Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Project

Options
  • 10-09-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I was just wondering what guidelines are there to the research topic? My history teacher is useless and she hasn't explained anything:mad:. I was thinking of the 1798 rebellion in the south-east. Is that a good topic and should I broaden it to the whole of Ireland? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I was thinking of the 1798 rebellion in the south-east. Is that a good topic and should I broaden it to the whole of Ireland? :confused:

Au conraire, you need to narrow the focus as much as possible. There's a huge amount in that topic already. You need to get down and dirty with the action and tell the real story tbh. One incident, individual or aspect is enough. Sticking to one single battle is your best bet.

I did mine on Free State reprisals in Kerry during just one month of the Civil War. I ended up using the entire project booklet in order to give it a proper treatment, and in reality I should have narrowed the focus to just one incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Bucklesman wrote: »
    Au conraire, you need to narrow the focus as much as possible. There's a huge amount in that topic already. You need to get down and dirty with the action and tell the real story tbh. One incident, individual or aspect is enough. Sticking to one single battle is your best bet.

I did mine on Free State reprisals in Kerry during just one month of the Civil War. I ended up using the entire project booklet in order to give it a proper treatment, and in reality I should have narrowed the focus to just one incident.
    +1. You should try to get it down to just one day or something like that. Then flesh it out with the consequences of those events etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I was just wondering what guidelines are there to the research topic? My history teacher is useless and she hasn't explained anything:mad:. I was thinking of the 1798 rebellion in the south-east. Is that a good topic and should I broaden it to the whole of Ireland? :confused:

Like others have said, narrow it down as much as you can. Pick an individual event, battle, personality - what you want and what fits. The more narrowed down the more unique it will be, this will, if done properly make it interesting.

If you make it too wide open, you'll probably digress and go off your intended mark. If it's too big, you won't fit it in and it'll be aimless and wandering.

Approach your teacher about it and explain it. Do a bit of work on the entire 1798 rebellion (read an overview, look it up online and so on) and you should find an aspect you like and want to do a further study on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

If it's too big, you won't fit it in
    t.
    thats what she said;)

eoins23456 wrote: »
    thats what she said;)

...waaaaayyyy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

lol i got 55/60 for my one this year as i viewed my script.
    i have to repeat though :(:( dunno what project to do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    lol i got 55/60 for my one this year as i viewed my script.
    i have to repeat though :(:( dunno what project to do now!

I know I'm in the same boat, I've started it but I got 97% in my one last year, It sucks you can't use it :(

Wow that sucks.

Out of curiousity, what event did you guys base your work on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

theowen wrote: »
    +1. You should try to get it down to just one day or something like that. Then flesh it out with the consequences of those events etc.
    I did mine on a very big topic (Abraham Lincoln's attitude to and treatment of slavery), and got 94% when I viewed my script. It doesn't have to be a super narrow focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I did mine on a very big topic (Abraham Lincoln's attitude to and treatment of slavery), and got 94% when I viewed my script. It doesn't have to be a super narrow focus.
    In general you really should try to narrow it done tho' :cool::p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i did my LC last year, and my project was on Rommel's involvement in the Siege of Tobruk, Libya.
    got 100% in it, but i did OL (though HL was written on the topic, i dropped down after i had it submitted)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

theowen wrote: »
    In general you really should try to narrow it done tho' :cool::p
    I suppose. Only super awesome people can afford to do really broad topics and still get high marks. :P :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 on narrowing it down! You'll be reading every book under the sun if you go too broad. I started off with the Spanish Civil War, narrowed to Guernica, and then finally focussed on the German involvement/training ground for Nazis angle.
    Also, the examiner will have read every topic before, especially if you go for something Irish, so try make it as exciting and specific as you can. Brighten their day, they're gonna get a **** load of 1916 Rising papers.
    If you're specific, you know exactly what you're looking for and don't need to waste time doing crazy research. Start reading ASAP, so you can spend as much time on the essay as you need. It's not a long assignment, it just needs to be right. Make a note of every good page in a book, every site you visit. It'll all just slot in at the end.
    Ask your teacher for a blank assignment copy book and photocopy it so you can make sure your essay is going to fit. You don't want to find out it's too long a week before it;s due in.
    Best of luck. It's a great assignment and can be fun if history is your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Wow that sucks.

I did mine on Kevin Barry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Just for yourself, sometimes doing a topic that isn't on your course at all can be easier. I started off with something loosely connected to what I was studying for the written exam (the burning of books in Nazi Germany), but I became bored and unmotivated covering the same topic twice. I changed it totally to something during Vietnam War because it wasn't at all related to the course. It was way more interesting, so I actually wanted to do it. Worked out well, I got an A2 (after a disastrous written exam!). Happy days :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pheima

Hey I got 100% in my research topic (honours) and an overall A1 in history for lc. If anyone needs any help just ask:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

Pheima wrote: »
    Hey I got 100% in my research topic (honours) and an overall A1 in history for lc. If anyone needs any help just ask:D
    what did you do it on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i did the Nazi euthanasia programme very very straightforward and easy enough project id recommend it to any leaving cert student this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Sorry to bump this, but I was wondering if you were doing the modern history course (1815 - 1993) and you did a history topic on something before 1815, would that be okay? Or does it have to be between 1815 and 1993?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

jumpguy wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this, but I was wondering if you were doing the modern history course (1815 - 1993) and you did a history topic on something before 1815, would that be okay? Or does it have to be between 1815 and 1993?

As far as I know you can do something from before this, as according to my teacher, Classical Studies students have done stuff related to Classics in the past.

According to the pdf onThis Page the only restraints are the end date (ie. 1993 for Irish history and 1992 for World/European)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aifric1

Pheima wrote: »
    How did you do in your written? Any tips for it? I get As in class and Cs in exams, even though my timing's good, and I put in ****loads of work :( Any tips for the RSR in terms of analytical writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

How did you get an A1 in terms of the written exam? Any tips for getting full marks on essays??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daithi.orian

Does anyone know what the deadline for submitting the research topic is? I'm doing some tutoring with Leaving Cert History students at the moment but they never seem to know when exactly it is meant to be submitted. I had heard April but is that official?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Does anyone know what the deadline for submitting the research topic is? I'm doing some tutoring with Leaving Cert History students at the moment but they never seem to know when exactly it is meant to be submitted. I had heard April but is that official?

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/KeyDates_2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rolo454

I did mine on "Pablo Picasso's Guernica and it's effects on the Spanish Civil War".
    You need to be very specific.
    Choose something that you love if possible. I like art so I did a painting.
    Some people in my class did the Beatles, John Lennon and Che Guevara among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bonkers12313

ricero wrote: »
    i did the Nazi euthanasia programme very very straightforward and easy enough project id recommend it to any leaving cert student this year

Hi.. I'm thinking of doingthat title... Can I ask where you got your sources from?? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bonkers12313

Sources used for your project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hello !

I decided to leave it all till tonight! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Thats the thing with repeating, your not afraid of your life this time cause you realize it was all fairly overrated. Which is a bad thing for easily distracted people like me !

I decided to do the Romanov downfall after seeing a good documentry.
    Did the whole essay under 2hours. Short words though!

Copy - Paste - Rephrase is clearly the way to go ;)

Ugh. No outline done yet. Tbh, thats the worst part of the project !

LC2010HIS wrote: »

Copy - Paste - Rephrase is clearly the way to go ;)

Ugh. No outline done yet. Tbh, thats the worst part of the project !

History over two years has clearly thought you well. ':rolleyes:'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sstalins

Hi,

I am currently doing my leaving cert history project. My subject is Hitler, 1889-1919. My course is Dictatorship and democracy in Europe. Is the title too close to the couse or does it matter. Can any one advise?:)

Advertisement