Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ayrton Senna - The Movie

Options
  • 06-09-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hard to believe that is is 16 years already.

This autumn a documentary movie about the Ayrton Senna will come out and hopefully to a movie theatre near me.

check out the trailer here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

I heard they're only releasing it in countries that host a grand prix. Really hope its not true!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thats ok since we held a grand prix back in the day.

Does the 1930s really count in the eyes of Bernie?

Senna raced at Mondello Park back in F3 i think. Maybe that will count for somethin!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Does the 1930s really count in the eyes of Bernie?

The 1930s and 1940s he loved. 1945 was a bit of a bummer for him and Max though

What ever happens it won't be released in the uk (and hopefully ireland) until the new year according to james allen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Senna raced at Mondello Park back in F3 i think

In 82 in FF2000, he won the Leinster Trophy that weekend, the very same trophy our Mod Ficus won on Sunday :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030351

:cool:

Kersh wrote: »
    In 82 in FF2000, he won the Leinster Trophy that weekend, the very same trophy our Mod Ficus won on Sunday :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030351

:cool:

I wonder was Tommy Byrne who also went on to compete in F1 driving against him? Anyone read his book? You wouldnt know wether to believe half the stuff in it or not. Good read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

They never raced against each other (properly, they may have done the odd round here and there in 83 F3 together with Byrne in inferior equipment) Senna went back to Brazil, and said He wouldnt be back. Then obviously came back for FF2000 in 82, and F3 in 83.

Byrnes book is a great read . . and being heavily immersed in motorsport in Ireland for a good few years now, I wouldnt say alot of the stories are far from the truth . . ;) . . crazy times back then. Heard quite a few of the stories word of mouth long before the book came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Kersh wrote: »
    They never raced against each other (properly, they may have done the odd round here and there in 83 F3 together with Byrne in inferior equipment) Senna went back to Brazil, and said He wouldnt be back. Then obviously came back for FF2000 in 82, and F3 in 83.

Byrnes book is a great read . . and being heavily immersed in motorsport in Ireland for a good few years now, I wouldnt say alot of the stories are far from the truth . . ;) . . crazy times back then. Heard quite a few of the stories word of mouth long before the book came out.

Joey Greenan is the Irish driver he battled with for the Leinster Trophy in 82. Have the video of it at home from an RPM show of about 15/ 16 years ago. Senna (or Senna Da Silva, as Plum referred to him in the commentary) overtook him round the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Advertisement

RTE used to have a fair bit of coverage from Mondello back then. I'm sure I must have watched that at the time. I remember watching other years.

This makes me want to see it so much more!

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/buxton-senna-the-movie/

Sorry for Bumping the thread again:( but Google streetview allows you to see the street named after him in Sao Paulo.

Just look up this road in Streetview:

Rod. Ayrton Senna da Silva - Cangaíba
    São Paulo, Brazil

I'm sure there must be a Pele Road somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Senna (or Senna Da Silva, as Plum referred to him in the commentary) overtook him round the outside

When Ayrton returned to Europe to race again, it was against the wishes of his father, so rather than racing under Senna as his last name, he entered as Da Sliva (Mother's name).

Can't wait to see this movie. Senna e basta!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I was reading Jonathon Noble's review of the film and decided to post it here. Its on the Autosport website but I think its in the subscriber content so I've quoted it below.

From the reports we've had on his film it really seems to connect with the audience emotionally and capture the essence of both Senna and, more importantly, the sport.
    I confess, I'm in love once more. Formula 1 has pulled my heart strings like it hasn't done for years. It's like being a teenager all over again. For just under two hours in Japan earlier this week I was absolutely mesmerised by what I witnessed.

Sitting there transfixed, I experienced almost every emotion under the sun and was left mentally shattered by the end. From laughter and smiling at one moment, I went on a journey that pushed me through intense pride, excitement, fear and also sadness.

But this experience had little to do with what was going on at the Suzuka race track. Instead, it came in a small cinema in a suberb of Nagoya which I had bust a gut to get to so I could see the new movie about Ayrton Senna.

The feature film documentary 'Senna' has drawn a huge amount of interest from racing fans since the trailers for the Japanese and Brazilian versions appeared on the Internet in recent weeks. It was no wonder that, when myself and everyone else in the F1 paddock got a first chance to go see it, there was an eager rush to do so.

Whether it was the F1 journalists and team members who wangled their way into the back of the sneak preview offered to Suzuka fans on the Thursday; or it was the numerous members of the paddock who purchased their cinema tickets and sat in various cinemas around Japan, nobody was left disappointed or unmoved by what they watched.

Focusing on Senna's F1 career from the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix to the fateful weekend at Imola a decade later, the entire film was filled with magical moments: be it the music, the on-board footage or the behind-the-scenes moments that captured what this legendary Brazilian was like.

I don't want to spoil what will be a great movie experience for any F1 fan when it finally gets it worldwide release in the middle of next year, but its success comes from the intimacy of the journey: and the fact that you feel a part of all he experienced during his life.

You see the pleasure and pain of his world title success; you live there on-board with him during some of his famous racing laps; you share the embrace in the garage between father and son after that emotional victory at the 1991 Brazilian Grand Prix; and you cannot help but be overcome by the brutality of the Imola weekend as it plays out through both your eyes and his.

Although lost in personal thoughts after the credits roll, the over-riding feeling from watching it was that it provided a stark reminder of just why each of us has an amazing passion and love for F1.

We all accept that sometimes grand prix racing fails to deliver, and it can get boring at times when we're forced to keep defending the sport from the cynics who slam it for a lack of overtaking or a lack of interaction with the fans. But on the flipside it can produce real magic that stands up the hairs on your neck time and again.

With the speed the sport moves at, it is hard sometimes to really appreciate all that we are getting blessed with. For those of us that travel to each race, time gets lost in an endless sequence of plane journeys and hotel rooms – and sometimes we forget what country we are in, let alone who won the last race.

It is that rush of time that explains why one second we are looking forward to the season opener in Bahrain and the next, suddenly, we are just three races from the end of the campaign. Why one minute a promising talent like Senna emerges on the scene and the next he is taken away from us.

So to kick back for two hours and be reminded of all that we love about F1 – even though it rammed home again just what a cruel sport it can also be – has lifted my spirits for the end of what may yet go down as the greatest F1 season.

The title battle appears to be distilling into a three-way contest but, with the way the campaign has already delivered surprises and shocks, do not write off the McLaren boys just yet. For with things so tight at the top of the table – and car performance advantage not clear for the final events – there are untold possibilities for the rest of the year.

Can Mark Webber lift himself up to get the win that would end Sebastian Vettel's title hopes? Will the Red Bull boys take points off each other and gift the crown to Fernando Alonso? Can Vettel keep away the mistakes that proved so costly for him earlier in the campaign? Can McLaren bounce back from its wobbles?

There is everything to play for, and had Senna been here today he would have loved what he was seeing. This is a title fight not dominated by the politics and bitterness that left Senna so despondent at times, but full of all that he and us love.

"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough," Senna once said. There are five men now who know exactly what he means. And sat in that Nagoya cinema, I was reminded of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Parts of this trailer made me feel sad :(

It's one of those things, I really want to see it but at the same time I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 murf 1990

matty55 wrote: »
    Senna raced at Mondello Park back in F3 i think. Maybe that will count for somethin!!!:D

I not much of a circuit racing man more of a rally man but senna was special made f1 more enjoyable Motorsport lost one of its greatest people at imola 94 great to see the film coming out as i was only 4yrs old at the time

Senna was a ruthless racing driver but also compassionate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-2pfRHg_Q&feature=grec_index

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I remember the Top Gear episode in this season when Clarkson did basically a 10-15 minute segment on Senna, it was very good, and one of the best pieces that TG or Clarkson have ever produced, a great wtach and reminder of just what a talent Senna was.

Cant wait to see this movie if im honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stigofthesump

Joey Greenan is the Irish driver he battled with for the Leinster Trophy in 82. Have the video of it at home from an RPM show of about 15/ 16 years ago. Senna (or Senna Da Silva, as Plum referred to him in the commentary) overtook him round the outside

Joey missed a gear and has been telling anyone who'll listen for the past 28 years that there was no way Senna would have got past him otherwise! Movie should be great. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Can't wait for this. Senna was awesome.

I only wish I was old enough to fully appreciate him when he was alive.

Its coming out in Britain on June 3rd so I assume its the same date in Ireland !?!

BTW it won the audience documentary award at the sundance film festival - thats huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Its coming out in Britain on June 3rd so I assume its the same date in Ireland !?!

BTW it won the audience documentary award at the sundance film festival - thats huge!

There is no confirmed date for Ireland, originally the plan was to release the film in "selected markets." It was generally understood that this would be a limited release in countries with a Grand Prix and places like the US. The success of the film at Sundance could change that so fingers crossed!

The Film has been given a 12A Cert in Britain http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF277113

I contacted Cineworld in Dublin and they didn't know if it was coming to Ireland!! Hopefully we get an answer soon!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Aye cannot wait for it to come out, hopefully it will get a release here.
    UK trailer for it was out a week or so ago, pretty similar to the Japanese version I think. Worth a watch again anyway. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Tried watching it the other night but just couldn't get into it and gave up after about 30-40mins. Version I saw had a lot of parts in Spanish with no subtitles so that probably didn't help matters.

Will give it another shot if it gets properly released over here.

Advertisement