Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best zombie killing weapons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

mayordenis wrote: »
    Standard push lawnmower, cut the arms of it and strap it to your chest.
    how do you keep it well fueled?
    how do you carry it? how do you strap it to you :P what happens when there's Z's 360 around you?

why am I so critical :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

SmileyPaul wrote: »

Safety first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

my double barrell shotgun would have to do as realistically its all i have at da house ive over a hundred catridges so that would take care of a few till i get the car and drive around till i try make sense of things!
    zombie attack cant be planned what if your at work? mass etc etc????

a gun can only fire so many rounds before heating up gettin dirty and jamming up! automatic weapons especially

but if i had a good vantage point and got a solid supply of ammo a .223 with a good scope would be used for popping off .22lr mite not have the power?

id rather have a safe place with food than the best gun in the world to be honest

if it happens were ****ed to be honest there would be far too many of them
    and your never gonna have the ammunition to wipe them all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Gravity is my choice

my double barrell shotgun would have to do as realistically its all i have at da house ive over a hundred catridges so that would take care of a few till i get the car and drive around till i try make sense of things!

a gun can only fire so many rounds before heating up gettin dirty and jamming up! automatic weapons especially

but if i had a good vantage point and got a solid supply of ammo a .223 with a good scope would be used for popping off .22lr mite not have the power?

id rather have a safe place with food than the best gun in the world to be honest

who said about needing ammunition ;)

you just need to be smart to survive, might not need a boom stick at all
    just something for your own safety if you can plan everything right and keep yourself devoid of emotion for a couple of months :P

EDIT: wolf...... what des that even mean? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

how do you keep it well fueled?
    how do you carry it? how do you strap it to you :P what happens when there's Z's 360 around you?

Get another mower and strap it to your back? :p

But on a serious note, there's a flaw to this: my standard push lawnmower, you have to hold a bar down to keep the motor going. IMO, this is too complicated. Simple would be better if you want to survive.

Not critical...careful. You want to survive. You have to question everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SillyDan

barret 50.cal

Go back to playing CoD.

I have an axe in the shed... that's enough for me. In the event of zombie apocalypse, stealth & evasion would be my main weapon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think we would be ****ed, everyone is applying the American scenario to Ireland and it won't fit in the real world. Outside of Dublin Ireland isn't that densely populated and even Dublin itself isn't all that densely populated by international standards. Our lack of decent public transport and love of cars keeps people separated when going to and from work which would cut down infection rates.

Ireland's geology and very different population spread (one off housing like Ireland's just isn't allowed in other countries) will slow down any infectious spread. This will allow the message to get around (Irelands gossip network will notify the entire country within hours).

I think past experience with foot and mouth will also go in our favour as we already have plans in place and people more than willing to comply to save their stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think we would be ****ed, everyone is applying the American scenario to Ireland and it won't fit in the real world. Outside of Dublin Ireland isn't that densely populated and even Dublin itself isn't all that densely populated by international standards. Our lack of decent public transport and love of cars keeps people separated when going to and from work which would cut down infection rates.

Ireland's geology and very different population spread (one off housing like Ireland's just isn't allowed in other countries) will slow down any infectious spread. This will allow the message to get around (Irelands gossip network will notify the entire country within hours).

I think past experience with foot and mouth will also go in our favour as we already have plans in place and people more than willing to comply to save their stock.

it all depend on the intelligence/speed and agresssion of the zombies to be fair! if they can drive and can smell humans and know where every last human is and will hunt them all till theyre dead then we have no chance! but if they are slow and stupid then maybe wed have a chance since then theyre only strength is in numbers and main factor is how quick the disease spreads too many factors to take into account here but you made a great point that i didnt take into account before is that ya the more rural your location in theory the safer you are

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

the more rural your location in theory the safer you are
    Unitl the first waves of refugees start flooding in bringing the threat with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

I think the best weapon if you know how to use it is a bow and arrow.

Never fired one, but im guessing if you are good at it then you should get one.
    All you would need to do is learn on how to make arrows. You could never really run out of ammo for it:
    1. You can always make more
    2. Unless the zombies run off with your arrow you can always retreive it when the coast is clear.

O and the best part of a cross bow. Its Silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

seanhowlin wrote: »
    I think the best weapon if you know how to use it is a bow and arrow.

Never fired one, but im guessing if you are good at it then you should get one.
    All you would need to do is learn on how to make arrows. You could never really run out of ammo for it:
    1. You can always make more
    2. Unless the zombies run off with your arrow you can always retreive it when the coast is clear.

O and the best part of a cross bow. Its Silent.

and very slow to fire

as for the bow and arrow yes its a great weapon to use and it is also silent, but as a qualified archery instructor i can tell you
    1. bows need lots of maintainance
    2.unless you know everything about your bow (draw weight, arrow weight, distance, gravity, wind, arrow composure and fletching state) it is unlikely that you will hit your target
    3. they are slow firing, an experienced archer (like myself) will at the fastest be able to fire 1 arrow every 3-6 seconds without any proper accuracy
    4. arrows are a perfection, everything from size weight composure fletchings and how straight your arrows are have to be taken into account, 1 mm sticking out at the side of the shaft can the difference between hitting and severely missing your target
    5. firing a bow is an extremely tiresome practice, you will lose strength in your arm very quickly
    6. wooden arrows (that you would make yourself) are brittle and unless they are made with proper wood like say yew and even then its still fairly hard (took me a good while to learn how to do it properly)

sorry to say but archers will agree its not the best weapon for the job

crossbows are sh1t anyway:p

Arrows where only effective as a weapon on a battlefield when great numbers could fire hundreds of arrows in an arc onto a specific patch. Which would probably be more effective at dealing with a large horde scenario (if you had numbers) than guns as the arrows would be falling from above increasing the odds of getting a critical hit on the head without drawing the horde towards the the people doing the firing.

In a clean up operation given the time to prepare arrows could be effective allowing you to save the guns for the living.

would it be possible for an arrow to break through a human skull with only the force of gravity to help it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

would it be possible for an arrow to break through a human skull with only the force of gravity to help it though?

That's what I was thinking, wouldn't the strategy mentioned of dealing with a horde by letting off a volley of arrows be relying on a 1066 "Harold" hit through the eye? Might be lucky with 1 in 20 arrows, I don't like those odds.

the arrow would still have the velocity from the initial firing of the bow and with the right type of arrows ie. broadhead arrows yes they can still go through a human skull

Ahh, I didn't really take that into account. I was thinking along the lines if you shot directly into the air, it would accelerate to 0 (yes that sentence was correct) before beginning it's fall at 9.81m per sencond ;)

Ahh, I didn't really take that into account. I was thinking along the lines if you shot directly into the air, it would accelerate to 0 (yes that sentence was correct) before beginning it's fall at 9.81m per sencond ;)

that sentence was wrong, it would de-cellerate to 0, and arrows were mainly used for the vollying purpose so it would be very effective

that sentence was wrong, it would de-cellerate to 0, and arrows were mainly used for the vollying purpose so it would be very effective
    that's the pitfall I told you to mind :)

in physics terms Accelteration is used for both the speeding up and slowing down of an object :) thats why I said that sentence was correct

a car moving 60kmph accelerates to 100 as well as accelerating to 0 :)

unfortunately in most dictionarys they have it as only speeding up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A schlong, a whistle and a cardboard cut-out of Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

kick_axe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

SillyDan wrote: »
    Go back to playing CoD.

I have an axe in the shed... that's enough for me. In the event of zombie apocalypse, stealth & evasion would be my main weapon though.

i actually dont play call of duty and dont play any video games but with a high vantage point with a nice barret you could do well

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I don't know where you guys are gonna get all these weapons.

My father used to work in the Garda Headquarters in the Phoenix park, all confiscated guns are destroyed after being used as evidence so that only leaves a few smith and wessons, sig p226, Walther p99, Uzi's & MP7's which I reckon the guards will be reluctant to give out. Hunting rifles and shotguns are all you'll be able to get your hands on. I'd be going either for a .375 .338 round. Probably a CZ 550.

For melee, probably a crow bar or hurley/baseball bat. Blunt force would win over a sharp blade when it comes to the head I reckon. Reinforcing the cab of a tractor would be a good idea for when **** hits the fan. But hopefully I'd be safe living in the middle of nowhere halfway up a mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd just pop over to one of the army barracks in Dublin. Better chance of getting weapons that, well, still work.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    all confiscated guns are destroyed after being used as evidence

no they arent

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

I don't know where you guys are gonna get all these weapons.

My father used to work in the Garda Headquarters in the Phoenix park, all confiscated guns are destroyed after being used as evidence so that only leaves a few smith and wessons, sig p226, Walther p99, Uzi's & MP7's which I reckon the guards will be reluctant to give out. Hunting rifles and shotguns are all you'll be able to get your hands on. I'd be going either for a .375 .338 round. Probably a CZ 550.

For melee, probably a crow bar or hurley/baseball bat. Blunt force would win over a sharp blade when it comes to the head I reckon. Reinforcing the cab of a tractor would be a good idea for when **** hits the fan. But hopefully I'd be safe living in the middle of nowhere halfway up a mountain

our good zombie republican friends might lend us a couple of ar-15 or gpmgs

For melee, probably a crow bar or hurley/baseball bat.
    I'd question the reliability of the hurley/baseball bat. Great at disabling a living person quickly but I don't think either would stand up to prolonged abuse.

Unless you modify it.

battlehurl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭TerrenceAnth

My choices are simple but effective

odst2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement