 sons, my first one got all his vaccines, the second one got NO vaccines at all.One of them has autism, the other doesnt.Il give you one guess which one it is.........

Well I got vaccines. My siblings all got vaccines. Most people I know got vaccines.
    I don't know anyone who has autism.

So my anecdote trumps yours, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

King Mob wrote: »
    Well I got vaccines. My siblings all got vaccines. Most people I know got vaccines.
    I don't know anyone who has autism.

So my anecdote trumps yours, right?

If only it was as simple as that mate.....

• Advertisement

If only it was as simple as that mate.....
    Gonna explain how your anecdote is more valid?

Or do you see how anecdotes are pointless in this kinda debate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement