Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Callan57 wrote: »
    ... and he always sounds to me like he is expecting applause for his "oh so clever and inciteful question" :rolleyes:

meanwhile I'm always waiting for a clever and inciteful question from him....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Oh for god's sake do you work for the RTE PR department or what?
    No. Neither do I run with packs of mongrel terriers that bite all ankles.

I'm a wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Myles doing his best to make it seem like he wouldn't be seen dead on holidays in the Canaries with the great unwashed. Only the World's greatest cultural centres for Myles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

So you'll defend RTE from all criticism but you'll insult everyone else on a thread you participate on? Right so.

• Advertisement

So you'll defend RTE from all criticism but you'll insult everyone else on a thread you participate on? Right so.
    No. I'm prepared to disagree with comments that I think unfair.

And I also think it unfair that you question my bona fides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I think he is making a valid point about this thread tbh. Daily Mail-type outrage is the default setting and so is Myles bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I think he is making a valid point about this thread tbh. Daily Mail-type outrage is the default setting and so is Myles bashing.

It is my opinion that Myles is nowhere near the same league of current affairs broadcaster as Pat Kenny ... now how is that bashing? If you think he is brilliant you are entitled to your opinion but it is my right to disagree with you, or anyone else, as vehemently as I choose.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Myles is nowhere near the same league of current affairs broadcaster as Pat Kenny.

Except that wouldn't be typical of how comments about Myles are phrased around here, is it? The moaning usually starts as soon as Pat announces that he is going to be off for a while. Someone posts a view contrary to that of a handful of regular posters and he is accused of being an employee of RTE's PR department.

He's just a stand-in. He does a decent enough job, better than most of the other presenters over at Montrose would, imo.

Except that wouldn't be typical of how comments about Myles are phrased around here, is it? The moaning usually starts as soon as Pat announces that he is going to be off for a while. Someone posts a view contrary to that of a handful of regular posters and he is accused of being an employee of RTE's PR department.

He's just a stand-in. He does a decent enough job, better than most of the other presenters over at Montrose would, imo.
    My comment about P Breathnach being in the PR department: No. 1: That comment was tongue in cheek, hardly an "accusation". No. 2: "Someone posts a view contrary..." To be fair, almost EVERY time someone here says they don't like a particular aspect of the show (which is not personally insulting, btw, it's just personal opinion), P Breathnach rushes in on his white horse to defend it. I wasn;t commenting on an isolated incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I wouldn't mind seeing PBH in the slot instead of Myles - especially these days with the Anglo tapes relevations, he'd be more suited. Keelin Shanley would be good, too IMHO.

Yakuza wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing PBH in the slot instead of Myles - especially these days with the Anglo tapes relevations, he'd be more suited. Keelin Shanley would be good, too IMHO.
    PBH in particular seems to be an excellent investigative journalist. Some of his slots on Drivetime are great.

I wouldn't mind seeing PBH in the slot instead of Myles - especially these days with the Anglo tapes relevations

PBH should really be the full-time presenter of Drivetime though, not just a stand-in for Pat.

My comment about P Breathnach being in the PR department: No. 1: That comment was tongue in cheek, hardly an "accusation".
    It was also clearly aimed at discrediting my posting in this forum.
    No. 2: "Someone posts a view contrary..." To be fair, almost EVERY time someone here says they don't like a particular aspect of the show (which is not personally insulting, btw, it's just personal opinion), P Breathnach rushes in on his white horse to defend it. I wasn;t commenting on an isolated incident.
    The message here is that I am outside some cosy consensus. Good.

This is a discussion forum, and different points of view are useful in discussion.

I note that attacks on Myles Dungan are not isolated incidents here either.

It was also clearly aimed at discrediting my posting in this forum.

The message here is that I am outside some cosy consensus. Good.

This is a discussion forum, and different points of view are useful in discussion.

I note that attacks on Myles Dungan are not isolated incidents here either.
    Hold on a second. People aren't attacking Dungan, they are saying they don't like his style of broadcasting. That's ok. And it's ok for you to say you like his style. However, what's not ok is to insult people for disagreeing with you. Apparently, I'm a terrier biting ankles because I don't like Myles Dungan's broadcasting style. Isn't that discrediting my posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I wonder did Shatter's publicists have to pay RTE to allow him promote his dirty book?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Jesus, Don't think PK would tolerate this nonsense.
    Get him off!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

How is that burgess allowed on the radio

Burgess the great consumer rights activist.

He's right up there with the regulator, bankers, dept of finance, the politicians and the rest of the establishment when it comes to protecting the little guy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

I wonder is Brendan in arrears, he really thinks debt forgiveness is a wonderful idea.

• Advertisement

How come he never mentions he owns bank shares. It a joke that he can claim to be on the consumers side

Where the hell is the evidence that people are abusing the system apart from lame press releases from failed banks??

How is that burgess allowed on the radio

As you wrote it in with a lower case b, and burgess is another word politician (thanks Internet!), I thought you referred to Shatter (with a high-falutin' word!). Seems like you got a two-for-one deal with that comment :)
    How come he never mentions he owns bank shares. It a joke that he can claim to be on the consumers side

He's probably taking a bath on them, if he followed his own advice:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Billie Jean King won that match, get your tennis facts straight RTE, pathetic knowledge of tennis - and from a "sports" journalist.

Pathetic.

They dedicate 5 mins to a "sport" that can have majors won by fat 50 year olds
    then 30 seconds to Wimbledon - the most skilled sport in the world.

He's probably taking a bath on them, if he followed his own advice:

even more reason for him to not be wheeled out as a consumer champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

touts wrote: »
    I wonder did Shatter's publicists have to pay RTE to allow him promote his dirty book?

Oh so it's a dirty book .... going to have to get a Kindle copy so ;)

even more reason for him to not be wheeled out as a consumer champion.

To be fair, it's hard to find someone in this country that hasn't been affected by the collapse in Bank shares, either directly through share ownership or indirectly through pension funds having been decimated due to bank shares having been a blue chip component of many of them.

ohh goody! laugh at the peasants time, a core part of RTE's public service broadcasting remit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pay for your own FKN house...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Good man Paddy O'Gorman. ;)

Is that his favourite chat-up line? :pac: "...and do you have a man in your life?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement