Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much cash do you carry around?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Just curious about how much cash people carry around.
    Some of the guys were chatting about this today, and I was surprised with the results.
    Some of the guys never ever carry anything, not a cent. Just plastic cards.
    Some only carry enough for a meal.
    A surprising amount of people always carry large enough amounts of cash wherever they go. A couple of the guys said they don´t leave home without a couple of grand in their pockets or bag.

What say you AHers, how much cash do you have in your pocket normally?
    And do ye agree with this switch that most developed countries are making to a mostly cashless society?

How much? 155 votes

not a cent (am broke!)
    0% 0 votes
    nada (plastic, baby!)
    2% 4 votes
    0-20
    8% 13 votes
    20-100
    30% 47 votes
    100-500
    44% 69 votes
    500 +
    14% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

The lads who say they carry a couple of grand around are talking through their hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

2-300 usually on me I think

I dunno, I don't be minding..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Usually around €40 but on rent day it is more. I know a couple of poker players you don't carry coins, the smallest they carry are €5 notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

usually just enough for my lunch. if im going out on the town, i might bring 60 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

And if you carry loads where are you right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

About a fiddy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My old man brought me up right enough to know, never give anyone the idea you've enough for someone to steal...

That being said the rattling in my pocket... is... just my keys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Why would someone carry a couple of grand around? for contingency? would wreck your head on a night out as would probably end up losing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

sealgaire wrote: »
    The lads who say they carry a couple of grand around are talking through their hole
    About 6 of us had around 10k on the lunch table a few minutes ago, I was surprised too. But I guess some people just pay for large expenses with cash instead of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I have 10c on me at this moment in time! I don't usually carry much round with me unless I'm going out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Why would someone carry a couple of grand around? for contingency? would wreck your head on a night out as would probably end up losing it

Or end up having the night of your life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Only enough for coke and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Usually less than 20 quid in my wallet unless I'm either going out or on my way to buy something.

See people coming into work with massive wads of fifties in their wallets. Really can't understand that, if they happen to get mugged they'll end up losing hundreds if not thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Just my debit card. Unless I'm going out to dinner/ drinks with a group. Then take about €40 out of ATM. No need for taxi fare because I live in the city. I drink at home beforehand so only buy a couple of drinks out. Gotta be thrifty in these times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Night of your life if you could remember it, probably have no memory and think you lost it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

At least €1000 at all times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

honestly i rarely have more than €10 pretty much a plastic man all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Rarely ever more than 70 euro unless I'm planning on buying something. I try not to use my credit card very often too so don't usually carry that with me

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

Usually between 250 and 350. Just in case anything happens or there's an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

€50 - €100. I prefer to use cards where possible, but not for paying for lunches and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Only carry about 10 - and with that, no change apart from a couple of 2 euros. Hate having a pile of change in my wallet! Plastic is the only way!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Usually nothing, sometimes lift change if I'm going to be going through tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

If I'm not about to shop then usually 20-70. Once I get down to 20 I'll take out another 50. At the weekends I'll take out another 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

People who rely almost entirely on plastic cards do my head in. Hate waiting behind someone in a queue buying something sub €10 or around that mark, and they whip out a ****ing card.
    Was covering at work behind the till one day for someone, and I was shocked with how many people came in a paid by card for small things. I understand having lots of cash on you can be a security issue or cumbersome, but buying a dvd for a fiver on a card is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

about 21.60, enough for whatever the day brings in (int he 20) and a bus fare home if I go to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Anywhere between 50 and 500 usually, I am a poker player though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

At the moment i have 365 Eur in my wallet plus 1,000 bankroll in my pocket for gambling or playing poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

€20-30. Lived in Holland for a while and they are definitely moving towards a cashless society. No issue whatsoever paying for an item of any value with a debit card. That said, the terminals they have for processing the transaction are lightning fast so it makes it much easier.

I've a mate that carries around at least €1,000 with him "just in case". Insane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Enough to ensure that if I see something for sale, I can buy it.

Advertisement