Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to repeat

Options
  • 07-09-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ok, after all my "will i ,wont i" im going to repeat.
    i got my place.
    but i have to choose a 6th subject. im considering ag.science(recommended as i did bio), accounting, geography or LCVP
    however, they dont do LCVP so id be on my own.
    so which subject would be less bulk to take up for 9months?
    what can i expect when repeating?
    any tips

Thanking you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    i got my place.
    but i have to choose a 6th subject. im considering ag.science(recommended as i did bio), accounting, geography or LCVP
    any tips

Thanking you!
    Ag science course is very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Is there a project and if so, what are the marks?
    I saw this years paper and it looks hard...is there time?

Is it possible to do LCVP on your own?
    And is geography doable in 1 year or should i just go with Ag Science?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I was talking to a girl in my class who repeated and she said Ag Science is a good one to do to get points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure you have the right subject combinations to be allowed do LCVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I would advise you against doing LCVP. Very hard subject to get the top mark in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Is there a project and if so, what are the marks?
    I saw this years paper and it looks hard...is there time?

Is it possible to do LCVP on your own?
    And is geography doable in 1 year or should i just go with Ag Science?
    There's a project yeah. Well, I did it in a year, and the project over a weekend. The only problem is the paper can be very dodgy.

Why would you do LCVP anyway? I did it properly for 2 years, went over everything that my teacher said to, and I only got 50 marks. Nobody in my school has got the 70 marks in 2/3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Don't do LCVP if you are looking for more than 50 points.
    Ag Science is not easy. Project is worth 25% I think. I would try to stay away from subjects with projects because they eat into your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

I just heard from a friend of mine repeating (I'm repeating too btw!) that you can't do LCVP whether you have done it before or not as it involves project work to be done over the two years? I'm not sure how much truth is in that but I'm just warning you!

I wrote down Geography on my form
    But she said i can change soon if i feel its too much.
    So any advice on Geography? Need points outta it!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I wrote down Geography on my form
    But she said i can change soon if i feel its too much.
    So any advice on Geography? Need points outta it!!!!:rolleyes:

If you're looking for anything higher than 70 points in this extra subject then LCVP really isn't an option. That's the equivalent of a C1 at higher level. Are you looking for higher than a C1 in whatever subject you pick?

Ag science does have a project. A1's are not handed out like penny sweets despite what everyone says about the subject being an 'easy honour' or 'handy for points'

To give you some stats from this years LC (Higher Level):

Geography A1s = 3% ( All A Grades 8.9%)
    Accounting = 8.6 (All A Grades = 20.3%)
    Ag Science A1s = 3.8% (All A Grades = 9.9%)

Of course, what you're interested in should be a deciding factor too. No point doing accounting if you don't like accounts or numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭irish_man

You can't just look at the stats. The standard of students doing accounting compared to geograraphy are completely different. Look at physics. the percentage A's is 18% (afaik) but clever people do physics whereas everybody in the whole country does geography.

Don't decide on the subjects based on stats. Bad idea

If you're looking for anything higher than 70 points in this extra subject then LCVP really isn't an option. That's the equivalent of a C1 at higher level. Are you looking for higher than a C1 in whatever subject you pick?

Ag science does have a project. A1's are not handed out like penny sweets despite what everyone says about the subject being an 'easy honour' or 'handy for points'

Of course, what you're interested in should be a deciding factor too. No point doing accounting if you don't like accounts or numbers.

a C1 or even higher would be great to use for points :P
    like, for a new subject, thats pretty good!

Im hoping for 2 A1s outta my best 2 subjects and maybe a 1 B and 3 C's in the others.
    Hopefully anyways!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I did Geography last year. Like you, I'm repeating. What subjects do you already do/like? That's important! I'm taking up Agricultural Science and flicked through the book for the first time today... looks pretty good, I've been told it goes on both Biology and Geography and there's farmers in my family so it works out for me.

Geography at Leaving Cert. is very different to Junior Cert (and you certainly don't need JC level to do it!) The course is broken into a Core, Elective and Option.

Core Physical Geography, e.g. the plates, volcanoes, earthquakes (very briefly covered), mountain formation, rock types, detailed rock study (e.g. limestone, basalt) both River and Glacial Features & Processes (e.g. ox-bow lakes, glacial valleys). You'll also do sketch maps and learn map-reading skills.
    Regional Geography. I find this my favourite area of the course. We study regions across the world, e.g. cultural (India/The Islamic World...language and religion basically), geomorphological (The Burren) and core/periphery economic locations and their primary,secondary and tertiary economic activities in Ireland, the EU and a sub-continental area (e.g. India, Brazil, South Western USA). If you like History, you'll love this area I'd think. It's learning off statistics basically... dunno why I love it but I do :p

Elective You'll do HUMAN or an ECONOMIC Elective. I did Human, it concerns itself with how cities develop.. eh, that's all I remember right now, but it does tie in nicely with some regional you already study :P The ECONOMIC I didn't do but I know it concerns itself with stuff like multinational corporations. I was told if you do Business you'll do well here.

Option There's looooads of choice here but usually the teacher decides. A common choice is Geoecology. In it you study a biome (world region with a set of climate, soils, plants and animals that interact with each other, e.g. a rainforest or desert) which involves either studying 3/4 of the characteristics (mentioned in the brackets) and the human impact on said biome and characteristics (e.g. logging in the Amazon and the effect on soil/ the animals without a home, etc.). In Geoecology you also study soils, which can be tedious but it's literally how soil is formed and a profile - pure learning off and the option is guaranteed so a nice 12.5% if you like it. The others are on skoool.ie. Global Interdependence is probably 2nd in popularity, followed by Culture and Identity. I've heard The Atmosphere/Ocean option isn't that common, but I'm only basing that on my experiences.

Skootch on over to http://www.skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=3618 and you can browse through some topics. I love Geography and I think it'd be very easy to get a high C in at after one year if you like it (or even if you don't with regular study). If you really like it and study hard, don't see why you couldn't get a B. It's got a lot in common with Biology in that way, but it's less specific I think. You certainly can't make up statistics or that and expect to do really well but if you get the general idea of a topic and the main points you can get a few marks.

Anyways, just my two cents. I think you should pick the subject you prefer and ignore points because either way you'll need to spend a bit of time at it. But I liked Geography, put some work in and got an A1.

irish_man wrote: »
    You can't just look at the stats. The standard of students doing accounting compared to geograraphy are completely different. Look at physics. the percentage A's is 18% (afaik) but clever people do physics whereas everybody in the whole country does geography.

Don't decide on the subjects based on stats. Bad idea

I wasn't. I'm an ag science teacher myself. You can use statistics in whatever way you choose to highlight whatever point you want to make, as you have just done. I was making the point that Ag Science is not an easy A1 as it is constantly made out to be, yet it is consistently being chosen as a points subject, where as the less glamorous subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Accounting do get a good return on A grades because people do them because they are interested, not for an easy A. Conversely, the percentage A grades is high because people who don't think they'll do well at them avoid these subjects like the plague, which skews the results somewhat.

You're also insulting everyone that does geography by suggesting that they are not clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭irish_man

You're also insulting everyone that does geography by suggesting that they are not clever.

Ah no i'm not. I do geography myself. What I said is common knowledge. 20000 people did geogrpahy this year. I'm not going to reply to the next comment if you reply to this as I'm not interested in starting a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

geog is a ridiculously long course to do in one year - dont do it!! Prob best off doing ag.science or something like that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

...and making quite a leap to say 'clever people do physics'.

People do the subjects on offer in their school. This is determined by what qualifications the teachers have, unless you're in a school with a very large number of students where there is the leeway to bring in extra staff for minority subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

i got my place.
    any tips

Thanking you!

Hey, I don't understand this. How can you have got your course and only have 5 subjects? Forgive me if it's a dumb question, it's been a while since I done my LC!

im doing:

History HL (aim: A1)
    Geography HL (aim: C1)
    Irish OL (aim: C1)
    French HL (aim: C1)
    Art HL (aim: B1)
    Biology HL (aim: B1/A1)

Aiming for 440/50 pts for Nursing.
    So, is it possible?
    Or shud i switch to Ag.Science???:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Kinda confused now! Afraid to take on Ag Science with Geography instead of Irish...but at the same time, more points if i passed it.
    But 2 new subjects.....tooooo much???
    HELP!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

annainez wrote: »
    I just heard from a friend of mine repeating (I'm repeating too btw!) that you can't do LCVP whether you have done it before or not as it involves project work to be done over the two years? I'm not sure how much truth is in that but I'm just warning you!

I've two friends that repeated LCVP, but they could not submit the project at all, and only repeat the written paper, interview and audio visual parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

im doing:

So, is it possible?
    Kinda confused now! Afraid to take on Ag Science with Geography instead of Irish...but at the same time, more points if i passed it.
    HELP!

I think you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get A1s in History and Biology... You should really aim for a B in French, CERTAINLY Irish and if you work at it I think you could get a B in Geography. It'd be hard, but I think you're taking a risk banking on As and Cs instead of going for the Bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I repeated and took up ag science, i found the paper awful, much harder than any i had done before but still got an a1. i'm not saying that you can do that with no work but i didnt do any more work in ag than i did for any other subject and all my other subjects i had already done for 2 years. we had the course finished by febuary so could revise for the rest of the year. I think taking up 2 new subjects will be tough, for me since the english course had changed it felt like a whole new subject and i never really got to grips with it

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

lctake2 wrote: »
    for me since the english course had changed it felt like a whole new subject and i never really got to grips with it

If you don't mind me asking, did you come up in English? because a friend of mine repeated english and was sorry she did as she got the same grade and put alot of work in because of the new course so now I'm undcided on whether to repeat it or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Advising against Accounting, very tricky subject to get high grades in as they change the format of the Q's so often.

im doing:

So, is it possible?
    HELP!

It would make more sense to take up Ag Science than Irish. A C1 in OL Irish will only give you 30 points. A D3 in HL Ag Science (very very doable) will give you 45.

It would make more sense to take up Ag Science than Irish. A C1 in OL Irish will only give you 30 points. A D3 in HL Ag Science (very very doable) will give you 45.

really? do u reckon i could handle 2 new subjects?:)
    it wud be a relief not to touch irish again !!
    anyone out there who repeated and did 2 new subjectS????

really? do u reckon i could handle 2 new subjects?:)
    it wud be a relief not to touch irish again !!

Well i have no idea what your ability is like, but there is an overlap in geography and biology. What you should probably do is have a look at some of the exam papers on examinations.ie and see what you think of the topics. The project is worth 25% (of course not everyone gets 25%) but it's not too hard after that to at least get the D3

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I did three new subjects: Geography, Economics and Classical Studies, and had little problem completing the courses. Geography was close... :rolleyes:

Granted, I was in a grind school and the teachers were fantastic, but it's doable. Abandoning Irish was a treat - not only do you not need to study it, but it frees up part of the first section of the Leaving Certificate exams. While everyone else is doing two exam papers, you can be hitting the History books to try and get that A1. :)

One less oral exam isn't something to sniff at, either.

Why didn't you choose to do one of the linked Nursing Studies PLCs and get into Nursing that route?
    It would seem to me much easier than repeating and starting new subjects.

• Advertisement

can people give me a list of ag science as i cant find the checklist on skoool.ie?

what is ag science? i no its farming but what will i be learning??????:eek:

Advertisement