Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Blair pelted with eggs at book signing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Mezcita wrote: »
    You said that the people of Ireland have been "enslaved" by the actions our government. The idea is therefore that we are somehow slaves who have no free choice about what to do with our lives. Complete nonsense.

remember the Lisbon vote? And the second vote because the political class and the EU didn't like the first democratic vote?

And yes -ENSLAVED - generations to come will be forced to pay off our bankster and politicans debt

Basically I'd suggest that if you don't like the government which was democratically elected by the people of Ireland you should perhaps leave.

thanks - do you mean like the tens of thousands forced to emmigrate because of what the present political class are guilty of letting occur?

whats democratic about refusing a vote in the three by election areas that would remove the government?

And who'd lend to us again if we just decided to not pay our debts back and instead go and burn stuff down?

the same people lending to Iceland and realising they are no longer encumbered by massive debt and so able to repay new debt perhaps

plenty of countries have done the same in the past including Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

sligopark wrote: »
    remember the Lisbon vote? And the second vote because the political class and the EU didn't like the first democratic vote?

And yes -ENSLAVED - generations to come will be forced to pay off our bankster and politicans debt

thanks - do you mean like the tens of thousands forced to emmigrate because of what the present political class are guilty of letting occur?

whats democratic about refusing a vote in the three by election areas that would remove the government?

the same people lending to Iceland and realising they are no longer encumbered by massive debt and so able to repay new debt perhaps

plenty of countries have done the same in the past including Russia

And what about the next time you don't think we should pay debts and riot instead? The lenders will cop on fairly quickly if they're going to lose money everytime they lend to Ireland. Thus no money and the country even worse off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You're contradicting yourself.

You say that future of generations are essentially enslaved by the huge debt involved. But then state that people are volunatarily emmigrating in their thousands to escape said debt.

It's simple. By leaving you dodge the bullet of "Angela's Ashes" style poverty now destroying Ireland. Leave us behind to our rubbish healthcare, the imminent 50% unemployment rate, the people literally starving in the streets.

Please, save yourself. Before it's too late.

You're contradicting yourself.

You say that future of generations are essentially enslaved by the huge debt involved. But then state that people are volunatarily emmigrating in their thousands to escape said debt.

as their choice now and as was in the past
    It's simple. By leaving you dodge the bullet of "Angela's Ashes" style poverty now destroying Ireland. Leave us behind to our rubbish healthcare, the imminent 50% unemployment rate, the people literally starving in the streets.

Please, save yourself. Before it's too late.

:D I live in the best place in the world geographically (having previously travelled) I prefer to stay on and do the right thing and invoke violent protest and engage in riot and targetting of politicians and banksters until a time when the IMF intervenes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

If he's a war criminal then why hasn't he been tried as one? And how is flinging your sandals at him going to change that?

I'm sure that he is guilty of some war crimes but violent protests like that never achieve anything. People would be better off pressuring those with the power to charge him to do so

That has got to be one of the most stupid questions I have ever read on the internet ever. If you really need to ask that, step away from the keyboard please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dublincelt wrote: »
    That has got to be one of the most stupid questions I have ever read on the internet ever. If you really need to ask that, step away from the keyboard please!

You didn't answer the question, as dumb as you think it was =p

I'm deadly serious about it too.. if he's such a blatant war criminal then why has he not been legally brought into question over it? Surely him signing a book and drawing protesters is a sad side-effect of that question going unanswered..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

as their choice now and as was in the past

Ever so slightly different situation though. Millions emmigrated during the famine as there was literally nothing to eat. Now, obviously given our now enslaved population, such times are only a matter of months away due to the incompetence of our governent. Right?

Oh.

:D I live in the best place in the world geographically (having previously travelled) I prefer to stay on and do the right thing and invoke violent protest and engage in riot and targetting of politicians and banksters until a time when the IMF intervenes ;)

And I look forward to watching you and the six (maybe seven) other people who favour such methods receiving the full attention of the Irish legal system.

"Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Attendee: Brought peace?
    Reg: Oh, peace - shut up!
    Reg: There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all.
    Dissenter: Uh, well, one.
    Reg: Oh, yeah, yeah, there's one. But otherwise, we're solid. "

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

You didn't answer the question, as dumb as you think it was =p

I'm deadly serious about it too.. if he's such a blatant war criminal then why has he not been legally brought into question over it? Surely him signing a book and drawing protesters is a sad side-effect of that question going unanswered..?

Ask yourself, how did LBJ escape sanction over the countless millions killed in Vietnam?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

How about Regan and has tacit support of the killings in Central America?

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Ronald_Reagan/WarCrimes_Reagan_iF.html

How about Ariel Sharon? (Sabra and Shatila).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre

What "western" criminal court is going to prosecute Tony Blair for his crimes in Iraq??

http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=234

Tony Blair, Lyndon Johnson, Ronald Regan, Ariel Sharon have not been inside a court to face up to their crimes against humanity. It doesn’t however mean that they are not warmongering idealists.

It just means that they and people like them in the civilised "west" will never be brought to account for killing as long as it furthers their agenda. LBJ (Defeat Communism) Regan (Defeat Communism/Maintain stanglehold of wealth, Ariel Sharon, Secure a Safe homeland for the downtrodden (Jews), Blair (Stop the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction by a "rogue state")
    It is all a game. Blair IS a War Criminal. I dont need to see him INSIDE a court to know that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Typical no balls to even recgognise the truth, mass trolling that is boards.ie. David Kelly? Lord Hutton locking the autopsy from public view for 70 years? Reality?

If I ever saw Bush or Blair I'd throw my shoes at 'em without hesitation. Fair play to 'em, shame they missed.

Spacedog wrote: »
    Typical no balls to even recgognise the truth, mass trolling that is boards.ie. David Kelly? Lord Hutton locking the autopsy from public view for 70 years? Reality?

If I ever saw Bush or Blair I'd throw my shoes at 'em without hesitation. Fair play to 'em, shame they missed.

Why what would you hope to achieve by throwing your shoe at him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dublincelt wrote: »
    Ask yourself

I have done.. and I have no doubt that there have been discrepancies in the past as well as the more recent ones.. they continue to happen because those calling them to question remain on the fringes. The fringe is a difficult place to settle though, when trying to prove current claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eradicate

How bad was it? My husband said he was in easons and saw him. but he didnt see any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

Eradicate wrote: »
    How bad was it? My husband said he was in easons and saw him. but he didnt see any trouble

That was my impression too. I think the journalists were looking to report a fight and took every opportunity to report one.

Perhaps one person threw one egg, and one person threw one shoe. Perhaps those missiles didn't hit Mr Blair. Not quite a "pelting" but a less exciting headline. After the melee left, I saw some red dye on the pavement outside Easons, so I suppose that was thrown to simulate the blood spilled but I didn't see any mention of that.

For instance it was reported on some news site that Blair left by a side door. I was in the queue at the side door and I didn't see him leave. On the evening news, it appeared to me that he left in a 4-door silver saloon from the front of the building. So, don't believe everything you read in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

They were a disgrace and an embarrassment to the country, hypocrites too.
    Ok...
    Gardai should have baton charged them
    I had to laugh.

Ever so slightly different situation though. Millions emmigrated during the famine as there was literally nothing to eat.

yes

http://www.irishholocaust.org/
    Now, obviously given our now enslaved population, such times are only a matter of months away due to the incompetence of our governent.

not sure of you but I know of more than a few families particularly struggling right now and not months away but weeks away from no income

And I look forward to watching you and the six (maybe seven) other people who favour such methods receiving the full attention of the Irish legal system.

I look forward to you returning to this thread and thinking - 'man he was right I am so sorry I invoked moral cowardice'

"Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Attendee: Brought peace?
    Reg: Oh, peace - shut up!
    Reg: There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all.
    Dissenter: Uh, well, one.
    Reg: Oh, yeah, yeah, there's one. But otherwise, we're solid. "

Wasn't all this in Ireland in return to our passing our fishing rights over to the EU for immediate fiscal return?

Presently Iceland is stealing this from our waters and nothing is being doen about it....

Why what would you hope to achieve by throwing your shoe at him?

perhaps bodily connection? contact to the head?

demonspawn wrote: »
    Alternatively, it empowers ordinary citizens to show just how angry they are with their elected leaders and shows these leaders that they are not untouchable. Also, if politicians start cracking down on protests instead of ensuring their own safety, it merely highlights their wish for a totalitarian police state where people are unable to express their views.

Tell me, where were the violent protesters during that Reclaim the Streets demo in Dublin when the Gardai went nuts cracking people's skulls in broad daylight? What justification did the Gardai have for doing that? Were any Gardai convicted of assault? Same question for the Shell to Sea protests. They were peaceful until the Gardai started attacking.

Good points well made.
    However, this isn't a fair system. Gardai will always justify violence against protestors and they'll gain public support even when it isn't merited, it never works the other way around, the system isn't fair, so ultimately violent protest is always counter productive.
    Protesting itself is essential, just not the type of protest that justify's the further encroachment of the system on the people.

Gardai right now have no interest past filling their days now - ask any of them you know - not interested - if there was a riot I think they would stand aside

nullzero wrote: »
    However, this isn't a fair system. Gardai will always justify violence against protestors and they'll gain public support even when it isn't merited, it never works the other way around, the system isn't fair

Actaully it's the opposite, the Gardai often aren't able to give out a few deserved belts to scumbags breaking the law a lot of the time because there'll be people filming trying to make the Gardai look as bad as possible. I'd say they aren't nearly as physical as they used to be. Some Guards are afraid to use violence against scumbags incase they'll be filmed and lose their jobs

Actaully it's the opposite, the Gardai often aren't able to give out a few deserved belts to scumbags breaking the law a lot of the time because there'll be people filming trying to make the Gardai look as bad as possible. I'd say they aren't nearly as physical as they used to be. Some Guards are afraid to use violence against scumbags incase they'll be filmed and lose their jobs

exactly my point - underpaid undervalued - won't interrupt a deserved riot they agree with but can't involve themselves in

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Some Guards are afraid to use violence against scumbags incase they'll be filmed and lose their jobs

What is the world coming to?? :eek:

• Advertisement

Are you serious?
    How many violent protests are there in this country for starters?
    And isn't it the duty of the Gardai to deal with criminals in a non violent manner that respects their rights as human beings?
    Aren't the Gardai on the side of moral superiority? And you want them to be able to "give out a few deserved belts to scumbags breaking the law". Get real.

nullzero wrote: »
    Are you serious?
    How many violent protests are there in this country for starters?
    And isn't it the duty of the Gardai to deal with criminals in a non violent manner that respects their rights as human beings?
    Aren't the Gardai on the side of moral superiority? And you want them to be able to "give out a few deserved belts to scumbags breaking the law". Get real.

Yes, if some scumbag is refusing to cooperate with them then he deserves it

huh? weren't you expousing non violence like minutes ago?

Is it a case that some pigs are more equal than other pigs now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Soveriegn

Yeah, shouldn't Gardai (guardians of the peace), be setting a good example in showing that violence is never acceptable? .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

"The gardai should have done baton charged them/beat them to the ground yadda yadda" lmao. Some people really do seem to like their authoritarianism mixed in with a good bit of violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

Soveriegn wrote: »
    Yeah, shouldn't Gardai (guardians of the peace), be setting a good example in showing that violence is never acceptable? .

Whut? Seriously whut? Our police are unarmed, what would you have them do when confronting violent offenders? Harsh language?

Di0genes wrote: »
    Whut? Seriously whut? Our police are unarmed, what would you have them do when confronting violent offenders? Harsh language?

violent protest against an undemocractic government?

I would expect them to stand aside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

violent protest against an undemocractic government?

So we should have a revolution based on three delayed by elections?

I think your expectations and reality are at odds with one another.

So we should have a revolution based on three delayed by elections?

no silly I would think dumping all our national savings and tax take into thier buddys banks and investments should be reason enough - the y elections are an example of their complete disregard for democracy and the gombeen irish voter as an example

I think your expectations and reality are at odds with one another.

Sorry bud but I think it is you who are mistaken - perhaps you haven't any friends or family in the guards - I have both and I can tell you they would stand aside right now and these chaps never would have thought it.

Reality is something I am very much in touch with.

• Advertisement

huh? weren't you expousing non violence like minutes ago?

Is it a case that some pigs are more equal than other pigs now?

If they're breaking the law I don't have much problem with Gardai being aggressive trying to apprehend them. Tony Blair wasn't breaking the law when he was signing his book. The people queuing up weren't breaking the law. The rent-a-mob throwing eggs, trying to break a Garda cordon and intimidating the people queuing up were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement