Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire on 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

jay93 wrote: »
    o2 branded phones tend to stop you from using another proivders APN
    This was the case with my sony mobile would not let me access the internet over 3G when i had my 3 sim in the phone so had to de-brand the phone from o2 to generic software and it works great now

Is it hard to do this? I have an O2 branded phone and am planning on switching over to 3 once I get it unlocked but if there will be trouble with the phone when I switch I might put it on hold for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

To quote the man himself earlier, "All they have to do is get the good smartphones and they are hands down the best network."

Something went wrong somewhere...

the desire is 399 not 300

I spent a week on their network using data.

On paper and on the surface they seem magical - but they are terrible.

The tech support and the manager even didn't know what they were talking about.

If you are getting bill pay 02/voda and Meteor are good with data etc and the extra price is worth it as they actually have a full proper network, ie three have terrible problems switching back from piggybacking on 02 to their 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 have no relationship with o2, works perfect for me, were you using a 3 phone with those problems?

Sorry they use Vodafones network for GSM.

Switching back and forth from 3g actually on their network to GSM on Voda is fine but switching back was a pain and flaky.

unlocked phone set up perfectly (settings i doubled checked with their customer care team who knew it was not a three device) and worked on their network for a week or so and then the problems started.

When you compare a fiver for 250MB to the flat fee of 99c a day (30 euro a month) or 19c for 1MB (47.50 for 250) or whatever is very compelling but you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I would leave three if I were you - terrible service and worse customer care.

I live in Dublin so they dont get a pass on saying Im not covered.

Sorry, don't agree!
    I find their service to be on par if not better than O2s!
    Customer service? It's based in India, so what? They sorted any issue I had, and answered any questions I put to them quickly and effortlessly!

But most importantly of all, they do NOT shaft their customers like O2 do with ' roaming ' charges in the north, calls to the UK are included in their packages (yip including mobile)

Think folk use to have issues with coverage alright, but by amd large 3 seem to have sorted this.

• Advertisement

I don't care where it is based - thats not the problem.

Not knowing the difference between 3g and wifi is one of my problems with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I don't care where it is based - thats not the problem.

Not knowing the difference between 3g and wifi is one of my problems with them.

Your messing???

that sentence doesn't make sense - but no I am not messing tech support didn't know the difference between wifi and 3g.

When I left them and rejoined meteor and needed them to port my number.
    The manager did not grasp the concept of ''if i have no coverage how can you ring me on my three number''.
    I quit with him because he knew nothing and meteor had to tell me that i could port my number a diff way that the manager on three did not tell me but normal customer care of meteor did.

This was all after getting another clean three sim that was ported using my number and worked but soon was screwed after it switched onto gsm network and then broke.

Eircom are bad - upc are bad etc etc but Three take the biscuit.

In fairness Conor you weren't using a 3 phone when calling tech support, i'm pretty sure they know how their phones work, there pretty slow to release phones due to the seriously testing them, to make sure they work well with the network.
    You weren't using a tested and approved phone and you had a problem, no great surprises there, hardly their fault.

The phone was working on their network, if you read you would know that.

They agreed once it is unlocked and set up right, which is was, there is no problem that it is not a "three phone".

As an aside I got plenty of that nonsense about it not being a three phone from customer care but not from tech support which was nice until the fact they were clueless shone through.

(it was not a three phone because the strung people along for months that the desire was coming soon and didnt sell any decent phones at the time).

• Advertisement

The phone was working on their network, if you read you would know that.

They agreed once it is unlocked and set up right, which is was, there is no problem that it is not a three phone.

Well there can be, i've always used a 3 phone and when I haven't i've had problems, nokia e65 unlocked from o2 and a proper 3 nokia e65 there was a huge difference between handover between 2G and 3G.

Yep but the tech support told me to turn of the phone, and then when it turned back on to go into airplane mode and that reset it to threes network proper and it did not reset and thats when I lost all coverage and had to get the new sim and all the nonsense when I decided to switch back.

They also told me to edit the smsc edit the apn over and over again and lots of other settings to make sure that it reset to the proper network but that didnt work, at that stage it didnt matter if the phone was not from three it was essentially manually reset and still did not work.

it was clear by the end they were useless no matter what phone they were talking about - the settings are the same I used cop on to go into the different menus when they were giving me generic menu titles.

essentially the fact that it was not a three phone became a cop-out by the end - they couldnt solve the problem and brought that back up again in the end.

Your just confirming my point, you weren't using a 3 phone and you couldn't get a non 3 phone to work properly. I'll wager any money when or if they release the desire it will work and it will have signal.

the phone - a non three phone yes well done - was set up and working on the three network.

that was not a problem.

if is more accurate then when concerning the release of the desire by them but the wildfire is out already and also the iphone if you want to see if people have problems with smartphones on three ireland.

http://ogreswamp.info/?p=37

shocking that the iphone has problems switching between 2/3g - ad hoc network produces problems no matter the phone.

if is more accurate then when concerning the release of the desire by them but the wildfire is out already and also the iphone if you want to see if people have problems with smartphones on three ireland.

Ahh I have a Galaxy S on 3, I also had an iphone with them that i'm selling on adverts as I think it's a **** phone for reception, it's apple's fault for that not 3's. Hence I just changed my phone as I know it was not a network problem as i'd been with them so long.
    I've had LG U400, E65, W910i, E71, N95 and iPhone 3GS, all bar the iphone worked perfect on 3.

further problems - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056003333

Of course it is the iPhones fault - interesting when desire and wildfire start reporting problems.

last post as this is pointless

same ''non three phone and non meteor phone and non irish phone'' works fine on meteor except getting robbed on data charges but it works.

Advertisement