Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erdinger

Options
  • 03-09-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I was in the IFI the other night drinking bottles of Erdinger which cost me a staggering €5.75 a pop. Just wondering if anyone knows a place in Dublin where you can get it (or an equivalent - not Paulaner though) at a more reasonable price.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the palace bar/snooker place was €5 for erdinger, budvar & tiger beer 500mls. It is €5.30-5.50 in most pubs.

€5.75 works out at €3.79 for a 330ml, so it is not actually that dear as far as bottles go. Some pubs are now starting to only get the 330ml erdingers in too, and no way they would only charge €3.79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

I think Paulaner is a far tastier beer to be honest. Shy of Germany and a decent Offy, I doubt you'll get either for less than a fiver a bottle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

The porterhouses have it on tap for €5.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

kenon wrote: »
    The porterhouses have it on tap for €5.
    thats actually just a tap which pours frothy liffey water from round the corner....

which essentially isnt much different than erdinger, except theres probably more of a taste off the liffey water!!

anyhow.
    Paulaner or Franziskaner is your only man for readily available Weissbier in Ireland that tastes of something (or Schneider Weiss if you can get it).

(Tangent, Erdinger are now brewing a new weissbier, the "Ur Weiss" which is up there with the best of them.
    Lovely stuff, not watered down at all like the "regular" Erdinger schlop, tasty and not too sweet either. I havent heard it making it as far as Ireland yet unfortunately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

thats actually just a tap which pours frothy liffey water from round the corner....

which essentially isnt much different than erdinger, except theres probably more of a taste off the liffey water!!

anyhow.
    Paulaner or Franziskaner is your only man for readily available Weissbier in Ireland that tastes of something (or Schneider Weiss if you can get it).

(Tangent, Erdinger are now brewing a new weissbier, the "Ur Weiss" which is up there with the best of them.
    Lovely stuff, not watered down at all like the "regular" Erdinger schlop, tasty and not too sweet either. I havent heard it making it as far as Ireland yet unfortunately)

What a load of complete and utter rubbish. You obviously don't know anything about beer, you poor sod! Erdinger is vastly superior to Paulaner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

30kmph wrote: »
    Erdinger is vastly superior to Paulaner.
    Go on....... this should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Both are equally good beers. Its a pity they charge around 5.50 for a pint of the stuff in most places.

Whats the deal there, why charge more for it when on tap than lets say a pint of Heino?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gurramok wrote: »
    Whats the deal there, why charge more for it when on tap than lets say a pint of Heino?
    It's a lot cheaper for Heineken Ireland to brew a beer in Cork than import one from Munich.

Prefer erdinger over paulaner myself,hoping to get a chance to visit the brewery the week after next. Pity it's so expensive in pubs :(

Does anyone find Erdinger have a negative affect on one's breadth? :)

• Advertisement

I was in the 12th lock in Blanchardstown tonight and there were Paulaner promotional staff there giving out free Paulaner and free glasses which I couldn't refuse. :)

I don't like the Paulaner aftertaste. Addressing Gurramok's post, I find most beers non-helpful towards good breath but I wouldn't single out Erdinger as being particularly bad, although I do find it very de-hydrating, which isn't good for breath!

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Addressing Gurramok's post, I find most beers non-helpful towards good breath but I wouldn't single out Erdinger as being particularly bad, although I do find it very de-hydrating, which isn't good for breath!

I thought Gurramok was referring to an expanding waist line.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

anyhow.

O'Briens have the Ur weiss...I didnt think anything of it. Didnt do much for me at all.
    Personally I prefare paulaner to erdinger but even still, i only buy it in bars like the international that dont really offer a decent beer. When it comes to weisses, it Franziskaner or weihenstephaner for this bhoy!!

noby wrote: »
    I thought Gurramok was referring to an expanding waist line.
    He probably was, when I first read it I thought it was just a typo.

It doesn't affect my breath or breadth though. :)

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

He probably was, when I first read it I thought it was just a typo.

It doesn't affect my breath or breadth though. :)

Definitely the waistline :P
    kenon wrote:
    I don't like the Paulaner aftertaste

I think its a bit 'bitter'? I'd drink pints of it though :)

Yeah its a bitterness left at the back of your throat. I've no problems with free Paulaner but I couldn't bring myself to buy it again.

I find Erdinger a cleaner drink.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Yeah its a bitterness left at the back of your throat. I've no problems with free Paulaner but I couldn't bring myself to buy it again.

I find Erdinger a cleaner drink.

Erdinger is cleaner alright, almost like a lager. I'd prefer Paulaner myself, although Schneider is my favourite weissbier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 treacy52

O'Briens have the Ur weiss...I didnt think anything of it. Didnt do much for me at all.
    Personally I prefare paulaner to erdinger but even still, i only buy it in bars like the international that dont really offer a decent beer. When it comes to weisses, it Franziskaner or weihenstephaner for this bhoy!!

Would definitely have to agree there. If you're looking for a weissbier tehn Weihenstephan is the best I've had. Absolutely beautiful stuff. Was delighted one night that I had to go to a party in Cafe en Seine & they had it on the menu there. Thought i was goin to be charged about a tenner for it but it was only 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Erdinger is e4 a bottle in my local pub. It superseded Becks as my regular pint recently.

treacy52 wrote: »
    Would definitely have to agree there. If you're looking for a weissbier tehn Weihenstephan is the best I've had. Absolutely beautiful stuff. Was delighted one night that I had to go to a party in Cafe en Seine & they had it on the menu there. Thought i was goin to be charged about a tenner for it but it was only 5!

considering how expensive Cafe en seine is, thats a great price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Have you ever tried Paulaner/Erdinger with banana juice ?

It's very tasty. A lot of people drink it in Germany including me as I'm german....but don't mention the war ;)

But only put a bit in it, about 1/6 of the whole pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think Erdinger is sometimes unfairly dismissed because it has been around for so long and many people have tired of it but it really was the first quality imported beer to be widely available here and as a result has opened the doors to far greater beer awareness and choice. The dunkle is a fine beer.

My personal favourite weissbiers, commonly available here would be:

Schneiderweiss Original
    Weihenstephaner Dunkle
    Weihenstephaner Hefe
    Erdinger Dunkle
    Erdinger Hefe
    Franziskaner Hefe
    Paulaner (but only in bottles and then , at a push)

in that order

Ironbar wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Paulaner/Erdinger with banana juice ?

It's very tasty. A lot of people drink it in Germany including me as I'm german....but don't mention the war ;)

But only put a bit in it, about 1/6 of the whole pint.

My least favourite weiss flavour is the banana one so the above is not for me!

I think Erdinger is sometimes unfairly dismissed because it has been around for so long and many people have tired of it but it really was the first quality imported beer to be widely available here and as a result has opened the doors to far greater beer awareness and choice. The dunkle is a fine beer.

My personal favourite weissbiers, commonly available here would be:

Schneiderweiss Original
    Weihenstephaner Dunkle
    Weihenstephaner Hefe
    Erdinger Dunkle
    Erdinger Hefe
    Franziskaner Hefe
    Paulaner (but only in bottles and then , at a push)

in that order

Erdinger was the first proper beer I tried! Used to drink nothing but miller beforehand :o Big fan of weihenstephaner and schneiderweisse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

I have to agree with the above sentiments that, although Erdinger is fairly meh in the grand scheme of things, it deserves credit for widening the audience to different and quality beers. I had no idea what wheat beer was until Erdinger came on the scene - and for that I must be grateful!

To my eternal shame however, a subsequent stint as a student saw my heinous relapse back to drinking soul-less pish for the next 3-4 years. For the last few months though, I've got back into the craft beer big time and I have to say I love a nice fluffy weiss (and wit). Personal Top 5 right now are:

Schneider Tap 5 Hopfenweisse...like the extra hoppiness but dangerously drinkable for 8.2%!
    Weihenstephaner Hefe
    Schneider Aventinus
    Schneider Original
    Maisel's Original

I'm lucky in that there's a couple of bars within 10mins walk that serve all these. One of them also serves the fearsome Aventinus Eisbock which is next on the to-drink list...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Don't forget the Franciscan Wells FriarWeisse if you can get it. Lovely stuff in my opinion.

Schneider is my favourite though, especially the Brooklyn-Schneider collaboration SomeDose mentioned: Hopfenweisse.

Saruman wrote: »
    Don't forget the Franciscan Wells FriarWeisse if you can get it. Lovely stuff in my opinion.

Schneider is my favourite though, especially the Brooklyn-Schneider collaboration SomeDose mentioned: Hopfenweisse.

Ah yes, the inconsistent but always good Friarweiss (only had one last night).

friar weisse doesnt do much for me at all. I find it quite bland. Better than Curim Gold though in the irish craft wheat beer catagory IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

friar weisse doesnt do much for me at all. I find it quite bland. Better than Curim Gold though in the irish craft wheat beer catagory IMO

Curim bottled yes but it is a very different beer on tap and on cask it flies in the face of general opinion that wheat beers are rubbish on cask.
    In the bottle however it is no good. Well correction, not much good to me but plenty of others love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

Folks let's not make this a love-in about what is the best weiss beer, just hit me with the prices. Where can I get Erdinger/Schneiderweiss etc at reasonable prices - pubs I mean? Please not Paulaner...

I love drinking quality beer but I have to say it pisses me off being charged 5.75 for a bottle of Erdinger.

Advertisement