Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marie-Louise O Donnell on Kenny

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

congratulations on joining boards I really hope you didnt just sign up so your 1st post could be to drag up a 2 year old thread so you could defend an over dramatic self absorbed individual. this is a dicussion forum if you dont like the fact that people on here have a different opinion to yours maybe you should go set up your own mlod appreciation website where you can ban any users who say any thing negative against her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I don't have no diploma from some fancy university like DCU but this is really poorly written. Who on earth was teaching you?
    but in a country where people commit even minutes of their time to coming on forums

incomprehensible
    and as she bashed my work around and sparked ideas in my imagination as I discovered the power of inspiration.

gibberish-not a proper sentence.

You must have something better to contribute??

This is a statement-no question mark (let alone two) is used. I'd be asking for my fees back if I was you pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Simplyjoe

When you hear your neighbours getting treated with disdain, being objected to stereo-typing and overall being described as lesser than that of your urban cousins you tend to get vocal. When this women espoused her semi-racist comments we reacted. She described country people as having 'the smell of porridge, turf and pray'. This does not describe my neighbours who are intelligent, healthy and open to new cultures and practices. Most don't eat porridge, most use OFCH, and lot do not go to church at all. Are we supposed to ignore her comments - as you say turn off our national broadcaster. It would be a poor country where she would be ignored. Her opinions are based on her immature observations, never delving deeper into what people look like. I don't dislike the person I dislike what she says. I dislike her childlike opinions. I too am entitled to have my say. How dare you object to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beingbrian

Why don't you contribute something grater than complaint then? My point is that contributing something negative never helps anyone, why not defend your opinions with something with an expression that represents your opposing beliefs and allow the majority the chance to choose yours over hers if its deemed favorable? What's wrong with her descriptions of country people, she is a country woman and is describing an old Ireland in the same way a poet would. But you wouldn't bash a poet if they said it. There is no room for people who are not politically correct because we're addicted to political correctness!! What a wonderful state that has left us in! As a 23 year old, I'm delighted to say this is my first time contribution to public conversation and I sure as hell don't need to feel I'm wrong around here. I may not be right either, but I'm not concerned about being right there's no such thing. If this 'two year old thread' was part of a positive contribution to our society, well its incredibly difficult to see the effects round my way at least.

As for the guy having a go at my English, if you don't like it, don't read it...With my education I've got a very good job and so i feel that represents value for money, even (and imagine this) if you don't. I'm not your pal either!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Groucho100

I studied Communication Studies in DCU in the early 90s and I had a very different view of Marie Louise O' Donnell than the person above who says they left DCU in 2011.

It's not really fair of me to say too much while 'hiding behind a username' but I found her to be an appalling woman - all puffed up with affectation, oblivious to the commercial world beyond the hallways of the college, seemingly infactuated with anything that portrayed the Irish as backward and very short with her tongue. Everything was "terribly wonderful" and she got us to practice speaking in RP (Received Pronounciation) in class; she rambled on and on about the work she was doing for the BBC at the time.

I remember that some people in the class got on with her better than I did and that they liked her and found her helpful so I'll say that much for her but I found her a very odd woman.

I see her on VB's show a good bit and she always reminds me of a female version of David Norris.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Bethehokey, look what rose from the dead.
    beingbrian wrote: »
    She is an incredible individual...

"Incredible" is right, having promoted herself and the Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny at every turn on Today with Pat Kenny for years, only to be nicely rewarded by being appointed by Enda Kenny to the parasitical institution that is Seanad Éireann. She offers this society nothing, but she receives c. €100,000 per year from Irish taxpayers for that. If she had principle, she'd decline it. Arrant little mé féiner that she is, she grabbed that money-for-nothing Seanad gig with both hands.

She had dedicated her life to shining a light on the efforts of people who wish to express themselves and finally, as senator, she has been rewarded.

Are you for real? Given her terse, caustic criticisms of people and views which she disagrees with I'd be quite certain that she wants people to "express themselves" only when they're expressing things with which she agrees. There are people who have contributed something positive to Irish society as volunteers. This bilious little toe-rag with notions has, in contrast, never missed an opportunity to use her role in the media to advance her disturbingly vacuous little self. You may have missed the politics: Marie-Louise O'Donnell constantly praised the Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny, who appointed her to the Irish House of Lords/Seanad Éireann as a reward for her sycophancy. That is why she got the €100k per year gig. That you think it's because she's incredibly gifted - for all her pretensions she still doesn't have a basic PhD - is comically naive.

She is passionate and extravagant

So is Eoghan Harris, another Taoiseach-appointed-to-Seanad parasite. Your point?
    the kind of person who would be adored in America or even Britain.... In the future I believe she will be a very influential figure, her determination and passion are far too strong to be deterred.

Ah here. Jesus, Mary and Holy Saint Joseph - who let you out? Seriously.

I was lucky enough to sit in her company on many occasions and as she bashed my work around and sparked ideas in my imagination as I discovered the power of inspiration.

Sweet Lord. Are you Marie-Louise O'Donnell? Nobody could be this sycophantic, except of course Marie-Louise O'Donnell herself.
    It is the sign of a total lack of worthy motivation or inspiration and is typical of what weighs down this country.

Or, rather, it's overweight parasites like your hero feeding at the trough of Irish taxpayers' finances that weigh this state down. You evidently have not noticed either but it is your wannabe academic Marie-Louise O'Donnell who hasn't even the motivation or self-discipline to complete a basic PhD. Easy to talk utter ráiméis on the radio, far more motivation is required to discipline yourself to complete a PhD.
    If you don't enjoy her, turn off your radio

Given that through our licenses we pay for the very same radio service, we have a right to speak out when ego-driven pretentious vacuous shítehawkers like your hero are paid with our money for appearances on the same service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

If this 'two year old thread' was part of a positive contribution to our society, well its incredibly difficult to see the effects round my way at least.

If your hero were "part of a positive contribution to our society", rather than just another vacuous sycophant and parasite on the taxes of those of us who actually work, there would be no need for this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dear Marie Louise will be articulating with verbosity on the virtues delivering coal on Radio1 later on.
    Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

every time i think about tuning into sean i read something like that and flee !

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dear Marie Louise will be articulating with verbosity on the virtues delivering coal on Radio1 later on.
    Can't wait!
    So Kenny dumped her when he left RTE?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

jmcc wrote: »
    So Kenny dumped her when he left RTE?

Regards...jmcc

He dumped all the old bits - so no MLOD, no singer songwriter twaddle (bar that Brian Kennedy does Joni Mitchell thing), no man with dog outside Dept of Family Affairs/gaol/heath offices etc. So they were clearly the work of his producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

"Who is this woman, and where did you find her?"

Advertisement