Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notre Dame on eurosport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Not that it means a whole lot but Brian Kelly tells Dan Patrick he will buy him a Guinness in Dublin when they play Navy here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/107801/index.html?eref=sihp

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Greetings Domer - just saw this thread. Nice to see a fellow member of the tribe on the board. Look's like there is a good few supporters here (and there's plenty of room on the bandwagon for all you considering the jump!)

Saw the Purdue game - agree with your assessment - we're still not a top 25 team, but nice to see some fundamental improvements.

A family situation notwithstanding, I'm scheduled to be in South Bend for the Michigan game. If you didn't catch the Michigan-UConn game - Michigan's quarterback, Denard Robinson, looks like greased lightning. Our work's cut out for us. Here's to a respectable season.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Hey Cheesehead,

It cant be anyworse than the last few years!!!

Are you an Alum?

My freshman year under the dome was 1988... I was there for the National Championship... still remember the Miami game - Catholics vs Convicts, and the great Rocket returns!!

Lucky for you getting back for the Michigan game... its always a good one! I got to the ND-Navy game last year in Baltimore, and the BC game in south Bend the year before, but not travelling this year.

Say hi to the Golden Dome and the Grotto for me!!!

Domer

Domer - I was there when you were there. I lived in one of the towers.

ND-Miami '88 - greatest live sporting event I've ever attended, but as this is an Irish board, I must add the greatest sporting celebration I've ever taken part in was after Gary Mackay's goal at Sofia put Ireland into Euro '88. I happened to be in Dublin when the news of Scottish victory hit - good times.

Regarding Rocket Ismail's two kick returns (against Michigan in '89) reminds me of a great line. You may remember most of our offense in the first half of that game consisted of Rocket's kickoff run-back for a TD. At the start of the second half, Bo Schembechler (Michigan's coach) stubbornly kicked off to Rocket, only to have Rocket return a second one back - giving us the margin of victory needed.

Upon hearing Bo died in 2006, an ND buddy said "Did you hear Bo kicked the bucket?" and without hesitation another ND buddy said "And Rocket returned it for a TD!"

If you're ever back and need a ticket for a game at ND - let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Games have been available for years free to air on the NBC channel on the 15W satellite.
    I hope that doesn't change this season now that Eurosport have the rights.

Well they did it. No ND games on FTA anymore :mad:. F**k Eurosport.

I hope to god they use the original commentators and not the terrible one they hired for their Arena League coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Domer wrote: »
    Hey Cheesehead,

It cant be anyworse than the last few years!!!

Are you an Alum?

My freshman year under the dome was 1988... I was there for the National Championship... still remember the Miami game - Catholics vs Convicts, and the great Rocket returns!!

Lucky for you getting back for the Michigan game... its always a good one! I got to the ND-Navy game last year in Baltimore, and the BC game in south Bend the year before, but not travelling this year.

Say hi to the Golden Dome and the Grotto for me!!!

Domer

Was only chatting to the aul fella about this last week. Brought back so many memories. Went crazy watching it in the early hours. Rocket was just amazing. I might be wrong but i think they showed it on Supersports Channel. Looking forward to tomorrows game but think Michigan will be too good but who knows ND could pull off an upset. Enjoy guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Well they did it. No ND games on FTA anymore :mad:. F**k Eurosport.

I hope to god they use the original commentators and not the terrible one they hired for their Arena League coverage.

Which is about the first time anyone has said Mike Carlson is 'terrible'! He's always provided a great mixture of incisive analysis, cutting humour and blunt honesty. He's more understated on this ND commentary because it's just him, but even then he's got enough about him to carry a two-man job by himself. The fact he's able to make salient points to a feed he has no control over just highlights how well atuned to the game he is - more Carlson is no bad thing.

The hate on Eurosport is way overboard - I'm sure far more people will get to see the ND games now they're on Sky, UPC et al than when only people who have the right box (and depending on their set-up, satalite too) and worked through all the hurdles involved to actually be aware of the games and care about them. If people are in a position where Eurosport have eliminated their ability to watch these games altogether it sucks for them but Notre Dame and the college game in general are far better serviced by being on Eurosport.

I know I wouldn't be aware or able to watch these games this season were it not for Eurosport and for that I'm very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Syferus wrote: »
    Which is about the first time anyone has said Mike Carlson is 'terrible'! He's always provided a great mixture of incisive analysis, cutting humour and blunt honesty. He's more understated on this ND commentary because it's just him, but even then he's got enough about him to carry a two-man job by himself. The fact he's able to make salient points to a feed he has no control over just highlights how well atuned to the game he is - more Carlson is no bad thing.

The hate on Eurosport is way overboard - I'm sure far more people will get to see the ND games now they're on Sky, UPC et al than when only people who have the right box (and depending on their set-up, satalite too) and worked through all the hurdles involved to actually be aware of the games and care about them. If people are in a position where Eurosport have eliminated their ability to watch these games altogether it sucks for them but Notre Dame and the college game in general are far better serviced by being on Eurosport.

I know I wouldn't be aware or able to watch these games this season were it not for Eurosport and for that I'm very grateful.

Mike Carlson commentates for British Eurosport. I'm not talking about British Eurosport. I'm talking about the European one which had a different commentator the Arena league.

If Mike Carlson is doing the ND commentary I'd be fine with that. Guess we'll see tonight.
    I'd still prefer if they left the audio feed for the original commentators on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

''Looks like the tattoo guy feel asleep while he was doing Ken Plue's arms''

It's going to be a fun season, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

"It's GREAT to be a MICHIGAN wolverine!"

God, reading you Domers talking about Raghib was painful! He was a talent though and I haven't been comfortable watching Big Blue punt since!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Great game pity ND couldn't get the win in the end. Always felt on that last drive Michigan would get the TD to win. Basically turnovers cost ND and also having to use substitute QBs. Enjoyed the game though and looking forward to 2 weeks time for the next game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thoght that commentator was awful, why can't the take the NBC feed? Didn't realise Montana Jr. was playing for ND either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I agree, the commentator was horrible but I think more so because there was only one person. It can't be easy just talking yourself for an entire football game. Yoyosport are probably too cheap to buy the NBC commentary. Also, you can barely hear the on field noise as well. What makes college games so great are the passionate student fans combined with the cheerleaders and marching bands. You could barely hear that on Yoyosport.

Back from South Bend: It was a close game (again) but it still stinks to lose to Michigan. Our coach performed badly in the game and made at least two decisions that if they'd gone the other way might've changed the outcome of the game. He failed to take a chip shot FG that would have made it 21-10 and if everything else had played out as it did would have given us a 44 yard FG to win the game. He also failed to call a timeout when UM had the ball 1st and goal at the 1, costing us 17 seconds, which would have been three more shots at the endzone from the 26. The back-up QB's were not given a package of plays that would have allowed us to move the ball some and at least keep the score at 14-7 or 14-10 at halftime. All of that is on Kelly and I think he's acknowledged most of that. Robinson is quite the player. If he can stay healthy, Michigan should win a lot of games this year. Way too early to comment on Kelly's performance at this point, but certainly some folks disappointed in South Bend this past weekend. On to Michigan State, where I think we have a decent shot (if Crist stays healthy).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

went to a ND game nearly eight years ago and have to say it was savage. Hope to catch their games now that they are on euro sport. What time is the game this week end?

Notre Dame not on Eurosport tonight :mad: Thought they were showing all the home games?

I'm not sure if this has been posted here or in other threads, but another option for free internet streaming of live ND football games (and many other live sporting events - including many college football games) is: www. atdhe.net

You will need to download Veetle TV (if you don't have it - can download for free from link at site), but the feed is generally very good and a nice option if nothing else is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

cheesehead wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been posted here or in other threads, but another option for free internet streaming of live ND football games (and many other live sporting events - including many college football games) is: www. atdhe.net

You will need to download Veetle TV (if you don't have it - can download for free from link at site), but the feed is generally very good and a nice option if nothing else is available.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055740951

Live stream thread has a few links in there also. But you are right ATDHE is one of the better ones out there for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Is it Mike Carlosn that is commentating for Eurosport 2? He mentioned Eurosport 2 so I guess its not an exclusive American broadcast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Is it Mike Carlosn that is commentating for Eurosport 2? He mentioned Eurosport 2 so I guess its not an exclusive American broadcast.

Just found out on another forum(nfluk.com) that it is Mike, gotta love Mike and the Fighting Irish!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement