Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runaholic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Clothes now there is a good aspect of this

Havent bought new casual clothes in a very long time ( i have enough to get by on)

Compare this to running. Gear picked up down in Dingle last weekend for the half (plus an extra t shirt or two that were floating about) got home and on Tuesday had a package arrive at the house, new running shorts jacket and singlet excellent today just ordered a load of compression shorts + t shirts online. How many people are like me with more running clothes than casual at this stage yet it never seems enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Only a runaholic would look forward to their 40th birthday like a kid waits for santa on christmas eve.....M40 category...extra competitive edge to races...what more could you ask for? I've a good few years to wait though....damn my youth!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Only a runaholic would look forward to their 40th birthday like a kid waits for santa on christmas eve.....M40 category...extra competitive edge to races...what more could you ask for? I've a good few years to wait though....damn my youth!
    Boo Hiss to F40. Which is on the way for me. :(

I wear my running gear as casual gear now. People stare. I dont mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

After doing DCM last year (my first), I said i would never run another marathon again.
    I am doing DCM next month and planning to do next years conemarra Ultra :eek:

Everytime I see Running gear in Aldi Or Lidl (every two months) I always 'stock up' on loads of it even though I already have more than enough socks shorts, tops and Jackets.

Just last week I bought 2 Pairs of Lunar Glides in TK Maxx because they were on sale; even though i already have 4 perfectly good pairs of Lunarglides and several other brands as well.
    I hardly have room to store all my running gear.

I think I may already be a runaholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I've been running less than a year and feel in danger of becoming such a thing. Apart from three weeks break for holidays I've probably been going out 6 days a week & even feeling vaguely guilty about the rest day!

Should I stop before it's too late :confused: (Maybe it already is!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

opus wrote: »
    Apart from three weeks break for holidays..... (Maybe it already is!)

Did you think about it while on holidays? If it crossed your mind but you just forgot your gear... you could already be picking up speed on the slippery slope downwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You're all nuts. I could stop running any time I wanted to.

I just don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

ocnoc wrote: »
    Did you think about it while on holidays? If it crossed your mind but you just forgot your gear... you could already be picking up speed on the slippery slope downwards

Ok I'll come clean, actually brought my gear on a week's skiing holiday but the lure of the apres ski beers was enough to overcome my resolve ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I just don't want to.

you're just addicted to the bubendorphins.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    After doing DCM last year (my first), I said i would never run another marathon again.
    I am doing DCM next month and planning to do next years conemarra Ultra :eek:

I got all excited yesterday when you mentioned it in the park. I thought you meant the Connemara 100M. Thought I was going to have another running buddy on the route, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

You have one of the most serious problems going - you wrote to a race organiser asking them to lengthen what was already an insanely long race?????? I also suspect that if you hadn't found that marshall towards the end of Dingle, you would actually have tagged on another half mile at the end so as 'to be sure'. Serious issues man, real serious ones.

I think we should have a poll.....most addicted

Think we already have one here :D

You have one of the most serious problems going - you wrote to a race organiser asking them to lengthen what was already an insanely long race?????? I also suspect that if you hadn't found that marshall towards the end of Dingle, you would actually have tagged on another half mile at the end so as 'to be sure'. Serious issues man, real serious ones.

That's not fair!!!!!!

Re point 1, I only thought a round number would sound better.
    Re point 2, oh come on, what's an extra half mile after 50? And I didn't even do it in the end.

If you do a poll, leave me out of it. I'm in enough trouble with the mother-in-law as it is already! Please!! [there's no begging icon, is there?]

Have you ever lied to others about the amount of running you do because you know owning up to the full amount would cause them to worry?

I just remembered, it's even worse here.

Not only have I been known to understate the amount of training I'm doing in the past, now even my wife is doing it. She did not tell her parents until the day before Dingle that I would be doing the ultra. :D

I just remembered, it's even worse here.

Not only have I been known to understate the amount of training I'm doing in the past, now even my wife is doing it. She did not tell her parents until the day before Dingle that I would be doing the ultra. :D

Ill raise you one brought the OH for a romantic weekend away down in Limerick. Sunday morning woke up and goes i i just gotta pop out for a bit wont be too long. She didnt mind as she was still asleep, 13.1 miles later my pacing duties were done and dusted ready to go for the rest of the day

ecoli wrote: »
    Ill raise you one brought the OH for a romantic weekend away down in Limerick. Sunday morning woke up and goes i i just gotta pop out for a bit wont be too long. She didnt mind as she was still asleep, 13.1 miles later my pacing duties were done and dusted ready to go for the rest of the day

LEGEND! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

Recent article on triathlon and running by Martin Brunt in 220 Triathlon (Sept 2010) sums up the lure of the sport. The article is entitled Behaviour that once horrified you will become perfectly normal. He writes the article to celebrate seven years in the sport so instead of offering advice he describes a lesson he has learned for every year in the sport. Lessons on tan lines, food and clothes are described in a very amusing way. The funniest lesson is described by Martin as follows:

Standards - they'll decline. Behaviour that once horrified you will become perfectly normal. From stripping off in public to emptying your nose while running, nothing is off limits if it means saving a few seconds on your race time. In my case I decided I could save time by ‘letting go’ while running instead of stopping for the toilet. The first time I achieved this I ran down the road with my arms aloft, cheering. How many other sports lead you to celebrate incontinence?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Recent article on triathlon and running by Martin Brunt in 220 Triathlon (Sept 2010) sums up the lure of the sport. The article is entitled Behaviour that once horrified you will become perfectly normal. He writes the article to celebrate seven years in the sport so instead of offering advice he describes a lesson he has learned for every year in the sport. Lessons on tan lines, food and clothes are described in a very amusing way. The funniest lesson is described by Martin as follows:

Standards - they'll decline. Behaviour that once horrified you will become perfectly normal. From stripping off in public to emptying your nose while running, nothing is off limits if it means saving a few seconds on your race time. In my case I decided I could save time by ‘letting go’ while running instead of stopping for the toilet. The first time I achieved this I ran down the road with my arms aloft, cheering. How many other sports lead you to celebrate incontinence?:eek:
    :eek::eek:That's a line, if I ever cross it, shoot me!:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I'm not going to bother reading through all 48 posts but after reading the first few I've gotten the jist of this thread. I think the biggest runaholics are those crazy people who put nails in their running shoes so they could go running in the trechorously icy conditions in January this year. I even remember somebody sticking a cheese grater to the bottom of his/her running shoes. This is borderline insane. You guys know who you are! :D
    I think numerous injuries were had aswell during that period of very bad weather in January. Anybody who ignores logic and safety recommendations like that can only be described as a "runaholic".:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'll raise you 3 ;)

Ran 3 races on my honeymoon, Hawaii (10 miles), San Francisco (10k) and Las Vegas (5K) . Had planned racing in San Diego but divorce papers were being drafted at the time. Last race was in Vegas, I sneaked out of the room at 5.30 am hoping to be back by 9 am. Didn't get back until after noon, she hit the roof. Had no way of contacting her. Had a nice big trophy it nearly got lodged up my bum.

I'm not a runaholic I'm just an inconsiderate fit git who likes racing. Better than an inconsiderate fat git who likes drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

I'll raise you 3 ;)

Ran 3 races on my honeymoon, Hawaii (10 miles), San Francisco (10k) and Las Vegas (5K) . Had planned racing in San Diego but divorce papers were being drafted at the time. Last race was in Vegas, I sneaked out of the room at 5.30 am hoping to be back by 9 am. Didn't get back until after noon, she hit the roof. Had no way of contacting her. Had a nice big trophy it nearly got lodged up my bum.

I'm not a runaholic I'm just an inconsiderate fit git who likes racing. Better than an inconsiderate fat git who likes drinking.

As they'd say in Vegas; winner winner chicken dinner......

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I guess a 12 step program would be counterproductive... :pac:

Would have been a great story, if not for one tiny detail. Who on earth would take their OH on a romantic weekend away to ..... Limerick???? :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Would have been a great story, if not for one tiny detail. Who on earth would take their OH on a romantic weekend away to ..... Limerick???? :eek::eek::eek:

A fellow with two nights paid in a plush hotel, plus €50 pacer money burning a hole in his pocket, that's who. Should'a thunk of it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

04072511 wrote: »
    I even remember somebody sticking a cheese grater to the bottom of his/her running shoes. This is borderline insane. You guys know who you are! :D

I was one of those cheese grater people and I can assure you it was a perfectly sane and sensible way of keeping up the training last January. I don't even think I was a runaholic at the time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've forgotten what casual, non-running clothes are :confused:
    Clothes now there is a good aspect of this

Havent bought new casual clothes in a very long time ( i have enough to get by on)

Compare this to running. Gear picked up down in Dingle last weekend for the half (plus an extra t shirt or two that were floating about) got home and on Tuesday had a package arrive at the house, new running shorts jacket and singlet excellent today just ordered a load of compression shorts + t shirts online. How many people are like me with more running clothes than casual at this stage yet it never seems enough

It was the thought rather than the place that mattered. Dont worry next time it will be Venice to take her away (when is the Venice Marathon again?);)

I've forgotten what casual, non-running clothes are :confused:

Its the ones you have to wear to work after an awkward conversation with your boss about wearing your running shorts in the office:D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

those crazy people who put nails in their running shoes so they could go running in the trechorously icy conditions in January this year.

Amateurs! I was living in Canada for a few years there and invested in a pair of thesehttp://www.yaktrax.com/pro so I keep running all winter long, even when the temperature dropped down to minus 15...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Better than an inconsiderate fat git who likes drinking.

Here here - none runners just don't understand... then you have to break it to them that you prefer to race up mountains - the hassle of trying to convince them that your not mentally unstable... :rolleyes:
    I think the biggest runaholics are those crazy people who put nails in their running shoes so they could go running in the trechorously icy conditions in January this year.

I take offence to this! I had my highest running mileage in a month ever during that period. Running in mountains/ parks where the ground is nice and soft is beautiful, and the light from your head torch bounces everywhere and lights up the world around you. Its so much safer than running in deep heather with rocks and stuff... Add snow and you have something softer to fall into. Packed ice adds to core strength due to trying to keep your balance. It was beautiful. Hope we get the same again this year - I had the place to myself - cars couldn't even make it up roads to where we usually started runnign... had to run up from the base! Complete bliss

If your afraid of slipping, buy yourself a pair of O shoes!!

PLUG Orienteering in Emo Court on Sunday (12th sept) PLUG

Advertisement