Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ayrton Senna - The Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I got in touch with the director of the film via Twitter. He has said it will be released in Ireland on the 3rd of June, same date as the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

I saw a trailer for this in the IFI in temple bar, so I'm sure they will be showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

Outstanding, great initiative in contacting the director :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Blanchguy wrote: »
    I saw a trailer for this in the IFI in temple bar, so I'm sure they will be showing it.
    Torlac wrote: »
    Outstanding, great initiative in contacting the director :D

I hope for us outside of Dublin that this movie actually plays outside of Dublin. As a cinema buff it can it hard to see foreign films or docs if you happen to live "down the country."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

That's deadly news, I was skeptical of it coming to Ireland to be honest but looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Watched this film in full the other night with full english subs to cover the foreign spoken parts. It really is a great film well worth the watch.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Watched this film in full the other night with full english subs to cover the foreign spoken parts. It really is a great film well worth the watch.

Doing my best to fight the temptation to watch a download of it! It comes out in time for the Spanish GP so might try and see it when im over there or else wait til it comes out here in June, any interest in a boards night at the cinema from anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jv2000

TCP/IP wrote: »

Managed to see it last week as well with the english subs, it was a great movie. Severe anti-French bias though :D

I am planning to see this again in the cinema when it is released here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Couldn't be arsed tbh. Never could stand the fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

frostie500 wrote: »
    Doing my best to fight the temptation to watch a download of it! It comes out in time for the Spanish GP so might try and see it when im over there or else wait til it comes out here in June, any interest in a boards night at the cinema from anyone?

Seems like a plan

Early screening and a few beers after ftw

Only after watching the extended 2hr40min download with Subtitles and i have to be honest at points tears were flowing,it is very well made and i cannot wait to see it on the big screen

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Couldn't be arsed tbh. Never could stand the fella.

Im biting

Grade 1 knob and troll

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tommiejoie

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Only after watching the extended 2hr40min download with Subtitles and i have to be honest at points tears were flowing,it is very well made and i cannot wait to see it on the big screen

Theres an extended version??

tommiejoie wrote: »
    Theres an extended version??

Yep seems so

I downloaded it last night all 8 gig of it and still had to download the subtitle file separate

Its the Film with extra talky bits

Lots of extra talky bits :D

Still going to the cinema to see it though cant wait to see it on the big screen

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Alright lets take it easy. Senna isnt everybodys cup of tea if he doesnt like him then fair enough.

Sorry i snapped there but when i read the post after watching the film i got a little bit narky

I agree that Senna was not liked by all same as Vettel Schuey Teflonso etc

But there is no need for that post all he is is a WUM

Anyway on topic anyone who loves F1 who misses this movie needs there head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Anyway on topic anyone who loves F1 who misses this movie needs there head examined

Not a huge fan of F1 these days as it's not what it used to be.
    Defo gonna check this movie out though as I was and still am a huge Senna fan, the man knew how to drive and was one of the fiercest competitors I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tommiejoie

Yep seems so

I downloaded it last night all 8 gig of it and still had to download the subtitle file separate

Its the Film with extra talky bits

Lots of extra talky bits :D

Still going to the cinema to see it though cant wait to see it on the big screen

Is it stuff some guy just cut into the movie or genuine content from the filmmakers? I had felt there were a couple of crucial moments left out of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I have to say Im pretty disappointed with this. It seems boring, and drawn out. Not at all what I was expecting. Its really about his racing career and little about Senna as a man, a brother or a philanthropist. I expected there to be a lot about racing of course, but I really expected something more introspective, deep. The guys that spoke about Ayrton during the movie bored me to tears and they werent talking a lot of fanboish drivel. It just seemed uninspiring, so much so I questioned if I have the right movie. It really could have done with more of Senna talking than these guys IMO. More onboard qualifying laps wouldnt have gone astray either.

Hate to be so negative about it, but if you are expecting something about Senna as a person, this is not going to cut the bill. It is an OK docmentary as far as his racing career goes.

On the upside, its nice to see what I would guess is best possible quality of the older footage, the sound of the cars are phenominal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bigdong

This is great movie! I think everyone who is interested in motor sports should see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Where in Ireland is showing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

ottostreet wrote: »
    Where in Ireland is showing this?
    The Gate cinema and Mahon Point cinema in Cork are both advertising if thats of any use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

i seen a poster for it in vue, liffey valley

Killinator wrote: »
    The Gate cinema and Mahon Point cinema in Cork are both advertising if thats of any use.

Thanks, but Cork is a little far for me to travel!
    guyfo wrote: »
    i seen a poster for it in vue, liffey valley

Vue is less than an hour's drive for me, so I'd head there...It's out in June isn't it? I have a friend working in Vue so I may ask him when they're showing it...wahey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jay lazy

Avoid the extended Blu ray(8gb) version available to download, the extra interviews crudely cut into the footage ruin the film, the American commentator getting tearful is so OTT.

I'm going to watch the standard version again tonight with spanish subtitles along with a few F1 fans in Barcelona.

The standard version is a very powerful film BUT U still think that no Mansell, Berger, Rushden, Gordon Murray and murray Walker is incredible.

Also not showing Donington 93 and using Monaco 90 in car footage for the famous Monaco 88 'tunnel' pole lap is very amateurish

I'd rate it 7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

bump because this film was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

My local cinema in Monaghan is screening it so if the little guys are screening it then I'd say it will be throughout the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just seen a tweet from the director, Omniplex cinemas are showing it in Ireland. Don't know which ones or if it's all of their chain

Saw a poster for it in Cineworld on Parnell Street the other day

I downloaded it and watched it. Excellent quality with subtitles where appropriate. Some great footage I've never seen before.

What I couldn't get over was them showing the last lap onboard followed by the crash camera, all at proper speed. It was over so fast. One second he's leading a grand prix, a driver at the top of his game, the next, he's smashed into a wall and he's gone.

Insane, but the film is well worth a watch. It doesn't try to show him as being a nice guy, or bad, just as he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

how is the imola weekend handled?

• Advertisement

matty55 wrote: »
    how is the imola weekend handled?

I think its done well. There is no shying away from it, but no speculation or extraneous crap. The footage shows the violence of the crashes very well, Barrichellos in particular. Also a camera angle from a spectator of Ratzenbergers crash I've never seen. I was in tears watching the build up on the grid as they showed an obviously agitated Senna, knowing what was coming.

I loved the movie. There is a lot of avenues and incidents that got ignored which I think is bad, but at such a long running time already, I'm not sure what you can do. For instance, Gerhard Berger may as well have not existed. Nigel Mansell and Piquet basically were in 1 scene each. I wouldn't view the film as definitive, but it is as good as I think we're going to get. A good balance of info for the F1 fanatic, with enough layman talking about him for the more casual watcher. Why Murray Walker wasn't interviewed either is bewildering.

Advertisement