Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Applications 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mayrk

New myself, thinking about going to the Toga rave, but maybe that's just cos I've been waiting far too long for a good excuse to flaunt my toga. Certainly going to the pub quiz, what's better than being in an environment in which we are expected to get drunk and act obnoxious because of it. Awesome.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

So I messed up and missed the maths learning thing at 3pm and later found out that there was a test :eek: Does anyone know if I can do it another day or how important it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

So I messed up and missed the maths learning thing at 3pm and later found out that there was a test :eek: Does anyone know if I can do it another day or how important it is?

These tests are for a self-recommendation for the maths learning center, i.e. for those that have difficulty in maths. It's just so that you know yourself where you stand, and it has nothing to do with your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think its just a test that determines whether or not you actually need the maths learning centre, but tbh I think I failed it in first year(not sure how?), went to one lesson and then didn't bother. its only very basic maths, fairly different then what you'd be doing in the maths module in first year.

That's good to know, I might see if I can sit it anyway just to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Think I missed that MLC test altogether last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

Well I got 0% anyway, ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Feargalk

dont worry about that maths test, its just to see how much u remember from 6th year and to see if ur goin to need help from the learnin centre.

i got 15%...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jiggy

Yeah the maths test isn't really necessary, got 85 and had to repeat my maths in August so its not a great reflection xD

What did everyone think of that maths today? I think I get it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 foFox

Yeah, it was alright. With those printed notes it really is much easier to keep up with a lecturer and revise the topic later.

PS

You could have written that as a new thread on Moodle forum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Just floating around, found this thread.

I'm a second year in CA. Yeah the Maths tests are basically a combination of tutorial questions. If you can do the tutorials you'll have no problems with the tests.

Watch out for programming, easily the hardest subject. It's the main thing people fail. The hardest part is that you can't just study for it, it's all about understanding it :confused:

it's all about understanding it :confused:

The majority of the course is about understanding, not learning sh!t off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

The majority of the course is about understanding, not learning sh!t off.

Dont worry about it. All you gotta do is the past papers and you will be fine. :cool:

Gman1 wrote: »
    Dont worry about it. All you gotta do is the past papers and you will be fine. :cool:

Funny guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

This doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

Is anyone else in ca a little afraid of james o connor...the mans a psycho!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PowerTaxi

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    Is anyone else in ca a little afraid of james o connor...the mans a psycho!:p

I'm assuming the exam will just be a recollection of his anecdotes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

yeah i know more about his childhood and how AIB are a bunch of tossers than the actual module..okay?..thank you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PowerTaxi

Question 1: Where do you not sit while in the lecture room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Im sure that while he may look like a T-Rex, walking around w/ his arms tooked in, that underneath it all he's a pussy cat ...unless you sit in the alcoves, work for aib, disagree w/ him, thank him for thanking you for your contribution or cross him in anyway

I'd love for someone to say when he in the middle of a story, 'Ah now James, I was there, that's NOT how it happened' twould be hilarious :D

Hauk wrote: »
    This doesn't work.

In a lot of cases it does work!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

Enjoy your short time at Dcu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oh the alcoves! Memories.....:D

Lecturers just last year changed their exam papers specifically to render useless this lazy way of studying; now you need to understand everything.

Enjoy your short time at Dcu.

Well it hasnt been short. U obviously have to look over the notes aswell, but the main thing u gotta do is going over the past papers.

Lecturers just last year changed their exam papers specifically to render useless this lazy way of studying; now you need to understand everything.

Well maybe thats the case for newer students. but for us its not the case. Many lecturers do not change the papers that much. Or they might use some of there example questions from the notes. If there is a new system, i am unaware of it.

Can we get past papers for business anywhere? I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be learning for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

There are 2 past papers available for business. Last years actual paper and the repeat paper. Anything else isn't valid as the format of the exam was changed from multiple choice to essay style answers.

There is a link to it on the academic page of your portal.

Consider yourselves lucky last year despite being told we would be given a sample paper we were never shown one.

It is not the most interesting module but learn it off and you should be fine. I would suggest getting the book out of the library in the weeks leading up to the exam. If learning this off by heart doesn't come naturally to you it will take some work.

For the business game it helps if someone in your group has done business for the leaving certification. All of the formula's to predict the outcome week by week are in the manual. A bit of thought/maths and it is grand.

• Advertisement

Well maybe thats the case for newer students. but for us its not the case. Many lecturers do not change the papers that much. Or they might use some of there example questions from the notes. If there is a new system, i am unaware of it.

I just graduated.

We have something in common: you'll soon be an alumnus too.

Advertisement