Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much cash do you carry around?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I only really carry enough to get by for the day!

Don't carry much cash for the simple fact I had a habit of loosing it years ago!

That and the fact if I get mugged I'd rather loose 20-30 than 200-300!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

GrumPy wrote: »
    People who rely almost entirely on plastic cards do my head in. Hate waiting behind someone in a queue buying something sub €10 or around that mark, and they whip out a ****ing card.
    Was covering at work behind the till one day for someone, and I was shocked with how many people came in a paid by card for small things. I understand having lots of cash on you can be a security issue or cumbersome, but buying a dvd for a fiver on a card is taking the piss.

I would prefer to use a card for every purchase, but with a much faster authorisation time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I've a tenner in my wallet at the mo.

I've to do grocery shopping later but I'll use my laser card.

If I'm going out I'll take out about 50 but I rarely have cash on me. I spend more when I carry cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Biggins wrote: »
    Enough to ensure that if I see something for sale, I can buy it.
    like a good price on a 50" 3d tv in a shop window?
    or do you mean if you fancy a new SUV?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Generally all the money I'm ever in possession of.

I get payed in cash and don't have a bank account.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

this thread is going to make it easier for me to steal people's wallets at the beers :D i'm not going to steal yours if you've only got a few bob on ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

422nd wrote: »
    Generally all the money I'm ever in possession of.

I get payed in cash and don't have a bank account.:D

What kind of finance minister are you supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kfallon wrote: »
    I have 10c on me at this moment in time! I don't usually carry much round with me unless I'm going out!

I'm now up to €180.10....God bless the bookies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Only €4.50 at the moment. Probably go through less than 50 quid cash most weeks.

Have a couple of laser cards and a credit card that do me for most things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I always want to punch people in the back of the head that pay with a credit or debit card in front of me when I'm in a rush.

Unless I'm using one, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

stovelid wrote: »
    I always want to punch people in the back of the head that pay with a credit or debit card in front of me when I'm in a rush.

Unless I'm using one, that is.

Well yeah, then you'd be trying to punch the cashier in the back of the head..and that's not just difficult to do, it's not very nice either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

myob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

SV wrote: »
    it's not very nice either.

It's not about nice. It's all about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some shops seem to have a really quick connection with the bank, and the authorisation goes through very quickly. Certainly quicker than the people who root through their purses/wallets to give the exact change in as many coins as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

These days never more than about €8. Enough for food for the day and change for the poverty wagon. On a night out maybe €40 for drinks and taxi home. Other than that I have plastic in case I need something expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

eoin wrote: »
    Some shops seem to have a really quick connection with the bank, and the authorisation goes through very quickly. Certainly quicker than the people who root through their purses/wallets to give the exact change in as many coins as possible.
    and then putting the coins down on the counter one by one, taking even longer for them to finish :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

About 11 deuce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I usually carry between twenty and fifty euro. Never used to carry much cash at all and used my Laser for pretty much everything, but since my bank account is feeling a bit sad at the moment, I don't do that anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Usually around 200 or 300... cos I never want to be caught short if a game of poker breaks out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm smashed now until Thursday after a bit of a weekend!! I have 40 cent siting in front of me. But I live ten minutes from work and took lunch in with me.

Normally about €20-€30 maybe less.

When I'm out at the weekend probably €100 plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I like to have at least 15 - 20 euro on me If I need to grab something to eat or I head out somewhere with a mate, that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I usually carry just plastic but for just incase situations, I have about 5-20 on me in eitehr coins or notes or a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

During the day €50-€100, on a night out €150-€200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

For general day to day going around I usually have less than €5 on me. Sometimes as low as a €1.
    I have breakfast at home, bring my lunch into work with me, don't have to pay for tea or coffee, so generally I only ever bring enough with me in case I want a bag of crisps or bar of chocolate or a can.

I find that if I carry money with me, I will find an excuse to spend it, whereas if don't have the cash I am not inclined to bother going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I like to have at least 15 - 20 euro on me If I need to grab something to eat or I head out somewhere with a mate, that kinda thing.

And a few hundred for buying presents for your wife? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A few euro, I prefer just using debit or credit cards.
    I do have some sterling left over from my holiday but that's only £7.
    Rarely need cash when there isn't an atm nearby, so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

ash23 wrote: »
    I've a tenner in my wallet at the mo.

I've to do grocery shopping later but I'll use my laser card.

If I'm going out I'll take out about 50 but I rarely have cash on me. I spend more when I carry cash.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

sealgaire wrote: »
    The lads who say they carry a couple of grand around are talking through their hole

or have handguns and carry the notes in rolls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Fuzzy wrote: »
    About 6 of us had around 10k on the lunch table a few minutes ago, I was surprised too. But I guess some people just pay for large expenses with cash instead of plastic.
    are you a poker player? me and 5 friends where goin to play one day between the 6 of us we had 50k i only had 1700 though i am the poor one

Advertisement