Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dallas [TNT - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP Larry, he created one of the best tv characters ever the villian you loved to hate

Should we expect a who fatally shot JR episode for the new season or has it already been filmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Yeah someone told me that today, i didnt believe them til i saw it in the news, total shocker RIP Larry, thanks OP for the NYTimes link, i forgot he was in I Dream of Jeannie as he was so young then, but instantly recognisable!

Also i didnt realise that who shot JR was the second most watched in US history behind Mash, just go to show he had lots of appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

If someone wants to watch the repeat again its on tonite again, if you have Ch5 that is.

Time - 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long).
    When - Monday 26th November on Channel 5

Changing of the Guard. Series 1, episode 1.
    Revival of the prime time blockbuster soap. As the Ewings gather for the wedding of Bobby's son Christopher to Rebecca, family quarrels lead to the shock announcement that Bobby is to sell Southfork. Meanwhile, John Ross has struck oil on the land, Christopher's methane extraction plans hit a major snag, and the bride is landed with the groom's former fiancee.
    Starring: Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Elena Ramos
    (Repeat, Followed by 5 News Update, Subtitles, 2012)

Or if you want to relive the classic series it's on every day on CBS Drama at 11pm (& repeated at 8am+1pm) on ch 149, i tuned in a while ago & saw Ray Krebbs who had Jenna staying with him while carryin Bobby's baby!:D Classic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Reports JR will die in the next series. At least we still have Bobby and Suellen. Gary and Valene Ewing are to return for 3 episodes next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Or if you want to relive the classic series it's on every day on CBS Drama at 11pm (& repeated at 8am+1pm) on ch 149, i tuned in a while ago & saw Ray Krebbs who had Jenna staying with him while carryin Bobby's baby!:D Classic stuff.

Shame they are on series 11, it was going well downhill by then. However no doubt they will loop around to the start soon enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

2x08 will be a Jr Ewing sendoff/funeral episode....a sure fire ratings winner no doubt...one to watch: http://tvline.com/2012/12/10/dallas-jr-ewing-funeral-season-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    I'd put money on another few shots fired into the back of his chair.

I heard last week that
    this is how it's going to go down too.....
    (it's the only way he was ever going to leave the show, in fairness!).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

i know the show premieres in the uk on Tuesday but any word on the Irish date? i watch it online but curious weather we have stepped up and got it early

• Advertisement

Very enjoyable start to the season. So much backstabbing, double dealing and revenge in two episodes, my head is spinning. Classic Dallas. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Very enjoyable start to the season. So much backstabbing, double dealing and revenge in two episodes, my head is spinning. Classic Dallas. :o

Oh didn't realise this was back yet. That and The Americans sorts out tonight's TV so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Is it back on on TV3 and if so when?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it back on on TV3 and if so when?

Tonight at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Episode 3 was quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm trying to catch up with some much stuff at the moment that I wasn't ready when Dallar came back but I splurged at the weekend and got up to date now. I have to say I'm so impressed with this second season so far. I know poor JR is soon to be heading off to the great big ranch in the sky but when Larry passed away I had grave concerns for the future of the show. Based on Season 1 I didn't think there'd be enough there to carry it otherwise. I think even his brief appearances carried a lot of Season 1 and he was certainly something to behold in Season 2 which makes the actor's death even sadder. However, the new boys appear to be finding their feet and coming into their own. John Ross is definitely JR's son and turning into the slimy little bollox you'd expect and Christoper is definitely Bobby Jr with a little more edge.

They're packing a lot into the episodes at the moment and it's great entertainment. They're having a stronger second season I think than Revenge which started out purporting to be the new kid on the block showing how it's done now but it's starting to look like Dallas is the Daddy and has finally gotten around to getting it's ass-kicking boots on. Currently Dallas is reminding me a lot of the 80's soap staples like, well er, Dallas, but also Dynasty & Falcon Crest which is a great thing. It's interesting to see that Revenge's efforts at the same thing just aren't quite measuring up this season round.

Losing a character like JR would be enough to sink most shows I think. I've a feeling Dallas might just survive though we'll miss JR all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

watched the end of JR today...god Im sad ...RIP Larry Hagman, if you ever have a bit of time on your hands...google the best of JR one liners (videos) there brillliant

gjc wrote: »
    watched the end of JR today...god Im sad ...RIP Larry Hagman, if you ever have a bit of time on your hands...google the best of JR one liners (videos) there brillliant

I thought that episode was next Mon?

Nope, it happened last night. Funeral is next week.

Just watching episode 6 now. I thought the scene with Bobby on his laptop receiving instant messages from JR (without showing him) was a bit odd. As if it was a scene to fill a gap as Hagman was unwell may be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

py2006 wrote: »
    Just watching episode 6 now. I thought the scene with Bobby on his laptop receiving instant messages from JR (without showing him) was a bit odd. As if it was a scene to fill a gap as Hagman was unwell may be?

I thought the bit where JR gets his new tablet was funny though - "I got enough Angry Birds!" (too true JR) :p

Just finished watching Ep7 though now - RIP JR/ Larry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

py2006 wrote: »

JR sent a virus hidden in the message to erase the drive that Bobby had.

Nope, it happened last night. Funeral is next week.

JR was iconic ..... Funeral next week hope it gives him a big send out.... He deserves it .....I watched it twice as no more larry hagman after today ..,... (Big tears)

i liked episode 7, the fake phone calls and reactions where awful though i would have rather a one sided conversation then little bits of old clips

I'm not sure they were old clips or just other pieces they'd filmed. I was actually wondering if they'd had a contingency in place in some form if he happened to die i.e. the trip to Abu Dhabi and a few scenes already in the can to use to fill that out.

In any case, it's sad and it's terrible to lose one of the great characters in TV soap history. He played that role so damn well.

I wonder what JRs masterpiece will be??

gjc wrote: »
    I wonder what JRs masterpiece will be??

Yeah, that kind of came from nowhere which leads me to believe that that footage might have been a contingency measure. He was ill during season 1 hence him jetting off on the heli into incommunicado land for a few episodes. I'd have thought it prudent on the part of the producers to have him film a 'final scene' with mention of a generic 'masterpiece' JR type winning plan that they could fill out in the writing at a later stage. The fact that he said such nice things about John Ross seems to suggest this. Also that scene with himself and Bobby where he was looking though old clippings and mentioned how he was a right scoundrel over the years looked like more prepackaged contingency stuff.

Having said that, in Ep 6 where we see JR walking into the courthouse, I'd assumed that it was a doppleganger as we mostly saw his back. The fact that JR did have a few scenes there makes me wonder. I wonder if he was beginning to feel unwell again at that point and wasn't up to a lot of serious dialogue?

You know, at this point, I'd actually really like to see a bonus feature or show on how they put together JR's last scenes and whether or not they had a contingency in place or they were lucky or something else.

squonk wrote: »
    I'm not sure they were old clips or just other pieces they'd filmed. I was actually wondering if they'd had a contingency in place in some form if he happened to die i.e. the trip to Abu Dhabi and a few scenes already in the can to use to fill that out.

In any case, it's sad and it's terrible to lose one of the great characters in TV soap history. He played that role so damn well.

Nah they where old phone calls and scenes chopped together, alot of the lines where from series 1

The whole racing track thing in the last episode screams of a re-write due to Hagmans passing.

• Advertisement

I just watched the first 5 minutes to see the aftermath.
    The low key intro sequence/tribute was really well done.

Advertisement